Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jaesun moves threads at random.

Shannow

Waster of Time
It's a tough one.

The problem is that RPGs are a dead genre on PC, while glorious Nippon is still producing tons and tons of RPGs, many of which are turn based and party based.

So if we don't arbitrarily exclude console RPGs from General RPG discussion, our posts about games from 1991 will be drowned in a sea of console RPG threads about Kawaii desu Waifus and bento boxes.

Perhaps the best option is to create a console RPG forum, either as a stand alone or as sub forum of GRPG?
We had that. It was called GG. But because weeaboo-consoletards wanted to post their GG-topics in GRPG for some reason we now have two GGs... *shrug*
I follow both anyway, but DU could streamline the forum a bit to reduce the clicks involved.

DarkUnderlord, now that we're kotakucodex, could we have some platform labels for threads about specific games?
After all I will want to know if I can play the game on xbox and PS3 or if it's a 3DS-exclusive or something. And can we now finally have God of War news on the front page? Since we're clamping down on nazi-discriminations, it seems just fair to broaden site content for a wider audience, too.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
After all I will want to know if I can play the game on xbox and PS3 or if it's a 3DS-exclusive or something. And can we now finally have God of War news on the front page? Since we're clamping down on nazi-discriminations, it seems just fair to broaden site content for a wider audience, too.
And then you warn me about becoming too cynical...

;)

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Most JRPGs never tried to be RPGs, they tried to be Wizardry. Japanese people love to grind, da l00t and (sometimes) being in a maze. Then they took some adventure games and replaced the puzzles with "bosses", and moar grind & l00t.

It was never about recreating a P&P experience, they don't care about character development, choices, creating a world, or even combat. They want to grind to unlock their anime...

JRPGs can suck my dick :rpgcodex:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Most JRPGs never tried to be RPGs, they tried to be Wizardry. Japanese people love to grind, da l00t and (sometimes) being in a maze. Then they took some adventure games and replaced the puzzles with "bosses", and moar grind & l00t.

It was never about recreating a P&P experience, they don't care about character development, choices, creating a world, or even combat. They want to grind to unlock their anime...

I'd agree with this except for the grind bit. I've played many many jrpgs. Almost none of them require grinding. Probably more than half of them provide some in game mechanism for reducing or eliminating enemy encounters to avoid grinding in fact. They almost always have some sort of incentive for 600 hours of grinding for the OCD players that want their inventory screen filled with 99 of everything, but I can scarcely recall a game where I was actually required to grind at all. Pretty much every game where I've bothered to do so, I eventually discovered it was totally unnecessary and could have been avoided by simply playing better. Confusing difficulty and combat mechanic depth for a need to grind is not very :obviously: You'd need to grind your ass off in Fallout as well if all you ever did was pick the first dialogue option and shoot the nearest enemy in combat. I think I might make a topic about the dilemma of retards confusing difficulty for a need to grind.

The jrpg is pretty much entirely about exploring to find stuff and learning and abusing the combat mechanics. With increasing amounts of decline towards an emphasis on pre-arranged story over the years.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Well, I would love to watch someone beating the first Dragon Quest without grinding.

spekkio

Arcane
Shannow said:
After all I will want to know if I can play the game on xbox and PS3 or if it's a 3DS-exclusive or something.
99% of the time OP explains this. If not, you can use Google or sumthin... But yeah - reding teh hard...

UJ said:
they don't care about character development, choices, creating a world, or even combat
Phew. Thank god that Bio and Beth deeply care...
Plus the usual - what is RPG, except maybe Fallout?

DR said:
I think I might make a topic about the dilemma of retards confusing difficulty for a need to grind
One of the keys to understanding usual "jRPGs sux" posts on Codex. People simply don't know what they are talking about (aka Skyway's syndrome - "I don't have to play a game to know if it sucks or not" - TRUE (personal preference). But "I don't have to play a game to know if it sucks or not AND post about it on Codex" - is FALSE (being a moron).

UJ said:
Well, I would love to watch someone beating the first Dragon Quest without grinding.
You're posting after the right person, then...

:smug:

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
UJ said:
they don't care about character development, choices, creating a world, or even combat
Phew. Thank god that Bio and Beth deeply care...
Plus the usual - what is RPG, except maybe Fallout?
If a videogame tries to recreate a P&P experience, even if it fails... Well, that's an CRPG.

Most JRPG developers never tried to do that. Instead, they want to make more Wizardries, they want to tell their stories, they want to make fun minigames, awesum cutscenes and addictive gameplay... Unlike Sir-Tech, Origin, NWC, SSI, Interplay, Troika, etc., they don't give a damn about real (P&P) RPGs. Nothing wrong with that, but that's GG material, sorry.

Now I want to read/watch that "Let's play Dragon Warrior" without grinding, wild metagaming or hundreds of reloads to avoid random battles.

spekkio

Arcane
Is there a PC emulator for consoles? Uh? Uh?
DosBox, ScummVM for sure.

Unlike Sir-Tech, Origin, NWC, SSI, Interplay, Troika, etc.
:salute: , but I was talking about present, not the glorious past.

If a videogame tries to recreate a P&P experience, even if it fails... Well, that's an CRPG.
I'm inclined to agree, but I'm afraid that some sections of the hivemind aren't.

spekkio

Arcane
Then you probably should play these games on PC. Same way as people who want to play Dark Souls need to buy PS3 ATM.

If you want section for "Console Games", define them first. We're talking about: a) platform or b) design?

If:

a) - what's the point, if Mass Effect (example) is multiplatform game with console design? And DS is the best ARPG in years?
b) - what's the point, if Mass Effect (example) is multiplatform game with console design? And DS is the best ARPG in years?

So:

:roll:

In case you're trolling: nobody cares, esp. when DU made new rules concerning GRPG and GG.

spekkio

Arcane
BROS, DOUBLEPOST :oops:

Is there a PC emulator for consoles? Uh? Uh?
And what if I want to play latest Total War, Paradox Int. or Dwarf Fortress? Uh? Uh?

So you want to play strategy games / roguelikes using gamepad?
You want to emulate faster machine on slower machine?

Or maybe you're bitching for bitching's sake?

:hmmm:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Now I want to read/watch that "Let's play Dragon Warrior" without grinding, wild metagaming or hundreds of reloads to avoid random battles.
FF1 maybe I wouldn't mind, but the first Dragon Warrior didn't even have a party. It's not something I'd hold up as a good game; it was basically a pioneer for the RPG genre on the system. I doubt it requires more grinding than Ultima 3 did though. I recall my brother making me dupe gold for him in that after character creation so he didn't have to grind for starting equipment himself.

You might also want to consider what your definition of a grind is. I could probably finish half a dungeon in some jrpgs in the time it takes to do one obnoxiously large battle in a goldbox game. If the battle consists of 3 seconds of fighting (or fleeing), I don't really mind repeating it a dozen times throughout the dungeon. Having to kill a room full of space rats in buck rogers though, often made me want to break things the first time around, never mind the fifth.

spekkio

Arcane
^
Tell me about emulators, MMXI.

And what do you do with this "multiple engine recreations bundled together"?

PROTIP: play games, mostly for PC but for other platforms as well.

Plus: it was pipka who wanted "PC emulator for consoles", not me.

PROTIP: DosBox isn't PC emulator as well.

Jeez, now I think I know what BLOBERT felt before going ALL CAPS.

spekkio

Arcane
^
PM pipka that he can emulate PCs on consoles then. What a lucky bastard he is - he should be able to immerse himself with Dwarf Fortress on his Wii.

:hero:

pipka

Savant
What's wrong, spekkio? Are you a Christian? What do you have against superior input devices? Is it because you're PC elitist? Can you into new gen?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom