Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Leave Roguey alone! It's not his fault his memories of his childhood friend and experiences were implanted by US. Gov, and they made everything as lame as they possibly could. Not his fault his head is in the clouds.

Edit: Roguey is still my favorite decline enabler though, as he doesn't insist the newer versions and iterations are better even if he clearly thinks that, and always takes a good bashing well.
Nothing worse than a decline enabler who rubs in your face how much better they think the new garbage is and argues it 'till to the grave, despite probably never playing the original.
u-https-tse4-mm-bing-net-th-id-OIP.jpg

"You're sitting in a room. Your childhood friend is playing Final Fantasy 7. Years later you say on a forum that you played it, but no you didn't actually play it. Your childhood friend played it. Then you say you actually did play it but not far. You get called on your bullshit. What do you do?"

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Leave Roguey alone! It's not his fault his memories of his childhood friend and experiences were implanted by US. Gov, and they made everything as lame as they possibly could. Not his fault his head is in the clouds.

Edit: Roguey is still my favorite decline enabler though, as he doesn't insist the newer versions and iterations are better even if he clearly thinks that, and always takes a good bashing well.
Nothing worse than a decline enabler who rubs in your face how much better they think the new garbage is and argues it to the grave, despite probably never playing the original.
If there is one thing the remake did well was Tifa. I wish she would sit on my face forever

P.S. Hell House + Hard Mode = best part of the game

Last edited:

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I tried playing this last night because if I'm going to hate it this much I should at least be able to do it properly, right? So I finished the bombing mission and starting walking towards the train to get away and the next thing I know Sephiroth appears out of nowhere. 2 hours into the game and you're already seeing him and he's talking to Cloud like they they know each other and Cloud is somehow important in Sephiroth's mind. This is already retarded. We shouldn't even be seeing him at all in this game considering where it ends and Sephiroth barely knew Cloud. He shouldn't be thinking about him at all really.

Then I got to where you meet Aerith for the first time and those stupid fucking time ghosts showed up. I quit not long after once I got to the train. I don't think I can do this bros.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I tried playing this last night because if I'm going to hate it this much I should at least be able to do it properly, right? So I finished the bombing mission and starting walking towards the train to get away and the next thing I know Sephiroth appears out of nowhere. 2 hours into the game and you're already seeing him and he's talking to Cloud like they they know each other and Cloud is somehow important in Sephiroth's mind. This is already retarded. We shouldn't even be seeing him at all in this game considering where it ends and Sephiroth barely knew Cloud. He shouldn't be thinking about him at all really.

Then I got to where you meet Aerith for the first time and those stupid fucking time ghosts showed up. I quit not long after once I got to the train. I don't think I can do this bros.

https://square-enix-games.com/en_GB/news/final-fantasy-vii-remake-story-sephiroth

Sephiroth appears in FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE much earlier than he does in the original game. Why did you make the decision to introduce him here?

Kitase-san: There are two main reasons. Firstly, the way we handled Sephiroth in the original FINAL FANTASY VII was to hide him - hold him back.

You may not know this, but I was inspired by the movie Jaws which took a similar approach of teasing this powerful presence, but never fully showing you the shark until later in the story. We wanted to build him up as this really big, powerful character in people’s minds. By only referring to him indirectly, it created this feeling of fear and oppression - so when he makes his first appearance, it’s a big deal.

But for the remake, that doesn’t work so well - partly because everybody knows who Sephiroth is (laughs)! We didn’t think it would be as effective to have him held back until later on in the story.

Secondly, Sephiroth is this massively overarching presence that looms over the whole FINAL FANTASY VII saga. We wanted to make sure that aspect of him was present in this first game in the project - that’s why we have introduced him much earlier in the story now.

Like I said, prior knowledge of FF7 is required. This is both a remake and a sequel.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron

https://square-enix-games.com/en_GB/news/final-fantasy-vii-remake-story-sephiroth

Sephiroth appears in FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE much earlier than he does in the original game. Why did you make the decision to introduce him here?

Kitase-san: There are two main reasons. Firstly, the way we handled Sephiroth in the original FINAL FANTASY VII was to hide him - hold him back.

You may not know this, but I was inspired by the movie Jaws which took a similar approach of teasing this powerful presence, but never fully showing you the shark until later in the story. We wanted to build him up as this really big, powerful character in people’s minds. By only referring to him indirectly, it created this feeling of fear and oppression - so when he makes his first appearance, it’s a big deal.

But for the remake, that doesn’t work so well - partly because everybody knows who Sephiroth is (laughs)! We didn’t think it would be as effective to have him held back until later on in the story.

Secondly, Sephiroth is this massively overarching presence that looms over the whole FINAL FANTASY VII saga. We wanted to make sure that aspect of him was present in this first game in the project - that’s why we have introduced him much earlier in the story now.

Like I said, prior knowledge of FF7 is required. This is both a remake and a sequel.
This doesn't make any sense to me for one major reason. In another interview they said that their reason for not doing a real remake was because they wanted zoomers to play it. That was their main excuse for the shitty action combat. So if this game is being made for people who never played the original then why make something that requires knowledge of the original? It's like they didn't have a clear vision and they just made it shit for new fans and old fans.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This doesn't make any sense to me for one major reason. In another interview they said that their reason for not doing a real remake was because they wanted zoomers to play it. That was their main excuse for the shitty action combat. So if this game is being made for people who never played the original then why make something that requires knowledge of the original? It's like they didn't have a clear vision and they just made it shit for new fans and old fans.
749590_back.jpg

"The legend returns for all generations." Wiki articles, Let's Plays, and Pop cultural osmosis exist.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Their whole logic does not make any sense. Holding back the reveal of an antagonist is an important method of suspense buildup and you completely waste it because some people already know the story?

I mean why not spoil the ending of every remake ever in the opening scene because people exist that know the ending right?

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I don't really care what their reasoning is anyway. Obviously they had some kind of reason for everything they did, but that doesn't mean that the result isn't shit. I really just can't fathom why so many people like this. I can understand not being bothered by the story if you didn't play or didn't love the original, but the combat isn't even that good. It's mostly just mashing the attack button and I personally don't think action games should have party members. I especially don't get how so many people that played the original can think it's good. It's so much more dumbed down. You can't do interesting materia combinations like putting both cover and counter attack on someone anymore and the writing is offensive to me.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Their whole logic does not make any sense. Holding back the reveal of an antagonist is an important method of suspense buildup and you completely waste it because some people already know the story?

I mean why not spoil the ending of every remake ever in the opening scene because people exist that know the ending right?
"Everyone knows who Sephiroth is so we're not going to pretend that people are going into this blind having no idea what a Sephiroth is for the sake of doing a straight-forward retelling that we don't want to do."

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Obviously they had some kind of reason for everything they did, but that doesn't mean that the result isn't shit.

Because the whole meta-narrative is in vogue now, see the latest Spiderman movie, the Evangelion rebuilds and probably more. The whole entertainment industry is creatively broke and what's left is recycling and meta-commentating the past forever. This is what pure, unadulterated decline looks like.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
They could have just named it ff7-part 2 or whatever if they were honest but i guess rusty is right in that trolling ff7 die hards is the true end goal, it is the only way to explain these baffling changes whilst still having the balls to call a sequel story a remake.

Ash

Arcane
At least this dumb blogger confessed his sins and admitted it's shit. It's about the only article I can find by someone who doesn't like it.

https://crihak.wordpress.com/2020/06/28/i-think-i-actually-hate-the-final-fantasy-7-remake-now/

If it makes you feel better, normie gamer president 'Video Game Dunkey' hated the remake, and actually puts forth a lot of good criticism too (though not much is said about the gameplay, and when it is it is usually dumb as to be expected with normies):

I thought I wrote him off for good after his claiming Bioshock is a "masterpiece" and stated it is "challenging" which is the pinnacle of retardation, but he made some small steps to redeeming himself with this one.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
They could have just named it ff7-part 2 or whatever if they were honest but i guess rusty is right in that trolling ff7 die hards is the true end goal, it is the only way to explain these baffling changes whilst still having the balls to call a sequel story a remake.
I don't see how else it can be interpreted and it's hilarious.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sephiroth has been in a LOT of Square's games over the years. You don't need to be overly familiar with FF7 to know who he is. I mean, Sephiroth and Cloud fight in Kingdom Hearts, for example. They also have things like the Advent Children movie.

Square does so much fan service stuff in their titles that you pretty much have to be unfamiliar with Square's games entirely to not know who bigger characters like Sephiroth are.

Grimlorn

Arcane
It sounds like the ghosts are there as an insert for fans who wanted this remake to be the same story, and the devs changing everything to fuck with you.

lightbane

Arcane
I think someone said something about how the OG FF7 was getting worse with each new addition to the lore making it retroactively worse (ie: Cloud's original behaviour as an arrogant jerk, to the one understood by fans and adapted from KH forward: a brooding emo that funnily enough said role is already done by Vincent). The new "reimagining" is a step further.
I don't even care about FF7 that much (and I played it back when it was all the rage) and it's still somewhat sad to see FF7 becoming a self-parody.

EDIT:

Oh God, I watched that video. The 'Remake' is even worse than I thought as the comments here seem to be true.

Last edited:

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
As long as 7thheaven modmanager exists I wouldn't touch this shit. There are several very good mods for ff7, from gfx and sound mods to gameplay overhauls like new threat. It's still shitty ff7 ofc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom