Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chrono Trigger fanboys really are a different breed of cunt

Latro

Arcane
top 3 snes rpgs are FF6, CT, and more recently, Earthbound. They’re the modern equivalent of AAA productions and most people familiar with JRPGs have at least heard of them. Earthbound became more relevant because of indies ripping it off after 2010.
Nope, Modron had it right with Lufia 2. That game had the full package: Compelling gameplay, story, characters, music, and artwork. It might not be as well known as those three, but it's hands down the king of that console.

That said, he also omitted the original Ogre Battle, which was the best game of the series. For shame!
I’m not recommending them as the best, I’m recommending them as “those game everyone knows and influenced games that came after”.

laclongquan

Arcane
Chronos Trigger is pretty good in gameplay aspect, but cant compare to Chronos Cross~
Trigger is holding its own in story and character, quest, versus Cross.
Cross beat Trigger like a redheaded stepchild on graphic and OST, though. Lots of time we just submerge into the awesome (PS1) graphic, and superb music and background sounds.

Fuck, Chronos Cross is an ideal candidate for HD upgrade on both graphics and sounds for new gen computer and/or PS4-5

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Cross beat Trigger like a redheaded stepchild on graphic and OST

Actual Chrono Cross music

What was mitsuda smoking for this game?

it-dance.gif

In any case, highly doubt any real remakes of Chrono Trigger will be made. The funny thing about CT is it qualifies as a 'cult classic,' because it never sold well. So the Codex really should like it, since low sales = not for casuals = good game, right?

The Decline

Arcane
Chrono Trigger is cozy. It's not the best at anything in particular, but it's above average and all the JRPG elements work well with each other. It's a good beginner JRPG and nice to replay once in a while.

The problem is the people who deify it. They are the same as the retards that deify the Zelda games.

laclongquan

Arcane
Chronos Trigger is pretty good in gameplay aspect
What in the actual fuck? OK, explain how. This will be fun.
The combo attack allow (and in the same time limit) combo of party members, make for unique experience for each group of players? Naturally, this encourage experiment because you never know if you miss one of those combo that you might like very much. This is gameplay.
AND obviously, combo of parties that fight the final battle at certain period during main quest will allow different unique endings. Chronos expand on this but Trigger does start it~
There's more but why not let Trigger fanboys tell it? I am a Cross guy.

Ash

Arcane
Chronos Trigger is pretty good in gameplay aspect
What in the actual fuck? OK, explain how. This will be fun.
The combo attack allow (and in the same time limit) combo of party members, make for unique experience for each group of players? Naturally, this encourage experiment because you never know if you miss one of those combo that you might like very much. This is gameplay.

Unique experience how? a unique animation, sure. Nothing matters though, the combat is braindead across the board.

AND obviously, combo of parties that fight the final battle at certain period during main quest will allow different unique endings. Chronos expand on this but Trigger does start it~

This is gameplay choices that have interesting storyfag results, not gameplay results. It's still gameplay sure, but it is merely one freaking battle in the entire 20 hours or whatever of playtime.
I am thoroughly impressed.

Worthy competitors, the actual games, present meaningful gameplay choices, with gameplay results, every fucking minute of playtime. Usually multi-layered (multiple elements of gameplay stacked and working in tandem, whereas the only gameplay in CT is dumb combat for the most part).

There's more but why not let Trigger fanboys tell it? I am a Cross guy.
There's nothing. It's a non-game. Standards be low.

Take the worst aspect of Final Fantasy 6 (at times tedious dumb combat, though we're talking approximately 40% of it, not all as in CT's case), remove absolutely all other forms of gameplay such as RPG character building, exploration/navigation challenge otherwise known as actual level design, frequent gameplay events during story, mini-games, non-linearity, interactivity with the environment, puzzles, you know, actual stuff that defines RPG gameplay, and then you have Chrono Trigger. If you want Final Fantasy that mostly only focuses on combat there's Final Fantasy tactics for combat that is actually engaging, and as a bonus that at least has adequate character building and party management too.

Last edited:

NoSoup4you

Learned
top 3 snes rpgs are FF6, CT, and more recently, Earthbound. They’re the modern equivalent of AAA productions and most people familiar with JRPGs have at least heard of them. Earthbound became more relevant because of indies ripping it off after 2010.
Nope, Modron had it right with Lufia 2. That game had the full package: Compelling gameplay, story, characters, music, and artwork. It might not be as well known as those three, but it's hands down the king of that console.

That said, he also omitted the original Ogre Battle, which was the best game of the series. For shame!
Lufia 2 is indeed awesome, but its commonly-cited best feature - the ancient cave - is just an entire roguelike. Basically, roguelikes are a better genre than JRPGs.

I have no idea how the writing would hold up, I haven't played Lufia in a decade or more... But I remember a lot of excuses to keep you from going to the next town. Also a lot of "idk, because destiny." Game was epic as a 10 year old though.

Ash

Arcane
I played Lufia 2 up to the fourth town/dungeon combo a few years back. The plot was extremely basic, the character building RPG systems mostly non-existent, mediocre art direction, and every time you move to a new area it just felt like a skin swap. Here we go again, another pointless bland town same as the last with boring plot motivation and theme establishment, to direct you to the next dungeon which is just around the corner. Now, the dungeons themselves were most definitely respectable: somewhat sizable mazes, puzzle elements galore, all the while surviving relatively challenging attrition combat (though the combat itself is somewhat uninteresting and tedious in terms of systems and mechanics). Now, it could just be I didn't give the game enough time to flourish. Also I was playing it during commutes without headphones so no music, which may be a grave mistake but judging by the rest of the games quality I doubt it, but as mentioned before I got tired of it quickly and mostly just saw it as a prototype Golden Sun, which does the EXACT same shit but with more interesting plot scene-by-scene, somewhat deeper RPG systems, much more interesting towns (e.g ransack peoples shit and hidden content often requiring puzzles or returning later with new magic) and beautiful aesthetics. And Golden Sun 2 branches out even further from the concept.

Granted, only played up to the fourth town -> dungeon combo. I could be way off. Some games need time to grow.

And yeah, if a half-baked roguelike dungeon at the end is the highlight, then I probably made the right call. Though I'd pick it any day over Chrono Trigger.

As for your roguelikes are better than JRPGs comment. Eh, depends if you play the correct ones or not. Maybe put down Chrono Trigger and look elsewhere. The legacy of Squaresoft compels you, a good 10 or so games they made was better than Chrono Trigger in every single way. It's wild some cite that shit as the best JRPG let alone Squaresoft game.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Lufia 2 has some goofy writing for sure, like the bandit duo, or Dekar (who I adore.) But it also includes the main character ditching his childhood friend to get married to a badass general, having the villains be defeated because one of their own number betrays them and dies in the process instead of doing some inane redeemption arc with no consequences, and ends with you and your wife dying for real to save a city from destruction, leaving your child to be an orphan. It's a story with real tragedies and sacrifices, instead of tropey nonsense where everyone lives happily ever after.

Nothing matters though, the combat is braindead across the board.
What exactly are you holding CT up against here? Because while yeah, the numbers are dialed such that the game is very easy, even for a blind playthrough by a child, it has some interesting boss mechanics most of the time, involving counter attacks, weak points, and so forth. It certainly has better bosses than the FF franchise, outside of perhaps 5, which had some crazy stuff. Final Fantasy's idea of a fancy boss is making it wipe the party if you don't win fast enough, or having it instantly die to a phoenix down. Chrono Trigger's idea of a normal, forgettable boss is a 2 part skeleton that has conflicting elemental weakness on each part to discourage focusing either down first or using AoE attacks, a death counter attack that drains all MP. It's not terribly difficult to win, but the effective strategy for doing so will vary depending on the party you're using due to their different access to types of magic.

Also I was playing it during commutes so no music, which may be a grave mistake

:prosper:

Ash

Arcane
Lufia 2 has some goofy writing for sure, like the bandit duo, or Dekar (who I adore.) But it also includes the main character ditching his childhood friend to get married to a badass general, having the villains be defeated because one of their own number betrays them and dies in the process instead of doing some inane redeemption arc with no consequences, and ends with you and your wife dying for real to save a city from destruction, leaving your child to be an orphan. It's a story with real tragedies and sacrifices, instead of tropey nonsense where everyone lives happily ever after.

My concern for the plot is secondary to gameplay. Since you have taken no issue with what I said in that regard, then I made the right call to abandon the game. Thanks for confirming.

What exactly are you holding CT up against here?
Every game featuring good combat or overall gameplay ever made?

Because while yeah, the numbers are dialed such that the game is very easy, even for a blind playthrough by a child, it has some interesting boss mechanics most of the time, involving counter attacks, weak points, and so forth.

Bullshit. the only time I recall being mildly entertained by a segment of gameplay in CT was the area involving something to do with moving barrels in a tower then the boss at the top requiring a particular equipment to get an edge over, if I remember correctly. It was the only time I was prompted with some challenge (even if in lame form) and the only time there was something resembling actual level design, not just linearity and empty set dressing.

But let's say I am wrong and somehow the bosses are all super engaging stuff (nah I am definitely not wrong) - bosses are like 4% of the game. It's a single water droplet in a lake ultimately.

It certainly has better bosses than the FF franchise, outside of perhaps 5, which had some crazy stuff. Final Fantasy's idea of a fancy boss is making it wipe the party if you don't win fast enough, or having it instantly die to a phoenix down. Chrono Trigger's idea of a normal, forgettable boss is a 2 part skeleton that has conflicting elemental weakness on each part to discourage focusing either down first or using AoE attacks, a death counter attack that drains all MP. It's not terribly difficult to win, but the effective strategy for doing so will vary depending on the party you're using due to their different access to types of magic.

Bullshit x2. FF has tons of interesting bosses, though to be fair a difficulty hack is required for some of them to thrive. But even your poor example of "just toss a phoenix down" is quite brilliant. Why would you ever toss a revive at an enemy? It takes experimentation and being clever to discover that. Or, cheating and looking it up, which would completely destroy the impact as it would looking up any dominant strategy. It's not a huge deal that once known it completely trivializes the fight on replays as it is merely one boss of what, 50? Worst case scenario grab hardtype romhack (FF7). It removes the option in the Gi Nattak fight and the resulting battle is brutal alongside player and enemy stat changes.

Anyways, that's just one boss in a FF game of many, and there's a wide variety of setups. Most importantly though, FF combat just has way more going on, and way more supporting gameplay (e.g it actually has character building) that makes it far less braindead, even if it too is at times easy. Lastly, FF always has at least a few optional hidden encounters throughout the game that are actually tough. CT has nothing.

In 90s FF any given battle, formation is important, opportunities to steal, opportunities to learn enemy skills, potential to optimize your growth with strategy (e.g always have level 1 limit break users finish off groups of enemies with strong multi-target magic and they'll learn faster), there's optional tough encounters, management of MP is important, there's tons more abilities to experiment and play with, target prioritization is often relevant, switching out abilities as you learn them or as the area encounters demand them, equipment is always varied and comes with strategy-relevant modifiers, and so on and on. CT is just a combat game and at that is painfully easy and utterly barebones.

When comparing the two, I am biased by FF hardtype romhacks which make everything combat-related far more relevant and enaging, but, even the vanilla combat is way better + when it is sucking balls CT style because too easy, there's tons of gameplay elsewhere between the combat that makes them qualify as actual games. More so than many RPGs, Japanese or otherwise, in fact. In CT you largely walk down linear hallways broken up by text and yet another mindless battle. It was a real struggle to get through the shitty game.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
Chrono Trigger's idea of a normal, forgettable boss is a 2 part skeleton that has conflicting elemental weakness on each part to discourage focusing either down first or using AoE attacks, a death counter attack that drains all MP. It's not terribly difficult to win, but the effective strategy for doing so will vary depending on the party you're using due to their different access to types of magic.
they still doing it in another eden. game is 6 years old and constantly updated, so of course early bosses are already powercrept by new characters like sesta

nM4ImLK.jpg

xL2a9EY.png

but there are lots of bosses you can't bruteforce. hp stoppers with nasty effects; twin bosses replacing each other on the battlefield at certain thresholds and doing combo attacks; kicking party members from frontline; boss going to sleep after losing his short hp bar and if you attack him when he sleeps he just stands up with full hp and can do it infinitely; boss plants seeds into your characters which boost your max hp and after any of your characters reach certain amount of max hp starts throwing nukes; boss specifically designed to counter your main time stopping ability, actually if you use it to kill him he just resets fight to the beginning for himself, including two full hp revives and fixed damage nukes on depleting his bar.(his second revive is 3500 fixed damage btw. now look at my frontline hp)

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Having played a lot of difficulty mods and randomizers, I can confidently say that 90's FF is not where it's at when it comes to interesting combat.

FF4 - There are some interesting gimmicks in the AI patterns of some bosses (particularly the lunar ones) but they're pretty much all rendered irrelevant by their locations. Enemies with magic immunity before you have access to magic, vulnerability to status effects you don't have access to, etc. A randomizer makes for some intersting gameplay here, but it needs to be heavily constrained because Cecil and Edge are brokenly overpowered. Also, the ATB system in this game is hilariously obtuse and counter intuitive.

FF5 - Probably the best candidate, as it has a ton of interesting bosses. Sadly, this is ruined by terrible class balance where 2/3rds of the jobs are objectively crap and several are so overpowered they could solo the entire game with a single party member. It's also probably the buggiest mess since FF1. RIP daggers.

FF6 - I literally can't even think of an interesting boss outside of Magimaster, which was only half of a gimmick stolen from FF5's Fork tower. Wrexsoul I suppose, or the tentacles? Christ these bosses don't even have elemental weaknesses most of the time, and if they did it wouldn't matter because Sabin's blitz is non elemental overpowered horseshit that trumps 90% of the cast. I think Chaddarnook had a form switching thing but it didn't matter because Sabin (and like 3 other people with similar ability to deal unblockable untyped massive damage for free.) I have a fuckton of nostalgia for this game I've beaten more than thrice but the combat was shit and you could replace pretty much any boss with any other, and use the exact same strategy to defeat all of them.

FF7 - Again, what memorable bosses even existed here, aside from Ruby and Emerald, which were straight up strategy guide bait? Did the Turks you kept running into have interesting gimmicks? I can't recall any and I played a FF7 difficulty mod up to disc 2 or so.

FF8 - Literally everything dies to summoning GFs over and over again. Christ I hate this game. In lieu of equipment you just unlock abilities to increase stats by attaching whichever magic makes the biggest number. Which is, again, totally pointless because summoning GFs not only kill everything, they make you invincible while doing so. I'm sure there's a boss or two that instagib them or something but I can't even recall which one it was because by then I had access to Aura which trivialized the entire game and was preferable due to not involving as many tedious animations. I'd actually be curious to see a difficulty mod for FF8 because the heavy lifting it'd need to do to fix the many, many, MANY broken systems would be impressive in and of itself even if the game was still crap afterwards.

Anything you could say about FF having interesting combat if only you crank up the difficulty would apply to CT as well even harder. Even minibosses in CT had cool gimmicks. Tossing a revive at an undead enemy is a cool gimmick the first time you encounter it. It's no uncommon at all.

All of this doesn't even come close to holding a candle to a game like SMT: Nocturne, which had both interesting combat and relevant difficulty. But that's a bar maybe one in twenty games can meet.

Ash

Arcane
FF has gimmicks with almost every boss. Not sure why you are pretending otherwise.

It's also absurd how your valuation of combat seems to boil down to only boss encounters, which is 4% of the games in question.

Anything you could say about FF having interesting combat if only you crank up the difficulty would apply to CT as well even harder.

Hey donut, that is not at all what I argued. Almost all my detailing of FF combat applies to vanilla, just with the important note that it becomes legitimately great stuff with romhacks.

It looks like this: 90s FF with Romhacks >> 90s FF vanilla >>>>> CT vanilla. With maybe one less decline pointer if modded.

if only you crank up the difficulty would apply to CT as well even harder.
In the weird mind of someone where combat is purely valued by the content of its bosses, not other things like RPG systems/character building, optional tougher encounters, strategy that is relevant even when slapping trash mobs etc, sure maybe it might have a chance, it's all the same shit regarding bosses anyway - your example two headed skeleton w/elemental opposition and a counter is the exact same gimmick or similar to what many FF bosses did.

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Liquid_Flame_(Final_Fantasy_V) (brutal boss)
https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Magic_Master_(Final_Fantasy_VI) (also a decent challenge, unlike garbage CT)
https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Schizo (this guy is identical to your super impressive skeleton fight, only with many more nuances. And once again, even vanilla he poses a moderate challenge)

Remember, Chrono Trigger IS Final Fantasy, even the same devs, just with almost everything stripped out of it to the point of absolute mindlessness and nothing added in return except ugly Dragon Ball Z art and lame end game storyfag C&C. Oh wait, but FF has sprinkles of storyfag C&C throughout the games entire length, in addition to plenty gameplay stuff during plot events.

FF5 - Probably the best candidate, as it has a ton of interesting bosses. Sadly, this is ruined by terrible class balance where 2/3rds of the jobs are objectively crap and several are so overpowered they could solo the entire game with a single party member. It's also probably the buggiest mess since FF1. RIP daggers.
I am not going to go too far into your nonsensical ramblings of each of the games here, but I will point out how full of shit you are just this one last time:

1. Every RPG has balance issues. Also FF5 is actually an RPG, unlike CT. Because it actually has RPG gameplay, not just retarded combat and walking down linear empty corridors.
2. finding the balance issues is a game in itself, plus you don't just start with all the classes and abilities unlocked. Therefore, a first playthrough is pretty fucking challenging, you're just pointing at what you found with extensive experience in hindsight and saying "nuh uh, see, dumb dumbz. CT is gud and stands up to the prestigious FF5!"
3. "Solo the game with a single party member". Firstly, even attempting that is fucking autistic as hell, and second if you were to it wouldn't be as impressive as you make it seem, as all xp of missing party members would go to that single character increasing levelling rate four-fold.
I will assume you are referring to s-shot. Yeah it is pretty damn OP but requires a fuckton of AP, is from one of the last classes you get, and you have to even stumble down that job route on a first playthrough to begin with. Also only like 4 classes are worthless, so yet more poor game design analysis from you.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
FF8 - Literally everything dies to summoning GFs over and over again. Christ I hate this game. In lieu of equipment you just unlock abilities to increase stats by attaching whichever magic makes the biggest number. Which is, again, totally pointless because summoning GFs not only kill everything, they make you invincible while doing so. I'm sure there's a boss or two that instagib them or something but I can't even recall which one it was because by then I had access to Aura which trivialized the entire game and was preferable due to not involving as many tedious animations. I'd actually be curious to see a difficulty mod for FF8 because the heavy lifting it'd need to do to fix the many, many, MANY broken systems would be impressive in and of itself even if the game was still crap afterwards.

I mean, you're not totally wrong here. the balance issues of FF8 exceed pretty much any RPG. Aura, simply leaving your party at low health, GF spam, it's a real problem. But again, many of the same nuances of other FF apply: There's 10x more complexity to combat, which is more interesting in itself than dead simple piss easy combat. The most fucked balance issues first require that you discover the abilities or figure out the issue in the first place. Even in the face of these absurd balance issues, there is still tough encounters typically optional and spread throughout the game in secret locations, in even pacing as if to satisfy people that want more difficulty than is offered baseline. And lastly, FF8 is, of course, not all about combat difficulty and has a lot of gameplay merit elsewhere. e.g Triple Triad is goated, and it actually has something resembling level design with multiple paths, interactivity with the environment, and puzzle elements. The lack of any level design is CT is its biggest sin. All the rest wouldn't be such an issue if it only had level design.

A ff8 difficulty hack exists, and it does help a great deal. Aura no longer gives you limit breaks. Attack power is significantly nerfed to make magic use actually relevant. Level scaling is effectively nullified by making bosses fixed levels. GF stats are nerfed and enemies buffed, meaning they get killed a shit ton more when you're trying to use them. It's good.

http://ngplus.net/InsaneDifficultyA...ml?/files/file/27-final-fantasy-viii-requiem/

turns the game from a highly flawed gem to a total gem...that still has some flaws, it is FF8 after all.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
I'm sure I just posted my comment in the CT thread and not as a new thread :lol: Well it's Sunday morning and I have my brew here as I chill, so let's aut-up on this.

Anyway, I've really grown to detest CT over recent years. As a kid I really enjoyed it; a wonderful and somewhat magical experience which I'd have probably had in my top 10 RPGs of the 90's back then, but it also felt somewhat dated to me in some ways too after playing other, better RPGs before it as well. And then I grew up, delved into deeper RPGs like Baldur's Gate 2, and when I tried to replay CT in the 00's it was just too easy and unengaging for me to bother finishing again. It felt flat, but I still thought it was OK for what it was.

Fast forward to 2017, my health takes a big hit and so - now limited activity wise - I drop my then-hobbies, sign up to the Codex, and decide to delve into some old games again. I always retro gamed anyway, but now with more home-time on my hands I was delving into them like a teen with more free time would.

CT let me down big time when I got to playing it. I'd also joined some other Facebook gaming + RPG forums and the hype this game had was incredible in some of them. It washed away the memories of me revisiting it in the 00's, and made me hope that the feelings I had playing it as a kid would be reignited. They weren't. As the likes of Ash rightly points out, anyone who has moved on from infant level gaming challenges will just get bored shitless at the frictionless, predictable combat which is plentiful in this game.

Throw in the fact that the dungeons are really straight-forward, the characters are incredibly lacking in development past their introduction and their end side-quests (Frog the exception, his story is fantastic), and the fact that the whole adventure really is for under 11's, and this game really is for me just a nice beginners RPG, and little more. It certainly wasn't for me anymore.

But the unholy, retarded fanbase which worships CT is one of the big reasons I've come to detest the game. Honestly, I swear 90% of them voted Biden. After my first replay of the game I discussed it with various JRPG fans like I have most other games which I revisited, but instead of discussing the games pros and cons like fans of most other gamers do I was simply met with a wall of "ShUt Up, It'S a FlaWleSS MasTerPiece!!". I thought I was missing something, so I replayed it yet again just to be sure...this time I actually hated the experience. The predictability of the set enemy placements and the wafter-thin challenge was even more annoying on the revisit, and it became painfully obvious just how infantile the game really was.

However, the obsessive CT fanbase just revealed itself to be more and more retarded with every point I put forward. The game is simply a beacon for child-minded people. I mean these cunts weren't even just disputing opinions, they were disputing hard facts and claiming the game did a load of thigs first which it factually didn't constantly.....

kvbydgs.png

And that's exactly what we have with the article posted. Another deluded CT fan who's probably only ever played a handful of RPGs in his life, yet is claiming that a niche 90's baby's first RPG is the greatest ever made, dismissing series such as Deus Ex, Fallout, Baldurs Gate, Final Fantasy, Persona, Phantasy Star, Souls, Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, etc. etc.....love or hate these series to genuinely claim that CT is "widely regarded" as a better RPG than all of the entries from all of those games and more is just blinkered fanboyism beyond belief. The majority of the fanbase is collective of THE worst types of people....fanatical retards with no objectivity, openness or intelligence.

Bold claim that eh? Well here's just a few examples of how blinkered they are:

XCyos4W.png

Uz9RPjY.png

kFTj9iZ.png

el7vH5v.png

And this is how obsessive they are about anyone saying anything remotely negative about their beloved game...

GBjqRRl.png

So there you have it. As a game I liked it as a kid, but I wouldn't ever touch it again now for enjoyment's sake. Having now played/replayed over 100 console RPGs from the 16-bit era since 2017, my top 5 JRPGs of that era would be Phantasy Star 4, Lufia 2, Lunar Eternal Blue, Final Fantasy 5, Shining Force 2.

But the sheer disrespect that the cunts who worship this game dump on other, far better games and series with their blinkered mindset is something which I feel compelled to call out every time I see it. It's more than just about gaming, it's about low-level people who drag everything good down to their shitty level through the spazmoid act of shouting their baseless claims as loud as possible constantly.

Chained Echoes & Sea Of Stars are two new 7/10-ish indie RPGs getting hyped & worshipped as "modern Masterpieces" now mostly because they're "modern day Chrono Triggers", and such modern devs are looking to this very mediocre game for inspiration. When in reality they should be playing far more prestigious RPGs instead. Chrono Trigger fans are pretty much the embodiment of the people and mindset responsible, not only for the decline in gaming, but also in society itself.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
I would have hated CT even if I played it as a kid. Almost everything back then was pure gameplay faggotry outside of some niche genres that I mostly kept away from (and even then, many were still somewhat respectable games), so I know for sure I would have hated it. I developed gameplay-centric tendencies very early on.

It's more than just about gaming, it's about low-level people who drag everything good down to their shitty level
This is precisely why I can't have good things anymore.

Last edited:

Radiane

Cipher
Chrono Trigger is basically like FF7, only thing it lacks to that game are some juicy animations (and regarding the lengthy summoning animations there, this isn't necessarily a bad thing), basically if you liked FF7 there is no objectively solid argument that you won't like Chrono Trigger

Hellraiser

Arcane
Earthbound is so fucking overrated. It deserves a niche/cult "kind of unique and thus good for what it is" status alongside something contemporary to it like E.V.O. search for Eden (a much better game design-wise all across the board) or Ecco the Dolphin (flawed in many ways, sure, but it makes up for it... well the SEGA CD version with checkpoints does since the cartridge release without them is too frustrating), or a status of "that game one liked a lot as a kid because they had few better options". Instead it gets 'muh Zelda levels of unwarranted fanboyism and sheepish praise. Eh, hipsters gonna hipster.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
they are not even annoying. mild stuff. wanna see annoying cult - ask potato about witcher.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
they are not even annoying. mild stuff. wanna see annoying cult - ask potato about witcher.
The Witcher enthusiasts have strong back, thick neck, long penis. They're genetically mogging every other fandom. Plain superior.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom