Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News David Gaider Complains about "Increasingly Toxic" Fan Feedback

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mike Laidlaw backed Wasteland 2 so I'm afraid your conspiracy theory is flawed. :)

Flawed? Not necessarily. Maybe Laidlaw is just not as savvy as Gaider in knowing what he shouldn't be seen doing to get ahead at EA. I'm not saying they received an actual order from their bosses not to pledge to Wasteland 2. I'm saying Brian's anti-publisher rhetoric could be a valid reason for an EA employee to avoid pledging to his Kickstarter.

Anyway, what else has Laid-low backed? Provide source links if you can. For Gaider too.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Flawed? Not necessarily. Maybe Laidlaw is just not as savvy as Gaider in knowing what he shouldn't be seen doing to get ahead at EA. I'm not saying they received an actual order from their bosses not to pledge to Wasteland 2. I'm saying Brian's anti-publisher rhetoric could be a valid reason for an EA employee to avoid pledging to his Kickstarter.

Anyway, what else has Laid-low backed? Provide source links if you can. For Gaider too.
Um, Gaider's just a lead writer. Laidlaw has been a lead designer on JE/console DA:O/DA2 and is the creative director of the DA series as a whole so he's been significantly ahead of Gaider for a while now. Besides, a) they could always choose not to use their full name when donating, essentially doing it anonymously b) I doubt EA people are really going to scour all those thousands of names looking for names of their employees. They're not me. :)
Laidlaw: http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/1218360440
Gaider: http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/184275024

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Um, Gaider's just a lead writer. Laidlaw has been a lead designer on JE/console DA:O/DA2 and is the creative director of the DA series as a whole so he's been significantly ahead of Gaider for a while now. Besides, a) they could always choose not to use their full name when donating, essentially doing it anonymously b) I doubt EA people are really going to scour all those thousands of names looking for names of their employees. They're not me. :)

It's the principle of the thing that matters, not one's chances of "getting caught". You'd understand this if you weren't autistic. :smug: Some people are more socially wary than others - more afraid to violate (their perception of) their environment's shared values.

However, I am willing to consider that Gaider may not have pledged because he dislikes the post-apocalyptic genre, or because he simply wasn't a fan of the original Wasteland. (Still he's an ass for not pledging to MCA's game.)

Thank you.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I think Gaider didn't pledge because he can't afford to pledge for more than 2 games a year. He probably only earns like 500$ for his flat+150$ for food a month while Laidlaw gets a real income like an adult person with a day job.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I think Gaider didn't pledge because he can't afford to pledge for more than 2 games a year. He probably only earns like 500$ for his flat+150$ for food a month while Laidlaw gets a real income like an adult person with a day job.

Yes, that's also a possibilty.

He does seem to be less Emotionally Engaged with Kickstarter across the board. Look at all those projects Laidlaw is backing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's the principle of the thing that matters, not one's chances of "getting caught". You'd understand this if you weren't autistic. :smug: Some people are more socially wary than others - more afraid to violate (their perception of) their environment's shared values.
I don't have autism. :mad: A lot of developers who work for big publishers donated to Wasteland 2. It's not a big deal.

However, I am willing to consider that Gaider may not have pledged because he dislikes the post-apocalyptic genre, or because he simply wasn't a fan of the original Wasteland. (Still he's an ass for not pledging to MCA's game.)
Well it's not MCA's game, he's just working on a section of it. And would you call Avellone and Sawyer asses because they didn't donate to Dead State?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
And would you call Avellone and Sawyer asses because they didn't donate to Dead State?

Possibly. I did get the impression that the Mitsodas had something of a "burnt bridges" problem.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

DraQ

Arcane
1358226921594gju3j.png
Let_the_butthurt_flow_through_you.jpg

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Jaesun, give us your honest opinion on all of this, if you wouldn't mind. If you were in charge at BioWare, would you approve of all the same-sex hullabaloo that they have been concentrating on? What do you think of their decision to make this so-called "gay planet" in ToR?

I suspect you think most of it's ridiculous, but I'd sincerely appreciate seeing your take on all of this.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
When I was still playing the KotOR series, I wasn't expecting them to sacrifice all those elements (gameplay, character customization) in favor of some heavy-handed story approach or romances. Somehow romances and 'storyfag' ideas had not completely overtaken their fanbase yet. Now all there is on their forums is "moar romance" or "I want to see my LI cheating on me" and "I want polygamy in the next game" threads. I can't blame people for wanting romances completely eliminated from games.

I can't believe I actually used to like this company. :(

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
It could be kind of majestic if they create a romance NPC of the chaste innocent variety that appeals to the most insecure of 13 year olds. Then after a good 10 hours of gametime, have a big reveal that she/he's been boning with everybody on the side because you're so lame.

Murk

Arcane
Damn! Now I feel defiled. Fool me once, shame on you.

I may be wrong on it being Kotaku, but I recall Brother None saying one such site that often posts inflammatory/easily arguable stuff pays its authors by the # of hits. May have been Rock, Paper, Shotgun or some other outlet altogether. Perhaps he can re-illuminate us.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Damn! Now I feel defiled. Fool me once, shame on you.
I may be wrong on it being Kotaku, but I recall Brother None saying one such site that often posts inflammatory/easily arguable stuff pays its authors by the # of hits. May have been Rock, Paper, Shotgun or some other outlet altogether. Perhaps he can re-illuminate us.

Wouldn't surprise me if that's so, I know sportsblogs sites that work that way, but I don't recall making that claim. I may have heard of some site doing such, yeah, it's not an uncommon system. Doubt RPS does it.

grotsnik

Arcane
Well, apparently,

Kotaku journalist said:
There seems to be an assumption that hits have something to do with my salary. They do not. I am not paid based on traffic. We have goals and bonuses based on traffic, but I get a normal paycheck just like I would with any other job.

waywardOne

Arcane
Um, Gaider's just a lead writer.
No, and you're being disingenuous to try to minimize Gaider's power and influence. As far back as BG2, he was one of four "core design" guys (along with Knowles, Kristjanson, and Winski) directly under Ohlen and Martens. Gaider's not just some dude in charge of dialogs as you would pretend. Bioware's descent into pulp romance schlock can be squarely pinned on Davyd.

/rational

You're such a practiced agendacunt, I figured your misinformation tactics would be more subtle. Feel free to ignore this ad hominem, I just felt like expressing my disgust and disdain for your type but didn't want to give you an easy distraction away from the actual point.

Murk

Arcane
Wouldn't surprise me if that's so, I know sportsblogs sites that work that way, but I don't recall making that claim. I may have heard of some site doing such, yeah, it's not an uncommon system. Doubt RPS does it.

Damn, my memory may be betraying me. I need to start making note of such overtly-interesting tidbits. Sorry for causing any confusion.

Well, apparently,

Kotaku journalist said:
There seems to be an assumption that hits have something to do with my salary. They do not. I am not paid based on traffic. We have goals and bonuses based on traffic, but I get a normal paycheck just like I would with any other job.

Thank you sir -- tho the person claiming such there means in a less direct fashion (I believe). I think the guy is saying that causing controversy = hits, hits = popularity, popularity = more work because popular = more money.

In my case I believe I was flat out saying (remembering wrong, more like) you get +X neo-shekels per hit.

At least... I think. I may be wrong again.

Lately, I doubt everything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom