Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jaesun moves threads at random.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
EA's online store is not an online store? Oh OK.

racofer

Thread Incliner
EA's website: www.ea.com

EA's online store: store.origin.com

It's pretty easy to notice that, I can't understand how can't.

You're merely assuming that ME3 is not to be considered an RPG because there's nothing on the game's official website saying, in bold letters: "Mass Effect 3 is a Role Playing Game" or "Mass Effect 3 is a RPG". You're making this whole thing up to support your point of view based on a single website, just because it does not contain what fits on your criteria to classify something as an RPG, despite Bioware/EA claiming time and time again on multiple interviews or other gaming sites that ME3 is a RPG.

If you want to be selective on what you pick to support your opinions, that's fine. This, however, does not change the fact that Bioware and EA have always been marketing this game as an RPG.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
You're merely assuming that ME3 is not to be considered an RPG because there's nothing on the game's official website saying, in bold letters: "Mass Effect 3 is a Role Playing Game" or "Mass Effect 3 is a RPG". You're making this whole thing up to support your point of view based on a single website, just because it does not contain what fits on your criteria to classify something as an RPG, despite Bioware/EA claiming time and time again on multiple interviews or other gaming sites that ME3 is a RPG.

If you want to be selective on what you pick to support your opinions, that's fine. This, however, does not change the fact that Bioware and EA have always been marketing this game as an RPG.

Fair enough, that is your opinion, and I have mine. I'm still standing that if a game's official website has no mention of it being a RPG then I am considering it not being marketed as one.

According to the official website (in the About Page) Mass Effect is:

- Interactive Storytelling
- Customization
- Adrenaline Pumping Action
- Ruthless and Intelligent enemy AI

Also of note, neither does Dragon Age on the official site. :lol:

EDIT:

I will be willing to concede that Mass Effect 3 IS a RPG (that is being marketed as a RPG) if you could find an official press release on the game, where in the release it specifically states RPG or role playing game. IIRC even Skyrim stated the word RPG or Role plaing game in it's official press release.

Achilles

Arcane
EA's page operates as an index, listing the games that EA publishes. As such, it isn't part of the game's marketing push. The official website, which is part of the official marketing, makes no mention of Mass Effect 3 as an RPG. DU clearly stated that the game has to be marketed as an RPG. Even the people who made the game don't consider it an RPG. Case closed, Jaesun is right.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Even the people who made the game don't consider it an RPG. Case closed, Jaesun is right.
In the other thread I listed two articles written in the past two months where Dr. Ray and Casey Hudson call it a RPG. Jaesun is wrong. :smug:

Achilles

Arcane
I bet they were just talking about the RPG mode, which is only a third of the full game. :dance:

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
If we take the definition of RPG as Romance-Propagating Game, then I think Mass Effect fits perfectly.

Cassidy

Arcane
Why not just move all threads about Mass Effect 3 to retardo?

:incline:

Making fun of its stupidity already got old.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member

Fair enough, that is your opinion, and I have mine. I'm still standing that if a game's official website has no mention of it being a RPG then I am considering it not being marketed as one.

According to the official website (in the About Page) Mass Effect is:

- Interactive Storytelling
- Customization
- Adrenaline Pumping Action
- Ruthless and Intelligent enemy AI

Also of note, neither does Dragon Age on the official site. :lol:

EDIT:

I will be willing to concede that Mass Effect 3 IS a RPG (that is being marketed as a RPG) if you could find an official press release on the game, where in the release it specifically states RPG or role playing game. IIRC even Skyrim stated the word RPG or Role plaing game in it's official press release.
http://www.ea.com/rpg

ea_me3_rpg.png

http://www.ea.com/mass-effect-3
GENRE: RPG, Action

Case closed. Please don't make this an issue again or I'll demote you. The point is not to be anally retentive about what is and what isn't an RPG. The point is to have a forum where we can discuss RPG type things and argue about whether shit is or isn't an RPG. Not to keep moving shit back and forth between forums like petulant tards.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
If ME3 isn't an RPG of some sort why is it so frequently mentioned on the Codex front page?

And why bother moving borderline RPG threads in the first place? Instead of bickering over "it doesn't say it's an RPG here", why not just use common sense instead of consulting with an official website that is probably written entirely in buzz words? I seriously hope nobody actually scours the Official Mass Effect website just to determine whether it contains the acronym 'rpg'. I don't even care about ME3 and I don't have anything against Jaeson, but all this thread moving strikes me as bizarre (especially after the rules were just changed to make what goes in RPGD more lenient). Jaeson was also clearly just itching to move the DoomRL thread out of the RPG forum until he further investigated the matter.

Is pressing the 'move thread' button really that fun?

Just my two cents.

EDIT - I clicked on this thread before DU responded, please don't assume I was trying to beat a dead horse.

Repressed Homosexual
Not just DoomRL but also for the Phantasy Star thread, in spite of JRPGs now clearly being allowed.

I have nothing at all against Jaesun either, but hopefully this marks the end of these controversies.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wow, this is just like those theological arguments: is it work if I press the button on the elevator? If yes, hire a gentile to operate the lift on Sabbath. Is it work if I wash my clothes? Is it work if I play instruments during service?
Is ME3 an rpg? Does it have stats? Level ups? What does Mobygames say? How about the offical site? If not, banish it to the untouchable forum.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Case closed. Please don't make this an issue again or I'll demote you. The point is not to be anally retentive about what is and what isn't an RPG. The point is to have a forum where we can discuss RPG type things and argue about whether shit is or isn't an RPG. Not to keep moving shit back and forth between forums like petulant tards.

OK I shall follow that.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
And now to wait until someone comes up with a RPG that has neither stats nor level ups, so the subforum can finally be called GAMES WITH NUMBARS

Yeah, about that...

OceBa.jpg

I'm glad to see we now have a FPS-exclusive forum, but what about all the other games? :(

Also the Sims have stats and can 'level up', so to speak. Can we discuss that in GGWS&LUD?

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Top Ten reasons why The Sims 3 is an rpg, I was going to do that, it even has dungeons to explore, monsters to fight, traps to evade, chests to loot, romance, babies etc

This is one of the worst topics I have seen in a while. The blame falls primarily on Jaesun for trying to subject the forums to his retarded pedantry and annoying enough people to make them constantly create these threads. DU must be really sick of having to micromanage his units like this.

As I always understood it, the moderation function on this board was purely an administrative one (clearing things up, helping with problems etc.) and never about inflicting your personal views on people via your moderation role. "This is not a real RPG so I am moving it" is really no different to someone else not approving a message because they don't like the views in it. Does that sound like the Codex?

As DU said, GRPG is there for people to debate whether or not they think something is an RPG, and should be there for people to use when they think their topic is genuinely RPG related. The only real reason to move a thread out of there is when someone accidentally creates one there or is obviously trolling (even those are better to be ignored than fed via moving). Anything else creates stupid meta threads like this

TL;DR find something more productive to do with your time, Jaesun (and whoever else is doing it)

MetalCraze

Arcane
Excommunicator said:
"This is not a real RPG so I am moving it" is really no different to someone else not approving a message because they don't like the views in it. Does that sound like the Codex?
Yes. Try voicing a different opinion in a thread about whatever overhyped shooter with stats was released recently in a shooter with stats forum and enjoy shit flinging at you for several pages whereas all other posts are "yes this new Bethesda/Bioware/Obsidian/CDP game is so awesome, not like that shit by retarded Bethesda/Bioware/Obsidian/CDP" - varies depending on what dev is cool or not at the moment. Right now Bioware is becoming the cool dev again with a random Mass Effect thread getting to 150 pages in no time (because ME3 is close to release and Codex is overloading Origin with preorders already). Guess Bethesda will be the ultimate evil this season (cuz no game is close to release yet by them).

After all Codex is known for playing many screenshots at Mobygames.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom