Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 reviewed!

Stevee Wonder

Scholar
JarlFrank said:
Stevee Wonder said:
Seboss said:
I've yet to see anybody really excited about the game here.
But I've seen many people (like myself) stating that they will play the game for what it is and nobody was laughed at.

Now, if you're considering going on a crusade about how great Fallout 3 is going to be, prepare to take some heat in the process.

But why is that?

Why can people go on crusades about how terrible the game is going to be and not expect any flak.. but the minute you do the opposite you need to have a 7 page thesis in hand to justify it.

Isn't it obvious? When everyone else has the same opinion as you, you agree with him. That's why people who say Fallout 3 sucks don't get any flak here. Also, there are many obvious enough reasons why some people might not like Fallout 3.

So there is no denial to the herd mentality. The forumgoers of RPGCodex are just as much sheeple under a different banner. Anyone that dissents is drawn and quartered unless they go on trial and can prove their case.

As long as we are all in agreement that this is what the forum has devolved into then nothing more be said. You are no different and no better than the blind fanboys on ESF.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Stevee Wonder said:
WhiskeyWolf said:
Stevee Wonder said:
Why can people go on crusades about how terrible the game is going to be and not expect any flak.. but the minute you do the opposite you need to have a 7 page thesis in hand to justify it.
What?

Do you need smaller words?

It's a simple question. If I had made an alt account and my first post was "man I can't wait for this game, it looks pretty cool" people wouldn't even bat an eyelash. No justification needed. It's accepted as fact.

But if I say 'omg i cant believe beth did this to fallout, it looks so bad' then the reaction would be fierce and I would be banned.

ninja fix
TES?

As long as we are all in agreement that this is what the forum has devolved into then nothing more be said. You are no different and no better than the blind fanboys on ESF.
The difference here is that morons don't get banned.

Stevee Wonder

Scholar
Seboss said:
Stevee Wonder said:
Well, it's all a matter of expectations.
If you go on a pro-Fallout 3 crusade on a board populated by Bioshock fans, I'm pretty sure you'll get a lot of positive feedback.

From the Codexer standpoint, Fallout 3 does not bring anything new, fails at pretty much everything that makes a good RPG or roguelike and desecrate the Fallout setting.
Arguments like the graphics are good, the world is stuffed with cool things to shoot, etc don't really stand here.

But the Witcher brought nothing new and was a linear clickfest with tits. But hey, it's indie! They get it! They still made a shallow game but some clique decided they liked it so it doesn't need to withstand the scrutiny that other titles endure?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Stevee Wonder said:
But the Witcher brought nothing new and was a linear clickfest with tits. But hey, it's indie! They get it! They still made a shallow game but some clique decided they liked it so it doesn't need to withstand the scrutiny that other titles endure?

DU?

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Stevee Wonder said:
1st - it's not a clickfest
2nd - 8mils of $ isn't indie

Radisshu

Prophet
Stevee Wonder said:
JarlFrank said:
Stevee Wonder said:
Seboss said:
I've yet to see anybody really excited about the game here.
But I've seen many people (like myself) stating that they will play the game for what it is and nobody was laughed at.

Now, if you're considering going on a crusade about how great Fallout 3 is going to be, prepare to take some heat in the process.

But why is that?

Isn't it obvious? When everyone else has the same opinion as you, you agree with him. That's why people who say Fallout 3 sucks don't get any flak here. Also, there are many obvious enough reasons why some people might not like Fallout 3.

So there is no denial to the herd mentality. The forumgoers of RPGCodex are just as much sheeple under a different banner. Anyone that dissents is drawn and quartered unless they go on trial and can prove their case.

Of course there will always be a general hivemindishness at any forum, but you will - if you scratch the surface - find that the codex is more about substance than hype when compared to a gaming company's own community. That's not even strange, of course the people who mindlessly praise the company's own games shit is going to be encouraged at their own forum.

Durwyn

Prophet
Stevee Wonder said:
Someone should post 34 (or how many there actually were) reasons why FO3 will suck. They were rather good justification why most(but not all) of the people here think that FO3 sucks. I could write an essay why i think that it will suck, but it's a waste of time. The game speaks itself.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Stevee Wonder said:
A game with such a big budget as TW cannot be labeled as "indie", which would throw it in the same category with Spiderweb or Basilisk titles. As for your other statements concerning TW, I won't respond since they're pure trolling.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
St. Toxic said:
Vault Dweller said:
As for posting spoilers on ESF... It's pathetic. It's one thing to argue and present points, it's another to post the equivalent of "dumbledore died lol pwned!" all over their forums. You sure showed them. *rolls eyes.

Under normal circumstances you'd be the first in line to go at it. Feeling left out of the action?
I've led many crusades and I was there when the Interplay forums went down, but we were making points and arguments, not trolling like imbeciles. As someone else noted, it's a sad day when the ESF regulars look more mature than the Codex "next-generation" kids.

fizzelopeguss said:
Intelligent discussions = elite these days?

As for posting spoilers on ESF... It's pathetic. It's one thing to argue and present points, it's another to post the equivalent of "dumbledore died lol pwned!" all over their forums. You sure showed them. *rolls eyes.

Ohh look, another VD drive by to tell us how much we all suck.
Proud of the ESF raids?

WhiskeyWolf said:
Then let's start modding this site, the happiness will come back - seriously, why did you in the first place gave this place "say what you please" mentality?
I didn't. Saint Proverbius is the Codex founder, not me. However, there is a difference, like I said, between being able to post, defend, and support a very different opinion with arguments and posting anything you want just because you can.

In this day and age when almost everybody know how to use a computer you expect no dumbfuckery?
If it's not tolerated, there won't be any.

If you really think that Codex is declining then start modding the hell out of this place (yes, I know that you don't have any power now).
We had a discussion about it. Most remaining admins, including those who had nothing to do with the Codex like Shagnak, decided that the freedom to post lulz was more important.

That you and me can discuss normaly with each other whitout me getting banned because I have slightest different opinions.
You don't need a freedom to post anything to get that, do you?

The difference here is that morons don't get banned.
You think it's a good thing?

Radisshu

Prophet
Stevee Wonder said:
Seboss said:
Stevee Wonder said:
Well, it's all a matter of expectations.
If you go on a pro-Fallout 3 crusade on a board populated by Bioshock fans, I'm pretty sure you'll get a lot of positive feedback.

From the Codexer standpoint, Fallout 3 does not bring anything new, fails at pretty much everything that makes a good RPG or roguelike and desecrate the Fallout setting.
Arguments like the graphics are good, the world is stuffed with cool things to shoot, etc don't really stand here.

Some people like the Witcher here, some don't. I haven't even played it yet, though I think those who do like it do so because of its supposedly heavy focus on C&C.

Stevee Wonder

Scholar
WhiskeyWolf said:
Stevee Wonder said:
2nd - 8mils of $ isn't indie

Oh, sorry. The Witcher had a deep and engaging combat system that required precise timing and the ability to perform finishing moves with lots of blood. GREAT RPG!

Better?

Radisshu said:
Some people like the Witcher here, some don't. I haven't even played it yet, though I think those who do like it do so because of its supposedly heavy focus on C&C.

LOL choice?

What choice? you help some elves or you help some humans or you kill both. And you get a nice big flashing sign that tells you when you are making that 'choice'. It comes at the end of the game and changes nothing. No consequences. Sorry to spoil it for you.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Stevee Wonder said:
It's a simple question. If I had made an alt account and my first post was 'omg i cant believe beth did this to fallout, it looks so bad' people wouldn't even bat an eyelash. No justification needed. It's accepted as fact.

No, you would probably be flamed for trying too hard to appeal to the hivemind.

Stevee Wonder said:

Or hey, maybe because all the stuff 'why fo3 will suck' was said so many times before by the same people, it would be an utter waste of time to write them fifty times again, because most of the inhabitants of the forum already know why the particular person doesn't like what he sees?

Seboss

Liturgist
Stevee Wonder said:
The Witcher had its share of criticism. I don't think the hivemind stance on this game is better than 'good'.
I won't digress into an argument about the Witcher, but I certainly don't see it as "linear" or "shallow". Besides, the setting of the Witcher is pretty unique, compared to other fantasy games. I agree on the clickfest combat and the overabundance of sex though.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Stevee Wonder said:
Oh, sorry. The Witcher had a deep and engaging combat system that required precise timing and the ability to perform finishing moves with lots of blood. GREAT RPG!

Better?
And you wonder why people don't take you seriously?

Radisshu

Prophet
Stevee Wonder said:
Radisshu said:

LOL choice?

What choice? you help some elves or you help some humans or you kill both. And you get a nice big flashing sign that tells you when you are making that 'choice'. It comes at the end of the game and changes nothing. No consequences. Sorry to spoil it for you.

Like I said, I haven't even played the game, I just know that lots of people like it because of the consequences they claim your choices have. And this has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

Stevee Wonder

Scholar
Elwro said:
Stevee Wonder said:

Better?

You think I care if people here do?

I'm sorry that the response went over your head, but just the fact that 'its not a clickfest' was enough of a response to you only furthers my point.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Stevee Wonder said:
Elwro said:
Stevee Wonder said:

Better?

You care so little that you keep posting, and posting, and posting. To show how much you don't care. Awesome.

Stevee Wonder

Scholar
Lesifoere said:
Stevee Wonder said:
Elwro said:
Stevee Wonder said:

Better?

You care so little that you keep posting, and posting, and posting. To show how much you don't care. Awesome.

And you care so much that you keep responding to the posting. Awesome.

I love you guys!

Oh wait.. FALLOUT 3 SUX!

Can we be friends now?

St. Toxic

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
I've led many crusades and I was there when the Interplay forums went down, but we were making points and arguments, not trolling like imbeciles.

The weapons are decided based on the opponent. Can't always expect to break rock with sticks.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
You don't need a freedom to post anything to get that, do you?
You know what TES is right? - not only that place, I been to few places with butthurt admins, sometimes I think there favorite activites are "making your life hard".

Vault Dweller said:
You think it's a good thing?
Yes, because for some of them there is still hope.

(Me included, thanks you Codex for saving me)

DefJam101

Arcane
Stevee Wonder said:
Elwro said:
Stevee Wonder said:

Better?

Yes, actually. You didn't flame me when I responded with a realistic viewpoint, which leads me to believe that you are not trolling. You are actually trying to say something.

I'm sorry that the response went over your head, but just the fact that 'its not a clickfest' was enough of a response to you only furthers my point.

Okay then. Let's go back a bit and take a look at this.

You said:

But the Witcher brought nothing new and was a linear clickfest with tits. But hey, it's indie! They get it!

He said:

Saying "TW is a clickfest!" is in no way superior to saying "TW is not a clickfest!" merely because you spoke first. You got the response that you deserved based on what you said. If you don't go into detail, then no one else is under any obligation to show you that respect.

This is the kind of conniving forum-rhetorical bullshit that gets people banned on other forums. :?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom