Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect 2 is out?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
SPOILERZ CAUSE I AM KEWL LIKE THAT SPOILERZ

Does anyone who who got Garrus know if dealing with that one mech before hand will save half his face or is that unavoidable?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Volourn said:
SPOILERZ CAUSE I AM KEWL LIKE THAT SPOILERZ

Does anyone who who got Garrus know if dealing with that one mech before hand will save half his face or is that unavoidable?
Not marked for spoilers because I am kool.

It is unavoidable. Assuming you mean killing the repairman in the X-treme action event, that just reduces the planes health by 30% or so.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Kinda dissapointing then. That could been a prime oppurtuntity for some hardcore C&C.

When it first happened, I was like shit, did I just Garrus die (or at least lose half his face) simply because I wasn't EXTREME enough to be renegade. That coulda benen kewl shit to show that sometimes EXTREME is the answer.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I don't think BioWare are Xtreme enough to kill a character off just because of one little decision like that.

I agree that it would have been awesome if they were though.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Yeah, that's why I asked. I had my doubts because I'm sure the BIO boards would be spammed with posts like "WTF BIO! I HATE YOU1 YOU KILLED GARRUSSSSSSS!"

A nice compromise would have been a hit to his shooting talents (afterall, he's missing half his face lol). If ME series had ability scores/actual stats, that could have been used too. Not a HUGE deal; but could have been neato.

Jaedar said:
Trash said:
Hint: there is nothing randomn about it.
As a person who lost his favorite companion(Legion <3) I'd be pretty interested to know the exact workings of the permadeaths.
You need all your companions loyal and sent to a specific task, if not either they will die or someone else will die as a result of that. From what I've heard Legion is good in the vents. Garrus should lead the team both times, Samsara (sp?) should hold the barrier and send Mordin back.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
That's just the thing, I used Legion in the vents(and he still died), although I had 3 characters who weren't loyal, so it could have been because of that I suppose.

Drew Karpyshyn wrote for both (the writer of the Darth Bane books) but Mac Walters was the lead writer for this one.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The whole game has quite different tone. All the previous side-kicks are slightly on the angsty side. And even the paragon Sheppard takes no shit from nobody and grabs collars occasionally.

It is like watching an episode of 24, 'cept that Sheppard doesn't have any human faults like Jack Bauer does.

The Wizard

Educated
Haba said:
The whole game has quite different tone. All the previous side-kicks are slightly on the angsty side. And even the paragon Sheppard takes no shit from nobody and grabs collars occasionally.

It is like watching an episode of 24, 'cept that Sheppard doesn't have any human faults like Jack Bauer does.
well, it's not a flaw, but you can give him facecancer(custom appearance) if you so desire.

great game. dialogue choices were very extreme. i am pleased.

it's also good to see that bioware now has a writer who can... you know, write?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
BTW if you'd like to have a laught go with Garus and Jack to the Justicar mission.

Hey Bioware was it really necessary to have one line fits all comments?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Satori said:
Drew Karpyshyn wrote for both (the writer of the Darth Bane books) but Mac Walters was the lead writer for this one.

Interesting, must be why the story is so much more enjoyable this time.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
fizzelopeguss said:
Does this game have new writers on it or something? garrus is such a fucking badass now.

I think that whoever wrote his dialogue also wrote for Tiara. Both are much more interesting. Though I must admit that the overwhelming amount of dialogue and characterisation was miles above ME 1 and was actually quite enjoyable. Then again, I avoid the relationship shit like the plague.

TNO

Augur
The 'if this NPC fucks up, someone else dies' sounds like a nice bit of C&C. In real life, I guess you can't always guarantee 100% which NPCs want to die.

So, can we have a Codex Consensus plz? Is this game actually alright, or is this going to be another DA double-reversal?

BirdsCanFly

Educated
Well first of all there is no derp-road (as far as I've played) which is like +1000 points in my book. I like it, and I'm going to play it some more right now.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
MapMan said:
I just found out (on gamespot forums) what ME2 is:

It's a GAME where you PLAY the ROLE of a character in a story and SHOOT things from a THIRD PERSON perspective.

Brilliant.

In all my years on the codex, no one has been able to explain to me what an rpg is exactly. VD made up a load of shit about "choices and consequences" that seemed to spread around the forum. But of course that means you can count the number of "RPG's" on one hand and still have digits left over.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Yeah, mass effect 1 and 2 cuz they're the only titles where the choices carry over to the next game. r00fles!

Pack it up bitches, biowhore slamdunked the codex.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
fizzelopeguss said:
Yeah, mass effect 1 and 2 cuz they're the only titles where the choices carry over to the next game. r00fles!

Pack it up bitches, biowhore slamdunked the codex.
Not the only ones. If you were playing Baldur's Gate 2 with a character imported from the first game, Drizzit remembered your meeting at the Sword Coast and reacted differently if you helped or fought him.

Inanity

Novice
My major complaint so far is with making targeting strictly a function of player control.If you are even slightly off from centered on a target you are just wasting ammo.

That and Kelly is just muff teasing my female Shepard.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
dragonfk said:
I think that you need only two bits to count RPGs with C&C.
2 bits means range from 0x0 - 0x3 assuming nonsigned integer. Lets guess they are using a standard way how to work with integer numbers, thus they must include 0 in the range. This means the range must be 2-3, because range 0-1 require only one bit. (Of course when zero is not included in the set, the range would be 3-4)

Do you mean FO, FO2, and Arcanum?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS SORRU BUT YOU GUYS ARENT BRIAN SURGEONS RPGS ARE GAMES THAT ARENT FUN AND MOST PEOPLE DONT LIKE BUT MAKE YOU SEEM SMART

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
qoued4.png

Monocause

Arcane
The game is good. Much, much better than ME1. Not much sense in looking at it as a fully fledged RPG, it's simply got some RPG elements in it - but the story, characters and the action sequences have been greatly improved. It's a very enjoyable package that provides solid 20-30 hours of entertainment.

In ME1 action sequences felt half-arsed and sparse throughout the game. ME1 gave me the impression that it's just a giant cutscene with a combat mini-game to give the illusion of interactivity. There's more combat in the second installment and it's improved in numerous ways, from the introduction of ammo (which makes you switch weapons to conserve fe. the small clip the Widow sniper rifle has), to the AI (it isn't great, but serviceable and far from the dumbfuckery that was the ME1 AI), to the abilities which you'll finally have a reason to use (ME1 ability based classes were completely useless when compared to the soldier) finally to the level design. The overall combat difficulty has also increased - I've played on the veteran level and died often when failed to conserve proper ammo or use abilties; ME1 was a breeze for me even on the hardest difficulty.
No reason to bash the fact that you can't crouch. Crouching was rather useless in ME1 anyway. The cover system works well.

The most visible improvements are in the story though. Party members have much more depth and most of the bland ME1 ones were ditched, except for Garrus and Tali. Dialogue has improved too, it's not as rigid and bland. Cunts and fucks emerge sometimes, but in the proper context and from the proper people, none of them feel awkward of forced. There's very little dialogue that doesn't have anything to offer (in terms of information or entertainment).
Don't want to spoil stuff seeing as how some want to give the game a spin, but believe me that the general premise is also much better, as are both the main quest and the side quests. The annoying Mako driving got replaced by sending probes. I've seen people claim that it takes hours, it's bullshit. I've spent maybe 30 minutes on gathering resources during the whole 30h playthrough.

You peeps who haven't played the game shouldn't base your opinion on the "dumbed down RPG, watered it down!" crowd. The game doesn't try to be strong through it's RPG elements. They're rather an addition that spices things up a bit. If it makes you happy, consider it a TPS shooter or a story-driven action game.

DA and ME2 have shown that Bioware is improving from the steady decline that was the post-BG2 era. The two games restored my faith in the company and I'm eagerly awaiting DA2 and ME3.

PS. The fact that I've been out of the Codex for a couple of weeks wasn't caused by a Bioware brainwash or something.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"(ME1 ability based classes were completely useless when compared to the soldier)"

Absolute. fuckin'. bullshit. of. the fuckin'. highest. fuckin'. order.

And, whetehr you like it, ME2's game mchanics are simply a dumbed down version of ME1 which weakens the experience. FFS Dumb PC gamers forcing BIo to dumb down their console games. FFS Ruin it for all of us. FFS

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom