Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout New Turds - the final veredict.

I pick:

• It's glorious. GLORIOUS! (claps hands like a fag while voting this option).

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • It's a good game. Obsidian didn't disappoint. (melancholic rpg gamer)

• I've seen better. It's ok but it has its flaws. (faggot without an opinion)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It kinda sucks, but I still play it from time to time. (please find me something else to play!)

• It fucking sucks. Obshitian didn't disappoint, as usual. (average codexer)

• Slap Obshitian's logo on the box and all you fags swallow MCA's load even though it tastes just like

• Fuck this game I got lost in Goodsprings. (KC)

• Total voters
Movement speed does suck for this type of game, that's why I just used esp for faster running and forgot about it.

Marobug

Multidirectional said:
Tel Velothi said:
retarded npcs, hollywoodish stereotypes, boring, boring, stupid, stupid, more stupidity, fail engine, fail AI, fail gameplay, fail story, fail atmosphere, fail almost everything
I guess you're just not able to refute these arguments, because the game is shit. :smug:

"Retarded, boring boring, stupid stupid, fail fail, fart fart fart". Top-of-the-line arguments there, I'm guessing they'll remain unchallenged till the end of days.

:lol:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
Fallout/2, where you move perhaps 5s-1minute to anywhere
How the hell could you waste an entire minute traveling on the overland map in the old Fallouts?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I love RPGs for choice and consequence, well written dialogue and exploration. Fallout: New Vegas does all three amazingly well.

Thus it is glorious. GLORIOUS I SAY!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Well, traveling in this game if fucking boring for starters, as there's no way to increase your movement speed. No perks, no motorcycles or riding super mutants or whatever
Travel Light increases your running speed by 10% as long as you're wearing no or light armor. Sadly that's it.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Carrion said:
I think they really should've made agility affect your moving speed.

It does. So does your choice of weapon (rifles slow you down, miniguns, flamers etc. slow you down even more) and armor. Agreed that it still could be a bit faster though.

Surf Solar said:
Carrion said:

It does.

Really? I didn't manage to notice any difference myself. I know it says that on that S.P.E.C.I.A.L. machine in Doc's house, as well as Perception "affecting your accuracy", but it doesn't seem to actually work in game.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Jaesun said:
When a group finally mods New Vegas into the Fallout 2 Van Buren engine, it will be the 2nd best Fallout.

Fixed.

Why all the bitching about walking speeds? You only have to walk to a place once. After that you just click on the map. Or is that too Next-Gen and you all play with mods that remove fast travel?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Zarniwoop said:
Jaesun said:
When a group finally mods New Vegas into the Fallout 2 Van Buren engine, it will be the 2nd best Fallout.

Fixed.
Van Buren was an ugly 3D game with a horrid real time with pause/turn-based hybrid combat system that resulted in HP/AP bloat. Not fixed at all.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Technically Van Buren (Fallout 3) wasn't a game at all since it never came out. But it looked like the Infinity Engine, which graphically at least was pretty good. Way better than Fallout 2's ever was.

New Vegas is basically Van Buren's ideas, modified and put into the Oblivion Gaybryo engine.

Edit: Just to be clear, it did turn out GLORIOUS, but still not quite Fallout 1 and 2 level.

Wolfus

Arcane
Fallout New Vegas surprised me both positively and negatively.

Positively with choices and consequences, story, followers, fractions and wasteland.

Negatively with TONS of bugs. And I am not speaking about kazodors ;) Almost every quest is bugged and some of them are impossible to finish because of that.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Zarniwoop said:
Technically Van Buren (Fallout 3) wasn't a game at all since it never came out. But it looked like the Infinity Engine, which graphically at least was pretty good. Way better than Fallout 2's ever was.

New Vegas is basically Van Buren's ideas, modified and put into the Oblivion Gaybryo engine.
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/screensh ... ios_30.jpg

Graphically it looked terrible, nothing at all like the IE games. I don't know how anyone could say that looks better than Fallout's 2D graphics.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Zarniwoop said:
Why all the bitching about walking speeds? You only have to walk to a place once. After that you just click on the map. Or is that too Next-Gen and you all play with mods that remove fast travel?
I think it would've been great if an agile character could get around the wasteland faster, take shortcuts over the mountains and that sort of thing, besides the obvious advantages in combat due to being faster than others. But like the other attributes, agility really does nothing in the game except for slightly boosting some of your skills and giving you more AP to spend in V.A.T.S.

Zarniwoop said:

Fast travel doesn't help that much, all your movement is still snail slow. It's mind numbing to play. Besides teleportation to locations you have already visited should have been travel with caravan, or perhaps by train (you mean they build plasma guns but can't build a friggin' train?). The original Fallouts were faster, but since they were entirely different we can compare this to Morrowind, where you can travel by boat, silt strider, boots of blinding speed, mage guild teleports, that crazy leap scroll, by levitation, walking on water, breathing underwater, well the most important thing is that you have a speed stat you can develop and boost in various ways.

But the slow walk speed most importantly makes combat what it is. Hit them and stim. Hit & stim. Use of terrain = climb onto something so that melee enemies have to circle more. Maneuvering = walk backwards and drop mines onto which the enemies will walk, or perhaps in some places leap down so the enemies have to circle. There's nothing like sprint from cover to cover, nothing skill based in the combat in general and there's no excitement in the whole game at any stage.

It's just disappointing. Remember that Fallout Tactics had some working vehicles, and F2 and that both have flying ones? Then why don't the Bethsidian games have anything at all (but F:NV has unicycle robots, 'k). Perhaps they're so shit with tech they couldn't figure out how to do that? Whatever the reason, it doesn't make sense to me and what's worse it's boring in the gameplay sense. The general slow movement of the character doesn't have to do with that but I suppose it's a way of padding, makes that exploration last that much longer... I get irritated when I have to wait for no good reason, and as I don't want to spend the rest of my life with one mediocre game anyway, I detest padding. For me all of this overshadows whatever good there could be in F:NV, I just can't be bothered with this kind of mediocrity anymore, it's not like I haven't played enough games already.

Wolfus

Arcane
Andyman Messiah said:
Wolfus said:
Almost every quest is bugged and some of them are impossible to finish because of that.
No.

YES.
Read FNV quest-related topics at Fallout Wikia and you will see. For example NCR quest, where you are part of assault on Legion-occupied village (cannot remember name) is sometimes impossible to finish because when you return for reward, commander does not speak with you about reward. And that's not the only one... Also bug with Sharon's disappearing rifle can be dangerous.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Wolfus said:
Andyman Messiah said:
Wolfus said:
Almost every quest is bugged and some of them are impossible to finish because of that.
No.

YES.
Read FNV quest-related topics at Fallout Wikia and you will see. For example NCR quest, where you are part of assault on Legion-occupied village (cannot remember name) is sometimes impossible to finish because when you return for reward, commander does not speak with you about reward. And that's not the only one... Also bug with Sharon's disappearing rifle is funny dangerous.
Perhaps you intended to write "Two or so quests I read about are bugged and impossible to finish because of that."???

Wolfus

Arcane
Shannow said:
Perhaps you intended to write "Two or so quests I read about are bugged and impossible to finish because of that."???

"Almost every" is maybe exaggerated, but two or so??? Just read quest descriptions please. Too many quests are bugged. More than 50%, I am sure of it. Not all of them are bugged critically, but some minor bugs are very common.
And those bugs I wrote about are bugs I saw with my own eyes. Not just somebody's experience.

Multidirectional said:
Surf Solar said:
Carrion said:

It does.

Really? I didn't manage to notice any difference myself. I know it says that on that S.P.E.C.I.A.L. machine in Doc's house, as well as Perception "affecting your accuracy", but it doesn't seem to actually work in game.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=37372

I didn't see this mod around so I did it. When I played the vanilla game I started a character and choose stats based on in-game descriptions. I choose for example high perception and agility, thinking they will both increase my run speed and accuracy, but after I found out I was wrong. They didn't modify those things at all, also if written, and differently from Fallout and Fallout 2. I also discovered that Strength didn't alter *directly* melee/unarmed weapons damage, it just increased the skills, but this, again, is not how it worked and how it should work.

------------------------------------------------------
Stats corrections:
------------------------------------------------------

- Strength governs damage with all melee/unarmed weapons and throwing range/speed of all throwing weapons.
- Perception governs gun spread for guns/energy weapons and hit chance inside VATS for all weapons.
- Agility governs movement speed (run/walk speed) of the character and attack speed with all weapons.

All stats scores above 5 will exponentially increase those bonuses, stats scores lower than 5 will, in the same way, but reversed, exponentially decrease the same.

:thumbsup:

Shannow

Waster of Time
Wolfus said:
Shannow said:

"Almost every" is maybe exaggerated, but two or so??? Just read quest descriptions please. Too many quests are bugged. More than 50%, I am sure of it. Not all of them are bugged critically, but some minor bugs are very common.
And those bugs I wrote about are bugs I saw with my own eyes. Not just somebody's experience.
You wrote about "two or so". You suggested that you only knew of them by reading the wiki.
If you wish me to read something provide a quote that contains the essence of what you want to point out and/or a link in case if wish read more.
And it stands that Andyman's "No" was a completely correct response to your claim, your new claim (for which you again do not provide any evidence) does not change that.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Wolfus said:
Shannow said:

Have you used the patches? They eliminated all the quest bugs for me.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Fast travel doesn't help that much, all your movement is still snail slow. It's mind numbing to play. Besides teleportation to locations you have already visited should have been travel with caravan, or perhaps by train (you mean they build plasma guns but can't build a friggin' train?). The original Fallouts were faster, but since they were entirely different we can compare this to Morrowind, where you can travel by boat, silt strider, boots of blinding speed, mage guild teleports, that crazy leap scroll, by levitation, walking on water, breathing underwater, well the most important thing is that you have a speed stat you can develop and boost in various ways.

But the slow walk speed most importantly makes combat what it is. Hit them and stim. Hit & stim. Use of terrain = climb onto something so that melee enemies have to circle more. Maneuvering = walk backwards and drop mines onto which the enemies will walk, or perhaps in some places leap down so the enemies have to circle. There's nothing like sprint from cover to cover, nothing skill based in the combat in general and there's no excitement in the whole game at any stage.

It's just disappointing. Remember that Fallout Tactics had some working vehicles, and F2 and that both have flying ones? Then why don't the Bethsidian games have anything at all (but F:NV has unicycle robots, 'k). Perhaps they're so shit with tech they couldn't figure out how to do that? Whatever the reason, it doesn't make sense to me and what's worse it's boring in the gameplay sense. The general slow movement of the character doesn't have to do with that but I suppose it's a way of padding, makes that exploration last that much longer... I get irritated when I have to wait for no good reason, and as I don't want to spend the rest of my life with one mediocre game anyway, I detest padding. For me all of this overshadows whatever good there could be in F:NV, I just can't be bothered with this kind of mediocrity anymore, it's not like I haven't played enough games already.

O hai there Skyway. Did you actually play the game? Ever heard of a little something called the monorail? But yeah you're right. F:NV needs to be more like Gears of War. Needs more boxes to hide behind and QTE's :retarded:

The combat sucks yes, but no more so than in Oblivion. The only possible way they could make it worse is if it was a cover shooter.

2/10

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom