Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News David Gaider Complains about "Increasingly Toxic" Fan Feedback

Regdar

Arcane
I believe this is what you're looking for:

xJT7I.jpg

Gord

Arcane
Some people seriously need to get a girl-/boyfriend, see a hooker, buy a dildo/fleshlight, whatever helps them to get a grip on reality.

On second thought, strong medication might be better in some cases...

deuxhero

Arcane
cheesquee.jpg

If the game allowed you to summarily execute any character upon meeting Merrill should be the first to get the headsman's axe. Isabella and Anders are more annoying but none of them are more dangerous through the force of sheer stupidity than she is.

What gets me laughing here is how the quoted poster mentions "that heart-squeezy feeling you get when you see a basket of kittens or something" because it is what Mariko says to herself in Girlfriends when she is desperately trying to rationalize away her homolust for Akiko and stay in the closet (in fact, it's the only other instance of it I've seen).

Of course that was better written than any Bioware has ever put out.

edit: Actually with the user name and way it is written, I think the poster IS female and trying to cover for homolust.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I like how Gaider tutt-tutts the hardcore romance fanbase and romance complainers by saying that romance is not very important, etc.

Yet he fails to realise that the lack of thematic, plot relevance and variability/depth for romances is precisely why they encourage the fanatics. If your romances boil down to "click on love icon for sex", if they have no real thematic gear to grind, if they are tertiary to the actual story, why else are they there?

To emotionally engage the player and let them romance NPCs in an act of escapism. It's wish fulfillment fantasy and by standing by such a method, you only encourage Tali sweat analysis, Liara sex penetration, Thane licking or whatever fucking depravities that are on the BSN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9RC-84Wp0U&feature=youtu.be&t=3m52s

"We were able to take them in some wildly different directions. From virginal girl next door, to crazy up against the wall, let's have it on right here."

It would be wish fulfillment on a level that reduced the characters into romantic playthings— sex dolls, really. And I have no interest in creating that

Sure thing, Mr. G.

:roll:

Another aspect that may influence things is that the game itself is not very enjoyable to play, and this forces people to focus on other aspects like the story, compounded by BioWare's use of cinematics for every dialog interaction. At least, that's my theory. Because it's much the same now as it was back for BG 2, but BG 2 never had the same level of fanaticism and did not feel as cheap, either. Same goes for KotOR.

Yes Carth was a whiny little bitch, but romances didn't feel so degenerate in those games. Maybe it's just the writing, who knows.

Rake

Arcane
Actually, after reading the other Bio writers comments, my opinion for Gaider actually improved. He is the best of the lot, sad as that is

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's not that the gore is persistent. It is the whole ridiculous-looking style of the gore. Even if it just stays during combat, it looks completely retarded. Nobody would look like this even after slitting someone's throat and getting splattered by a fountain of blood.
When you turn off persistent gore, the blood doesn't splatter your character at all. "Blood effects during combat" refers to characters leaking blood when they get hit.

Regdar

Arcane
Actually, after reading the other Bio writers comments, my opinion for Gaider actually improved. He is the best of the lot, sad as that is

The other "writers" are fangirls whose primary interest in writing is homosexual smut. Gaider has hit a midlife crisis and has become disillusioned with his fanatic following and finally realized that this pocket plane called BSN where he is God cannot truly fulfill him. He wants an out, but taking it up the ass from above the chain of command has become too habitual. Ultimately, he's the one who got himself in this situation and he deserves no pity.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The other "writers" are fangirls whose primary interest in writing is homosexual smut. Gaider has hit a midlife crisis and has become disillusioned with his fanatic following and finally realized that this pocket plane called BSN where he is God cannot truly fulfill him. He wants an out, but taking it up the ass from above the chain of command has become too habitual. Ultimately, he's the one who got himself in this situation and he deserves no pity.

BTW, it may not just be a midlife crisis. I say he's looking at what his friends and colleagues at Obsidian and inXile are doing these days, and he feels jealous.

7 years ago, after what happened to Troika, Gaider thought he had chosen his career path wisely. But he who laughs last...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
BTW, it may not just be a midlife crisis. I say he's looking at what his friends and colleagues at Obsidian and inXile are doing these days, and he feels jealous.

7 years ago, after what happened to Troika, Gaider thought he had chosen his career path wisely. But he who laughs last...
Before he worked at Bioware, he was a hotel manager. A friend got him the job because he wrote a homebrew p&p system and was running a play-by-mail campaign. He's milked this gig for all its worth, including becoming a published author (of horrible books) but I doubt he has much interest in relocating to write games elsewhere.

He has mentioned on the Bio-forums and elsewhere that Obsidian takes a lot more risks than Bioware and he doesn't particularly enjoy playing modern RPGs but does so anyway for research purposes. He also donated to Shadowrun Returns and Project Eternity (but not Wasteland 2; probably rightfully suspicious) so I'm sure he's quite happy to have some RPGs coming out that he actually does want to play.

evdk I love taking advantage of Poe's Law but my opinions are legitimate, just heavily exaggerated sometimes.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
Perhaps he can still be redeemed. Finally realizing that romances have absorbed his fanbase could be a sign of improvement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom