Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chrono Trigger fanboys really are a different breed of cunt

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
mishima was a ridiculous figure who's failed at properly killing himself, all that posturing just to go out like an utter bitch
Oh maxie you nigger.

Ash

Arcane
Hate both :obviously:

He has a point though, CT fanboys are beyond clueless virgin geeks.

What was you had to say? "It's the penultimate JRPG, removed all the unnecessary stuff [removed the actual gameplay that engages the brain and has some respect for your time and intelligence, lol, only to leave you with time-wasting braindead combat] and is as refined as a Japanese blacksmith's Katana folds?"

You are precisely what he hates lol.

I don't hate you though buddy, I just think you're mediocre. You and most gamers. Is that a Blood avatar? Respect for that I guess.

Last edited:

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
What was you had to say? "It's the penultimate JRPG"
Naw, that was me on Lufia 2, of which yes, I'm a fanboy. And not penultimate, quintessential if I'm not mistaken. It has all the trappings and qualities of your typical jRPG.
I think CT was an entertaining romp, no more no less.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
game is honestly really easy.

"Game requires no skill to win."

*proceeds to explain non-intuitive skills and strategies to win.*

:nocountryforshitposters:

In any case, my wife certainly didn't over-grind at any point, and she was more patient with Drawing magic than I am. Drawing is insufficient, you really need to use Item refinement to beat the power curve (or if you're a chad, Card refinement). High level magics aren't available for draw until later, exploring is well worth it to find hidden draw points with rare magics. Growth can be optimized by unlocking high level GF abilities that provide permanent stat boosts on level up. When I play I always exploit Renzokuken spam via low HP, which is a bit of a risk and requires you know what you are doing; getting a disc 1 Lionheart sword is ultimate cheese but worth it at least once. Quistis's best limit break is fun since it breaks the damage cap though good luck getting that, Zell's are fun because they are hilarious. Selfie, Rinoa, and Irvine all suck though, and attempting to play any kind of straight mage is a trap. It's definitely a game where learning curve is required and playing it like a straightforward JRPG will get you into trouble, let alone like any other FF game.

Beans00

Augur
It may be one of the harder FFs.
Nah, she just fell for the level scaling trap. If you sit around and grind fights instead of drawing magic, you effectively get weaker and weaker. If you just press forward and keep grabbing the really obvious GFs, the game is honestly really easy.

There really aren't a lot of systems to master. Draw 100 of a high level magic > stick it in the slot it belongs. Win. There's no growth to optimize, no equipment to arrange, and no items worth exploring for. Items do absolutely retarded useless shit like unlock a limit break that is worse than the starting ones. Equipment is literally just a linear weapon upgrade that does nothing except a completely trivial boost to strength. FF8 is a game that has a lot of moving parts, but pretty much all of those parts are entirely for show and don't actually amount to anything at all. It's a game that wastes your time by pretending you should explore it, which is why I hate it most of all.
Since I apparently never get tired of hanging out with dummies (nah seriously I just love talking about vidja):

There are many ways to optimize growth and build the best party.

Drawing, yes. Though if you're drawing 100 every time you're playing wrong when there is refine abilities to take out the pointless grind.
Choosing the optimal learning ability path through each individual GF's upgrade tree. Some abilities, like Doom, should be forgone in favor of something like Status-Jx2.
Grinding high AP enemies (decline!).
Correct assignment of GF junctioning to characters to reduce overlap between GF abilities.
Obtaining optional GFs at the earliest available opportunity so you can benefit from them better. Attempting to use the magic lamp as soon as you get it results in a tough battle that no exploits apply to.
Customising your GF by erasing lesser abilities (e.g not every single GF needs draw/item/magic command) and teaching them new ones (ability x4)
Trying your best to assign the same GFs to the same characters throughout the length of the game to increase compatibility/affinity (summoning prep speed). Not really important or feasible enough to do unless you read a strategy guide/look up all the abilities prior as GF ability sets far overrule this. Still, it's fun trying without looking up any guide for cucks.
Playing triple triad to refine cards into high value items, which then are to be refined into other items, GF abilities or magic.

And much more!

Your dishonest description is perhaps adequate to get you far, maybe, but definitely not to beat optional super bosses for sure. Romhacks once again are required for all this to become truly compelling, but again, even vanilla this stuff was interesting to play with, and to some degree required to do the super bosses.

Grauken said:
People who can't enjoy Chrono Trigger are kind of dead inside. I pity you
People who can have no standards. The level of engagement and enjoyment I get from playing far superior games is almost euphoric. Peak entertainment. Arguably better than sex and extreme sports. Why would I want any less than that? Playing worthless braindead trash like CT makes me feel dead inside. I will lower my standards for stuff that is mildly engaging, but CT is not engaging at all. It's an exercise in tedium. The "gameplay" is a complete waste of time. The other elements have value, but gameplay makes up at least half the playtime (many hours). No thanks. I will retain my monocle sir.

If I really wanted a cute story, I'd just watch a cartoon, anime, read a children's book, watch disney movie or something. 30 MINS-1.5 HOURS OF MY TIME with no fluff, not endless walking down coridoors and retard-tier combat. the hell is wrong with you? Even as a kid I'd have filtered this trash out as zero substance.
Interestingly enough, DBZ (whose artists were involved with CT) is also retard-tier media that pales in comparison to numerous far superior animated media. Even myself as a kid could identify this. Some people never do. I was lucky and stumbled into the good shit I guess. It was an absolute privilege to grow up with unlimited access to the vast quantities of media I did.
Dude you literally put more effort into writing these sperg out essays then it takes to beat chrono trigger. It's an easy mode game for little kids. Like the jrpg version of kirby.

My thoughts on CT are pretty simple, I beat it on my ps1 when I was around 8 years old and never thought about it again. It's overrated but so is goldeneye and ocarina and ff7. I could cry about how much it's overrated, and Falksi does make a valid point about CT fanboys being annoying.

This is reality, if you think CT is bad by jrpg standards you probably never played BOF 1/2(snes) or 7th saga(or sea?)(snes)or legend of dragoon(ps1), just the first examples of jrpg's with pointless grind that came to mind. I'm sure there's more trash jrpg's or some weirdos like having random encounters every 2 steps will get triggered by this, I don't care about that.

If you like ff8 you're probably an incel like the main character squash is, daddy issues and mommy issues spending the whole game trying to kill your foster mother waa waa poor baby. Not to mention the game is baby easy with easy level scaling. There's exactly 1 optional boss that's any type of 'challenge' in the entire game. omega weapon or something I can't remember. Either way I kicked his ass within a few tries when I was like 7 or 8 or 9 or something. Because that's the targeted age group of these games.

The best squaresoft games are final fantasy tactics and maybe the ogre battle games(are they made by square?). Those games are based and greenpilled. They are about real digital worlds with real digital problems. Not waa waa oil bad or waa waa foster mommy bad propaganda.

The best JRPG is super mario rpg, I don't care about clowd/squash/zidan/crono/maxim/cecil/randal ect. Those are all incels with mental problems and I could not relate to them.

Mario is a family man along with his brother, they are successful business men. Unlike all these other dorks he 100% gets laid after he rescues princess toadstool, worst case scenario luigi gets laid and mario gets to watch. He also makes other friends along the way who don't have mental problems.

Machocruz

Arcane
All console game stans are like the CT worshippers, really. Completely nostalgia-driven, even Codex has nothing on them. The games they defend to the death stroked them off when their brains were still forming. They were imprinted by like chads and drug dealers imprint teenage thots. Involuntary emotional defense mechanisms kick in the moment you tell them the guy is no good for them critique their game. So it's waste of time to try to debate with good faith and reason. Like Jada, they never got over Tupac.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Suplexing a train is pretty epic. Mike Haggar would be envious.

at this point i think fighting trains is mandatory

CueR8PW.jpg

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
All console game stans are like the CT worshippers, really. Completely nostalgia-driven, even Codex has nothing on them. The games they defend to the death stroked them off when their brains were still forming. They were imprinted by like chads and drug dealers imprint teenage thots. Involuntary emotional defense mechanisms kick in the moment you tell them the guy is no good for them critique their game. So it's waste of time to try to debate with good faith and reason. Like Jada, they never got over Tupac.
you just hate nintendo because you were neglected as a child

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
I never finished Chrono Trigger, I had the SNES cart too which I sold to game stop or the company they bought (I tend to sell expensive games for cheap to buy shitty games). It felt a little too Final Fantasy. Earthbound was the right level of weird and trippy which hooked me.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
What are these facebook groups? About the only ones I follow are Malatra the living jungle and Ultima Drsgons….. well and the sexdoll industry because they will take over the world.

Does anyone have experience with the Lavos Awakening patch? Since I was playing Chrono Cross with a difficulty patch and enjoying it, despite most people hating the game, I thought I'd reconsider my opinion on Chrono Trigger, which I played more than 20 years ago with barely a memory of it remaining, other than that it was very easy. So far it seems very grindy with the patch, you HAVE to grind to survive the early forest section with Crono only. I hope it's just in the beginning.

One thing that CT does right compared to FF games is that here at least ATB makes sense, as opposed to being just a worse form of turn-based. Since enemies reposition continuously, you have the choice of attacking immediately or wasting some of your bar waiting for your enemy to position appropriately for one of your AoE attacks.

NwNgger

Educated
Finding the SNES classic legitimately is really difficult outside of PC and mobile options. The most recent console rerelease came in 2011 via the PlayStation Network, making it available for PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, and PlayStation Portable.

Quit yer bitching and play on an iPhone.
CHRONO TRIGGER (Upgrade Ver.)
I like playing it on an emulator with CD quality audio. Apparently it's even possible to play this version on a SNES if you have an Everdrive or something similar. The SNES was always capable of it. It just needed a CD drive to do it. Which it never got.

I like playing it on an emulator with CD quality audio. Apparently it's even possible to play this version on a SNES if you have an Everdrive or something similar. The SNES was always capable of it. It just needed a CD drive to do it. Which it never got.

This reminds me of those PS1 mods that put HD characters on 320x240 backgrounds.

NwNgger

Educated

This reminds me of those PS1 mods that put HD characters on 320x240 backgrounds.

There were so many sprite based games on PS1 with CD soundtracks. I don't see how this is a problem. Or are Suikoden 1 and 2, Dragon Quest 7, Grandia, and Xenogears bad games?

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Chrono Trigger was a turning point in the game industry. In the months leading up to Chrono Trigger's release, the gaming industry was in the midst of shuttering it's doors and giving up on computer based games entirely. Nobody thought a single release could halt the decline and champion the return to a golden age of gaming. Self described "old school gamers" were not ready for a new age of vidya prosperity and set out immediately to halt the game, and thus the battle for control over the future of vidya began.

turkishronin

Arcane

Ash

Arcane
Not quite true. It sold 2 million copies in Japan, which was on par with the likes of Dragon Quest and FF sales of the early 90s.

"Chrono Trigger was the second best-selling game of 1995 in Japan"

Japanese gamers are no more high standards than the west. Probably worse. Throw Dragonball Z paint on an absolute mind-numbing game and they'll eat it up.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Orchestral has too much range, too many details; it clashes with the basic nature of the graphics. It's just distracting.
I think it can work, but the real issue is that the orchestral version of a lot of great 16-bit music is just not very well done. It's not that it clashes with the graphics, it's just too many details period. The best music from that period was designed with it's limitations in mind, and adding a ton of subtle notes just makes it muddy. I listen to a LOT of music ripped from games, and the original versions are the best ones 9 times out of 10. When I find an exception, it's usually a cover from some random fan rather than the official orchestral version.

Falksi

Arcane
Orchestral has too much range, too many details; it clashes with the basic nature of the graphics. It's just distracting.
I think it can work, but the real issue is that the orchestral version of a lot of great 16-bit music is just not very well done. It's not that it clashes with the graphics, it's just too many details period. The best music from that period was designed with it's limitations in mind, and adding a ton of subtle notes just makes it muddy. I listen to a LOT of music ripped from games, and the original versions are the best ones 9 times out of 10. When I find an exception, it's usually a cover from some random fan rather than the official orchestral version.
Great point.

One of the reasons I love the Phantasy Star 4 soundtrack so much is because it's crisp and clear, with a focus on the basics. It sounds weaker on Youtube, but play this with headphones into the FM jack on original hardware and it's lush AF....

More space for the tracks give it a fuller feel IMO...

And behind the Circuit is just a bitchin' techno tune too, perfect for that Yammy soundchip...

And the same approach worked for the earlier games too...

Does anyone have experience with the Lavos Awakening patch? Since I was playing Chrono Cross with a difficulty patch and enjoying it, despite most people hating the game, I thought I'd reconsider my opinion on Chrono Trigger, which I played more than 20 years ago with barely a memory of it remaining, other than that it was very easy. So far it seems very grindy with the patch, you HAVE to grind to survive the early forest section with Crono only. I hope it's just in the beginning.

One thing that CT does right compared to FF games is that here at least ATB makes sense, as opposed to being just a worse form of turn-based. Since enemies reposition continuously, you have the choice of attacking immediately or wasting some of your bar waiting for your enemy to position appropriately for one of your AoE attacks.

I played a little bit more with Lavos Awakening and have now reached the End of Time. In the mod's favor, I never needed to grind again. Boss fights have been somewhat challenging and that has prevented the game from becoming boring. However, there seems to be only one viable strategy each time. There were also a few other fights where you basically will die if your party doesn't meet certain conditions and there's nothing else you can do in terms of strategy. Attrition is not very meaningful once you realize you just need to buy a ton of Tonics and these are usually cheap. So far, I haven't encountered any meaningful character customization.

Given the game's limitations, I think the mod does a good job. I won't say this is a bad game, just a very basic one. It's really carried by the excellent music and aesthetics. Babby's first RPG, which was already my impression when I played it +20 years ago. I only decided to replay it because, like I said in the previous post, I've been having a lot of fun with Chrono Cross, which a lot of people consider a failure. Now, if that's a failure, then maybe the first game is masterpiece after all. Maybe it just needed some more difficulty. At least now I know that fans are full of shit, which I guess ties neatly into the title of this thread.

Ash

Arcane
How's Chrono Cross? I have always been curious but feared zero substance gameplay like the first game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom