Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jaesun moves threads at random.

spekkio

Arcane
MMXI said:
And from now on everything RPG-related will go into GRPG. Simple and efficient. All hail DU.

:lol:

2. I've ment Dark Souls, PS3 - my bad.

3. I hope you've noticed that my last 2 points was about Metro's post (JRPG/weeaboo subforum), not yours (PC/console RPGs). But I find both ideas equally retarded. Jaesun tried a mixed approach (not on PC -> GG and/or weaboo art -> GG) but it was aborted recently.

PROTIP: 99% (or maybe 1%? who knows?) of people who post here don't give a flying fuck about the platform, as long as the game is good/interesting/has gay elven sex / whatever.
What's the fucking difference if a game is on PC or not? Everything except Xbawks and PS3 can be emulated these days. And PC games have more spyware/shitware than console games ATM. And most of "PC games" are botched console ports optimised for gaypad.
What makes PC games superior? That you have to use installer?

What's the difference between "PC RPGs" and "Console RPGs" from gameplay perspective?

PLZ EXPLAIN.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
K. So console ports of Wizardries and Ultimas go where?
Console RPG forum. Obviously. Same place as those console exclusive Shadowrun cRPGs.

A console and PC game differ how exactly, to warrant a sub-forum?

Let's take a look at a few examples:

1. Dark Soul's has far mor complex stat based combat than both Skyrim and DAII put together.
2. Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls has far more complex class and stat based combat than both Skyrim and DAII put together.

While stats and state based combat are NOT 100% of what makes a game a cRPG, both these console gamers do a better job at basic cRPG mechanics than 2 PC RPG turds I listed above.

So the point of a console sub-forum would be....?

pipka

Savant
How much a person should love gaming to be swayed into buying a different platform just to play 2 games?!(stupid verb before noun in questions, how does it work?) Weeboos, consoletards and no-lifers. This thread went full-circle.

spekkio

Arcane
pipka said:
How much a person should love gaming to be swayed into buying a different platform just to play 2 games?!
Heeyyy, big boy - since ~2004 same thing can be said about PC as a gaming platform.

:lol:

In my case I just wait till emulators are available - ATM I'm slowly going through my PS2/GCN/NDS library. In 2-3 years it will probably be PSP.
Plus most of current consoles are (more or less) compatible with previous platforms, so you can complete Final Fantasy 7 for the 7th time on your PS3.
I've never owned a console and I don't think I ever will.

:smug:

MMXI

Arcane
PROTIP: 99% (or maybe 1%? who knows?) of people who post here don't give a flying fuck about the platform, as long as the game is good/interesting/has gay elven sex / whatever.
Are you sure about this? So you're saying that 99% of the people who visit this forum own every single platform there is, including all game consoles? I doubt that very much.

What's the fucking difference if a game is on PC or not? Everything except Xbawks and PS3 can be emulated these days. And PC games have more spyware/shitware than console games ATM. And most of "PC games" are botched console ports optimised for gaypad.
What makes PC games superior? That you have to use installer?
I never said PC games were superior. Why do you think this? Inferiority complex or something?

A console and PC game differ how exactly, to warrant a sub-forum?

Let's take a look at a few examples:

1. Dark Soul's has far mor complex stat based combat than both Skyrim and DAII put together.
2. Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls has far more complex class and stat based combat than both Skyrim and DAII put together.

While stats and state based combat are NOT 100% of what makes a game a cRPG, both these console gamers do a better job at basic cRPG mechanics than 2 PC RPG turds I listed above.

So the point of a console sub-forum would be....?
Right. And which games does the RPG Codex actually cover in terms of news and content? Skyrim and Dragon Age II. That's what.

My entire point revolves around the central idea that there should be a forum/sub-forum for the types of games that this site covers. I don't see what's so offensive about it. I, more than most, hate what PC RPGs have become. But that's nothing at all to do with my point.

spekkio

Arcane
Are you sure about this? So you're saying that 99% of the people who visit this forum own every single platform there is, including all game consoles? I doubt that very much.
No, they use emulators for old games and some of them are consolefags who own "current-gen" 1-2 consoles. Horrible creatures.

I never said PC games were superior. Why do you think this? Inferiority complex or something?
Damn, you've seen right through me. You proposed a separate sections for "PC RPGs" and "Console RPGs" co I was curious WTF is the difference between them.

And which games does the RPG Codex actually cover?
Depends on the author. Mostly hipster inde vaporware shit (AoD) and things related to stuff that some guys "previously known for developing RPGs" do ("Tim is joining Obsidian - ZOMG ZOMG, ITZ gonna be EPIC!!111).
I hope that Croeaked Bee will change this for the worse better.

tl;dr

You're either trolling or not that good at it this "I think people have large enough brains" thing...

:roll:

*Edit: ITT we learn that 2 elite PC users are not smart enough to download and set-up emulator...
Or maybe they're still butthurt about Demon's Souls and Dark Souls being console-only.

MMXI

Arcane
I don't know what to make of that mess. It has to go down as one of the worst posts of all time. You start off by not addressing my point other than by saying that you hope Crooked Bee turns the Codex into a console and PC RPG site, then you call me a troll, and then you bitch about PC elitists. It'll be hard to top, mate.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yeah, you gotta to better than cry the PC Elitist bullshit. Elitism is defined by someone feeling they carry more legitimate weight in a given situation (in this case, a discussion) because they belong to a group of people who are "better" than others. Whenever you argue the merits of PC over console you always get labeled as an elitist even though you're pretty clearly arguing points and not arbitrary labels.

But I guess it's too hard to stick to the point - it's easier to just yell "evil elitist" and keep your head up your ass.

Mortmal

Arcane
That was the only right decision to take, what do you want to speak about in the grpg forum ? Discuss how bioware and bethesda are doing it wrong ? Bioware no longer matter they are not even trying , bethesda is left and they only do the same type of action rpg subgenre once every few years, nothing will change except graphic overhauls .
Indies ? not a lot, and even promising titles like kotc2 will never happen. Dont pretend you want to discuss old C64, Apple II, Amiga, IBM-PCrpg, theres like 15 replies at max on those when kingdom of amalaur, a mediocre console action rpg spawn a megathread.

pipka

Savant
I demand Mobile Phone and Tablet Gaming sub-forum!

Phone/Tablets ppl shouldn't be associated with console plebeians and pc elitists.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Yeah, well - there are plenty of PC exclusive Japanese RPGs still being made. So no matter what, the end is the same.

You are right. Instead of a PC RPG forum and a console RPG forum, it would be better to have a General RPG forum and an East Asian RPG forum.

Because while glorious Nippon dominates console RPGs, it is also extremely competitive in terms of PC exclusive RPGs, as you point out.

I'll be the first to admit that they are mainly horrible shit and should be avoided like plague, but then again I've long ago given up all hope of seeing a decent new western TB RPG in my lifetime. Sometimes one has to swim in a sea of shit to dive pearls, but of course it'd be preferable they'd wash themselves before coming to your living room.

I'll be the first to admit that Japan is producing more commercial RPGs than everybody else and that Japan is producing better commercial RPGs than everyone else. But that is the problem. (see below).

Yea, we need to somehow contain the flood of jRPG threads that have been drowning GRPGD ever since the change of policy.

The policy change was just implemented and any change in thread types will occur gradually. But make no mistake, we face the possibility of a fundamental shift in the culture of the general RPG discussion forum.

RPGs are a dead genre in the West and we only have a few indie games and shooters with stats to discuss per year. But Japan still produces quite a few commercial RPGs and they often have a fair amount of traditional RPG mechanics.

Because Japan is producing more RPGs and better RPGs, we can expect that the focus of General RPG discussion will slowly shift to Japanese games. This would be a large and fundamental shift in the culture of what has traditionally been a WRPG focused forum. (In 5 years we could find ourselves buried in Sephiroth avatars.)

Better to move Japanese RPGs into their own sub forum and reserve the General RPG discussion forum for threads where we complain about how we've already discussed everything.

made

Arcane
The policy change was just implemented and any change in thread types will occur gradually. But make no mistake, we face the possibility of a fundamental shift in the culture of the general RPG discussion forum.

RPGs are a dead genre in the West and we only have a few indie games and shooters with stats to discuss per year. But Japan still produces quite a few commercial RPGs and they often have a fair amount of traditional RPG mechanics.

Because Japan is producing more RPGs and better RPGs, we can expect that the focus of General RPG discussion will slowly shift to Japanese games. This would be a large and fundamental shift in the culture of what has traditionally been a WRPG focused forum. (In 5 years we could find ourselves buried in Sephiroth avatars.)
Perhaps. But I'm not convinced that this fate would be much worse than the current situation where GRPGD is swarmed by "Bethesda should be proud" and "game's terrible but I'm having fun anyway, FU haters" threads whenever a new AAA Best-RPG-Since-Arcanum comes out.

Only a paradigm shift* in WRPG design can save this place. Otherwise you might as well sign up on abandonia and try to monoclize their forum. At least that's PC exclusive.

*note I have no idea what that term actually means; I saw it in a jRPG once

DraQ

Arcane
Only a paradigm shift* in WRPG design can save this place.
I think I know exactly what would revitalize WRPGs without diluting their RPGness.
It's just that it would drive all the spreadsheetfags up the wall.
Oh and no one attempts it because the gaming industry is uncreative as fuck and because no one there can afford taking any risks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom