Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lucasarts and Bioware announcement

racofer

Thread Incliner
Define real computer. Mine looks very real to me.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Bioware delivers.

67c221bd2b08.jpg

Data4

Arcane
skyway said:
Bioware delivers.

67c221bd2b08.jpg

Jesus Christ! Either that jedi is a halfling holding an orc's light saber, or the lightsabers themselves are the size of coffee cans.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"More information from Volourn's ass! Yay!"

Wrong.

"And KOTOR 1 and 2 were both successes. KOTOR 2's plot was about as un-mainstream "as it gets, and it was unfinished, yet it sold almost 1.3 million units. A finished, more mainstream game would have sold even more, though not as much as an MMO."

Not enough to please LA, and they're the ones who matters.

I wouldn't say that LA was pissed at Obsidian,"

They were pissed. Jus ta dmit it.

"they just liked Bioware more for making them more money."

No shit. Hence why they are pissed at Obsidian.

"And MMOs make more money."

And, they cost more money.

" Therefore, the logical choice would be to make a Bioware MMO."

If that logic was a sound as you think it is EA BIOI would *only* make MMORPGs.

"As for Obsidian begging to make KOTOR 3, where would they even fit it in with making NWN2+Expansions, Aliens RPG, and Alpha Protocol? They're not exactly a huge studio. It's the fans that are begging for Obsidian to make KOTOR 3."

Wrong. Mr. U has gone on record stating he asked LA to allow Obsidian to make KOTOR 3. So have others. Begging may be a harsh word but youa re delusioonal to think that Obsidiaj doesn't/didn't want to make KOTOR3. they do, and they did. They were TURNED DOWN. Obsidian pissed off LA so much that LA even went ahead with their own in house KOTOR3 and later scrapped it.

That's right, folks! LA would rather waste resoures on a non completed in house KOTOR3 than give the rigns to Obsidian. HAHAHA!

"KOTOR went on to sell nearly 1.3 million units domestically on the original Xbox and over 500,000 units on the PC. Its success spurred a sequel, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, which sold more than 1.275 million units in the US on the Xbox (2004) and PC (2005)."

Not enough to please LA, apparantly. 1.275 units may satisfy YOU; but then again.,. you didn't have to pay for its development and publishing.

R00fles!

Deleted member 7219

Volourn said:
They signed the contract, they didn't maker their employer happy enough to warrant getting the rights to get a sequel (at leats as of now) so yup, it's their fualt that they failed to live up to LA's expecations. Heck, Obsidian has basically begged LA for KOTOR3, and they keep getting mocked.

That's what KOTOR MMORPG is. It's LA pointing and laughing and mocking Obsidian.

I mean they'd rather do ANOTHER SW MMORPG when the last one was nowhere the success they wnated it to be instead of 2nd sequel to KOTOR which was a hit, and KOTOR2 which lasty I heard sold, at minimum, decently.

Sadly, on this occasion, you speak the truth.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Lucasarts rates it's shitty property too highly, 1.2 million sales for a game that barely had a year in development ain't a good enough return?

One can only hope this POS runs into world of starcraft/WAR expansion and is assraped.

Deleted member 7219

SpaceKungFuMan said:
That quote makes it seem like they're cutting KOTOR 2 from the continuity. What assholes.

There's not a single mention of KOTOR 2 on the entire website.

When they refer to KOTOR they refer to the first game, not the series.

No mention of the Exile or the collapse of the Republic/Jedi Order as depicted in KOTOR 2.

As you say, they are cutting it from the continuity. And yes, they are fucking assholes.

Fuck you Bioware, but fuck Lucasarts even more. Oh and fuck EA too.

Ausir

Arcane
As you say, they are cutting it from the continuity. And yes, they are fucking assholes.

It's still canon. All official Star Wars products are.

Deleted member 7219

Ausir said:

Well it'll still be EU canon but it looks like this game is gonna ignore it.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Matt7895 said:
Ausir said:

What??

Even though I had my gripes with K2 it does not deserve being ignored. That's beyond stupid.

Deleted member 7219

racofer said:
Matt7895 said:
Ausir said:

What??

Even though I had my gripes with K2 it does not deserve being ignored. That's beyond stupid.

Don't take my word for it, read the website.

No mention of KOTOR 2, the Exile, anywhere.

J1M

Arcane
It's too bad being set so far in the future there will be no Mandalorians.

In general I don't like Star Wars, but I liked the KOTOR games and Mandalore in particular.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
J1M said:
It's too bad being set so far in the future there will be no Mandalorians.

In general I don't like Star Wars, but I liked the KOTOR games and Mandalore in particular.

:?

There are Mandalorian avatars on the forums, so it's a pretty safe assumption there will be Mandalorians in game.

Also, the future? It's 300 years after KOTOR 2 and about 3600 years before the prequels. There are still Mandalorians in SW canon.

Pastel

Scholar
"No one wants to be just a guy," added art director Jeff Dobson. "There's nothing special about that. So we spent a lot of time really thinking about how the characters are going to look."
:|

"We know MMOs are usually boring tripe, but this time around, we're putting more work into character faces."

Topher

Cipher
LA has no right to bitch about the quality of KotOR 2... have any of you played the other SW games, half are downright rotten unplayable garbage; Clone Wars and Obi-wan come to mind. SW games always suffer from low-production values and have always been expected to sale because of the SW name alone. KotOR 1-2 have been two of the very few exceptions.

Fuck this MMO... make a good decision for once in 10 years and let Obsidian make a real sequel. The MMO market is over-saturated and nothing has been able to compete with the few MMO's on top, this whole KotOR MMO is only going to be a waste of money and talent.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Matt7895 said:
Volourn said:
They signed the contract, they didn't maker their employer happy enough to warrant getting the rights to get a sequel (at leats as of now) so yup, it's their fualt that they failed to live up to LA's expecations. Heck, Obsidian has basically begged LA for KOTOR3, and they keep getting mocked.

That's what KOTOR MMORPG is. It's LA pointing and laughing and mocking Obsidian.

I mean they'd rather do ANOTHER SW MMORPG when the last one was nowhere the success they wnated it to be instead of 2nd sequel to KOTOR which was a hit, and KOTOR2 which lasty I heard sold, at minimum, decently.

Sadly, on this occasion, you speak the truth.

Not really. I think it more has to do with the load and risk of making a Kotor 3 with obsidian. With Kotor 2 obsidian had all the tools and engine ready to make a game and it was like a year or two after the first one came out so it was a pretty attractive project for LA. With Kotor 3 they would have to have a new engine and it would take more time and I'm guessing LA would want to take a new approach by adding more action and stuff like SW: Unleashed. I like how Zolourn puts a face on all the decisions though, it makes a story a lot more interesting.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"LA has no right to bitch about the quality of KotOR 2.."

Sure, they do. They paid for its development.

"Not really."

Yes, really.

Texas Red

Whiner
Volourn said:
"LA has no right to bitch about the quality of KotOR 2.."

Sure, they do. They paid for its development.

"Not really."

Yes, really.

You failed to develop basic human understandings, didn't you?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom