Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lucasarts and Bioware announcement

refedion

Novice
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3170784 said:
He finally called it the online KOTOR

kthxbb i'll pass

Data4

Arcane
ZOMG! Hey guys! It's a KOTOR MMO!

<crickets>

The only way I'd even dare to give this game even a fleeting sliver of the shade of a hint of a second thought is if not everyone can become a Jedi. Otherwise, it'll be Galaxies NGE all over again.

bat_boro

Arcane
BUT IT'S ABOUT BEING A HERO!!1!!1!
But it really doesn't sound so bad, thought. Yeah, a SP KOTOR game by Obsidian would have been great, but it's not that bad either - if they play their cards right with the storyline and this whole single-player-rpg-made-into-a-MMO thing

Deleted member 7219

FUCK BIOWARE.

Seriously.

I've bought every single game of theirs since Baldur's Gate (except Sonic), and enjoyed them all. I think Bioware make excellent single-player, story-driven games.

I wanted KOTOR 3 to follow in the same vein. I don't want a fucking MMO.

Fuck them.

Now that Lucasarts are going to be supporting a MMO, they're not going to want to make a KOTOR 3 singleplayer game. They'll want all resources put into this.

Fuck them all.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Blame Obsidian for dropping the ball, and pissing LA off. YOU may have liked KOTOR2, I may have liked KOTOR2; but LA did not. Deal with it.

As for the KOTOR MMORPG... *shrug*

Considering that KOTOR is my least favorite BIO RPG; I doubt I'm gonna worry about this one too much.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Obsidian had a year to make a full-length RPG. How is it Obsidian's fault for not being superhuman?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
They signed the contract, they didn't maker their employer happy enough to warrant getting the rights to get a sequel (at leats as of now) so yup, it's their fualt that they failed to live up to LA's expecations. Heck, Obsidian has basically begged LA for KOTOR3, and they keep getting mocked.

That's what KOTOR MMORPG is. It's LA pointing and laughing and mocking Obsidian.

I mean they'd rather do ANOTHER SW MMORPG when the last one was nowhere the success they wnated it to be instead of 2nd sequel to KOTOR which was a hit, and KOTOR2 which lasty I heard sold, at minimum, decently.

burrie

Scholar
Welp, I'm curious to see how Bioware will handle this one. Glad to see that it's set 300 years later, so enough space for a KotOR 3 SP game, and allows Bioware to do some storytelling in a new unexplored era.

I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

Silellak

Cipher
Sigh. Why bother finishing the story you started telling with the first two KotoR games when you can jump ahead 300 years and skip it entirely?

And of course no mention of PvP anywhere, because MMO players these days are carebears who just want to kill make-believe AI-controlled drones until they drop Super Loot Item 37.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Volourn said:
Heck, Obsidian has basically begged LA for KOTOR3, and they keep getting mocked.

More information from Volourn's ass! Yay!

And KOTOR 1 and 2 were both successes. KOTOR 2's plot was about as un-mainstream as it gets, and it was unfinished, yet it sold almost 1.3 million units. A finished, more mainstream game would have sold even more, though not as much as an MMO.

I wouldn't say that LA was pissed at Obsidian, they just liked Bioware more for making them more money. And MMOs make more money. Therefore, the logical choice would be to make a Bioware MMO. As for Obsidian begging to make KOTOR 3, where would they even fit it in with making NWN2+Expansions, Aliens RPG, and Alpha Protocol? They're not exactly a huge studio. It's the fans that are begging for Obsidian to make KOTOR 3.

"KOTOR went on to sell nearly 1.3 million units domestically on the original Xbox and over 500,000 units on the PC. Its success spurred a sequel, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, which sold more than 1.275 million units in the US on the Xbox (2004) and PC (2005)."

Silellak

Cipher
"One of the things we like to joke about is just the sheer amount of content we're doing," Ohlen mused. "Our fans ask, 'Why aren't you doing Knights of the Old Republic 3?' What we're really doing is Knights of the Old Republic 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12-plus. We have that much content and that many stories...We really get to do a lot of things we really wouldn't get to do in [a] KOTOR 3."

Fuck you. MMO content does not count as real story content. Not when there are 5000 Jedi heroes who all share the same stupid fucking story that has no impact on the game world.

A unique approach would've been an MMO NWN-style, letting people basically run their own little server worlds in the SW universe and paying a monthly fee to play on any or all of them, giving storytelling power to the players.

But no, let's just copy WoW and claim we're going to have a few unique features and LIGHTSABERS.

burrie

Scholar
Actually, lemme take that "KotOR 3 still a possibility" thing back...

Star Wars: The Old Republic takes place approximately three hundred years after the events of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR). At the conclusion of the Jedi Civil War in KOTOR, Revan disappeared into unknown space in search of a great threat to the Republic, an expanding Sith Empire led by a mysterious Emperor who planned vengeance for his ancient Jedi enemies. Revan never returned from unknown space, but the Sith Empire did, kicking off a war with the Republic that lasted for decades. Now, despite the uneasy truce created by the Treaty of Coruscant, the tension among the divided star systems is threatening to once again tear the galaxy apart.
Seems it's a continuation of the KotOR 1/2 storyline after all.

fastpunk

Arbiter
So there's kind of a big time gap between this MMO and the KotOR series, which means that maybe, just maybe, a true KotOR3 will come along and wrap up the story of Revan and The Exile. Hopes dies last.

Silellak

Cipher
fastpunk said:
So, on the game's web site it says that this thing takes place "approximately three hundred years after the events of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR). At the conclusion of the Jedi Civil War in KOTOR...".

So there's kind of a big time gap between this MMO and the KotOR series, which means that maybe, just maybe, a true KotOR3 will come along and wrap up the story of Revan and The Exile. Hopes dies last.

According to above, Revan "never came back, but the Sith Empire did". So...he failed, or something.

I guess KotoR3 can be boiled down to "rocks fall, everyone dies."

fastpunk

Arbiter
Silellak said:
fastpunk said:
So, on the game's web site it says that this thing takes place "approximately three hundred years after the events of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR). At the conclusion of the Jedi Civil War in KOTOR...".

According to above, Revan "never came back, but the Sith Empire did". So...he failed, or something.

I guess KotoR3 can be boiled down to "rocks fall, everyone dies."

Yeah, I guess they could go with that explanation, although it's a big 'fuck you' to the fans of KotOR/KotOR2. I wouldn't be surprised if they did it either, but like I said, hope dies last.

KevinV12000

Arcane
What I don't get is why more gamers don't realize the LucasArts is part of Lucas' empire...you know..the one that made the last three Star Wars movie that were so horrifically bad that even long time Star Wars fans visibly cringe when you mention them.

Of COURSE they didn't like KOTOR2. KOTOR2 had wit, intelligence and a mature sensibility. Anyone who thinks that Jar-Jar Binks and whoever that little boy with the hair braids was is cool is nowhere near being able to even understand the underlying story of KOTOR2, let alone appreciate it.

To me, the wonder of it all is that KOTOR2 ever got produced. The fact that the moron console gamers think it inferior and worth forgetting about is par for the course in the same way that someone who thinks The Matrix is high art is not really going to "get" Casablanca.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Oh shit Lucas and Bioware said it will be a KotOR MMO. I totally didn't expect that!

However this MMO will certainly have a big plus - Bioware won't have to include their trademarked shitty dialogues and story.

KevinV12000

Arcane
I have a hard time thinking Bioware is going to be able to deliver a serious story in the MMO context--where the hardcore will have every quest outlined, every location mapped, every secret uncovered and every class strength/weakness analyzed with a type of mathematic rigor that would make math professors gasp within 24 hours of release, all while players named "Ipwnyou Solo" and "Lookin FerLovin" and 50,000 of their best friends are all playing "unique" Jedi knights.....

gads how I hate MMOs.

I was hoping for a Monkey Island MMOG. Imagine to experience insult sword fighting tournaments that are held every Saturday afternoon, all-nighters at the SCUMM bar with all your virtual pals whenever the stars are right, dirty rotten pirate politics all over the Carrabean, three-headed boss monsters galore and a free entry ticket to the monthly spitting contest for every level-up. Sigh.

J1M

Arcane
racofer said:
burrie said:

HOLY SHIT!!!

If the site itself is what we should expect from the game, it will require twice the computing power than Crysis does. God damn flash shit, this thing actually brought firefox to it's knees while playing.
Get a real computer or stop using the biggest memory hog of a browser there is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom