Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 reviewed!

Radisshu

Prophet
Stevee Wonder said:
Radisshu said:
So you simply don't understand the concept of an educated opinion?

An educated opinion about video games? So you simply don't understand how ridiculous that notion is?

Not any more ridiculous than an educated opinion about literature, films or music. If I read a review of Fallout 3, for example, I think that the reviewer should at LEAST have played through the previous games and know something about what constitutes an RPG.

Otherwise you just get stupid shit, like when some reviewer stated that RPGs had been too much about dices and stats in his Mount & Blade review.

xuerebx

Erudite
Stevee Wonder said:
Lesifoere said:
Or the concept that some opinions are more informed than others.

And here we have the classic elitist attitude shining through in all its glory. *I* know more about Fallout. *I* get the say so on what makes a Fallout game great. *You* must think like me or you are just a sheeple to the media. Be a sheeple to me instead. I love hypocrisy.

Not speaking about Lesifoere, but I see that quite a lot. Bloody hate that idiocy.

Radisshu

Prophet
I'm not saying that an educated opinion must lead to the same conclusion as my own.

Dark Elf

Erudite
Stevee Wonder said:
It's a video game. It's something you play for a while and then shelve, maybe to replay later. Not every one of them has to make you cream your pants at the sheer awesomeness of it. It's made to entertain, that's it. End of story.

See, this is where our opinions diverge. Don't misunderstand me, I believe you're right on the ball when you say that the purpose of a game is to be entertaining, but I would like to go further than that and say that games have different expectations to them, and when it comes to the Fallout franchise it's not enough if the game is simply good. Fallout is one of those game series that should be aiming for a high level of quality. It's the same with books really, some authors produce dime novels, others classics.

elander_

Arbiter
Stevee Wonder said:
An educated opinion about video games? So you simply don't understand how ridiculous that notion is?

It's a video game. It's something you play for a while and then shelve, maybe to replay later. Not every one of them has to make you cream your pants at the sheer awesomeness of it. It's made to entertain, that's it. End of story.

If someone is entertained by a game then it did its job. You don't need an 'educated opinion' to enjoy some pixels on the screen.

Opps, sorry, i have mistaken you for a person who has something intelligent to say. There's a film from the Coens brothers on TV. Have to go.

Stevee Wonder

Scholar
elander_ said:
Stevee Wonder said:
You think these reviewers are playing the first game of their lives before putting pen to paper?

You think nobody here as ever played a crpg in their lives? Maybe Fallout 3 gameplay is the norm these days but it's crap compared to games like Fallout or Baldurs Gate and i don't even consider Fallout the best TB gameplay there is.

And you call that an INFORMED opinion?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
...which used to mean one thing - all well-presented and supported opinions are welcome. Not "every moron can post whatever the hell he wants and get away with it".
Then let's start modding this site, the happiness will come back - seriously, why did you in the first place gave this place "say what you please" mentality?

In this day and age when almost everybody know how to use a computer you expect no dumbfuckery? If you really think that Codex is declining then start modding the hell out of this place (yes, I know that you don't have any power now).

What exactly do you respect?
That you and me (you a game dev, this site founderand me, some gray person with no life) can discuss normaly with each other whitout me getting banned because I have slightest different opinions.

Intelligent discussions = elite these days?
Hmmm... did my post really sound this way? I meant serious discussions without a whole-thread of dumbfuckery and flaming.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Stevee Wonder said:
I don't give a fuck about Fallout 3. I am over it. It's dead to me. I still think it's despicable.

For someone who thinks it's despicable, you sure like to defend it a lot and say that the plot and bossfights are cool

St. Toxic

Arcane
Seboss said:
each time the Codex crosses the line like with this (moderately funny) Hines animation

The animation does not cross any lines, and is a certified product of DAC. :patriot:

Vault Dweller said:
As for posting spoilers on ESF... It's pathetic. It's one thing to argue and present points, it's another to post the equivalent of "dumbledore died lol pwned!" all over their forums. You sure showed them. *rolls eyes.

Under normal circumstances you'd be the first in line to go at it. Feeling left out of the action? *shake genetals*

When and if Wonderboy's post-count reaches 100, I'll deal with him for you, free of charge. B)

xuerebx

Erudite
Darth Roxor said:
Stevee Wonder said:
I don't give a fuck about Fallout 3. I am over it. It's dead to me. I still think it's despicable.

For someone who thinks it's despicable, you sure like to defend it a lot and say that the plot and bossfights are cool

Can't someone liked certain parts of a game, and dislike others?

I've got a pro and con list of FO3, features I like/love, and features which I dislike/hate.

Stevee Wonder

Scholar
Darth Roxor said:
[quote="Stevee Wonder]I don't give a fuck about Fallout 3. I am over it. It's dead to me. I still think it's despicable.

[/quote][/quote]

So you think it's okay for people to represent the Codex in the fashion that they have?

And someone can't think something may be pretty cool without being emotionally involved? I don't care if Fallout 3 fails or gets GOTY. I think some of it sounds pretty cool. I will probably play it and I will likely enjoy it. And you know what? If I don't that's okay. Really, it is.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Stevee Wonder said:
Lesifoere said:

And here we have the classic elitist attitude shining through in all its glory. *I* know more about Fallout. *I* get the say so on what makes a Fallout game great. *You* must think like me or you are just a sheeple to the media. Be a sheeple to me instead. I love hypocrisy.

Considering that I know nearly nothing about Fallout (having played neither of the originals), that'd be tricky. But to draw an analogy: there's this hugely popular book with sparkly vampires and emo teenage girls angsting about how they can't fuck each other. A fourteen-year-old girl who has barely read a book before picks this up and squeals about how amazing, how deep, how well-written it is. You will have to excuse me if I dismiss said girl's opinion as worthless.

elander_

Arbiter
DefJam101 said:
elander_ said:
If you don't think what everyone thinks without bothering to justify themselves is the best you are an elitist. It's quite simple logic.

Wait, what?

Ignore that. Quoted the wrong person by accident.

Stevee Wonder

Scholar
Lesifoere said:
Stevee Wonder said:
Lesifoere said:

Considering that I know nearly nothing about Fallout (having played neither of the originals), that'd be tricky. But to draw an analogy: there's this hugely popular book with sparkly vampires and emo teenage girls angsting about how they can't fuck each other. A fourteen-year-old girl who has barely read a book before picks this up and squeals about how amazing, how deep, how well-written it is. You will have to excuse me if I dismiss said girl's opinion as worthless.

And if you yourself have never read the same book then your opinion of her opinion is also worthless.

Informed opinion indeed.

cares

Novice
Stevee Wonder said:
Darth Roxor said:
[quote="Stevee Wonder]I don't give a fuck about Fallout 3. I am over it. It's dead to me. I still think it's despicable.

So you think it's okay for people to represent the Codex in the fashion that they have?

And someone can't think something may be pretty cool without being emotionally involved? I don't care if Fallout 3 fails or gets GOTY. I think some of it sounds pretty cool. I will probably play it and I will likely enjoy it. And you know what? If I don't that's okay. Really, it is.
[/quote][/quote][/quote]

you certainly changed your tune here with this 'will play game and enjoy it, or if not that's cool too' bullshit...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
xuerebx said:

That's not what I said. What I meant was, that he first says how he absolutely and totally doesn't care about fo3, because it sucks anyway and later he comes back with rants that people suck, because they hate the game?

Do you really think someone who would TOTALLY not care about the game would take the effort to spam 3-4 threads with Cleve-like arguments that pretty much come down to "I'm right, 'cause I'm right, sue me"?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Stevee Wonder said:
And if you yourself have never read the same book then your opinion of her opinion is also worthless.

Informed opinion indeed.

Wrong. I have read parts of the book, unfortunately.

But that's beside the point. Put this girl's opinion next to the critical analysis of someone who's much more well-read (if only well-versed in the genre enough to recognize all the cliched and tired tropes), and I'd value the latter over the former any time. Especially since the latter's likely to include quotes from the book to support why exactly the reader thinks it is irredeemable garbage. The equivalent of gameplay vids and screenshots, as it were.

Stevee Wonder

Scholar
cares said:
Stevee Wonder said:
Darth Roxor said:

you certainly changed your tune here with this 'will play game and enjoy it, or if not that's cool too' bullshit...
[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

That's called being indifferent. Not caring. Not giving a fuck.

Would you like another straw to grasp at? I got a whole box of them.

xuerebx

Erudite
Darth Roxor said:
xuerebx said:

That's not what I said. What I meant was, that he first says how he absolutely and totally doesn't care about fo3, because it sucks anyway and later he comes back with rants that people suck, because they hate the game?

I get you. I don't think anyone would change an opinion after reading a couple of threads anyway.

DefJam101

Arcane
Stevee Wonder said:
Lesifoere said:
Stevee Wonder said:
Lesifoere said:

Informed opinion indeed.

Not necessarily. If she didn't go into any detail about the book it could be fairly safe to assume that her opinion is worth jack shit. Even if you read the best book ever your opinion is worthless if you do nothing more than ejaculate on a word document and post it on Amazon. Also the fact that she has "barely read a book before" further weakens her opinion. It's not worthless, but it's not exactly a strong opinion either.

Of course, reading the book is the only way to form an opinion on the novel itself, but we aren't talking about the book, are we? The fact that the book might suck/be amazing doesn't necessarily change the value of her opinion.

Stevee Wonder

Scholar
DefJam101 said:
Stevee Wonder said:
Lesifoere said:
Stevee Wonder said:
Lesifoere said:

Informed opinion indeed.

Not necessarily. If she didn't go into any detail about the book it could be fairly safe to assume that her opinion is worth jack shit. Even if you read the best book ever your opinion is worthless if you do nothing more than ejaculate on a word document and post it on Amazon. Also the fact that she has "barely read a book before" further weakens her opinion. It's not worthless, but it's not exactly a strong opinion either.

Of course, reading the book is the only way to form an opinion on the novel itself, but we aren't talking about the book, are we? The fact that the book might suck/be amazing doesn't necessarily change the value of her opinion.

So instead of waiting to read the book we sit here and lament the fact that we don't like what someone else thought of the book, skip to the last page and then go all over the place and post it.

That makes a lot of sense.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stevee Wonder said:
DefJam101 said:
Stevee Wonder said:
Lesifoere said:
Stevee Wonder said:
Lesifoere said:

Informed opinion indeed.

So instead of waiting to read the book we sit here and lament the fact that we don't like what someone else thought of the book, skip to the last page and then go all over the place and post it.

That makes a lot of sense.

You know that we do already have plenty of information about Fallout 3, do you? Enough to form a more or less informed opinion. Enough to form an opinion about the combat system. About the graphics and animations. About the general setting and story. And about absolutely retarded shit like Megaton, a city built in the crater of an unexploded nuclear bomb.

That's quite different from skipping to the last page and then complaining about the whole book.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom