Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect 2 is out?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Stop lying to yourself, even ME1 was pretty simplified for an ActionRPG already and ME2 just crossed the line."

Dumbed down Action RPG is still an Action RPG.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Volourn said:
"Stop lying to yourself, even ME1 was pretty simplified for an ActionRPG already and ME2 just crossed the line."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFyGaJGU ... re=related
This is an Action RPG. ME2 is just a shooter.

I know several algorithms which when they are simplified are indistinguishable from another simplified algorithm. Or said simply: A cart without wheels is indistinguishable from a sled without runners.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Volourn said:

I apologize for speaking for you.

entertainer

Arbiter
its as close to rpg as it gets, codex veteran ricolikesrice had the following to say with which i d agree 100%:

Mass Effect 2 has heart. It has soul. If Mass Effect 2 sang the Blues, you'd want to listen. This is a game made by people who genuinely loved what they were doing, and it's clear that rather than asking themselves "How can we best serve the market?", the developers instead asked "Wouldn't it be awesome if . . .?" It has all the enthusiasm and the quirkiness (for better and worse) of an indie game, but the production values that only a multi-million dollar budget will buy.

It has flaws - plenty of them - but ultimately it's a great game. I have had more fun with Mass Effect 2 than with any RPG released in the last few years. Mass Effect 2 is not "game as art," as Planescape: Torment and (more recently) Mask of the Betrayer have tried to be. Instead, it is "game as game", something that has been equally rare recently in the RPG genre. There is a focus on gameplay, on RPG mechanics, on depth of setting and on immersion.

All in all, I liked Mass Effect 2 very much. Someone might now ask ‘wait, what? So many flaws from the linear corridor level design to regenerating health to shitty AI, but he still says it’s a very good game?’. Well, yes, the game is definitely not flawless, but the cons are totally overshadowed by the pros, and most of the flaws are actually rather minor for this type of gameplay. The plot is rather silly, planets are underdeveloped, but then again, it’s not what this game is about. What it's about is exploration of the universe, getting to know many interesting NPCs, gathering loot, fighting challenging fights, renegade/paragon options, and… romance. Believe me when I say that the romances will imprint themselves in your memory for a long time if you play it properly, and I just can’t find words to describe how marvellous they were.

Now we can only hope that Biowares next game will have the story of Dragon Age and the gameplay of Mass Effect 2, which I might say could be the recipe for a monumental cRPG.

Mass Effect 2 is enjoyable, addictive, and deeply satisfying, and I wholeheartedly recommend it. If the Codex gave numerical scores, I'd give this an 8.5 out of 10. Since we don't, pretend you didn't see that.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Grifthin said:
The game performs much better than the first though and does not seem to have the same slowdown that occured in the first ME1.

ME1 works flawlessly for me.
ME2 is almost unplayable because of a horrible stutter.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Lavoisier said:
BLOBERT said:
BRO IT IS A TOTAL PEECE OF SHIT DON'T LISTEN TO THESE FAGGOTS THEY WILL TELL YOU IT IS GOOD FOR WHAT IT IS THIS ISNT BRIAN SURGERY IT SHOULD BE GOOD FOR WHAT IT ISNT AS WELL

:lol:

:lol: Few more zingers and might stop ignoring him :lol:

Grifthin

Educated
@ Volourn

Why ? Seriously whats the point in having 12 Odd Skills in the first with four of them being weapon skills, and half the classes just being a hybrid (half/half) other classes ? Don't you prefer your James bond action hero uber soldier to actually be able to hit something ? Also Isn't it better that each class is a little more diversified with a unique skill or two to each class now ? Incidentally if you take out the weapon skills you end up with the same amount of skills in ME2 and in ME1. 8.

Example of infiltrator.
ME1
You would have 10 skills if excluding weapon skills and And including Charm/Intimidate.
In ME2
You charm/intimidate are tied to your conversation options so they still exist - You don't spend skills you choices in conversation unlock more options.
Weapon skill is determined by the players ability to aim.
Still 8 Skills left same as the first. Current infiltrator has the following in ME1:

Fitness
Tactical Armor
Dycryption
Electronics
Damping
First Aid
Infiltrator
Spectre Training
Charm
Intimidate
Shiper Rifles
Pistols

in ME 2 I have:

Incinerate
Cryo Ammo
Disruptor Ammo
Tactical Cloak
AI Hacking
Operative
Fortrification
Warp Ammo
Unity

Hmmmm - So Lets see - no gun skills - as it's down to player skill and no Charm intimidate as that's down to the players choices with conversations granting more paragon/renegade points which open up more options. In addition every power can be evolved into two different types. Doesn't this mean that there are more skills in ME 2 than one ?

Szioul

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria Pathfinder: Wrath
Grifthin said:
@ Volourn

Why ? Seriously whats the point in having 12 Odd Skills in the first with four of them being weapon skills, and half the classes just being a hybrid (half/half) other classes ? Don't you prefer your James bond action hero uber soldier to actually be able to hit something ? Also Isn't it better that each class is a little more diversified with a unique skill or two to each class now ? Incidentally if you take out the weapon skills you end up with the same amount of skills in ME2 and in ME1. 8.

Notice that 3 of your skills are ammo, which were handled as weapon mods in ME1. It doesn't even make sense having different ammo as skills you can upgrade.
EDIT: And the weapon skills in ME1 unlocked abilities as well, not just improve your accuracy and damage.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Szioul said:
Grifthin said:
@ Volourn

Notice that 3 of your skills are ammo, which were handled as weapon mods in ME1. It doesn't even make sense having different ammo as skills you can upgrade.
EDIT: And the weapon skills in ME1 unlocked abilities as well, not just improve your accuracy and damage.

Are you Melcar?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Also Isn't it better that each class is a little more diversified with a unique skill or two to each class now ? "

Fyuck. You are dumb. The classes are less diversised. Thde 'magic' classes are just shooters now. Your sonic powers are fuckin' lame as tyheya re most useful when the enemy no longer has armour and by the time that occurs you might as well finish them off by shooting them anyways.

When I used a magic user in the first game they played different than soldier. FFS

As for your pathetic opinion on the dialogue skillz, it just proves your ignorance. It's dumbed down becaus eeveryone now has access to them., It should be player choice on how much of a smooth talker their character is. Just more dumbing down.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
As I've said before, Shephard isn't the real problem with ME2's system, the companions are. They're all very interchangeable and have only 4 skills. 4 skills is nothing, especially not when one is locked in the beginning and one is "generic increase everything".

If only Shephard had convo/out of combat skills...

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
At first I looked at the removal of weapon skills as a dumbing down of the game but when you think about it Shepard should be close to maxed out by now anyway. The difference between having your weapon skills 3/4 to full and full was marginal anyway. But then from what I understand you can get the ability to add a new weapon. Thats where this breaks down.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Kaanyrvhok said:
At first I looked at the removal of weapon skills as a dumbing down of the game but when you think about it Shepard should be close to maxed out by now anyway.
Uh and why's that? What if Shepard was a high class biotic expert before ME2? How come his biotic skills aren't maxed out?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Mangoose said:
Kaanyrvhok said:
At first I looked at the removal of weapon skills as a dumbing down of the game but when you think about it Shepard should be close to maxed out by now anyway.
Uh and why's that? What if Shepard was a high class biotic expert before ME2? How come his biotic skills aren't maxed out?
New implants, he uses L5 now, instead of L3.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Mangoose said:

As mentioned, Biotics got a boost in more ways than one. In ME 1 Adepts have to at least initially accentuate their biotics with good pistol play. So its realistic for even an Adept to max or come close to maxing Pistol. My problem with removing weapon skills has more to do with the posibility that you can gain an extra weapon. I dont know if this is true but if it is its instantly maxed without skills. Can anyone confirm?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Yes, at one point in the game you get to choose a new weapon class. The only one that seems restricted is heavy shotguns, requiring shotgun proficiency. Other than that, you can choose whatever you like.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Kaanyrvhok said:
As mentioned, Biotics got a boost in more ways than one. In ME 1 Adepts have to at least initially accentuate their biotics with good pistol play. So its realistic for even an Adept to max or come close to maxing Pistol.
Nonsense. Biotics boost? They're neigh useless compared to ME1. Barrier is still useful but no way near ME1 Barrier.

Kaanyrvhok said:
My problem with removing weapon skills has more to do with the posibility that you can gain an extra weapon. I dont know if this is true but if it is its instantly maxed without skills. Can anyone confirm?
WTF are you talking about? There are no weapon skills in ME2. The weapons you can use depend on your class. During the game you get to choose an additional weapon if that's what you mean.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Yes, at one point in the game you get to choose a new weapon class.

Which makes a lot of sense, too, RP-wise. But hey, fuck it, it could be worse / it's fun / I like it better now / it's good for what it is / Bioware is about storytelling role-playing installing the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom