Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chrono Trigger fanboys really are a different breed of cunt

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
But the unholy, retarded fanbase which worships CT is one of the big reasons I've come to detest the game.
Unrelated to the game, then?

D1EEAU6.png
ironic that he got so many replies from braindeads who bandwagon to be put in le screenshot

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Also I was playing it during commutes without headphones so no music
Why even bother? The OST is one of the highlights that ties the whole thing together. Also Lufia 2 is a character driven storyfag game, no ways around it, which is fine because it's a jRPG, that's what they are supposed to do.

Falksi

Arcane
But the unholy, retarded fanbase which worships CT is one of the big reasons I've come to detest the game.
This I don't get. Hate because popular = love because popular, ghey shit. Retards gonna retard, have a chuckle and ignore.
Read the rest of my post and it explains why.

If you can't be arsed, CT basically popularized decline standards which weren't common in gaming, but which now are. Frictionless gameplay being the big stand out example. And with along with that it drew simplistic, graphic-fag morons who were all about the "cozyness" into the hobby, and ever since stuff which makes for good gaming such as good gameplay, pacing, structure etc. took a back seat to all the dumb shit.

It bred child-minded gaming, hence why so many journos have jumped on-board the hype train for it since.

Sunri

Liturgist
My friend at work recommended me this game, i watched some videos praising it and played it a bit, finished the first dungeon (castle) and i guess its just nostalgia bait? or I'm missing something

Hellraiser

Arcane
My friend at work recommended me this game, i watched some videos praising it and played it a bit, finished the first dungeon (castle) and i guess its just nostalgia bait? or I'm missing something
It's mostly nostalgia bait. I'll quote my post from last year:

It's more like a Bioware game vs a Black Isle/Troika one. There are clearly more complex and deep games of the time in the genre, but this one is more of a simpler game of its genre with better mass market appeal. It is overrated in the same way Ocarina of Time is overrated, that is it is a solid adventure, that has some unique things going for it so that it can be memorable, has high production values, but it is not particularly deep just polished, all of which contributed to console and non-hardcore gamers elevating it and praising it as something mindblowing.

The game is a light-hearted time traveling adventure anime in JRPG clothes clearly aimed at a teen crowd (just how far into teens is debatable) with good production values, nothing more nothing less. As far as JRPGs go, the combat is ok although relying on gimmicks in encounters rather than mechanical depth. At the very least it requires you to remember the tactical rock paper scissors for the given monster gimmick or optimal tech for a particular batch of monsters, unlike say Star Ocean (the PSP remake) which in my experience was just brainless mash X to win and retreat apart from 3 boss encounters and the colloseum (maybe).

Anonymous Ranger

Literate
I always found CT to just be a ok game. It's nothing special but it's not really all that terrible either. It's very mediocre and anyone who claims it does anything super well probably doesn't play too many RPGs. I really won't recommend it to anyone as even back in it's time there's better RPGs to waste your time with. It really confuses me how such a game is regarded as the best of all time. I get the feeling a lot of people ether played the game once as a kid or never played the game and just want to fit in with the crowd.

One thing CT does very well is making it clear where you're supposed to go next, and require little effort to level up to survive there. This keeps the player's interest and makes it so more people finish the game, which I think is responsible for most of the praise. Very few people enjoy the feeling of not knowing where to go, you see people complaining about God of War giving you hints if you take more than a minute in a puzzle, or Uncharted/Resident Evil marking interactable surfaces with yellow paint, but most players don't care because they'd rather not get stuck.

Falksi

Arcane
I'm sure I just posted my comment in the CT thread and not as a new thread :lol:

No, you bumped the Top 55 JRPGs front page post from last year to randomly bitch about Chrono Trigger. :killit:
Sorry, I didn't realize a I should post about a JRPG and an article/discussion on it's ranking in the Top 55 JRPG thread. :lol:

Although tbh I'm glad this is getting a bit more exposure now, so all's well that ends well.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
As a kid I really enjoyed it; a wonderful and somewhat magical experience which I'd have probably had in my top 10 RPGs of the 90's back then, but it also felt somewhat dated to me in some ways too after playing other, better RPGs before it as well. And then I grew up, delved into deeper RPGs like Baldur's Gate 2, and when I tried to replay CT in the 00's it was just too easy and unengaging for me to bother finishing again. It felt flat, but I still thought it was OK for what it was.
The crux of the issue. A normal and sufficiently developing mind naturally seeks out more challenging, complex fare (lasting until old age begins to rob us of our faculties -but not to the point we regress to the zoomer/journalist stage) The mainstream gamer of today is not in possession of such a mind. What stimulated them fully as a child continues to fully stimulate them as an adult, possibly even more so. It's at this point that I believe when the average, non-gaming normies says games are for kids, they are not saying that because of the games themselves, but because of the people they see and know who play video games: the aforementioned stunted individuals. The kinds of comments you've pointed out are the fruit of those regressive, reprobate minds. Their homes probably smell like an AGDQ marathon.

Last edited:

Latro

Arcane
Actual top snes rpgs (in no order): Shiren, SMT1, Romancing SaGa 2, Tactics Ogre, Wiz 4 Gaiden

…and that’s right, none of them came to the West. Runner ups: Terranigma, Live a Live (ninja mansion in particular). I need to replay most of the DQ games too.

Ryzer

Arcane
Underrail fanboys are the most annoying, CT fanboys don't exist IRL, they are usually loli-fans, virgin, full of acne pimples while Underrail fans are 30- years old neckbeards fantasizing on a single-player MMO.

Beans00

Augur
This is an ugly truth but someone needs to say it, and I need to get it off my chest. In almost all JRPG'S you play as the bad guy, often as terrorists.

In final fantasy 2 the game literally opens up with you leaving your friend to die

In final fantasy 4 you very clearly play as a traitor and a coward. Instead of following orders you rebel, cecil later becomes an incel.

I barely remember final fantasy 5 but in the emulator version your name was butz and I thought that was funny. Also some youtuber named 'snesdrunk' called the final boss of ffv one of the hardest snes bosses, guy is literally on crack.

In final fantasy 6 again you play as a traitor, the empire brings work, stability and security to the rest of the world. Obviously there are bad actors but sometimes the ends justify the means. Instead you blow up some floating island, destroy the world kill millions of people and 'save the world'. Bullshit. There are clearly good people in the empire, like Leonard who is in a power struggle against kofka. Instead of having an option to help leonard and celes, you blow up that floating island halfway through the game and destroy the world. Smart.

Final fantasy 7, don't even get me started. Lets start with Cloud, the protagonist(if that's even his real name). You are
1. A terrorist, the game literally opens up with you destroying a power plant. What about hospitals and other essential services in makor city? Collateral damage is never taken into account.
2. A deserter. Cloud very clearly was enlisted in the military, and very clearly deserted.
3. Identity thief, He clearly steals his other friends identity.
4. Mentally ill. Guy makes the nameless one look like a perfect picture of mental health.
So you play as terrorists blowing up power plants, then you stop the shinra from destroying a meteor that would destroy the world. Then you spend the last half of the game chasing some incel with a 50 foot sword around.

In final fantasy 8 you play as another incel and you spend the whole game trying to kill your foster mother. Squash is also too retarded to remember all his friends were also his foster siblings.

In ff9 you play as a furry. Enough said.

In chrono trigger you're on some butterfly effect shit. Time travel is wrong and immoral.

For a great movie that talks about the decline of Japanese culture I highly recommend Mishima life in four chapters.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089603/

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
One thing CT does very well is making it clear where you're supposed to go next, and require little effort to level up to survive there. This keeps the player's interest and makes it so more people finish the game, which I think is responsible for most of the praise. Very few people enjoy the feeling of not knowing where to go, you see people complaining about God of War giving you hints if you take more than a minute in a puzzle, or Uncharted/Resident Evil marking interactable surfaces with yellow paint, but most players don't care because they'd rather not get stuck.
yeah right, im sure you brainlorded your way through the masamune quest

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
This is an ugly truth but someone needs to say it, and I need to get it off my chest. In almost all JRPG'S you play as the bad guy, often as terrorists.

In final fantasy 2 the game literally opens up with you leaving your friend to die

In final fantasy 4 you very clearly play as a traitor and a coward. Instead of following orders you rebel, cecil later becomes an incel.

I barely remember final fantasy 5 but in the emulator version your name was butz and I thought that was funny. Also some youtuber named 'snesdrunk' called the final boss of ffv one of the hardest snes bosses, guy is literally on crack.

In final fantasy 6 again you play as a traitor, the empire brings work, stability and security to the rest of the world. Obviously there are bad actors but sometimes the ends justify the means. Instead you blow up some floating island, destroy the world kill millions of people and 'save the world'. Bullshit. There are clearly good people in the empire, like Leonard who is in a power struggle against kofka. Instead of having an option to help leonard and celes, you blow up that floating island halfway through the game and destroy the world. Smart.

Final fantasy 7, don't even get me started. Lets start with Cloud, the protagonist(if that's even his real name). You are
1. A terrorist, the game literally opens up with you destroying a power plant. What about hospitals and other essential services in makor city? Collateral damage is never taken into account.
2. A deserter. Cloud very clearly was enlisted in the military, and very clearly deserted.
3. Identity thief, He clearly steals his other friends identity.
4. Mentally ill. Guy makes the nameless one look like a perfect picture of mental health.
So you play as terrorists blowing up power plants, then you stop the shinra from destroying a meteor that would destroy the world. Then you spend the last half of the game chasing some incel with a 50 foot sword around.

In final fantasy 8 you play as another incel and you spend the whole game trying to kill your foster mother. Squash is also too retarded to remember all his friends were also his foster siblings.

In ff9 you play as a furry. Enough said.

In chrono trigger you're on some butterfly effect shit. Time travel is wrong and immoral.

For a great movie that talks about the decline of Japanese culture I highly recommend Mishima life in four chapters.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089603/
mishima was a ridiculous figure who's failed at properly killing himself, all that posturing just to go out like an utter bitch

JDR13

Arcane
The game is 25+ years old.

Beans00

Augur
The game is 25+ years old.
Crono in CT gets as less pussy then you, thats the reason you like it.

Lets be real here, Crono is:
1. friendzoned by the necklace girl
2. friendzoned by the glasses girl
3. too much of a weak cuck for the prehistoric chick.

Maybe he has a chance with the frog or the robot. That's it.

In fallout 1 I could play as whoever I wanted. I was ultimate alpha male, katja was my boo even if she had a green mohawk and a nose ring. Crono= incel.

yeah right, im sure you brainlorded your way through the masamune quest
For the one required to advance the game, you just need to find Caius Cosades Melchior and he lives in a house that shows up in the world map.

The one to reforge it into the improved version I don't remember how I figured out, might have required PRO TIPS because the dialogue itself doesn't give hints, but it's optional.

3. too much of a weak cuck for the prehistoric chick.
I don't think that's a problem for her.

In the PlayStation, Nintendo DS and Steam versions of Chrono Trigger, a cutscene shows Ayla proposing to Kino, putting a ring seemingly made out of wood on his finger, and throwing another ring at Kino for him to put on her hand, showing that they got married after Ayla returned to the Prehistory after defeating Lavos.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
CT "fanboys" are just this guy.

iu

It's not that they feel compelled to preach the gospel of Chrono Trigger wherever they go. It's that they've barely played any RPGs, and only the ones recommended to them by gaming journalists. These faggots wouldn't even be able to make it out of the Mortuary if they bothered to play Planescape, and they've never heard of Suikoden or Lufia. They don't want anything resembling difficult gameplay, so Chrono Trigger is perfect for them.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Technically Chrono Trigger has decent story. It's not that many games that features characters that screwed up stuff so badly the world is in danger, and they are main characters. Basically protagonist is saving the world and is screaming it's not my fault, these villains did that.

It's also probably only game that allows the main character to be totally innocent on trial and sentenced to death, or be totally guilty of EVERYTHING on trial, and with screams we didn't know he's such villain be sentenced to death.

Also you could have a princess properly tied up in cute way to be slowly lowered to flame and screeching when main character was too slow to finish the contest in time. 10 attempts later I found there is a dash button. But she looks really cute when she's... And you can try to have 10+ cats as optional story. Doing 10+ cat ending on New Game+ is actually nice, and feel like correct ending to Chrono Trigger.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom