Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lucasarts and Bioware announcement

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Interent geeks, and 'fans' aren't humans. *shrug*

Data4

Arcane
This is the part of capitalism that sucks when it hits home. The sad truth is that Bioware does not care about you. Yeah, yeah, overdramatical and shit, but hear me out. They care about their customers because customers pay them money. They don't care about you. Or you. Or even you. Whatever fanbase they alienate with this steaming pile of shit will be made up for in spades with the brainless fucktards clamoring to make a Blood Elf Jedi or whatever. $15 per month from a drooling retard is still $15 per month.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
BIO cares about 'you' and 'me' and 'us' about as mucha s we care about them - not at all or just what they cna get out of us.

Nobody gices a shit about BIO. They only give a shit what BIO can do for them. It's the nature of the selfish customer. Just like BIo only cares about relieving us of our money. Nature of the selfish company.

This is business. There is no such things as TRUE loyalty.

Data4

Arcane
Volourn said:
BIO cares about 'you' and 'me' and 'us' about as mucha s we care about them - not at all or just what they cna get out of us.

Nobody gices a shit about BIO. They only give a shit what BIO can do for them. It's the nature of the selfish customer. Just like BIo only cares about relieving us of our money. Nature of the selfish company.

This is business. There is no such things as TRUE loyalty.

Yeah, that's basically what I meant. Customer A wants Feature 1 in a game, but customer's B-Z want Feature 2. Features 1 & 2 are mutually exclusive, so in order to please the most people, they go with Feature 2. Meanwhile, Customer A feels disenfranchised and gets on discussion forums to BAAAWWW about how the developer doesn't give a shit about him. And he's right! It's nothing personal, it's just business.

Texas Red

Whiner
Data4 said:
This is the part of capitalism that sucks when it hits home. The sad truth is that Bioware does not care about you. Yeah, yeah, overdramatical and shit, but hear me out. They care about their customers because customers pay them money. They don't care about you. Or you. Or even you. Whatever fanbase they alienate with this steaming pile of shit will be made up for in spades with the brainless fucktards clamoring to make a Blood Elf Jedi or whatever. $15 per month from a drooling retard is still $15 per month.

I wouldn't care if I had a few thousand in my bank account or a few millions. If I'd have a chance to have my hobby and greatest interest as work I'd do it for minimal. The doctors or whatever are just hacks.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
DATA44THAW!

And, no, the doctors aren't hacks. They know what they're doing, and successful at making the games they want, makreting to those who want it, and actuially getting money from p0eople who claim to them.

Hacks are those who push their games thta nobvody wants to play then whines when they fail blaming it on eveyrbody else.

HAHAHA!

If you want to make a game that only you, and your 5 friends want to play then don't market to 100s of p0eople.

Dumbass. And, hack.

Data4

Arcane
Volourn said:
DATA44THAW!

And, no, the doctors aren't hacks. They know what they're doing, and successful at making the games they want, makreting to those who want it, and actuially getting money from p0eople who claim to them.

Hacks are those who push their games thta nobvody wants to play then whines when they fail blaming it on eveyrbody else.

HAHAHA!

If you want to make a game that only you, and your 5 friends want to play then don't market to 100s of p0eople.

Dumbass. And, hack.

<captain_obvious>This is why the future of RPGs rests in the hands of indies. This is why the indies need to be aggressively supported</captain_obvious>

Volourn

Pretty Princess
The vast majority of indy games suck. *cough* Spiderweb *cough*

Well, if we're already into oversimplyfying things to make a point come across: Indies are no different. They're the ones who are marketing and adapting their game to the wants and needs of that minority that feels neglected. That's "selling out" all the same - emphasis on all-the-same. Nothing personal, it's business indeed. Games worth taking a look at are coming from big and tiny studios alike. Furthermore, in many cases I'd argue that people are getting what they ask for rather than what they want for way too many reasons to list them all.

Thrasher

Erudite
Avernum 5 was fun. I even liked POR 2.

But I'm not a picky p-sensitive princess nor bioware fanboi ;)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
You do realize your SW Hero is an admitted BIo fanboy, right?

J1M

Arcane
J1M said:
It's too bad being set so far in the future there will be no Mandalorians.

In general I don't like Star Wars, but I liked the KOTOR games and Mandalore in particular.
From KOTOR I was under the impression they were all dead except for Mandalore, hence why he took on the name, but I guess they can retcon that or maybe I just remember it wrong. Like I said, I don't care that much for Star Wars.

oscar

Arcane
J1M said:
J1M said:
It's too bad being set so far in the future there will be no Mandalorians.

In general I don't like Star Wars, but I liked the KOTOR games and Mandalore in particular.
From KOTOR I was under the impression they were all dead except for Mandalore, hence why he took on the name, but I guess they can retcon that or maybe I just remember it wrong. Like I said, I don't care that much for Star Wars.

Didn't you see all the Mandolorians throughout the game?

Data4

Arcane
onemananadhisdroid said:
Well, if we're already into oversimplyfying things to make a point come across: Indies are no different. They're the ones who are marketing and adapting their game to the wants and needs of that minority that feels neglected. That's "selling out" all the same.

No it's not. It's catering to a market. It's providing a product a certain niche of people want. I'm sure VD would like to turn a profit with AoD, but the game is as much a labor of love for him as it is a business venture-- possibly even more so, though I don't presume to speak for him.

Data4 said:
It's catering to a market.

Bingo. Whether it's catering to small or big audience does not matter. Ultimately it's still the same thing. The evidence is all over the place: There's myriads of smaller projects that are as much of the same, same me, too kind as anything else out there. Smaller to medium size publishers and developers dedicated to a perceived niche take a look at what sells within that niche, and pick their projects accordingly. That's the reason why Mysteriously Mysterious Whodunnit Adventure Games Starring Sassy Girl From Next Door are king of the hill in adventure land these days. Sure, it might provide an audience desperate for something to play with some fodder, but it's not going to save anything just because it's happening.

Exceptional games always exist (and will continue to do so), but they're not limited to the indies at all. While many a publisher may play it safe because they don't want one of their projects to fail, for many a small team it may be even more risky to stretch themselves and do something genuine since there's ususally nothing much to fall back upon if a project fails. Provided they are capable of doing something genuinely exciting in the first place.

Still, long live the garage software developer, taking the beautiful game back to its grass roots. And occasionally capable of doing some magic along the way.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
The moment VD decided to charge for the right to play AOD is the moment his creating of the game was no longer for the love it. He's not making the game because he loves his 'customers'. He wants your money. Period. He gets your money by making a product that you'd pay for. He does it for selfish reasons as do you.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Volourn said:
The moment VD decided to charge for the right to play AOD is the moment his creating of the game was no longer for the love it. He's not making the game because he loves his 'customers'. He wants your money. Period. He gets your money by making a product that you'd pay for. He does it for selfish reasons as do you.
Just when I catch myself thinking you were talking some sense about the LA-Obsidian "relationship", you go and say shit like this.

Working for money doesn't mean you don't do stuff for the luvz. A guy's got to live some way. You're basically saying that if VD was rich and could afford doing it for free, then he'd love what he does, but since he didn't legally acquire money that thousands won't have so he could be a millionaire, he must be after our money and nothing else. All you're saying is confrontational bullshit for "hey guise, i think we livez in a capitalist economy".

Also, doing whatever you want to do is always selfish. Doing something you love is the most selfish thing ever. And it's great.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
If you weren't Volourn already I' d created poll to dumbfuck you. But since you are you don't really care.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom