Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NMAers think Fallout 3 could be a good game.

Mojo

Scholar
It's like I said, if you judge the game by the fallout title it's going to suck indeed. If you take the game for what it is it might not be so bad. You kind of miss reality comparing it to games like Bloodlines. Bloodlines is quite the gem, as was the original Fallout. Fallout 3 is just an unpretentious mainstream game.

There's no "burden of proof" here, personal taste and opinion is not a matter of argument. If you think you can enjoy an oblivion game with a setting inspired by Fallout and actual ( even if poor) roleplaying, Fallout 3 might be worth the price in the bargain bin. If you settle with nothing less than masterpieces and skipped Mass Effect, The Witcher and all other recent crpgs, than you can only re-install Torment or whine at the codex.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
skyway said:
Wtf is wrong with the Codex lately?
Every piece of info about Fallout 3 tells that the game is shit, has terrible combat and so many retarded design choices - and yet codexers say that it can be a good -game-?

Now this is the real decline of the Codex.

Yes. It started 02 Jul 2007.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Mareus said:
Sir_Brennus said:
Claw said:
Fun game, good for hundreds of hours: Heirs to the Throne.

Claw is right.

It's a wonderful game created by Carsten Strehse, who created the also wonderful post nuclear RPG The Fall.
This game the Fall looks awesome. I am getting this! I am just wondering how are the dialogs?

Well, it depends. The 2. (patched) batch of voiced dialogue was fine, but (alas) only in German. Because of some legal mumbo jumbo the game never was released in the US or the UK. There is a fan made language patch that is hosted on Brother None's No Mutants Allowed site: http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=861

elander_

Arbiter
On the contrary Mojo. Reality is not only what happened in the last two years. You have to compare Fallout 3 to the best game that is closest to it's genre, an action/rpg with a first person view and dialog choices and that is Bloodlines for most of us.

"If you settle with nothing less than masterpieces and skipped Mass Effect, The Witcher and all other recent crpgs, than you can only re-install Torment or whine at the codex."

I have no problem with that. People should only settle for the best if it compares to the best. I rather whine at the Codex and replay Torment again than to settle for mediocre game play. It's more fun to replay one of the classics for the 10th time than to play these new games with formulaic dialogs that look like they were all taken from the same bin of Hollywood left overs.

Mareus

Magister
Sir_Brennus said:
Mareus said:
Sir_Brennus said:
Claw said:
Fun game, good for hundreds of hours: Heirs to the Throne.

Claw is right.

It's a wonderful game created by Carsten Strehse, who created the also wonderful post nuclear RPG The Fall.
This game the Fall looks awesome. I am getting this! I am just wondering how are the dialogs?

Well, it depends. The 2. (patched) batch of voiced dialogue was fine, but (alas) only in German. Because of some legal mumbo jumbo the game never was released in the US or the UK. There is a fan made language patch that is hosted on Brother None's No Mutants Allowed site: http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=861
I don't mind playing the game without voices. I just hope the translation is good and I hope the dialog choices are done decently.

For mojo:
All this talk about Fallout 3 being a decent game and a bad RPG is just silly. You can't just take away what Fallout is and say to forget about it. Every time I turn on FO3 I will remember myself what Bethseda did out of once legendary game. You can't and shouldn't forget this! If we do forget it we won't be any better than those sold out review magazines. Just ignore all the crap and imagine the game is not FO. Screw that way of thinking!

Mojo

Scholar
elander_ said:
It's more fun to replay one of the classics for the 10th time than to play these new games with formulaic dialogs that look like they were all taken from the same bin of Hollywood left overs.

You don't say. This whole forum is dedicated to this argument in case you haven't noticed. I know it very well too. I have an ambition to make an indie game simply because the kind of games I like aren't made anymore.

I just think the Fallout 3 bashing is getting old. Since I've been lurking/posting in these forums it seems to be the main theme at hand. It's quite clear the franchise is dead, that the game will pale horribly in comparison to the originals and that the fallout fanbase has been neglected. Repeating it ad nauseaum isn't going to change anything. And claiming the game is a complete piece of shit simply because it fails as a fallout sequel is unreasonable. An improved Oblivion with guns in a fallout inspired setting, with roleplaying, sounds much better to me than Mass Effect and all the crap being released. It could be a fun fps/rpg hybrid, and it will deffinately be a step up from Fallout Tactics and Fallout POS.

xuerebx

Erudite
elander_ said:
I have no problem with that. People should only settle for the best if it compares to the best. I rather whine at the Codex and replay Torment again than to settle for mediocre game play

Ah but what is the purpose of whining if to no avail? Nothing is going to change. And all I see around here is complaining and whining, when will someone actually do something about it? Scrap that, Vince is doing something about it at least (making AoD).

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Mojo said:
claiming the game is a complete piece of shit simply because it fails as a fallout sequel is unreasonable
Killing Beth employees is unreasonable.

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
Mojo said:
elander_ said:
It's more fun to replay one of the classics for the 10th time than to play these new games with formulaic dialogs that look like they were all taken from the same bin of Hollywood left overs.

You don't say. This whole forum is dedicated to this argument in case you haven't noticed. I know it very well too. I have an ambition to make an indie game simply because the kind of games I like aren't made anymore.

I just think the Fallout 3 bashing is getting old. Since I've been lurking/posting in these forums it seems to be the main theme at hand. It's quite clear the franchise is dead, that the game will pale horribly in comparison to the originals and that the fallout fanbase has been neglected. Repeating it ad nauseaum isn't going to change anything. And claiming the game is a complete piece of shit simply because it fails as a fallout sequel is unreasonable. An improved Oblivion with guns in a fallout inspired setting, with roleplaying, sounds much better to me than Mass Effect and all the crap being released. It could be a fun fps/rpg hybrid, and it will deffinately be a step up from Fallout Tactics and Fallout POS.
And maybe FO3 is a shit game in it's own right and even ME and TW were better then it, uh?

Mojo

Scholar
Unradscorpion said:
And maybe FO3 is a shit game in it's own right and even ME and TW were better then it, uh?

Maybe... we will know for sure when it's released. I will admit chances are high that it might suck, given Bethesda's track record.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
BethesdaLove said:
Mojo said:
claiming the game is a complete piece of shit simply because it fails as a fallout sequel is unreasonable
Killing Beth employees is unreasonable.
This is seriouz bizness. I am mafia. Will you detonate bethesda office. Yes/No?

elander_

Arbiter
xuerebx said:
Ah but what is the purpose of whining if to no avail? Nothing is going to change. And all I see around here is complaining and whining, when will someone actually do something about it? Scrap that, Vince is doing something about it at least (making AoD).

Funny that you don't like Fallout 3 discussions and spend so much time whining about it in this thread. The only reason i answered is because Mojo asked for someone to clarify why we don't think Fallout 3 is a good game.

Mojo said:
And claiming the game is a complete piece of shit simply because it fails as a fallout sequel is unreasonable.

Claiming that Fallout 3 is a piece of shit as a Fallout sequel is not, however. Claiming that Fallout 3 game play looks mediocre from the videos is not unreasonable either. If i'm going to pay 50E for a game made in 2008 i expect much more than this shit.

The Codex isn't a shear leader club where we praise everything. Games are compared to the best games and not just the best of the last year and that's how they are evaluated.

Mojo said:
It could be a fun fps/rpg hybrid, and it will deffinately be a step up from Fallout Tactics and Fallout POS.

You never played Fallout Tactics right? Fallout Tactics TB/RT system was much superior to Fallout, much more tactical options, a team TB game, vehicles, etc

Anyway why should anyone be happy with this game because it's better than Fallout POS? I thought we already agree that this isn't a Fallout game but Bethesda vision of a Fallout game using their own game play. That's how we should judge this game.

Mareus said:
Every time I turn on FO3 I will remember myself what Bethseda did out of once legendary game. You can't and shouldn't forget this! If we do forget it we won't be any better than those sold out review magazines. Just ignore all the crap and imagine the game is not FO. Screw that way of thinking!

That's what would happen to me too. But that is to be expected even if they made a Fallout TB game exactly like the originals. Fallout would always feel a different game and only the original devs would be capable of making a Fallout game that have the feeling of the originals.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sir_Brennus said:
It's a wonderful game created by Carsten Strehse
Really? Hmm, according to The Legacy he did work on the graphics.

Interestingly, SilverStyle claims responsibility for Mad TV. I'm not sure what the connection is there.

Ah, so many old games I have to think of now.

ushdugery

Scholar
I don't know how someone can say the rpg elements don't make the grade but it's an okay game, you can't tell me this will have shooter elements as good as gears of war or cod4. Which kinda says to me this is a not very good game if you strip away it's shitty rpg elements and I just don't see how it's going to be any sort of quality.

Vibalist

Arcane
ushdugery said:
I don't know how someone can say the rpg elements don't make the grade but it's an okay game, you can't tell me this will have shooter elements as good as gears of war or cod4. Which kinda says to me this is a not very good game if you strip away it's shitty rpg elements and I just don't see how it's going to be any sort of quality.

To be fair, a game like Stalker had inferior FPS mechanics too compared to other straight shooters, but that game made up for it with superior athmosphere. You can't really know if Fallout 3's assortment of gameplay elements and features will make up for it being a somewhat lacklustre shooter and RPG. The sum could be greater than the indivivdual parts.

I really think people should be reserving judgement.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Vibalist said:
Vibalist said:
Vibalist said:

My question is: WHY?

Isn't the point of "reserving judgement" valid when you know jack shit about a game... like... I don't know - Afterfall. In the case of FO3 we have enough info (yes, I know, for some of you seeing as someone is playing may not be enough), but still some of you morons are saying maybe, maybe, maybe without ANY proof while hinding behind the "IMHO".

The sum could be greater than the indivivdual parts.
No shit Sailor, but your "argument" lacks something or rather it is the "other way around":
Shit+Shit=/=Good
the proper equalization is
Good+Good=Great

If you don't understand this go read TW's review on RPGWatch.

Anaglyph

Novice
WhiskeyWolf said:

Because it's absolutely impossible to extrapolate how a game will turn out when you have a large amount of information about it and ten minutes of video of someone playing it plus previous efforts of the developers to examine. Obviously. How could anyone possibly make any useful predictions under such circumstances?

Vibalist

Arcane
WhiskeyWolf said:
Vibalist said:
Vibalist said:
Vibalist said:

Isn't the point of "reserving judgement" valid when you know jack shit about a game... like... I don't know - Afterfall. In the case of FO3 we have enough info (yes, I know, for some of you seeing as someone is playing may not be enough), but still some of you morons are saying maybe, maybe, maybe without ANY proof while hinding behind the "IMHO".

The sum could be greater than the indivivdual parts.
No shit Sailor, but your "argument" lacks something or rather it is the "other way around":
Shit+Shit=/=Good
the proper equalization is
Good+Good=Great

If you don't understand this go read TW's review on RPGWatch.

Goddamnit. What the hell did I say that warrented a response like this? Even if you disagree, is there any reason at all to go about it like a sarcastic jerk? Can't you save these kind of comments for the dumb fanboys?

I'm saying people should be reserving judgement because no amount of previews and gameplay videos can compare to playing the goddamn game. Is it so hard to imagine that the game just might turn out to be decent enough due to a factor that we haven't thought about because we haven't had our hands on the final product yet?. Is it completely and utterly inconcievable that the game might surprise you, and that you might just be a touch too prejudiced for your own good here?
I agree with the RPGCodex on a lot of things, but some of these threads are fucking ridicolous. There's no way you can know how you'll like the game without playing it, so stop acting like it. How it seems reasonable whining about a product you haven't bought is beyond me.

I'm not trying to say that I am not pessimistic about the game myself. I don't think it looks very good either. But until the day I'm actually holding the game in my hands and is able to judge the pros and cons based on my own playing experience, I'm not gonna pass judgement on the thing for the same reason I don't judge movies based by their trailers and books by their covers.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Goddamnit. What the hell did I say that warrented a response like this?

Because this is the codex, the most chaotic evil RPG forums in the whole world. Expect nothing but hate here and enjoy your stay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom