Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jaesun moves threads at random.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
[The cRPG industry] Mostly dead, except indies. And maybe Japan.

And that is why we HAVE General RPG Discussions. For example: What are BioWare and Bethesda doing wrong in game design? What are they failing to innovate in cRPG Mechanics. Etc etc... the opportunities for these kinds of discussions are great (and happen infrequently). There are many facets of this current RPG failed genre (by AAA Publishers/Developers) that we have yet to discuss....
Technically that's about game design in which case it would go in the Codex Workshop ("Your one stop source for RPG design, development, and modding discussions.").

Yes, actually It would. Noted.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
AN OFFICE JOB AND COMMUNITY WORK.

My condolences.

Yeah, this is probably how my future will go : I will get a shitty office job, I'll get in a fight with a coworker because I am a huge asshole that doesn't respect anything. I'll be condemned to community work until I turn into a good christian like HHR, who of course has an office job and does community work with a nice shit eating grin on his face. Then I will come back here to support my conservative agenda.

Perhaps the best option is to create a console RPG forum, either as a stand alone or as sub forum of GRPG?
This would be the best option I think. An RPG discussion forum for RPGs released on home computers (C64, Apple II, Amiga, IBM-PC) and an RPG discussion forum for RPGs released on game consoles.

More subforums? We can't even deal with two.

also, people would eventually notice the former getting 2 threads per month and the codex' prestigiousness would crumble like a castle of cards. Cards made of wet noodles.

racofer

Thread Incliner
The Codex, just like the TES series, needs to evolve and reduce the amount of subforums available and simplify things.

crojipjip

Developer
Übermensch
Hey guys. I've just come back from my annual trip to the future and I have some terrible news to report. During the next two years the Codex will morph into something unrecognizable! Gaze into the mirror of the future and heed this warning!

http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?board=6.0

Other than BSN and RPS forums, THAT place is Comedy Gold™.

Dear Jaesun. We should not allow ourselves to be distracted from our own goals. Recently there was a big push to finish projects. Sadly mad_max was lost because it backfired as a self-enema. turds will be turds. he fought his biology.

now onto the truth. we want physical gains in the world outside the abstract. I am claiming to know a way for us to focus on ideas that have a free and open devastation wherever we execute them. We are intelligent beings so I think we should get to work on some designs. From beauty, to innovation to the sacrifices made to achieve results in our assumed fixed domain.

you and I, codex and us, through collaboration can begin to break the barriers of reality. I don't mean violating what is clearly our foundation for creativity, afterall at least we can get several orders of magnitude in revenge to any of the four corners of earth. connection, welfare, and safety, its time to move on.

Let the disease of dignity be your end, not nightmares once upon a dreamland of the reality you already know. Don't let your sex life dictate the flow of peace. Victory is the orgasm of war.

crojipjip

Developer
Übermensch
The seeds of exhaustion has spread. We must now balance the highlights of lesbian hairdos with our semen.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I was sure you were a conservative christian already, so you're making a good start on it.

Well sir, you're a presumptuous motherfucker! I'm saying this about HHR because he said it was the case with him explicitly, so no forceful interpretation on my part there. If you must know, philosophically and spiritually I give christianity credit, because I don't especially like to toss 2000 years out the window for the sake of the anti-tradition, individualist bourgeois type of world view. I think something like a phenomenology of belief is possible beyond a yes or no answer to the issue of religion. As far as my pragmatic views are concerned, they are rather contextual as I prefer to adapt to every situation without following any kind of set guidelines. I also have a lot of mood swings. But I don't think any of this has much to do with my anti-rationalism, which can indeed be a mark of conservatism but also of the radical left (which can in turn be conservative, depending on context). I realise how innapropriate this post here is in this thread but fuck it, I'm pressing the button and you'll never stop me look at this shit go

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It's a tough one.

The problem is that RPGs are a dead genre on PC, while glorious Nippon is still producing tons and tons of RPGs, many of which are turn based and party based.

So if we don't arbitrarily exclude console RPGs from General RPG discussion, our posts about games from 1991 will be drowned in a sea of console RPG threads about Kawaii desu Waifus and bento boxes.

Perhaps the best option is to create a console RPG forum, either as a stand alone or as sub forum of GRPG?

Yeah, well - there are plenty of PC exclusive Japanese RPGs still being made. So no matter what, the end is the same.

I'll be the first to admit that they are mainly horrible shit and should be avoided like plague, but then again I've long ago given up all hope of seeing a decent new western TB RPG in my lifetime. Sometimes one has to swim in a sea of shit to dive pearls, but of course it'd be preferable they'd wash themselves before coming to your living room.

pipka

Savant
Let me summarize this thread for your convenience:

∧_∧
             へ          (´<_` ) < THREAD MOVED
    / ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄\ヽ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄⌒    \
   (  人WEEBOO)  ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄\        )
    |ミ/  ー◎-◎-)           |        .|
   (6     (_ _) )        |      | |
    | ∴ ノ  3 ノ _       |      | |
     \_____ノ _ E〕      |      | |
    (    ))___〕__E〕     |      |_丿
    |      ヽ__〕_E〕     |   /ヽ  |
    |_    FAGGOT _)      |  | |  |
    (三三三三三[□]三).         |  | |  |

FFFUUUU             ∧_∧
◎               へ          (´<_` ) < MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
  \    ≫ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄彡ヽ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄⌒    \
      彡WEEBOO人 )  ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄\       )
 ◎-●一( (゚) (゚)    ヽミ         |.      |
      ((_ _ (( ( ;;-=- ̄=─ ̄ '⌒ヽ〉     | |
 ‘,'.∴・,‘・(ε ((  ヽ-=_二__ ̄    \     | |
  ,'.・∵  ヽ_____ ノ       ̄\     / /
       (__))     ヽ        .\__/_丿
       |  |  FAGGOT   ヽ        |  |
       |  |______)          |  |
       |  〉三三三[□]三)         |  |

゚ 。 彡_,,ヾミ。         
 ゚ ・<;゚`Д⊂ヽ < WHINE WHINE WHINE DU PUHLEEZ
    (    ノ
   ム_)_)

ミ ヽヽヽリリノノノノ
          彡ミイ  ̄ ̄'` ̄ヾミ
          彡ミi )      ;|ミ
          彡ミ〉____i,i_____イミ
           rミi_|     ∧   |    
           {6〈`┬ー´_ |_ーイ    < KNOW YOU PLACE WOMAN JAESUN
          ヾ|  (  ,-ー-、) |     
           \ `- ⌒-´ノ
           /i\ __ノ ヽ
           /ヽ__/ヽvー――ヽ⌒ヽ
       ―=/      \ _   /  三 ニ =―
   ―=ニ /)─   ―___> `ヽ/   │  三 ニ =―
        (])(○)  ( (コ__〉__> ヽ   」三 ニ =―
       (])⌒.( 0 0 )(コ__〉__>  〉/   ニ =―
        (])   |r┬-| (コ__〉__> ,.'  三 ニ =―
         \ `ー'~  `――'―'"      三 ニ =―
          ★ ̄>ニ/ ̄ ̄
              丿 ! `☆

/ノノノノノノノノノノ
   (  l  ; ., ; ; ,,;ヽ
   ..|ミ/;, ,,ー◎-◎― )
   (6; ;,, ; ,; ,(。。);, ,;;;)
    |/, ;∴; ノ; .;;3; ;ノ; 丿 <ORIGATO MY NIGGA
    /\;;__,,,,;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,,,,) 
     /ノノノノノノノノノノ
   (  l  ; ., ; ; ,,;ヽ
   ..|ミ/;, ,,ー◎-◎― )
    |/, ;∴; ノ; .;;3; ;ノ; 丿 <DU YOUR MY PERSONAL JESUS
    /ノノノノノノノノノノ
   (  l  ; ., ; ; ,,;ヽ
   ..|ミ/;, ,,ー◎-◎― )
    |/, ;∴; ノ; .;;3; ;ノ; 丿 <I ROVE TRAINS BEES

┌─┐
          |● l
 /\      ├─┘     /\
< ● \   _|__    / ● >
 \/  \/___ノ(_\;/ \ /
      ;/_ J●P _.\;
    ;/ノ(( 。 )三( ゚ )∪\; <GRORIOUS NIPPON EMPIRE! HOW I ROVE YOUR FECAR MATTER!
   ;.| ⌒  (__人__) ノ(  |.; 
   ..;\ u. . |++++|  ⌒ /;
,..-ヽー'',,.. ' ノ`丶--'

,-─- 、
       /     \    ,. -‐- 、
       |,/⌒i\  \, '´( °) ヽ
            \  ⌒ヽ. ( °)i
                \   i  ,,,  l  < HOPW ROEWUR NE?
       ∵:。:∴。,。゚ / }_    ,ノi 
     ∵:。:∴。、、  , ' ,_'   ̄ ̄  }
       oo , 。,U , ' , ':::|_  i   ;:::l
      o , 。,U /,.イ::::l:::::ヽ l |‐':::;'
      l∴ U _'ィ´ l:::l:::::l:::ヽレ':;'::;'
        l: U     l:::::l::l::::;'::::;::'
       !:|       〉、::;;;;:::ィ´
       U       オ   卞

Repressed Homosexual
It's a tough one.

The problem is that RPGs are a dead genre on PC, while glorious Nippon is still producing tons and tons of RPGs, many of which are turn based and party based.

So if we don't arbitrarily exclude console RPGs from General RPG discussion, our posts about games from 1991 will be drowned in a sea of console RPG threads about Kawaii desu Waifus and bento boxes.

Yeah, well - there are plenty of PC exclusive Japanese RPGs still being made. So no matter what, the end is the same.

I'll be the first to admit that they are mainly horrible shit and should be avoided like plague, but then again I've long ago given up all hope of seeing a decent new western TB RPG in my lifetime. Sometimes one has to swim in a sea of shit to dive pearls, but of course it'd be preferable they'd wash themselves before coming to your living room.

There were never that many of them, people really never started threat many JRPG threads because there aren't that many JRPGs will really compelling gaming systems, which I think is what the vast majority of Codexers are interested in and why they post here instead of Gamefaqs. I have a really hard time standing 90%+ of them, but give me Etrian Odyssey or Tactics Ogre which have really interesting gameplay and I am in.

To me the ambiguity of shooters with RPG elements (or vice-versa) is what led to infinitely more confusion.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
It's a tough one.

There were never that many of them, people really never started threat many JRPG threads because there aren't that many JRPGs will really compelling gaming systems, which I think is what the vast majority of Codexers are interested in and why they post here instead of Gamefaqs. I have a really hard time standing 90%+ of them, but give me Etrian Odyssey or Tactics Ogre which have really interesting gameplay and I am in.

To me the ambiguity of shooters with RPG elements (or vice-versa) is what led to infinitely more confusion.

Like Alpha Protocol?

spekkio

Arcane
MMXI said:
An RPG discussion forum for RPGs released on home computers (C64, Apple II, Amiga, IBM-PC) and an RPG discussion forum for RPGs released on game consoles.
K. So console ports of Wizardries and Ultimas go where? And what about console games released on PC as well (99% of current "PC cRPGS" like MA, DA, ES series).

Metro said:
Just make a JRPG/weeaboo subforum and be done with it.

K. So Anachronox goes here or to PC forum, since it's jRPG but not weaboo. And Lost Souls goes where, since it's aRPG made in Japan?

HERP DERP PC 4 LYFE!

Real men gave up on platform wars after the mighty Atari vs. Commodore battle.

MMXI

Arcane
K. So console ports of Wizardries and Ultimas go where?
Console RPG forum. Obviously. Same place as those console exclusive Shadowrun cRPGs.

And what about console games released on PC as well (99% of current "PC cRPGS" like MA, DA, ES series).
Depends on what is being asked. If someone wants to know about the changes in a console version, then that can go in the console RPG one. Alternatively there could just be a blanket rule where all multi-platform RPGs go into the PC RPG forum. The only downside to that is the likes of FF7 and FF8. But then again those games weren't made for the PC, but ported to the PC later. So you could make a rather easy distinction there.

I think people have large enough brains to figure out where something should go. It's far clearer than the previous GRPG/GG divide that caused this thread in the first place.

K. So Anachronox goes here or to PC forum, since it's jRPG but not weaboo.
PC RPG forum. It's PC only. A pretty clear cut example actually.

And Lost Souls goes where, since it's aRPG made in Japan?
Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls? Wikipedia says it's a PlayStation 3 exclusive, so it would go in the console RPG forum. Why does it deserve to go in the PC CRPG forum over Etrian Odyssey and The Dark Spire? Because it has the Wizardry name attached to it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom