Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect 2 is out?

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Bioware has finally broken Volourn's steadfast will.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
1125yd4.jpg

And lol at volourn having a meltdown over what is probably bioware's best title.

Monocause

Arcane
Volourn said:
"(ME1 ability based classes were completely useless when compared to the soldier)"

Absolute. fuckin'. bullshit. of. the fuckin'. highest. fuckin'. order.

And, whetehr you like it, ME2's game mchanics are simply a dumbed down version of ME1 which weakens the experience. FFS Dumb PC gamers forcing BIo to dumb down their console games. FFS Ruin it for all of us. FFS

Anything to back that up? I recall trying to play an adept and found the class infinitely worse - when you used up your abilities you were practically dependent on your party members - and the AI didn't work as it should, leaving most of the dirty work in your hands. You ended up having to waste a lot of time harvesting the baddies with a pistol - the soldier did it much faster with his better weaponry skills.
I finally played as the soldier/tech hybrid class, but never really found a use for the talents during combat, I simply sniped my way through the game.
I played the same class in ME2 and found that the abilities saved my ass multiple times. Incinerate and AI hacking were very, very useful.

There is a difference between reduction and dumbing down. I believe that simplifying the character system provided an ultimately better solution for this type of game. I'd prefer the inventory to still be there with a revamp, of course, but I like ME2 option better than the clusterfuck full of useless garbage that ME1 provided.

Come on, Volly, ME2 is really miles better than ME1. I don't think there's any argument to be made here.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
ME2 gameplay is dumbed down. This is fuckin' undisputable fact that has been proven time,a nd time again.

Monocause

Arcane
Volourn said:
ME2 gameplay is dumbed down. This is fuckin' undisputable fact that has been proven time,a nd time again.

How so? Removal of the inventory can be considered dumbing down, true. The rest? Don't think so. Ammo introduction, for instance, is an example of something exactly opposite to "dumbing down", just see the reaction on the bio boards if you need evidence (I just hope they won't ditch the mechanic for ME3 because of it).

There was a shitload of weapons and armor in ME1, and it all was pretty useless. You could finish the game with starting equipment. I checked - equipped it during the final showdown and the game was still a breeze, fight with Saren included - it just took longer to take everything down.
ME2 choice of weaponry and armor is too limited, but at least your choices seriously affect the gameplay. The Viper sniper rifle and the Widow are completely different and you use them differently. Viper served as my primary weapon (large clips, quick shooting, low damage), when I switched to the Widow I usually went in with the SMG or the pistol and used the Widow for hard targets (small clip, slow shooting, huge damage). Heavy weapons are even more distinct and each of them provides a viable alternative and suits different situations and tactics. I usually took the Geth gun but switched to the missile launcher sometimes - and I took the nuke gun once on Tuchanka where I expected that some big shit will come up, didn't regret it.
Care to provide a similar example from ME1?

The character system was reduced, not 'dumbed down'. The points you invest make a major difference; in ME1 I couldn't feel the difference my stat points made most of the time. Are you arguing that the talents should be there just for the sake of "more RPG-ness"?

Don't even try to say that the storyline, quests or the party members were 'dumbed down' in any way. ME1 feels like a cheesy and boring class Z sci-fi flick in comparison.

Look, I'd prefer if Bioware expanded on the RPG elements and improved them instead of reducing them, but the game works fine the way it is now. The first part was never a serious RPG anyway, it feels better when they dropped false pretenses and worked on the fun factor instead.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"but the game works fine the way it is now."

WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF

Look, if you aren't interested in a discussion just say so. This above quote, plus a half dozen other points in your posts (and others who are arguing) just goes to show you aren't even interested in debate. You just want someone to mimic what you think. That's kewl, but just own it.

It's embarassing.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Talk is cheap. Just do it. Or you are a coward. *Are* you a COWARD?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Volourn said:

ME2 is a quality shooter with a story. They removed some RPG elements from ME, and as a result ME2 is better shooter than ME was. That's an improvement. You know sometimes less is more.

I consider ME2 a fine descendant from Deus ex, though lack of stealth is dragging it down. (And for the record, I consider Deus ex to be a shooter.)

Monocause

Arcane
Who am I parroting, Volly? My opinion on the game stems from the fact that I've enjoyed ME2 very much and am currently doing another playthrough - without being bored.

Why are you so butthurt anyway?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Who am I parroting, Volly? My opinion on the game stems from the fact that I've enjoyed ME2 very much and am currently doing another playthrough - without being bored.

Why are you so butthurt anyway?"

Read our back and forth about ME2, and you'll know why. U R DUM

You argue about things I wasn't even arguing. Useless.

"ME2 is a quality shooter with a story. They removed some RPG elements from ME, and as a result ME2 is better shooter than ME was. "

No. ME2 is still an Action RPG just like ME1. Just withn weaker, dumbed down combat. I enjoyed ME1's combat. And, with ME2, I'd rather play scan the planet mini game. L0LZ

Not that it's completely horrible ala BL or KOTOR series but it's just dumb that they dumbed it down so much.

Monocause

Arcane
Look, if you aren't interested in a discussion just say so. This above post, plus a half dozen other points in your posts (and others who are arguing) just goes to show you aren't even interested in debate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom