Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mech

Cipher
Graphics is now shit, what's left
Romances?
Writing, romances, and graphics. The only 3 things that make up video games.

Frozen

Arcane
Writing, romances, and graphics. The only 3 things that make up video games.

The only thing that made TES games was graphics.
Without up to date best graphics you start to wander what's the point of buying new version of hike simulator when it looks the same, feels the same, plays the same as the old one.
Boston? Who gives a shit. Wasteland will always look the same, original TES at least got that one going for themselves-environmental change in each new number.
Writing was never there and for romances we shall see.

Sjukob

Arcane
I am actually interested why people even play bethesda games .

The writting was acceptable in Morrowind and previous games , but you know what happened in following ones .
Graphics were never strong .
Choices are limited .
Combat system was never good .
Skills ? They are either too strong or don't work .

So what is left ? Atmosphere , modifications ?

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2

The writting was acceptable in Morrowind and previous games , but you know what happened in following ones .
Choices are limited .

Pure badassery

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
To say that Bethesda writing is somehow more egregious than trash romance novels is hyperbolic. They're basically all the same thing. It's all shitty fanfiction. Bethesda writes the Fallouts how they (very badly) interpreted the previous games. The Witcher's writing is just as crap.

Bethesda's stories have never been great. People hold Morrowind up as some crown jewel of Bethesda, never to be repeated again. That story was packed full of generic tropes that were adequately strung together, making it ok writing. Skyrim's writing was utter horse shit. Fallout 4's will be just as bad. However, to argue that Bethesda's writing prowess is some sort of unique awfulness is retarded.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I don't think Bethesda is uniquely awful in regards to writing. I just think their writing is on the scale of mediocrity right along the lines of young adult fantasy. Their entire Elder Scrolls setting is a joke. I feel bad for anyone that cares about their half ass attempts at maintaining consistent lore. I liked Morrowind well enough but it wasn't some unique snowflake in regards to writing either. It may have been better than the drivel we get now, so some look at it more fondly, but you only have to take a quick look at real cRPG's to find decent writing.

You might not care for the Witcher's writing but it is superior to the horribly low standards Bethesda adheres to. I can't believe this is even a debate. You can argue that it is hyperbolic to say Bethesda writing is worse than romance novels, but I think you are over estimating the effort it takes to shit out sub-par dialog with no C&C. I think pretty much 90% of the dialog in Fallout 3 is some of the stupidest shit seen in any AAA RPG this decade. I would rather read 10 trashy romance novels than sit through even 30 minutes of Fallout 3, Oblivion, or Skyrim.

Lemming42

Arcane

Choices are limited .

Exploration, loot hoarding, extreme moddability etc

They've had a formula that works for them since Morrowind. The abysmal writing and half-assed skill systems post-Morrowind don't really matter because they're all just window dressing for the sandbox, which they always do well in.

Sjukob

Arcane
I don't think Bethesda is uniquely awful in regards to writing. I just think their writing is on the scale of mediocrity right along the lines of young adult fantasy. Their entire Elder Scrolls setting is a joke. I feel bad for anyone that cares about their half ass attempts at maintaining consistent lore.
You know , there was a time when I decided to actually read TES lore . I opened the wiki and read . I went to the events of daggerfall and their ending , there was some sort of dragon break that results into multiple events happening at the same time , even if they are contradict to each other , the world devides into few , they exists independently and than they merge and everything that happened in those worlds happens in the merged one . This is so fucking stupid , why did they wrote this ? Because they were unable to decide which of the daggerfall endgings would be considered canon , so they made every one of them to happen .
Then there are soul worlds , deadra relams and other crap that allows them to bring any scary motherfucker ( even dead ones ) to mortal's realm . With this setting bethesda can do whatever they want , because there are no strict rules , I don't how this could be a good or interesting setting .

I am fucking tired of all that magic and stuff . It allows any idiot to write any kind of shit that will work because of "magic" . I want to see setting where magic would be a tool that requires skill and knowledge to use and not a magic wand that can solve anything . Please don't bother to give me examples of such magic , what I want to say is quite complicated and this topic is not the place to discuss it .

Lemming42

Arcane
I won't write an essay on why TES is an interesting setting, mainly because there's other posters who can do a much better job of it than me.

Briefly, though, it's the relationships between the races and factions, the history of the setting and the constant uncertainty about which version of history is actually true that makes TES lore interesting. It's also got plenty of bizarre psychedelic elements, particularly in Morrowind, which help lift it above other fantasy settings.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I won't go too deep into it since I don't want to derail things too much, but I will agree that some of their games have interesting settings. Morrowind sticks out in particular. It almost felt like an alien planet at times. I half expected ray guns to make an appearance at some point like in Might and Magic - the vibe was truly out of this world. Then came Oblivion with the cliche hell gates and Norse inspired Skyrim. Without mods their games would not be as popular.

Frozen

Arcane
Why people like TES games I understand.
Why would anyone want Fallout as a TES game is beyond me.
Since 2008

DeepOcean

Arcane
Guys, just to make you all feel better, I, out of curiosity, just decided to watch a recent "review" for Fallout 3 from a fellow Brazilian youtuber that has a ton of viewers. The review was the usual predictable shit that only youtube can provide you but I read some comments about the review and some guy gone like this "My God, I was surprised by the review after all those years, the nostalgia feeling is just too good." and another, more poetic: " a tear came streaming from my eye everytime I hear Fallout 3 intro, Fallout 3 saved my life." ... they said that on an unironic way. I can't wait when Fallout 4 is released and all those "Fallout 3 is my Citizen Kane, it saved my life." types come here to say how we are stupid with our outdated ways and how we can't enjoy nice things because we are too fascist and obviously we don't see the genius of Skyrim with guns.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Guys, just to make you all feel better, I, out of curiosity, just decided to watch a recent "review" for Fallout 3 from a fellow Brazilian youtuber that has a ton of viewers. The review was the usual predictable shit that only youtube can provide you but I read some comments about the review and some guy gone like this "My God, I was surprised by the review after all those years, the nostalgia feeling is just too good." and another, more poetic: " a tear came streaming from my eye everytime I hear Fallout 3 intro, Fallout 3 saved my life." ... they said that on an unironic way. I can't wait when Fallout 4 is released and all those "Fallout 3 is my Citizen Kane, it saved my life." types come here to say how we are stupid with our outdated ways and how we can't enjoy nice things because we are too fascist and obviously we don't see the genius of Skyrim with guns.
Reminder that Oblivion will be a decade old soon

Frozen

Arcane
:nocountryforshitposters:

You've never played a TES game, have you?

Unfortunately I have.
I have never finished any if that's what you were going for.
The most I went was with Oblivion heavily modded and it was the same boring shit as the rest of them.
Because its the same game. Always.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
People here mock me for everything. This is the codex and I am newfag. Such is life.

Bethesda's biggest mistake I think is they want to tell you a story. Obs did it right with New Vegas by giving you a story that told itself, that had it's own life outside of you. Or completely annihilate the preferred narrative of you so chose.

I mostly agree with you Toront. I can't agree that witcher writing is better. It's just as juvenile as any Bethesda writing, but adding in some edginess and tits. Hardly inspired stuff there.

Vanilla Fallout 4 will probably have some stupid shit that will make the game cringe worthy, but worth a playthrough. Mods will make the game good.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I mostly agree with you Toront. I can't agree that witcher writing is better. It's just as juvenile as any Bethesda writing, but adding in some edginess and tits. Hardly inspired stuff there.
I think the story of the Witcher 3 juvenile too (after Velen, the game dies storywise) but don't take away Fallout 3 merits, Fallout 3 presented us with Camp Lamplight and Harold tree, those are writing achievements that can't be denied.

Sjukob

Arcane
Briefly, though, it's the relationships between the races and factions, the history of the setting and the constant uncertainty about which version of history is actually true that makes TES lore interesting. It's also got plenty of bizarre psychedelic elements, particularly in Morrowind, which help lift it above other fantasy settings.
The races are banal . Altmers are best mages , redguards are best warriors , khajiit are best thieves , bosmers are best archers and imperials are masters of the conspiracy . Also there are typical vikings ( nords ) , arabs mixed with indians ( redguards ) , elves that lives in harmony with nature ( bosmers ), swamp lizards ( argonians ) , stuck up drows ( dunmers ) orcs ( no commetns here ) , so I don't see anything original about races , I mention it just to emphasize that races are banal . We've seen this approach in many RPGs before , where dwarfs are best smiths , elves are best archers and etc. There are some original ideas in TES , but they are too few .
Now , the relations you are talking about are a mystery to me . In every TES games I played there always was a "dominant" race that occupies majority of game's continent if not all of it . Nords in skyrim , imperials in oblivion , dunmers in morrowind , bretons in daggerfall . And there are no race communitis inside , even if there are they mean nothing and have no impact on anything . I also don't remember guilds or factions interacting with each other , may be they did in Morrowind , but I am not going to play that game to figure this out . PC's race doesn't add any interraction , well people might greet you differently , but that is all I can remember . So , relations ? I see only talk , people might be talking about races and factions , but relations come from interactions and there are none of them .

What did you want to say with this:
the history of the setting and the constant uncertainty about which version of history is actually true that makes TES lore interesting
I have no idea .

I don't like anything psychedelic , but I think Morrowind is just clusterfuck
1923.jpg
My-Telvanni-house.jpg

Lemming42

Arcane
The races are banal ...I see only talk , people might be talking about races and factions , but relations come from interactions and there are none of them .

Plenty of in-game books detail the historical interactions between the races and countries.

I have no idea .

If you talk to NPCs in TES games - Morrowind especially - you'll find that people sometimes have different things to say about the setting and the past depending on who you're talking to. The same goes for books, which often describe one event in completely different ways depending on who the author is. The general rule for TES games is that everything you read or hear is probably false and bias to some extent. A good example is the Pocket Guide to the Empire, First Edition, which offers a clearly bias, pro-Imperial and factually inaccurate description of Tamriel. There are handwritten annotations by an Elf who identifies him/herself as "YR", which contradict and address a lot of the errors in the Pocket Guide, except YR is probably just as bias. You can read the whole thing, complete with YR's annotations, here: http://www.imperial-library.info/content/pocket-guide-empire-and-its-environs-first-edition

The entire main plot of Morrowind is also focused around not really knowing what exactly took place in the past. It's not even really clear if the prophecy you're trying to fulfill is true or not, which is pretty emblematic of the tone of the setting as a whole.

If you don't like anything psychedelic then it makes sense that a large amount of the setting won't appeal to you.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
The races are banal . Altmers are best mages , redguards are best warriors , khajiit are best thieves , bosmers are best archers and imperials are masters of the conspiracy . Also there are typical vikings ( nords ) , arabs mixed with indians ( redguards ) , elves that lives in harmony with nature ( bosmers ), swamp lizards ( argonians ) , stuck up drows ( dunmers ) orcs ( no commetns here ) , so I don't see anything original about races , I mention it just to emphasize that races are banal . We've seen this approach in many RPGs before , where dwarfs are best smiths , elves are best archers and etc. There are some original ideas in TES , but they are too few .
Now , the relations you are talking about are a mystery to me . In every TES games I played there always was a "dominant" race that occupies majority of game's continent if not all of it . Nords in skyrim , imperials in oblivion , dunmers in morrowind , bretons in daggerfall . And there are no race communitis inside , even if there are they mean nothing and have no impact on anything . I also don't remember guilds or factions interacting with each other , may be they did in Morrowind , but I am not going to play that game to figure this out . PC's race doesn't add any interraction , well people might greet you differently , but that is all I can remember . So , relations ? I see only talk , people might be talking about races and factions , but relations come from interactions and there are none of them .

I have no idea .

1923.jpg
My-Telvanni-house.jpg

:hmmm:

On the one hand you talk about how TES does nothing new in terms of fantasy...... and then on the other hand you complain that Morrowind is too strange.......

Wat?

I mean I get that races and setting are different things, but they are still all parts of the same package.

Aoyagi

Scholar
The only thing TES (including Fallout 3 and probably 4) has going for it is dungeon crawling, exploration, or whatever you want to call it, plus arguably some nice environment art.

And hilariously bad writing, combat, and physics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom