Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play FFT 1.3 Easytype Complete

spekkio

Arcane
Way too many LPs being made - nobody has the time to actually read all this stuff. Of course they keep posting "MOAR", "keep going, BRO", etc.

Bunch of savages in this town... :roll:

And 1/2 of the posters were probably old alts - they didn't make it through the 'reboot' since emails/passwords that were used to create those accounts are long gone (a.k.a. Black Cat syndrome).

:lol:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I kinda like the abundance, since a lot of them are just games I'm not that interested in to begin with.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Way too many LPs being made - nobody has the time to actually read all this stuff.

So true. Everyone wants to LP something. It's like the SomethingAwful syndrome.

Playground feels really dead with the new forums compared to before.

Well, yeah, but truth be told it's been really long since the Playground felt really lively. The situation when there's rarely a thread that attracts more than 3 comments per update has been there since 2010 at least. (Of course I'm not talking about the most popular LPs, of which there's always but a handful, and even those often tend to attract fewer comments with each update.) Most Codexers just stick to other subforums and never even take a peek at what's going on here. And many of those who enjoy LPs only turn to the more popular threads at SA and lparchive.

Damned Registrations

It just strikes me as odd that our better posters are scarcely seen here. Where's DraQ and JarlFrank and mondblut? There's plenty of interesting games to talk about among all these LPs, whatever your tastes are. I probably make more than half my posts in this forum these days, and spam the fuck out of the few threads I'm following consistently. (Case in point^) It's easier to discuss mechanics and design with examples of games being actively played too.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It just strikes me as odd that our better posters are scarcely seen here. ... It's easier to discuss mechanics and design with examples of games being actively played too.

Agreed. An even weirder thing is that the seemingly "Codexian" kind of LPs at SA (sorry for bringing up SA every time but it's a handy point of reference) -- such as roguelike, Goldbox, Wizardry LPs, etc. -- attract more mechanics discussion, and more discussion and enthusiasm overall, than the same kind of LPs over here. The main reason my Wizardry LP attracts more than 1-2 followers is the game developer LARPing I'm doing. Aren't we supposed to be the kind of place where they appreciate and, most importantly, discuss those games FFS? And what about this LP? Where are all the goddamn weaboos this place is supposedly full of? Gosh I'm so angry right now.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It just strikes me as odd that our better posters are scarcely seen here. Where's DraQ and JarlFrank and mondblut? There's plenty of interesting games to talk about among all these LPs, whatever your tastes are. I probably make more than half my posts in this forum these days, and spam the fuck out of the few threads I'm following consistently. (Case in point^) It's easier to discuss mechanics and design with examples of games being actively played too.

I occasionally check the LP forums and then read some threads and occasionally even discover a good game or two. Attempted two LPs of my own, too, both of which are abandoned (might one day decide to continue the adventure game LP, though; but too much to do for uni currently to go to the effort of LPing something currently).

mondblut

Arcane
It just strikes me as odd that our better posters are scarcely seen here. Where's DraQ and JarlFrank and mondblut?

Two reasons. One, I have very little interest in the "LP" genre in general. Just not my cup of tea. At best, I might browse some completed LP as a kind of a webcomic if it's sufficiently hilarious, like that Ultima IV parody game. But following it? Nah.

Two, with my background, I am 99% secure I've already played every game I ever wanted to, and if it's a game I haven't played, I am safe with knowledge I wouldn't touch it with a 10 feet pole were it the only game left on Earth. Between LPs of games I completed myself and LPs of games I have zero interest in (I mean, FFT? you are kidding, right? the only reason I dropped by is because of that "alert" that you tagged me), there is very little reason for me to visit this subforum. Oh, and in a preciously rare occasion there is a game I might like I haven't played yet, I'd rather go and play it myself than keep reading about it.

Aren't we supposed to be the kind of place where they appreciate and, most importantly, discuss those games FFS? And what about this LP? Where are all the goddamn weaboos this place is supposedly full of? Gosh I'm so angry right now.
The veterans already played these classic games so much they don't wanna talk anymore about it, and the weeaboos are clearly too busy fapping to their waifus, but they are out there. I know it.

/denial

Mimes were pretty overpowered in FF5, weren't they? My memory is fuzzy, though.

Sorta related...

spekkio

Arcane
Sovard said:

i33k5.gif

mondblut said:
the only reason I dropped by is because of that "alert" that you tagged me

Updated my BlackCatPhenomena-PossibleOrigins.txt

:obviously:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Way too many LPs being made - nobody has the time to actually read all this stuff. Of course they keep posting "MOAR", "keep going, BRO", etc.

Bunch of savages in this town... :roll:

And 1/2 of the posters were probably old alts - they didn't make it through the 'reboot' since emails/passwords that were used to create those accounts are long gone (a.k.a. Black Cat syndrome).

:lol:

Sorry. I kinda gave up since the OP got way too emo about noone loving him and wanting to give up and end his life.

At least I can still count on CB to finish the LPs she starts :love:

spekkio

Arcane
PC said:
You know you want to continue this one.

Sure thing I do. The problems is - readers don't.
I bet half of the posters were Chefe-kun's alts anyway...

*Fake edit: Look who's talking - I'm not allowed to do some PC-ing?

i33k5.gif

*Real edit:

WC said:
:thumbsup:

spekkio

Arcane
Ulminati said:
Reporting for duty, Sir!
Fuckin' slowpokes... :roll:

One of the most retarded battles so far awaits us. Let's prepare.

:cry:

DR has HJump5 already learned, he learns VJump8 to max his jumping range. Not enough JP to learn Dragonheart. He equips an axe (stupid idea as it quickly turns out).

ta001.jpg

Guzu, Bee and WC prepare as well

ta002.jpg

ta003.jpg

ta004.jpg

Ramza switches to monk (required for future ninjahood).

It's time to RAGE hard!

ta005.jpg

16. Tchigolith Fenlands

^Whoever came out with these names, should be castrated...

ta006.jpg

Shitty terrain + retarded set of monsters. Fuck, I hate modders.

ta007.jpg

ta008.jpg

We face: 2 ghosts, 3 MHDs and 3 skeletons

Attempt #1

Mustadio could be useful as fuck here, since he can turn undead fucks to stone from afar

ta009.jpg

But since he's a guest, he spends most of his time doing shit or getting killed
DR's axe looks great on paper:

ta010.jpg

But this weapon is shit as fuck in reality, due to variable damage:

ta011.jpg

If I'm not sure how big the damage will be, why should I use some faggotic shitfucking shit?

:rpgcodex:

ta012.jpg

ta013.jpg

:rage:

Customer Support said:
Dear DR-kun. Your rights to equip your character has been suspended until further notice. Have a nice day.

Guzu is able to do some decent damage

ta014.jpg

Bee's techniques can be useful as well, as long as we don't use 'Dark' ones

ta015.jpg

And the 'Dark' one is the strongest that she has at her disposal. :(

Problems:

1. Skeletons are broken as sweet fuck. Not only they can use strong elemental ranged attacks with 100% accuracy (Anima attacks), but also Gravity and Death spells, that heal undead (skeletons & ghosts):

ta016.jpg

So, with a single attack, that costs them close to no MP, they are able to fuck our guys and heal their guys.
Oh, and it's not shown on their character sheets, but they have also 'Critical - Recover HP' set.

:roll:

Who the fuck thought it would be good idea? What the fuck is wrong with these modding fucks?
Your job is to fix a broken game, not to break it for enemies as well, for fucks sake!

:rage:

2. MHDs are the most fair enemies here - they can hit us using tentacles, but mainly use their 'Bad Breath':

ta017.jpg

ta018.jpg

Which means 'Game Over' most of the time - we don't have equipment that protect ourselves from 'Stone' or 'Confuse' yet. And 'wise' unit positioning is difficult due to terrain limitation (standing in water means lower defense and offense + poison status).

3. Ghost are almost impossible to hit using physical attacks (insane evade = ~30 accuracy when attacking them from behind), they can also Touch you in wrong way, which inflicts 'Stop'.

Did I mention that all KOed undead can randomly go back to un-life instead of turning into crystals / treasure chests?

pVBRi.jpg

Don't worry, I will.

:(

I was even able to kill ALL MHDs, 1 ghost and 1 skeleton AND bring my guys back to life/action at one point

ta019.jpg

But remaining 2 skeletons and 1 ghost were enough to rape my party moments later

ta020.jpg

Attempt #2

Let's try same team but with different setup. WC learns Bomb and Waterwalking

ta021.jpg

Ramza switches to dragoon

ta022.jpg

DR chooses less retarded setup

ta023.jpg

Problems:

Even if you try killing skeletons one by one, there's always a chance of this:

ta024.jpg

ta025.jpg

Avoiding being raped by MHDs is nearly impossible - there are 3 of them, after all

ta026.jpg

^That's Bee and Guzu turned into frogs

With one unit under my control left, I decided to try again...

ta027.jpg

Attempt #3 + many qucikloads

Let's try something else. Mustadio switches Items for Aim - maybe that will force him to use only 'Aimed Shot' abilities?

ta028.jpg

Spoilar: No

Since DR can't use Dragonheart yet, he should be replaced by Sov - maybe we will be able to fuck the enemies up using status-changing attacks?

ta029.jpg

Spoliar: No

The beginning of this attempt wasn't very promising:

ta030.jpg

ta031.jpg

So, we lost Mustadio and Sov before they even got a chance to act...

Good thing - units can recover from this status on their own, after some time. As long as they are still alive, that is...
We were able to own one of the MHDs

ta032.jpg

But moments later we lost Guzu

ta033.jpg

WC missed a ghost twice

ta034.jpg

I reloaded to check something different, this time WC hit the same enemy twice

ta035.jpg

Holy shit! This looks like the best tactic for this MAJESTIC mod!

: popular tony lee jones pic here :

After some qucikloads, Guzu discovers proper way of dealing with this (and probably every other) mission.
All enemies except 1 MHD alive, 3 units left on our side. Guzu casts Bahamut:

ta036.jpg

ta037.jpg

:salute:

PROTIP: bring 2 or more summoners, steamroll everyone, since summons have 100% accuracy.

: popular image of sad puppy here :

But wait! There's more!
I still needed some quickloads and pure luck to actually finish this mission!
Enemies are quick as sweet fuck:

ta038.jpg

We were able to kill all but 2 enemies at one point, but:

Bee's weakest drawing attack is... weak. But at least it doesn't heal enemies...

ta039.jpg

Using Hi-potion on undead is one of the strongest attacks we can use

ta040.jpg

Dragonheart is very useful, too bad that it kicks in rarely. Of course for enemies who have it, it kicks in after almost EVERY our attack, but that's probably total coincidence...

Unfortunately for us, one of the gosts auto-revives, Ramza gets stoned and Guzu dies from tentacle rape

ta041.jpg

It's qucikload time!

I try many different things, but success depends mostly on number of enemies who permanently die. If most of them auto-recover, our party is screwed no matter what.
After many futile quickloads, all three KOed enemies turn into crystals/chests.
We have Ramza, Bee and Guzu alive. Guzu owns remaining MHD using Ifrit:

ta042.jpg

Remaining ghost (he withdrew after being bahamuted by Guzu earlier) comes close. Bee deals with him, ending the fight

ta043.jpg

Man, I feel like a master tactician right now. 'Use quickload till you reach desired effect. Try different tactics till you find the one and only one that works'.

:troll:

Requires a real BRIAN SURGEON for sure.

:bravo:

Great job, you fucking drog-likes...

ta044.jpg

ta045.jpg

ta046.jpg

ta047.jpg

ta048.jpg

We continue to our destination:

ta049.jpg

Video 31. Entering Goug

We can buy pistols for chemists at last

ta050.jpg

And investing into Remedies seems like a good idea

ta051.jpg

ta052.jpg

Bee switches to dragoon - all units need Dragonheart ASAP, IMO

ta053.jpg

Guzu, Steve and Sov should switch to chemists and grab guns - we need plenty of chemist JP to 'learn' Remedy for everyone

ta054.jpg

After a long fucking struggle, our team if free from guests

ta055.jpg

Fucking finally!

:yeah:

Brofist this ONLY if you're >30 and still a virgin.

See you next March.

Damned Registrations

The damage 'varied' on that jump was because you targeted a charging enemy and they stopped charging before I landed, so the damage bonus was gone. Jump doesn't vary the damage axes deal at all.

Wow that was some epic fail. Protip: Jump ignores evasion, so jumping on ghosts and having the ninjas go after the skeles would have been a better plan. A powerful priest would have helped out a lot here too, since you could fire off shit like cure 3/4 on enemies and allies alike to serve double duty.

Whats really funny is that this battle isn't than different from vanilla. The monsters have better stats (in particular damage and ghost evasion) but the abilities are mostly the same; ranged attacks, paralysis from ghosts, coming back from the dead. And in vanilla, all monsters had innate counter anyways, which can be worse than recover hp if you just pay attention to how much hp they have left before attacking them into critical. :roll: The whole poison swamp thing is the same.

Anyways, excellent rage-update. I approve.

:bravo:

Damned Registrations

Oh, and kicking mustadio locked you out of some awesome secret battles. (With secret awesome loot)

spekkio

Arcane
I didn't kick him out - he left temporarily. We will see him in next battle.

spekkio

Arcane
DR said:
The damage 'varied' on that jump was because you targeted a charging enemy and they stopped charging before I landed, so the damage bonus was gone. Jump doesn't vary the damage axes deal at all.
Maybe so, but it certainly does in case of regular attacks.

ElXhc.jpg

A couple of tries using quickload:

qaTmh.jpg

lwIeN.jpg

h4J7F.jpg

g9XOW.jpg

Same thing happened during previous battle - I was using attack, not jump here:

ta012.jpg

ta013.jpg

So, again - why should I use a weapon, in case of which I'm not sure how big the damage will be?
Especially when dealing with enemies that have 'Critical: Recover HP' - my perfect plan to fuck 'em up without bringing them to critical state could be easily screwed that way.

Now about 'Jump':

GdD6a.jpg

Jumping would be indeed great, if I could easily check when it will be performed (can be done with spells and other attacks that require charging). Since I can't, it's shit.

Damned Registrations

Spekkio cannot into maths. Landing occurs exactly when the character would have 50 CT (Or 75 if they have haste, which makes haste extra awesome for jumping because you're hardly ever on the ground to be targetted.) So it'll land on any enemy of the same speed with under 50 CT, faster enemies you have to lead more. Think of it as a spell where it's speed = double the character's speed. If you can find an enemy or ally with the same speed at 45-50 CT, find their turn (not when they finish charging, their actual turn) on the list and assume that's when you'll land.

As for why you'd use an axe instead of a spear? Because it has way more attack power. Though like I said, I was expecting a better axe at this point,which would give +3 PA on top of the higher weapon power. Spears naturally get a 50% bonus for jump damage, so it's closing the gap somewhat. It probably isn't worth the loss of a support skill just for the slight damage boost. Though a Geomancer with Jump secondary might be effective. You could throw on attack boost as the support skill, still use the axe, and have geomancy for low hp targets you need to hit instantly. Plus clothes for the PA/Speed boosts. Hmmm. More glass cannony to be sure, but could probably maintain a decent damage advantage for quite a while. I'll have to try that.

You're probably better off with a more tanky build though, like shield + mantle + abandon on an armor user. Pity you're not using the special characters; they're much easier to use than lancers. You're probably better off using samurais if you're not going to use jump much anyways. And I'd love to see you trying to use the old calculators, or mimes. Probably wipe out your whole team within the first battle. :troll:

spekkio

Arcane
Spekkio cannot into maths. Landing occurs exactly when the character would have 50 CT (Or 75 if they have haste, which makes haste extra awesome for jumping because you're hardly ever on the ground to be targetted.) So it'll land on any enemy of the same speed with under 50 CT, faster enemies you have to lead more. Think of it as a spell where it's speed = double the character's speed. If you can find an enemy or ally with the same speed at 45-50 CT, find their turn (not when they finish charging, their actual turn) on the list and assume that's when you'll land.
Alright, that sounds simple enough, thanks. And totally worth the effort.

Call me weird, but I prefer shit that works always and without too much hassle.

Damned Registrations

Yeah I figured as much. But 5 summoners would be rather boring. And they took out all the other OP awesome buttons in the game, like Drawout having smart targeting and brave/faith manipulation.

spekkio

Arcane
Thanks for the explanation as always. Too bad that game displays all this info for 'charged' attacks, but not for jump. I would have to check stats of all enemies (speed), their current CT, who's influenced by 'Slow' or 'Haste'... I'm not being paid good enough for this...

:cry:

Damned Registrations

Yeah I always thought it was weird that jump didn't get put into the system that way. The only thing I can think of is that they did it for balance reasons. Jump is a pretty bullshit OP ability, especially in the original game where it had a range of 8.

OTOH, maybe they just never got around to it. The game is crammed full of shit and there's no way they had time to polish everything they wanted to. I'm guessing stuff like balancing was a higher priority than adding the Jump command to the turn list, and they certainly never got around to balancing half the shit in the original game, or fine tuning the AI. (Protip: the golem/titan spell was removed from hardtype entirely because it cheeses the AI in a weird way.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom