Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How many units will AoD sell? The bets are ON!

Well?

• <500

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 500 - 1,000

• 1,000 - 2,500

• 2,500 - 5,000

• 5,000 - 10,000

• 10,000 - 50,000

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
100K sales in one month so Codex can troll Obsidian fanboys. :D

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Azrael the cat said:
Sub said:
Too pussy to say it to my face Azrael that you have to resort to tiny text and in an area of the fora where I don't normally go?

Actually I did say it to your face. Right in the very thread where you declared your non-interest in the subject matter of this forum.

IMO you're both equally retarded, but how can you say "something to someone's face" over the internet lol

ur a kool dude and she's a he, nice internet owning man :decline:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Micormic said:
Avadon was shit though :thumbsup:
Steam sells a ton of bad games, so that can't be why it was rejected. And Vogel said it's doing really well on the ipad app store and he's been just fine without them this far, so it's likely their loss.

vendetta

Novice
I think you will be all blown out of the water. + 111 111 copies.

where do I bet? £10.

EDIT: OP posted counts will be done after the game being sold for 365 dqys, right? worldwide? including all sellers?

MCA
Vault Dweller said:
Norfleet said:
Few to none. I find it very difficult to imagine how an nonexistent product can be sold. At this point this AoD thing is a bigger joke than Duike Nukem Forever. At least I hear they FINALLY managed to put SOMETHING out.
Releasing SOMETHING isn't the point of the fucking exercise, is it?

Indeed, I release a load in the toilet on most days. Big fucking deal. But it certainly feels better than not releasing it, latter of which is not very healthy.

MCA
Konjad said:
Regdar said:
This may come as a surprise, but a lot of people living in the third world don't have credit cards (or debit cards), especially students. Webmoney and PayPal accounts aren't all that common, either. Most people when they want something they can't find in the store just order it online and pay the courier at their doorstep.

On the other hand, those people don't represent a loss of revenue to the developer when they pirate, because barely any one of them would buy the game even if piracy wasn't an option. They just wouldn't go through the trouble of acquiring a debit card (which can take up to 2 weeks) for the sake of buying a game.

I'm not even talking about 50$ (and I understand that AoD will cost a lot less than that) being MORE than the minimum SALARY when converted into some currencies. Life in the FSU is a bitch.

Are you in such a place?

Obviously I was talking to the codexers who live in Europe/Americas/Australia/New Zealand and other semi-developed places, which is like 100% (at worst 99.9%) of the codex. If someone in here is from Somalia or Nigeria then feel free to pirate everything, you have my blessing, but I doubt anyone from these places would have internet connection and care about posting in such a forum.

Yeah, there are no poor people in the developed world. Having an internet connection and devoting even an a few minutes of your life per day to a forum is ultimate proof that you can fend for yourself financially.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Arem said:
Vast majority of kodexers will pirate AoD, finish it 7 times while trying to find something they can rage against. And rage they will. At graphix.
When the price drops to 1$ a decade later, they will finally buy it to support the developer.
:rpgcodex:
AHHAHAHAHAA...... no.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I probably would have bought it on release... over a year ago, when it had 2D graphics. I have long since stopped giving a fuck. Won't even DL it unless it gets unexpectedly good reviews. It probably won't ever be released anyways.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
villain of the story said:
Indeed, I release a load in the toilet on most days. Big fucking deal. But it certainly feels better than not releasing it, latter of which is not very healthy.

What does it matter? It's not your "load" and as long as a quality RPG is released at some point it's cool enough. Are you saying you'd feel more at ease if they just dropped AoD?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Roguey said:
It would be an absurd notion for a vice president of sales and marketing to botch the marketing of his own product.
Tho' stranger things have happened.

I understand Vogel sells around the 4k mark for his games but they're complex and have shitty graphics. I expect VD to capture some of that indie market like Divine Divinity and Eschalon. I'd hedge around a minimum of 5,000 - 10,000 copies mark but if it becomes a popular defining RPG of the time with lots of publicity on us, GameBanshee and the Watch than I'd expect it to do much better than that and maybe sell around 5,003 - 10,003 copies.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Konjad said:
Guys, are you gonna pirate AoD? Like - really? I understand when someone pirates oblibian, ME or arcania if they want to see for themselves if they are really shit, their devs and publishers deserve no money for these turds. However I just cannot understand why would anyone pirate good cRPGs if they want more of them. Either you support devs making games like that or shut the fuck up and stop whining about the decline, because you actually tell them to die.

No i'm not going to pirate it.
On the other hand, neither will i buy it.

None, because at this rate it won't be released before the Clevepocalypse. Three dudes can only do so much and the quality they want takes a lot of time. I don't know if they can make it before ULTIMATE DOOM arrives to North Amerikwa.

Realtalk: I'm guessing 5000 to 10,000 over about a year and a half, with a strong initial rush from devoted followers, and slow, but steady, sales from "word of mouth".

MCA
DamnedRegistrations said:
I probably would have bought it on release... over a year ago, when it had 2D graphics. I have long since stopped giving a fuck. Won't even DL it unless it gets unexpectedly good reviews. It probably won't ever be released anyways.

"Over a year ago" is a massive understatement of how long the game has been in development in 3D form.

And it's good to know you care so much about 2D, like them next-gen console kiddie punks who stare awestruck at next-gen walls and refuse to play anything with less than Shader Model 3.0. WHERES MY FUCKING PARALLAX MAPPING WITH PROCEDURAL GEOMETRY THIS GAME FUCKING SUCKS FUCK THIS SHIT IF I WANTED TO PLAY OBSOLETE SHIT ID PLAY SNAKE ON MAH CELL!

Ah, the Codex, a hive of intellect and high monoclism.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
VD has shown himself to be a crude flipflopper that cannot admit he's wrong, a bit like Cryway and Cleve in fact. The result of which I wonder if AoD is anything more than a vanity project that will never see the light of day, or if it does, whether VD is the kind of person that would take criticism of his game, balancing issues, design decisions, bugs etc. from the public and strive to improve it. I'd say given his snarky performances on threads here that he's not the kind of person that takes critique well. I'm seeing a fuck up of Brian Wardell and Elemental proportions with this.

torpid

Liturgist
^Still butthurt about the Witcher 2 review :lol:

I voted 2,500-5,000, which is Jeff Vogel territory. AoD has much better graphics and (reportedly) more varied gameplay so it has the potential to sell a lot more, but it's also their first game. Depending on how good the game is and how comparable it is to the old-school titles it emulates, good reviews and word-of-mouth could increase sales in the medium to long-term.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
commie said:
VD has shown himself to be a crude flipflopper...
I don't recall changing my position on a whim, but since you do, would you care to post a link or two?

... that cannot admit he's wrong...
Admitted plenty of times, as recent as two days ago, but let's not get facts to get in the way.

I'd say given his snarky performances on threads here that he's not the kind of person that takes critique well....
Name one AoD's feature that hasn't been critiqued. If I couldn't handle criticism (and bitching in general), I wouldn't have been posting on the Codex.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
SCO said:
Konjad said:
Guys, are you gonna pirate AoD? Like - really? I understand when someone pirates oblibian, ME or arcania if they want to see for themselves if they are really shit, their devs and publishers deserve no money for these turds. However I just cannot understand why would anyone pirate good cRPGs if they want more of them. Either you support devs making games like that or shut the fuck up and stop whining about the decline, because you actually tell them to die.

No i'm not going to pirate it.
On the other hand, neither will i buy it.
Even if you'll like the demo?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
My remaining money is being used in essentials like electricity and potato.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
VD, I've been browsing news sites and forums dedicated to indie games and not a word of AoD in them. When was your release target, again?
Between 2020 and 2025. If everything goes well.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
SCO said:
My remaining money is being used in essentials like electricity and potato.
This is not a valid excuse for not taking part in that very important moment in history of our culture :rpgcodex: .

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
commie said:
VD has shown himself to be a crude flipflopper that cannot admit he's wrong, a bit like Cryway and Cleve in fact. The result of which I wonder if AoD is anything more than a vanity project that will never see the light of day, or if it does, whether VD is the kind of person that would take criticism of his game, balancing issues, design decisions, bugs etc. from the public and strive to improve it. I'd say given his snarky performances on threads here that he's not the kind of person that takes critique well. I'm seeing a fuck up of Brian Wardell and Elemental proportions with this.

How can you be this mad over a review of an action game by people who like cRPG's? They only did it because of a drought of their favourite genre, of course it would be slightly snarky.

Vault Dweller said:
VD, I've been browsing news sites and forums dedicated to indie games and not a word of AoD in them. When was your release target, again?
Between 2020 and 2025. If everything goes well.
Sweet hopefully you will use some of that time to incorporate some quality romances (bonus points if it's with a different species, x2 multiplier if it is same-sex). Don't forget to include full cutscenes, I don't want any of that text-erotica from those "RPG's" Fallout/Planescape.

Deleted Member 10432

If 8000+ downloaded the (free) demo, and ~2500 signed up to the forum... I reckon about 500 might actually pay for the game. 1000 absolute maximum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom