Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 3 Reload (ex portable thread)

Silva

Arcane
Hey bros, how is difficulty here? Is this piss easy as P5 Royal which was 100% a visual novel, or more like base P5 where there was at least a game in there (well, at least on Hard or Merciless).

If it's like Royal I won't be buying it.

Thanks in advance.

n0wh3r3

Novice
Hey bros, how is difficulty here? Is this piss easy as P5 Royal which was 100% a visual novel, or more like base P5 where there was at least a game in there (well, at least on Hard or Merciless).

Thanks in advance.
It is easier than P5.

Silva

Arcane

Thanks in advance.
It is easier than P5.
Well, that's not necessarily bad. Except if you meant Royal.

You didn't mean Royal.

..right?

n0wh3r3

Novice

Thanks in advance.
It is easier than P5.
Well, that's not necessarily bad. Except if you meant Royal.

You didn't mean Royal.

..right?
yup

Silva

Arcane
Persona was always easy.
C'mon that's not really true. Base P5 was challenging at Hard and Merciless, while P3 FES on playstation2 was also challenging.

It was Royal that fucked it up with new special attacks and "showtime" and stuff, without rebalancing enemies to compensate. And now Reload seems to follow the same path. Though, I can't believe it's so fucked as Royal, thus my question in the OP.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Persona was always easy.
C'mon that's not really true. Base P5 was challenging at Hard and Merciless, while P3 FES on playstation2 was also challenging.

It was Royal that fucked it up with new special attacks and "showtime" and stuff, without rebalancing enemies to compensate. And now Reload seems to follow the same path. Though, I can't believe it's so fucked as Royal, thus my question in the OP.
While you are certainly correct that there are lots of additional layers of mechanics that have been heaped on top that seem to make the game easier, they more often only serve as visual noise imo. The core mechanics of Persona are what still make it very easy and has been that way since the PS2 titles. Social Link XP bursts will always make you snowball and party members with particular (and fixed) skillsets being drip fed to the player makes party management very stress free but also limits what they can do with the challenge. It's a very different dynamic from SMT where the player is responsible for their entire party. Also, Atlus has really cut back on the random Mudo/Hama game overs, which may also have an affect on our perception of the challenge being less now than before. That said I think P3R is a bit more challenging than P5R was at least. And I will concede with you that Baton Pass was a strong mechanic in Royal, which got toned down a lot for the P3 remake. I think this was a good move.

Silva

Arcane
Hobo Elf , should I play P3R on Hard or Merciless?

I hear people saying Merciless at least makes thing a challenging up to midpointz when your party becomes OP and steamrolls everything

But then I hear people saying Merciless just makes enemies sponges and makes fights take too long and so Hard would be better.

Thoughts?

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
after early game merciless is retardedly easy
no sponges rly other than final boss because of mechanics and 1 optional solo fight endgame (which I skipped this time)

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Hobo Elf , should I play P3R on Hard or Merciless?

I hear people saying Merciless at least makes thing a challenging up to midpointz when your party becomes OP and steamrolls everything

But then I hear people saying Merciless just makes enemies sponges and makes fights take too long and so Hard would be better.

Thoughts?
Just go with Merciless. If it's not fun you can downgrade the difficulty.

Silva

Arcane
These gfx feel too light-hearted in tone. Do the atmosphere here ever becomes creepy like the original one?

(or is it my rose tinted glasses speaking, and not even the original was creepy?)

Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
These gfx feel too light-hearted in tone. Do the atmosphere here ever becomes creepy like the original one?

(or is it my rose tinted glasses speaking, and not even the original was creepy?)
Not really. Hell, in a number places P3R is a visual downgrade from FES. The music in reloaded is materially worse as well.

If Persona 3 interests you at all, play the definitive version, eg FES and Skip reloaded.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
who knows, if they follow original design it should be harder and more annoying than base game

shitload of enemies had dodge skill for their weakness which was obnoxious + more insta kill spam + shortcut only after beating boss + no compendium

but new fatlus is not going to make that punishing dlc

Silva

Arcane
How the guys behind mainline SMTs botch Personas difficulty like this is beyond me. Royal was the most brainless, no-game "game" I've ever played. Dropped it midway when I realized it was impossible to die even when making a conscious effort. It seems Reload is in a better spot but even then.. c'mon, these guys curriculum suggest they know how to design good, challenging, balanced gameplay right?

Oh wait, are mainline SMT and Persona different teams?

MasPingon

Arcane
How the guys behind mainline SMTs botch Personas difficulty like this is beyond me. Royal was the most brainless, no-game "game" I've ever played. Dropped it midway when I realized it was impossible to die even when making a conscious effort. It seems Reload is in a better spot but even then.. c'mon, these guys curriculum suggest they know how to design good, challenging, balanced gameplay right?

Oh wait, are mainline SMT and Persona different teams?
It's a shame that this game is so easy, even on hard difficulty it's like a walk in a park. The flow of a fights and presentation are top notch, but sadly there is no challenge. They also removed fatigue system, so you got this feeling you are playing R for retards version of a game, where nothing gives you a problem.

Terra

Cipher
Don't think there is a dedicated codex thread for the remake but you'll soon have the opportunity to give Atlus more money for a more-complete version of the remake.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
so for 100e (digital premium edition) you don't get all bgms / costumes not even mentioning answer dlc

fatlus never changes

Elttharion

Learned
Hey, at least you dont have to buy an entire new version of the game. Its better, right?

:lol:

Silva

Arcane
Shit, I see there's another thread talking about the game.

Hey @Crispy , mind fusing these two or maybe just deleting this and changing the other's name to "Persona 3 Reload" ?

Silva

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom