Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Can't Cloak My Emotions, Can't Mask My Tears (Top Ten)

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
rgpSk.jpg

1sIsb.jpg

vzx23.jpg

lXbGN.jpg

YFe1S.jpg

h2pd5.jpg

jZb4Y.jpg

BQmbt.jpg

yFO9w.jpg

8YaQ6.jpg

LLNUv.jpg

mdT9L.jpg

uuV8f.jpg

a15id.jpg

p4zT5.jpg

EXwKL.jpg

dNmni.jpg

y4qzd.jpg

29JSR.jpg

0CGS6.jpg

wS3mt.jpg

dAVYe.jpg

9i4h0.jpg

NjdW2.jpg

p3Uci.jpg

SoupNazi

Please don't end on this cliffhanger, man. Whatever am I gonna do until you post the rest? :-(

SoupNazi

OK man, thanks. Also, I kind of hate the story arc with the supermice and supercats or whatever the fuck. I also hated the gladiator game until it's revealed it's really the Commissioner's attempt at covering her shit up. Also Smax is fucking awesome, and I got all hooked up again after the annoyance that stemmed from the supermice.

Vaarna_Aarne

The fight between Ultima and Smax is one of those times when Alan Moore shows that there are few writers of any kind on Earth that can write a fight scene like he can. It's got emotion and intensity in it, and awesome fight-dialogue. Seriously, the way Smax calmly walks over to Traynor and then asks for permission to use extreme force, and the crying Traynor replies "break her fucking neck, son" is fucking masterclass level.

SoupNazi

Yeah, I have to admit my heart was pounding at that point. You really can tell Smax is his favorite character in the series, and the way he just persists on taking her down with stoic determination is very well pulled off (other writers might make it look cheesy). And only once Robyn is involved does he actually seem to start caring about the outcome, or rather, he becomes less certain of being victorious.

Vaarna_Aarne

It also helps that we already had plenty of tips that he was far more powerful than anyone else in the department, but how Moore still keeps this ragtag bunch so united and functioning. But still, it's like the moment in Swamp Thing where ST declares the now god-like Anton Arcane that he's about to pay for all the shit he's done to innocent people. Like there, here too your heart is racing and you're rooting for the hero like you should be. Though there the fight was a curbstomp and Swampie annihillated Arcane who couldn't even fight back, but it was satisfying there too because he was such an evil arrogant bastard he deserved no less. Here the good guys win by smarts, but it still shows how much of a fucking MAN Smax is as he just keeps on fighting, but especially when he understands what his dead friend was telling him in his dream and things get personal and desperate.

SoupNazi

Yeah. Also I just noticed the dog-detective has a shirt that says Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai, which is an awesome movie. Just as a sidenote. That said, onwards to the next page.

SoupNazi

Amazing. Can't wait for Smax and Robyn's trip to his homeland, that's oughta be something. I'm also hoping for more stuff about Caesar (the dog right), and it looks like I just might get more soon.

SoupNazi

Also, I like the new recruit. He's a comedic relief, but unlike the fucking supermice, the comedy comes from a character who's just genuinely funny (as a character, not as funny writing) and in an adorable way - like when he does tricks for the children, that stuff is really cute funny. You just know that there could be a cop like that in every precint of actual real life police, and at the same time, he's not first-plan, ha ha hilarious, because he's also a capable cop - unlike that electro Peter guy who's just a pointless retard.

Vaarna_Aarne

Joe Pi and Jack Phantom were overwhelming the most popular characters among the readers. My own personal favourites are Smax, King Peacock and Joe. King Peacock because he's a very kind and big-hearted man, like what religious people like to think they are like but he isn't like that because of his religion. The scenes with his family were great too, as was what he told his son about the gladiatorial trophy.

Joe Pi precisely because of the reasons you listed. He's a very warm and human character, and he's comedic because he's a funny person. There's also the way he deals with prejudice he faces and Pete being an asshole, by just being witty and making those insulting him look like fools. Or doing all sorts of little things that show Irma he's a good person. As for Smax, you'll see next page. And after Smax, I'll post Forty-Niners, which is about the first and troubled year of Neopolis, featuring a vampire mafia operating from the neighbourhood of Little Budapest, Nazi super-scientists who built the city like Gromolko, Steve Traynor meeting the love of his life and clickers.

PS: I must tell you the bad news, which is that the series was dropped after the two good mini-series when Moore started getting into quarrels with DC again. Some new guy wrote a story later with a new art team, but apparently it pales in comparison to Moore's stuff, and I haven't liked some of the plot points I heard about. Originally Top Ten was supposed to be an ongoing series with a "season 2", and Moore wrote it as such (as you can probably tell). Tom Strong suffered the same fate, but with less dignity as the series lasted long after Moore's departure.

Still, I'll post the "Beyond The Farthest Precint" series if you guys want.

Vaarna_Aarne

Also, do you guys feel that the song lyrics Moore wrote for Top Ten are great stuff? They're the kind of music you can imagine in your head just reading, from the robot gangsta rap (my personal favourites, the boasts are hilarious) to mutant discoteque to a Bond-like theme for a TV show.

SoupNazi

Yeah - I'd say Smax is my favorite as well, and Joe Pi right after him. Kemlo is intriguing me but wouldn't say he's my favorite (yet). King Peacock reminds me of a character I've seen elsewhere, but I can't quite put a finger on it. He sort of feels like he got here from uh... like The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? Feels like that anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom