Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NMAers think Fallout 3 could be a good game.

Helton

Arcane
You know swallowing acid and having it melt all of your organs from the inside out -- all the while being unable to scream -- sounds like it would really blow, but let's not judge it until we've tried guys. Come on. Be objective an compromise and shit.

edit: Also, kill youirself.
edit2: My bad, I made that joke in this thread already. That was really lame and stupid, but I stand by it nonetheless.

Mojo

Scholar
I think the hatred of Fallout 3 is justified to die hard fallout fans, but far from reasonable to anyone else. Fallout 3 right now appears to be a vastly improved Oblivion, with an interesting setting, actual roleplaying and an actual artistic direction. For all I know about the game so far it will probably be much better to me than recent stuff such as the NWN2 OC and The Witcher.

Yes, it's deffinately a slap in the face of the Fallout Franchise, and it's deffinately not without it's flaws, but why is it bound to be such a horrible game? Specially in comparison to the latest crop of CRPGs?

Vibalist

Arcane
Mojo said:
I think the hatred of Fallout 3 is justified to die hard fallout fans, but far from reasonable to anyone else. Fallout 3 right now appears to be a vastly improved Oblivion, with an interesting setting, actual roleplaying and an actual artistic direction. For all I know about the game so far it will probably be much better to me than recent stuff such as the NWN2 OC and The Witcher.

Yes, it's deffinately a slap in the face of the Fallout Franchise, and it's deffinately not without it's flaws, but why is it bound to be such a horrible game? Specially in comparison to the latest crop of CRPGs?

Maybe it's not going to be that terrible, but I can't agree that people should be optimistic about this release just because other recent games like NWN2 OC weren't good. So, 95% of the cRPG's released these days suck. Does that mean we should be alright with Fallout 3 being mediocre?

For the record, I'm not saying it *will* be mediocre. I'm reserving judgement, but I am a bit worried about it. It doesn't look like a true sequel at all, which I think many people are too quick to forgive Bethesda for. How they can get away with marketing this as a true Fallout 3 follow-up when it doesn't look like one at all is beyond me.

Nael

Arcane
Helton said:
You know swallowing acid and having it melt all of your organs from the inside out -- all the while being unable to scream -- sounds like it would really blow, but let's not judge it until we've tried guys. Come on. Be objective an compromise and shit.

edit: Also, kill youirself.
edit2: My bad, I made that joke in this thread already. That was really lame and stupid, but I stand by it nonetheless.

Lye works much better. Besides.. some types of acid are more fun than video games anyway.

Mojo

Scholar
Vibalist said:
Maybe it's not going to be that terrible, but I can't agree that people should be optimistic about this release just because other recent games like NWN2 OC weren't good. So, 95% of the cRPG's released these days suck. Does that mean we should be alright with Fallout 3 being mediocre?

For the record, I'm not saying it *will* be mediocre. I'm reserving judgement, but I am a bit worried about it. It doesn't look like a true sequel at all, which I think many people are too quick to forgive Bethesda for. How they can get away with marketing this as a true Fallout 3 follow-up when it doesn't look like one at all is beyond me.

I'm not optmistic. Far from it, I just think Fallout 3 might be a decent, mildy enjoyable game, and I have a feeling it will be better than Mass Effect, The Witcher and other recent rpgs that didn't hit me. I'm deffinately not cheering about it :?

And Bethesda deffinately didn't "get away with it". Remember they are being bashed by all all sides, everywhere. Forget about the postive game press ( is there a negative game press regarding big companies?) or the fanboys ( every big company has them by large), there's a lot of bad word going about this game since it was announced, and this will deffinately have a negative effect.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I'm not optmistic. Far from it, I just think Fallout 3 might be a decent, mildy enjoyable game, and I have a feeling it will be better than Mass Effect, The Witcher and other recent rpgs that didn't hit me. I'm deffinately not cheering about it
:facepalm:

Mojo

Scholar
WhiskeyWolf said:

So, did I just made a horrible gramar mistake ( english is not my native language) or are you a troll?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
WhiskeyWolf said:
I'm not optmistic. Far from it, I just think Fallout 3 might be a decent, mildy enjoyable game, and I have a feeling it will be better than Mass Effect, The Witcher and other recent rpgs that didn't hit me. I'm deffinately not cheering about it

entertainer

Arbiter
WhiskeyWolf said:

xuerebx

Erudite
Mojo said:
WhiskeyWolf said:

So, did I just made a horrible gramar mistake ( english is not my native language) or are you a troll?

No you're just expected by some people to like certain games because they seem to have liked them. Don't worry, you don't have to, just ignore it.

Helton

Arcane
Mojo said:

See, this is what I don't get. Why the burden of proof always seems to be leaned over here. I'm not DU or VD and I'm honestly just too lazy to research the fuck out of a game I'm almost 100% sure will suck -- then make long ass posts with little poetic flourish (so as not to overload some of the stiffs who can't derive any emotion/humor from text or context) -- then have long ass point-by-point discussions with dishonest, half-assed opposition. But that's the way this shit always seems expected to unfold.

Why don't you tell me why it isn't going to suck? I mean, actually show me. Because as far as I'm concerned, games suck by default. If there's nothing exceptional about the game, it sucks. "I don't see what makes it so horrible" is missing the sun for the stars. The most blaring flaw is the lack of strengths, and all the stupid tertiary shit is just icing. Games are elective entertainment. If you're playing something simply because it doesn't aggravate the hell out of you or offend your sensibilities, you're a fucking loser. "I don't see what makes it so horrible" -- You're a fucking loser.

Vastly improved Oblivion? Vastly? How?
Interesting setting? What's interesting about it? If before I thought you couldn't make post-apoc generic and lame, I'd say I was proven wrong.
Role-playing? Really?
Artistic Direction? Other than the concept art they outsourced for? Where have you seen anything a fraction as good in game?

elander_

Arbiter
Mojo said:
Fallout 3 right now appears to be a vastly improved Oblivion

They had to do something because the game was being riped by players, not the journalist whores who felt the need to correct their 9/10 scores later after the players reaction.

I wonder if they are going to give Fallout 3 a 14/15 score to show this game is much better than Oblivion.

Why would anyone judge a game as good because the last crop of crpgs is bad? That's perverting the judgement. If you want to compare Fallout 3 then compare it to Bloodlines. Right now i would say that Fallout 3 combat shows serious flaws and i admit that Emil's work is very acceptable but i don't think that the excessive use of Karma is appropriate.

For example, in the demo videos you find a power fist on the floor inside the market building. Why would anyone have a weapon as powerful as a power fist abandoned in the floor? In Fallout such a weapon would be inside a locked container and well guarded or only accessible from merchants found in the major cities because it can greatly unbalance the game. This is very bad and i haven't seen any indication that the glove was put there for demo purposes.

The AI looks even worst than in the original Fallouts. I never seen an NPC fight in close combat with a riffle in Fallout. They usually switch to a close combat weapon or run away to gain distance.

VATS is the worst of my concerns. I don't see how that thing can be fun in any way. You can't turn off or speed up the death animations. For those guys who intend to play only with VATS they have to run around and wait for their APs to regenerate which according to Bethesda will slow down AP regeneration. This meens that you maybe forced to play the game like a FPS like it or not. For those guys to which Bethesda said they could play the game with VATS only this looks like a load of bull.

Heresiarch

Prophet
HAR HAR

See? My prophecy was correct. NMA is already on the road of doom. The Codex will be the next.

Also, don't forget the first particle collision of the LHC will happen during October. The collision may mean the end of the world or even the universe. And FO3 is also out in October. Coincidence? I think not.

FALLOUT 3 WILL DESTROY THE WORLD

elander_

Arbiter
Fallout 3 will be the best game evah. Even better than Oblivion which was the best game evah. If the world ends in October it has to be LHCs fault. You don't mess with Gods balls without suffering the consequences.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Wtf is wrong with the Codex lately?
Every piece of info about Fallout 3 tells that the game is shit, has terrible combat and so many retarded design choices - and yet codexers say that it can be a good -game-?

Now this is the real decline of the Codex.

elander_

Arbiter
skyway said:
Every piece of info about Fallout 3 tells that the game is shit, has terrible combat and so many retarded design choices - and yet codexers say that it can be a good -game-?

I enjoyed characters acting. Sorry.

xuerebx

Erudite
skyway said:
Wtf is wrong with the Codex lately?

Now this is the real decline of the Codex.

Every piece of info says that it looks like a great game. Whether or not that's true is another matter.

bezimek

Scholar
Every piece of info says that it looks like a great game. Whether or not that's true is another matter.

"Lie repeated enough - becomes truth" or sth like that :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom