Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind, looking back, is at best a 4/10 game.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
"Vivec looked on the King of Rape and said:

'How very beautiful you are, that you do not join us. '

And Molag Bal crushed the warrior-poet's feet, which were not invulnerable, and had legions cleave them off. Mighty fires from the Beginning Place were brought like nets to hold Vivec and he let them.

'I would prefer,' he said, 'some kind of ceremony if we are to be married.'

And the legions that took the feet were summoned again and ordered to begin a banquet. Pomegranates sprang from the badlands and tents were raised. A throng of Velothi mystics came, reading the passages of the severed feet on the ground and weeping until the scriptures were wet."

n'wah 2015 tryhards.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yes it was castrated in many ways and beginning its long march into F04 grim derpness and :popamole:ism but hey at least it was not :balance: ed. Yes Games should be made in a way you can brake it and they should not be balanced, safe and fair.

Morrowind, Twichers and Russian games weirdness and buginess (played Planet Alcatraz and it was like coders and writers were working on vodka) >>> than Games for gamining hatin' Hipsters like Pillows of Banality. Felt like the Sawyer hold my hand hole time patching every last morsel of fun exploits and gameness players could find... Like nerfing Ciphers. Thanks Mum! :argh: Also those 2015 nefags try too hard to be edgy and shit. +M

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Balance is a crucial part of making a game challenging. And, as Ex rightly points out (man that time out did him good), with no challenge you're just in it to E-LARP. Morrowind is great for exploration but trash at just about everything else.

Sjukob

Arcane
I think that everything that should have been said here , has already been said , but if you people are willing to continue discussion then let's do it , but I doubt that will be smart , this topic has already lost it's popularity and we should just allow it to vanish .

Morrowind is great for exploration but trash at just about everything else.
I have never found Morrowind to be interesting enough for exploration for me to ignore it's bad parts .

A modicum of challenge is needed for the game to be satisfying. It's very blueballing to have a ton of options to choose from only to realize you can just left click everything to death with that sword you found one hour into the game.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Is there a reverse term for powergaming? Because that's how you have to play Morrowind, trying really hard to delay that point where you have permaregen and just fly around everywhere and nobody has money to buy your soul gems

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Back to Morrowind , it didn't solve any of the problems that were in previous games , for example balance

I stopped reading there.
Are you for real? Morrowind is unbalanced as fuck

Usually when the word "balance" pops up in a critique of a single-player game I stop reading.
So you're just an ignorant retard/larper

I'm NOT a larper!

Anyway, larpers seem likely to fuss over balance because they don't like having to take themselves out of the game to get around balance issues.

Is there a reverse term for powergaming?

Gimping, I guess.

Funny thing, as I was googling "gimp" for the urbandictionary link, google suggested "skyrim gimped character". My last skyrim character is an unarmored swordsman who doesn't sneak or use poisons because that's disonorabru and invests in Speech to actually buy stuff instead of crafting everything. He also thinks it's weird to leave a pile of naked bodies wherever he goes so he doesn't loot dead bodies. He still destroyed everyone at the first bandit camp in Normal difficulty. I tuned it up to Expert and it was a little better but then the bandit chief killcammed me at 1/3 health.

Last edited:

Roid King

Educated
]

Problem is, Morrowind and Oblivion handles this poorly, with the god damn attribute multipliers. In most cases, you are forced to play inorganically in order to not waste multipliers upon leveling. I'm actually happy Skyrim got rid of this system, though getting rid of attributes altogether was hardly the right way to go. That seems to be Bethesda's MO - if something is broken, scrap it.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
if i had to rate the TES series i think it would be

arena: 5/10
daggerfall: 6/10
morrowind : 4/10
oblivion: 4.5/10
skyrim: idk never played/10

Cadmus

Arcane
]

Problem is, Morrowind and Oblivion handles this poorly, with the god damn attribute multipliers. In most cases, you are forced to play inorganically in order to not waste multipliers upon leveling. I'm actually happy Skyrim got rid of this system, though getting rid of attributes altogether was hardly the right way to go. That seems to be Bethesda's MO - if something is broken, scrap it.
You're not forced to do shit because you are basically overpowered in Morrowind since lvl1. I tried to play the game again a few months ago and pick the shittiest skills I could and not go for any of the treasures I knew of and I was still fucking overpowered.

Roid King

Educated
You're not forced to do shit because you are basically overpowered in Morrowind since lvl1. I tried to play the game again a few months ago and pick the shittiest skills I could and not go for any of the treasures I knew of and I was still fucking overpowered.

I was talking specifically about powergaming, which is nearly impossible to do in Morrowind if you want to roleplay in any meaningful fashion at the same time, because you have to keep a constant watch on the multipliers. If you're overpowered without powergaming is irrelevant. You become more overpowered if powergaming, so it's a real factor.

Kalon

Scholar
]
Problem is, Morrowind and Oblivion handles this poorly, with the god damn attribute multipliers. In most cases, you are forced to play inorganically in order to not waste multipliers upon leveling.
You can play without worrying about multipliers. I pity those pour souls who play Morrowind and try to get their precious x5 multipliers each time they level up. If you have rolled certain type of character, and you are playing accordingly to this character, then you'll get multipliers in the attributes that are relevant to this character.
So, if you rolled a Mage, you will get multipliers if INT and WIL, no worries about that. But you won't get multipliers in END. And that's normal, because you rolled a mage, not a tank. But that's why I see many LP of "mage" characters who yield a spear and train their spear skill each time they level up.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I think the fundamental problem with the attribute multiplier system is that it doesn't retain any memory of skill improvements after each level up. You receive the maximum x5 multiplier from 10 skill increases, and if you happened to increase skills related to one attribute more than 10 times since your last level up then those extra skill increases are forgotten and never have an effect on the attribute multiplier. More importantly, since you choose 3 attributes to increase each time you level up, the skill increases for the other attributes that you didn't select are always effectively lost as far as the attribute multipliers are concerned, regardless of how many you had. This encourages gaming the multiplier system --- although doing so makes Morrowind less fun in the long run as your character will become too overpowered. A simple way to fix the system would have been to have it remember the total number of skill increases related to each attribute but subtract the appropriate number each time you increase that attribute, so that a x5 multiplier would subtract 10, a x4 multipler would subtract 8, and so on, retaining any excess skill increases and all skill increases in non-selected attributes as a base to build on for the next level up. Of course, since Bethesda is Bethesda, they simply stripped attributes out of Skyrim entirely as part of their post-Morrowind quest to determine how far they can dumb-down their games before sales stop increasing (the answer is yet to be determined).

An alternative system that has a similar effect as my proposed fix is to have each attribute increase by 1 point per x number of increases in related skills. The existing attribute multiplier system where the maximum x5 multiplier has a threshold of 10 skill increases suggests 1 point per 2 skill increases, but since the existing system has a large amount of wasted skill increases this should probably be slowed to 1 point per 3 skill increases. I experimented with this in a playthrough last year, and it worked fairly well while eliminating the possibility of gaming the system.

MWaser

Arbiter
All this thread has taught me is that no matter what game we're currently talking about, every thread that is supposed to attract negative opinions about a game will attract all the haters and only a few of the fans/apologists, but as the negative opinions about most mainstream products are less common than positive opinions, the threads will equal out in the attack/defense ratio on any given game's worthiness.

Otherwise I don't see how else would the game which was in codex' top 10 RPGs be as shat upon as Skyrim or Fallout 3 in their respective threads.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom