Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lucasarts and Bioware announcement

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
On Tuesday afternoon LucasArts and BioWare will be holding a formal press event to announce "the official unveiling of the game that's been rumored about for years." The event starts at 2:00 p.m., and we'll be using the latest in Internet technology to attempt to liveblog the presentation.
What an enormous waste of pylons.

Data4

Arcane
What an enormous amount of pomp and circumstance to announce something everyone already knows about. It's a KOTOR MMO. Prepare to be underwhelmed.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Can someone explain to me what a "liveblog" is? Because to me it just sounds like they're going to hold a goddamn chat. What's so difficult about chatting that they're not going to just fucking do it, but fucking ATTEMPT it?

2:00 - The dudes are coming out.
2:05 - The dudes says they're working on KOTOR3.
2:06 - It's an MMO. / It's a singleplayer rpg.
2:08 - Well, wasn't that exciting?
2:09 - Liveblog over!

I'm too fucking old for the internet.

J1M

Arcane
Andyman Messiah said:
Can someone explain to me what a "liveblog" is? Because to me it just sounds like they're going to hold a goddamn chat. What's so difficult about chatting that they're not going to just fucking do it, but fucking ATTEMPT it?

2:00 - The dudes are coming out.
2:05 - The dudes says they're working on KOTOR3.
2:06 - It's an MMO. / It's a singleplayer rpg.
2:08 - Well, wasn't that exciting?
2:09 - Liveblog over!

I'm too fucking old for the internet.
Yeah unless they are planning to stream it I'd say that was a failed attempt at sarcasm?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Dear Lucas Arts,

Please do a KotOR III, with Obsidian finishing the story. I don't give a flying fucking shit about your fucking MMOG game.

With much love,

Jaesun.

Quigs

Magister
The wait?

Is over.

Podracer RPG. The game you've all been waiting for.
Star-Wars-Episode-1-Pod-Racer-Cheast-and-Hints-2.jpg

It has
PODRACERS.
STATISTICS
MODIFIERS
A PLOT WITH CHOICES
MORAL AMBIGUITY
DUPLICITOUS EDGES
YOUNG ANAKIN

Starring
SAMUEL L JACKSON AS YOUR FATHER
JENGO FETT AS BOBA FETT
DICK CHENEY AS THE EMPEROR

Deleted member 7219

I'll jump for joy if it is something like a podracer MMO.

I don't want KOTOR to end with an MMO. I want a KOTOR 3.

Ebonsword

Arcane
If it is a KOTOR MMO and it's actually innovative instead of just being World of Bore-craft in the Star Wars universe, I might actually play it...

...but I'd still rather have a third single-player KOTOR game. :wink:

Solohk

Scholar
Ebonsword said:
If it is a KOTOR MMO and it's actually innovative instead of just being World of Bore-craft in the Star Wars universe, I might actually play it...
Too bad there's about 0 chance of that. Save EvE, every MMO has followed the same basic EQ philosophy of PvE and equipment grinding. Sure, some add a little bonus on top like DAoC's RvR, but underneath it all, there's the same basic philosophy.

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Guild Wars is not a MMORPG, it's just Diablo with in game chat rooms.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
Why would anyone care about a Bioware MMO when the elements that are critical to an MMOs success are exactly what Bioware has proven time and time and time again that they are totally incompetent at?

racofer

Thread Incliner
Because this might be the one move which will bring the downfall of Bioware and despite what everyone says here, all codexers are Biowhores in disguise?

Arem

Scholar
Today at a flashy media event in San Francisco, LucasArts and BioWare announced development of the PC massively multiplayer online role-playing game Star Wars: The Old Republic. Though ostensibly suspenseful, the unveiling's thunder was stolen this past July by John Riccitiello, CEO of BioWare parent Electronic Arts. Speaking to a business-oriented magazine, the executive casually confirmed that, yes, BioWare was working on a massively multiplayer online role-playing game set in the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Universe.
While the cash-minting potential of The Old Republic has executives salivating, many BioWare fans were disappointed the series didn't return to its single-player RPG roots. "There are a lot of reasons why we decided not to do KOTOR 3, and why we decided to do this as an MMO instead," said Nichols. "The unique aspect of storytelling, which is really differentiated for this game, is something the KOTOR franchise did very well, and we felt that just doing a single-player experience with a new KOTOR really misses the opportunity to take this out to a much wider audience."
"One of the things we like to joke about is just the sheer amount of content we're doing," Ohlen mused. "Our fans ask, 'Why aren't you doing Knights of the Old Republic 3?' What we're really doing is Knights of the Old Republic 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12-plus. We have that much content and that many stories...We really get to do a lot of things we really wouldn't get to do in [a] KOTOR 3."
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6199726.html

http://pc.ign.com/articles/922/922115p1.html

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55470

Raapys

Arcane
"It's not a day-in-the-life of Star Wars," Ray emphasizes; "It's about being a hero."

Innovation right there!

the opportunity to take this out to a much wider audience

:=)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom