Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout New Vegas: Weapons/Character Build Talk.

pippin

It doesn't help that Raul is atop of a irradiated mountain filled with super mutants, though :P

valcik

Arcane
Repair skill 100 is needed for crafting cal. 50 Match ammo, which makes your Antimaterial Rifle more powerful and accurate.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
It doesn't help that Raul is atop of a irradiated mountain filled with super mutants, though :P
I so hate my self for ditching that cheesy ''cosmonaut'' armor that had 10 radiation resistance or smth. Spent all my radx/radaways in Vault 34 alone just to get to all the places i need. Fuck radiation.:mad: It really hurts in NV in comparison to original Fallouts.
Repair skill 100 is needed for crafting cal. 50 Match ammo, which makes your Antimaterial Rifle more powerful and accurate.
The problem is that i can't find any ''cases'' for .50 or 45/70govt amo so i can't craft shit. And i already have 100 repair. Wtf? Are those things level scaled? Buying ammo of that tire is incredibly expensive and there's like 50 round or so per3 days at gunrunners it seams. Maybe i bought Antimaterial and that other rifle (forgot it's name - it shoots the gov't ammo) too soon. Even good ol' Cowboy repeater still does the job with most humans, though. Also riot shotgun is the thing against deathclaws in VATS.

Btw, it's NV AIs are as hilarious as in gothic games. I annihilated whole of the powder gang base with .22 silenced pistol, without anyone noticing i did that. They don't react to dead colleges lying around bleeding at their feet if you did it ''silently'' and quickly. :lol: Lots of opportunities for exploits.

Last edited:

pippin

There are more anti radiation suits in Crescent Canyon (which is irradiated in parts and has green geckos roaming the place) and near Novac (it's impossible to miss, since you must travel to that spot during the ghouls quest). There might be more somewhere else, but those are the ones I remember right now. I think Ulysses' mask gives you lots of rad resistance but you're supposed to do LR during the last third of your playthrough so it could be already too late to do his quest, which is unmarked and requires you to meet certain people, some of them from the NCR.
The Govt ammo is probably the less common one, and I think you're talking about the Brush Gun. I prefer the Hunting weapons myself but Brush Gun is quite good as well. Check the wiki if you need more info about it http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/.45-70_Gov't

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The problem is that i can't find any ''cases'' for .50 or 45/70govt amo so i can't craft shit. And i already have 100 repair. Wtf? Are those things level scaled? Buying ammo of that tire is incredibly expensive and there's like 50 round or so per3 days at gunrunners it seams. Maybe i bought Antimaterial and that other rifle (forgot it's name - it shoots the gov't ammo) too soon. Even good ol' Cowboy repeater still does the job with most humans, though. Also riot shotgun is the thing against deathclaws in VATS.

You can buy loads of ammo from the NCR quartermaster in Hoover Dam. Then you can break that ammo to get cases and make better ammo, like match rounds. It can be expensive, yeah, but if you're just level 17, you probably don't need .50 or 45/70govt ammo yet. Besides, isn't NV, like many other RPGs, usually criticized about broken economy where it's too easy to afford everything? You probably have no trouble with money later in the game.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
There are more anti radiation suits in Crescent Canyon (which is irradiated in parts and has green geckos roaming the place) and near Novac (it's impossible to miss, since you must travel to that spot during the ghouls quest).

There might be more somewhere else, but those are the ones I remember right now. I think Ulysses' mask gives you lots of rad resistance but you're supposed to do LR during the last third of your playthrough so it could be already too late to do his quest, which is unmarked and requires you to meet certain people, some of them from the NCR.
The Govt ammo is probably the less common one, and I think you're talking about the Brush Gun. I prefer the Hunting weapons myself but Brush Gun is quite good as well. Check the wiki if you need more info about it http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/.45-70_Gov't
I got that funny astronaut costume from space traveling ghouls, yes. I think there were even two, but i sold them as soon as i got better DT armor and because they look damn silly. Fool of a man i was. Radx doesn't do shit in areas that has -9 or more radiation and it doesn't accumulates if taken several at once.

(btw, i'm playing WITHOUT DLCS)

I went all through the crescent Canyon and didn't find one damn useful thing. It was Golden Geckos for me, but that's probably level scaled. I was rushing through it, because radiation rose like mushrooms after rain. There were some wrecks of cars and buses and only thing i found there was some box of random ammo, i think. Should i go back and check that place once more?
I can deal with short sprints through heavily radiated areas, because it only costs 100 caps to remove it afterwards, but careful exploration of these areas for me is out of question at this point. I almost died in Vault 34 just to get to that sweet armory.

Yes, i'm talking about Brush Gun. For some reason it does incredible damage even to deathclaws and i believe it's because of ammo, although i don't like it's reloading time. It's like with those shotguns, where you put shell by shell through the side one by one. If deathclaw get's too close, ur still dead. It's stats are not that brilliant. Hunting revolver also uses that ammo and it's also very powerful, albeit slow.

Hushed sniper rifle seems to be the bred and butter gun still, though. When used from high vantage point and with ''fast shot'' which i have, it performs most consistently.

You can buy loads of ammo from the NCR quartermaster in Hoover Dam. Then you can break that ammo to get cases and make better ammo, like match rounds. It can be expensive, yeah, but if you're just level 17, you probably don't need .50 or 45/70govt ammo yet. Besides, isn't NV, like many other RPGs, usually criticized about broken economy where it's too easy to afford everything? You probably have no trouble with money later in the game.
Yeah, i thought about the bolded part too. I've barely explored maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of the world and haven't met anything really scary, but deathclaws. Legion assassins were quite a pain in the ass at one point, but that didn't last long. I got to Vegas probably faster than most players do and there was that ''pax romana'' tablet i got immediately after fucking Benny in the ass.

And yes, i'm probably aiming at high end guns too early. They are available, but honestly, using them against humans seems like beating of toddlers. Only deatclaws scare my ass. And probably nightkin if i meet them more (only fought them in the glowing ghouls cosmodrome). Cazadors are fast, but also die fast, so not that much of a problem.

Didn't see quartermaster in Dam selling high end stuff.

And yes, they did the right thing with economy. The development curve of both being viable for better guns and having moneys to spend on them has don really well in this game imo. S was in awe when because awesome repairing skills i could use 9mm submachine gun right away, instead of crappy 9mm pistol. I was at the start of beautiful journey.
Maybe that's the reason why i shouldn't have aimed at the ''anti-everything'' gun right away. Not even enough foes to fuck with this demonic weapon (especially incinerating slugs).
I was si happy to get my first proper rifle at Fort Mojave, that crappy one shot ''soldier rifle'' or smth.:)

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
A bit of a side note. I'm really starting to appreciate this game. My first posts were about bleak dialogues and meh quests, but going deeper and deeper into main story i really see that there has a lot of love and shit loads of work put in this gem. I didn't realize the humongous scope of the whole project and thought it was nice fallout with guns. But the further the rabbit hole goes the better it gets. I can forgive somewhat uninspired mini/side quests of copious locations that there is (and there are really whole lot), but tonight i took liberty, for shit and giggles, ''resolve'' the ''House always wins'' quest in various ways, reading all the House's monologues, and they were fucking awesome. Also the way it would resolve the further trajectory of my dealings.

I realized that writing is just as it should be for the bleak existence that fallout world should be. It's mostly to the point with quirks and cultural references being subtly intertwined in. And the amount, the fucking amount of quests and various mini choices is probably bigger than both original fallouts put together. And they are intertwined much more, not just relevant to current hub. Only thing lacking is too less avellone. Otherwise i'll probably consider this game the best in last 15 years fo sho.

ps. i'm high on beer now, so take this into account.

The fallout wiki has all the locations where you can obtain .45-70 govt ammo. As someone mentioned you can get a boatload from the NCR quartermaster, but it's a one time deal and you have to advance certain questlines for that, which I didn't want to do. So here's what I did to get all the .45-70 ammo I wanted for my beautiful Ranger Sequioa. Look up the locations that sell them on the wiki, find several (like for example, the gun runners, the merchant under the crossroads, and inside one of the caravan compounds). Those 3 are close to each other too. So just run from one to the other or use the fast travel option. In one run where you visit each of them, you can obtain a lot of this ammo. Then go quest/explore for a bit, then do such a run again once enough time has passed. After a few runs, you'll have more ammo than you can use. Especially since the custom hand-loaded version of .45-70(which you can craft from the one you buy) should one shot kill pretty much anything with a few exceptions, from either the brush gun or the sequioa.

A bit of a side note. I'm really starting to appreciate this game. My first posts were about bleak dialogues and meh quests, but going deeper and deeper into main story i really see that there has a lot of love and shit loads of work put in this gem. I didn't realize the humongous scope of the whole project and thought it was nice fallout with guns. But the further the rabbit hole goes the better it gets. I can forgive somewhat uninspired mini/side quests of copious locations that there is (and there are really whole lot), but tonight i took liberty, for shit and giggles, ''resolve'' the ''House always wins'' quest in various ways, reading all the House's monologues, and they were fucking awesome. Also the way it would resolve the further trajectory of my dealings.

I realized that writing is just as it should be for the bleak existence that fallout world should be. It's mostly to the point with quirks and cultural references being subtly intertwined in. And the amount, the fucking amount of quests and various mini choices is probably bigger than both original fallouts put together. And they are intertwined much more, not just relevant to current hub. Only thing lacking is too less avellone. Otherwise i'll probably consider this game the best in last 15 years fo sho.

I also really enjoyed the writing in New Vegas. It's not flashy writing with exquisite twists or great surprises necessarily, but just gives a great, realistic picture of the world. The expanding and increasingly bureaucratic NCR, the Heart of Darkness-like Caesar and everybody else caught in between. Really good stuff.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Ok, i will follow your advice.

Btw, i noticed that after accepting the truce with Ceaser, the legion fraction disappeared entirely from the list of fractions/reputations, but the random legion patrols are by default hostile still. Is it because of the Boon (or his NCR beret rather) or they keep being hostile regardless, but when i get to Cottonwell Cowe, the residents wont attack me?

Btw, has anyone ever invested in ''survival'' skill? Seem pretty useless given how you can find stimpacks and buffs everywhere. Are any of the stews or other stuff you can create with it worth it?

Last edited:

pippin

Survival is way more useful in hardcore mode since it allows you to make your own food and beverages. Even nuka colas and sunset sarsaparillas. Also with JSawyer's mod installed, you can't make normal simpaks, but "homemade" stimpaks which have the same effects of a normal healing powder.
Factions not showing in the reputation screen might be due to a bug which happens when you wear faction armor. It also seems that Cottonwood legionaires aren't immediately hostile to you.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ok, i will follow your advice.

Btw, i noticed that after accepting the truce with Ceaser, the legion fraction disappeared entirely from the list of fractions/reputations, but the random legion patrols are by default hostile still. Is it because of the Boon (or his NCR beret rather) or they keep being hostile regardless, but when i get to Cottonwell Cowe, the residents wont attack me?

Btw, has anyone ever invested in ''survival'' skill? Seem pretty useless given how you can find stimpacks and buffs everywhere. Are any of the stews or other stuff you can create with it worth it?
Yeah, you can make some good stuff with it. Healing poultice is amongst the more useful things.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Apart from healing n stuff there isn't anything else? Like something that has no analogues in available world? Because doubtfully i'll ever play in hardcore mode. Fallout just isn't the game i want to experience as survival simulator.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Apart from healing n stuff there isn't anything else? Like something that has no analogues in available world? Because doubtfully i'll ever play in hardcore mode. Fallout just isn't the game i want to experience as survival simulator.
Not much of a survival sim, frankly. It just makes things a wee bit harder but you're not gonna be in shortage of supplies.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I get that. It's just the form of ''harder'' that i don't like in games like these. It's like if i needed to eat, shit, drink and sleep to survive in a Gothic game. Makes no sense to me given the general tone and gameplay of such games. It could work if the game was specially designed about survival in the post apocalyptic world. Like that one small indie game, forgot the name, where you can even use empty guns to bluff/intimidate people with melee weapons to stay the fuck off. But not in muh fallout plz.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

Fuck you, reinstalling now.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
But you DO need to eat, drink and sleep in a Gothic game, that's cheap healing dude.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
It only works at the very start, when you're weakling. Around lvl 10 you'd have to eat 70 loafs of bread to heal up.

pippin

Well, there's also the fact that ammo has weight and healing (both normal and anti rads) is done over time, not instantly. Doctor Bags don't do shit as well.
It ends up being cool because your hoarding is limited and most of the things you can drink or eat are radioactive. With this, Rads end up being the true challenge.

Drax

Arcane
I think that with high survival (and maybe a perk) you can craft some DRUGS! and, more importantly, fucking Heil Hydra.

Modron

Arcane
Btw, it's NV AIs are as hilarious as in gothic games. I annihilated whole of the powder gang base with .22 silenced pistol, without anyone noticing i did that. They don't react to dead colleges lying around bleeding at their feet if you did it ''silently'' and quickly. :lol: Lots of opportunities for exploits.

Wait until you get a scoped silenced rifle like ratslayer or a modded gobi sniper, you can kill things from far enough away in stealth mode no one notices so you can avoid reputation loss if you say want to clear legion people out of an area. Ratslayer was my go to weapon for the majority of the game, while it might do less damage than the later sniper rifles it had like a 5x headshot modifier to damage and could be repaired with hunting rifles (IIR that part correctly).

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Well, i did shot the powder gangers on top of the watch towers with regular silenced sniper rifle without any notice too. Maybe it's because as starting area mobs, they have really low HP. Heavily armored guys would probably alert others if i did it with it.

Anyhow, the AI in this game is hilariously retarded. I just found out that you can steal ANYTHING that lies in the open (e.g. not in drawers/closets) just by dragging the item out from their eyes using the Z button and pick it up there. Just cleaned out everything that was on the table in the energy weapons shop in Freeside without an incident. :lol:

Drax

Arcane
Anyhow, the AI in this game is hilariously retarded. I just found out that you can steal ANYTHING that lies in the open (e.g. not in drawers/closets) just by dragging the item out from their eyes using the Z button and pick it up there. Just cleaned out everything that was on the table in the energy weapons shop in Freeside without an incident. :lol:
For increased lulz, get a stealthboy and just clean the place on their faces while that black cunt talks with the jew faggy client.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Raul is probably the best companion in NV. Veronica's a close second but I think most people would prefer ED-E.
For all the story which was added to Cass, her perks post-companion mission seem to be quite lacking, although the booze one can be useful in dire situations.
Just ditched Boon and sent him to Lucky 38 to rest. Was kinda tired of his ''OOOOH MY'' thing. Recruited Cass to see what she's good for. By the wiki, she seem to be carbon copy of Boon with better perks. Especially after doing that mission of hers. Too bad Cass doesn't give the ''shotgun surgeon'' to protag too. That would make her world beater.

Also checked Raul to see why everyone pisses pants abut him. For the current build it seems that only useful perk is his science skill, because i'm master repairman myself and don't need the slower degradation perk. How does it work anyway? Does he hack into computers if i need it and am too bad for it myself (have 55 in science)?

Also, what about the Rex? I probably going to finish his healing quest just to check it out of ''to do'' list and keep the ED bot anyway (i reckon i can't have two none humanoids in party). What's your experience with Rex? What are his pros and cons when compared to ED?

Also - what's the point of letters in casinos and Forlorn hope troopers? Do i get something for collecting them all?

Also 2 - is it possible to see companion stats somewhere in Pipboy. I don't seem to find such option like it was in original fallouts. It annoys me to go to wiki just to learn what they are good for.

Last edited:

pippin

Companions won't do anything for you but I think Raul reaches perfection if you make him a vaquero. Check the wiki to know how to do it, because his personal quest is unmarked. Just like Lily, Raul is great because he's neutral, while most of the other companions will react to your allegiances. For instance, if you blow up the BoS bunker, Veronica will attack you without questioning, provided you never talked to her. Arcade and Boone won't like it if you join Caesar's Legion.
Rex indeed seems not that good in comparison to ED-E. But since ED-E and Veronica do the same thing then it's up to you how to build your team.
I think those letters are just flavor material. I think those are neat, though. Brings a bit of life into the game world.
I don't think you can check companion stats from inside the game, and even when you ask them about their skills their info can be a bit wrong (at least in the case of Cass). You can check the wiki or the editor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom