Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So, has anyone here actually gotten and played this on PC? If I’m not diametrically opposed to the existence of this game is there any reason to wait rather than getting it soon? I know nothing about how the plot differs other than this release is ‘part 1’ and only covers Midgar.
I obviously played the original like everyone else with a PlayStation back then, but I don’t have a religious attachment to the it verse by verse.
I played on PS4 but get it whenever you want. It's 30-40 hours of solid content, there's going to be a years long for them to finish it, if they ever do.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Crisis Core Remake/Remaster has been announced too.
I know they're going to fuck it up, but man I loved this game. I think it might be the first game I ever finished and then immediately started New Game+ without a break. Probably the first game to ever give me feels too.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I bought a PS5 a while ago so I had to try this game for nostalgia's sake.

It's a thoroughly solid piece of shit, the kind that you push against really hard to get through only to find it's so dry and devoid of life that it rips your butt in twine on its way out.

The combat is a piece of shit (it looks like it should be fun but it's ruined by shitty AI that stands around and does nothing), the story is so fucking boring it hurts and the dialogue was written by unpaid interns. The only thing the game has going for itself are Tifa's boobs is how great it looks. I loved walking around with the background of the Midgar plate looming overhead, and a lot of locations really remind you of the old pre-rendered backgrounds in FF7.

Otherwise, the game is not fun to play and after 20 hours of slogging through its nu-FF combat, linear hallway maps and retardo interactions / voice-acting, I can't even be bothered to finish it.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I bought a PS5 a while ago so I had to try this game for nostalgia's sake.

It's a thoroughly solid piece of shit, the kind that you push against really hard to get through only to find it's so dry and devoid of life that it rips your butt in twine on its way out.

The combat is a piece of shit (it looks like it should be fun but it's ruined by shitty AI that stands around and does nothing), the story is so fucking boring it hurts and the dialogue was written by unpaid interns. The only thing the game has going for itself are Tifa's boobs is how great it looks. I loved walking around with the background of the Midgar plate looming overhead, and a lot of locations really remind you of the old pre-rendered backgrounds in FF7.

Otherwise, the game is not fun to play and after 20 hours of slogging through its nu-FF combat, linear hallway maps and retardo interactions / voice-acting, I can't even be bothered to finish it.

I've been going back and forth on whether I wanted to try this, but kept holding off because I figured that the above would be true from what I was seeing and what Square's been up to lately.

Thanks. :salute:

>Number one on Steam
>96 percent rating

ff7r-steam.png

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Today I learned that Part 1 of the Remake only contains 10% of the original game. What the fuck is Squeenix smoking? Release date of the last part 2041?

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Today I learned that Part 1 of the Remake only contains 10% of the original game. What the fuck is Squeenix smoking? Release date of the last part 2041?
It's a sequel. The story will change and you won't see many of the locations and experiences of the original.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Steam release today.

imagine buying a piece of a game with the promise that the rest will be done eventually maybe sometime in the next 20 years, and each piece costs the same (lmao $69.99) as a full game

SE has lost its god damn mind if it thinks people are going to pay that price for quarter of a game.

It's a full game with a climax. It just doesn't wrap up everything. This is like complaining that Mass Effect isn't a "full game" or Knights of the Republic 2 isn't a "full game" or the Witcher 2 isn't a "full game" and so on.

1ttffsse

Literate
Play it (the remake) if you like like good story and good characterization of characters. Don't play if you want choice to be determined by you - the player as game does a lot of hand holding for you blocking of areas of exploration so you have to follow a linear path, or if you are going into it already having decided that the original is the gospel and they gonna just f this up.

Pros: Combats were fun and engaging in this one - some cool boss fight set pieces. Also tremendous characterization and character arc potential in the main cast of characters and their stories.
Cons: Felt way too padded at times, with slow forced walking and cutscenes do sometimes get drawn out. Also while main characters are adorable at times there is a fine line between it still being gritty enough to keep it grounded and not becoming to saccharine and cartoony. Main campaign handled that mostly well though although the expansion with Wutai girl does become too cheezy and corny that way.

Withholding judgement on overall if it is better or worse than original until the full remake comes out. I personally believe that the makers will keep the main story unchanged but maybe "hint" at alternative and less tragic realities. But whatever, certain sacrifices had to be written into the main story to ensure sensible story arcs for the main characters and not wishy washy make-believe stuff. We'll see how this plays out.

Also since the full remake trilogy is like 6 years away, no reason to immediately buy these at full price right now and maybe wait for discounts.

Codex Year of the Donut
Don't play if you want choice to be determined by you - the player as game does a lot of hand holding for you blocking of areas of exploration so you have to follow a linear path, or if you are going into it already having decided that the original is the gospel and they gonna just f this up.
so it's a jrpg?

WTF guys, how many final fantasy 7s does there need to be? There are numbers other than 7!

I just don't remember the story being so deep or interesting that it needs to be retold... what is this, like 10 times now?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom