Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How many units will AoD sell? The bets are ON!

Well?

• <500

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 500 - 1,000

• 1,000 - 2,500

• 2,500 - 5,000

• 5,000 - 10,000

• 10,000 - 50,000

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Roguey said:
Vogel's mentioned this before on his blog but the issue with setting the price point so low is that you'll get great initial sales and then pretty much nothing. You can get all those people later in a future sale once you've milked everyone willing to pay a higher price. For example, DoD's already fallen out of the top ten and there's no way it's ever climbing back up.

Of course not, but I guarantee it will still do more 'word of mouth' business than if it were priced at $30 and it did only a fraction of the 20,000ish sales. Rather have 20,000ish give or take telling their friends it's a great game and to buy it since it's a steal of a price than 1,000ish saying it's okay but not for $30.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Metro said:
Of course not, but I guarantee it will still do more 'word of mouth' business than if it were priced at $30 and it did only a fraction of the 20,000ish sales. Rather have 20,000ish give or take telling their friends it's a great game and to buy it since it's a steal of a price than 1,000ish saying it's okay but not for $30.
It depends on how big the fraction is. 20,000 for $5 gets you $100,000 (that has to recoup the cost of development and advertising plus split four ways among the team) However, if they were to sell a maximum of 8000 copies at $25 they'd get $200,000 plus more after an eventual discount. It's a risky balancing act but I think it's better to err on the side of making more and discounting later rather than underselling (and selling 80,000 copies of a $50 game is far, far better than three million copies of a $1 game). Consumers generally don't know what they want and will often unknowingly lie about what they consider acceptable.

Mortmal

Arcane
Multi-headed Cow said:
It would appear Dungeons of Dredmor has sold 20,000+ copies in roughly a week, since a super low scoring bro on my friend list was at 18,000th place. Moral of the story, sell AoD for $5 on Steam. With 10% off for the first week.

20K for a graphical rogue like, with less gameplay than the free roguelikes , and terrible graphic style ?Thats a lot. I mean really, why should i buy that when i could play crawl for free.
If AOD is reviewed as a decent fallout like game it will reach 50k very easily , trust me.Stuf like xcom is still selling on steam there's a signifiant customer base for turn based games.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
phelot said:
AoD looks like it will be worth the traditional $50.
Especially that we'll get a real boxed edition for that price.

I never buy these indie cRPGs for 25$ because it's so much work for such an imperfect product, but AoD looks like a quality game - something that I was waiting for since Fallout.

Cassidy

Arcane
1 because by then everyone else will be too busy running away from machete rape gangs while Cleve plays both AoD and Grimoire from his bunker with the last remaining fuel for the generator.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cassidy said:
1 because by then everyone else will be too busy running away from machete rape gangs while Cleve plays both AoD and Grimoire from his bunker with the last remaining fuel for the generator.

Well, Grimoire is kind of released, just not officially, I haven't got PM from Cleve about my signature so far :M

Butcer

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
villain of the story said:
Well, what do you think? The poll will run for 365 days.

I also propose a real gamble (apart from the public poll) to pool some money (PayPal could work) and to divide the money between winners, if any. If no one wins, it goes to the Codex so DU won't bitch about bandwidth like a fat Jew next year again; or to Mitsodas to support Dead State or to the Iron Tower for Age of Decadence OR, the best option, a lottery where the winner would have the obligation of spending all of it on hookers and booze at once with pics for all Codexers to fap to.

Error margin would be +/- 10%.

edit: Sticky please.
You cant sell a game that does not exist :M

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
They came pretty close with the people who bought Hellgate Lifetime Subscriptions at 150 USD each not including the price of the actual game

Xzar

Augur
Konjad said:
Regdar said:
This may come as a surprise, but a lot of people living in the third world don't have credit cards (or debit cards), especially students. Webmoney and PayPal accounts aren't all that common, either. Most people when they want something they can't find in the store just order it online and pay the courier at their doorstep.

On the other hand, those people don't represent a loss of revenue to the developer when they pirate, because barely any one of them would buy the game even if piracy wasn't an option. They just wouldn't go through the trouble of acquiring a debit card (which can take up to 2 weeks) for the sake of buying a game.

I'm not even talking about 50$ (and I understand that AoD will cost a lot less than that) being MORE than the minimum SALARY when converted into some currencies. Life in the FSU is a bitch.

Are you in such a place?

Obviously I was talking to the codexers who live in Europe/Americas/Australia/New Zealand and other semi-developed places, which is like 100% (at worst 99.9%) of the codex. If someone in here is from Somalia or Nigeria then feel free to pirate everything, you have my blessing, but I doubt anyone from these places would have internet connection and care about posting in such a forum.

Being semi-developed country not equals tradition of having a credit card. I'm 27 and I only had a card for a year in my life, used it for ebay and betfair only. Its of no use to me otherwise, salaries here are cash-only, as well as shops. I'd say 90% of population of Ukraine and Belarus - countries not far from yours, can fully fit into Redgar's description.

Returning to the topic, i'd considered buying with Webmoney system.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
50,000 + above.
There's plenty of hype. And VD can drive up sales by giving interviews to most RPG haunts. There's more than 100,000 old school gamers who don't mind old graphics.

almondblight

Arcane
Over 10k if there's decent word of mouth. That's assuming a $25-30 price range. I remember that Armageddon Empires had decent word of mouth on sites like Penny Arcade that shot up it's sales. If VD can get the right people playing it and talking about it, sales could be very good.

Release date estimates? I'm guessing Q1 2012 for the demo and Q2 2013 for the release.

Are they still planning a Mac version?

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Sub said:
After all, you are all gentlemen who have exquisite taste, right?

Wrong( I know i'll get flamed for this ). More like a bunch of old farts, shunned by the society. Clinging on a dieing genre. Taste might still be exquisite, but it's irrelevant as no one caters to it. It's not some elite club of like minded individuals it's more like a bitter retreat of last resort.

Sub said:
Why can't I hang out somewhere I can actually read about what may be good or appropriate and get good advice?

Why da fuck would I need an advice if I don't care about the product? Should I hang around some female forums discussing tampons or similar stuff. What's the point if I am not gona use them. Besides when did codex agree on anything. If you want to see a pissing contest and conflicting opinions then codex is place to be, but otherwise I would stay away. And I am not even talking about people claiming to hate games they BUY. Even shit games like DA and DA2 has followers here.

Sub said:
Also, calling me hideous can be interpreted as a poor attempt to get me to produce pictures to prove that I am neither tranny/male nor hideous. I'm not saying that it is, just that it can be interpreted as such. So be careful there.

The mere fact that you are posting in the codex tells that you don't look like J. Lo or similar gals. You would be blowing someone on the yachts or enjoying parties 24/7 if you would look great. Posting in the codex also shows that you are not having a spectacular career either. You just wouldnt enough have time. So I for one don't care about your pictures cause you are average at best in all aspects of life ( unless you are doing some psychology research on people in da internet ). Some nerds must be really starving for attention to want to see your pictures...

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
whichever case is likely because AoD is probably going to be released after Skyrim

perhaps a turn based isometric mod will be possible with the completely new engine bethesda is using

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Multi-headed Cow said:
It would appear Dungeons of Dredmor has sold 20,000+ copies in roughly a week, since a super low scoring bro on my friend list was at 18,000th place. Moral of the story, sell AoD for $5 on Steam. With 10% off for the first week.

I have only played the game for 15 minutes with a score of 116 and I am ranked over 40000.

If AoD hits Steam it will sell 50000+ if priced well and included in some specials.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Depends on the release price. $50 as someone suggested? Lol, no. $15-20 and it'll hit the impulse buy spot.

sgc_meltdown said:
They came pretty close with the people who bought Hellgate Lifetime Subscriptions at 150 USD each not including the price of the actual game

It amazes me that anybody--anybody at all--fell for this.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I hope AoD gets better marketing than planescape torment at least
Mr Weller I suggest sending a gold copy to Mr Avellone and having a quote from him on your box and website like "not too shitty for something from rpgcodex" or "I preferred dragon age but this is okay too" or even "what baldur's gate 3 would have been if made by a canadian"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom