Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 2, Still looking pretty cool.

Regarding that stupid vehicle followers, they should have added a roflcopter, so that the enemys follow you with their helicopters. Oh.. wait, i mean they should have added a diablo II waypoint system so that the enemys can follow you through those waypoints. .. Err...I give up.

Solohk

Scholar
Widescreengamingforum.com has a hack out that fixes the game cutting off the top and bottom of the screen as it's widescreen. I've been running it and it makes things loads better.

You can grab it here.

psycojester

Arbiter
JrK said:
Wyrmlord said:
Admiral jimbob said:
But does it have GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER?
I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE I SAID COME IN DON'T STAND THERE

WHAT ARE YOU DEAF? WHAT ARE YOU HERE? WHAT ARE YOU DEAF? WHAT ARE YOU HERE?WHAT ARE YOU DEAF? WHAT ARE YOU HERE?WHAT ARE YOU DEAF? WHAT ARE YOU HERE?WHAT ARE YOU DEAF? WHAT ARE YOU HERE?WHAT ARE YOU DEAF? WHAT ARE YOU HERE?WHAT ARE YOU DEAF? WHAT ARE YOU HERE?WHAT ARE YOU DEAF? WHAT ARE YOU HERE?WHAT ARE YOU DEAF? WHAT ARE YOU HERE?WHAT ARE YOU DEAF? WHAT ARE YOU HERE?WHAT ARE YOU DEAF? WHAT ARE YOU HERE?WHAT ARE YOU DEAF? WHAT ARE YOU HERE?WHAT ARE YOU DEAF? WHAT ARE YOU HERE?

:lol: Seriously that game is great just for the amount of fun you can have quoting it!

PersonallyimuchprefertheFarCry2styleofgamevoiceactingforsomebafflingreasonallthevoiceactorsreadtheirlinesliketheyvenevereverheardofpunctionorbreathingbeforeitsliketheywereputintheboothwith50pagesofscript10minutestoreaditandaguntotheirheadormaybe thingsarejustrreallyreallybusyinafricandnobodyhasthetimetoslowdownandtalklikeafuckinghumanbeing

That said I'd say that Farcry 2 is a really great game in despersed with lots of really really sshitty driving around and fucking tedious checkpoints.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
Feh, I'll be honest, it's a ball of shit now. I really managed to have quite a good time with it for much longer than many of you did, but there's no arguing that it's a ball of shit underneath that.

Solohk

Scholar
Yeah, I really liked it at first but accept mission->checkpoint random technical checkpoint checkpoint->meet buddy->checkpoint checkpoint suicidal car checkpoint->do buddy objective->checkpoint checkpoint random technical checkpoint->main mission-> checkpoint checkpoint->save buddy is getting a bit old.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Farcry 2 being an Ass-ass-in Kreed with Guns is doing much worse than Fallout3 being an Oblivion with Guns.

Data4

Arcane
Solohk said:
Yeah, I really liked it at first but accept mission->checkpoint random technical checkpoint checkpoint->meet buddy->checkpoint checkpoint suicidal car checkpoint->do buddy objective->checkpoint checkpoint random technical checkpoint->main mission-> checkpoint checkpoint->save buddy is getting a bit old.

You just finished the junkyard air compressor mission too, eh? :D

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
CHRIST ALMIGHTY BUMP FROM HELL

Got it on the weekend from Gamers Gate for $15.00 USD. Thought it would be worth a shot at bargain bin prices.

Wow is this game shit. I've played it for all of maybe 3 hours? I thought I'd unlock the weapons first so I did a few of the missions from the weapon dealers. I've done all of three missions, three missions which were exactly the same, from three different weapons dealers and that's about all I can take.

The shooting mechanics just don't feel satisfactory. You ignore weapons on enemies because they're crap so there's no point actually taking them out to gain anything. You can also carry fuck all ammunition where-as the gun on the back of the Jeep you're always driving has unlimited ammo... So that becomes the default weapon.

Combat consists of you sitting outside camp in the back of a Jeep offloading into the bushes whenever you see the flash of someone firing at you. Extra points for randomly hitting a barrel and starting a fire.

... and Africans must have bullet resistant skin. I don't know what's going on there but you pop a guy fifteen times in the chest and he's still walking. So you offload an entire clip of ammo (thus exacerbating the ammo problem) to put them down. AND THEN THEY RESPAWN. OH GOD THEY RESPAWN.

You drive back through the checkpoint you cleared earlier just to find yet more enemies driving after you in Jeeps. And by the way, what happened to stealth?

They must have bought the reviewers as per usual. Average review score = 85. Gamer reviews = 5.5.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
DarkUnderlord said:
CHRIST ALMIGHTY BUMP FROM HELL

Got it on the weekend from Gamers Gate for $15.00 USD. Thought it would be worth a shot at bargain bin prices.

Wow is this game shit. I've played it for all of maybe 3 hours? I thought I'd unlock the weapons first so I did a few of the missions from the weapon dealers. I've done all of three missions, three missions which were exactly the same, from three different weapons dealers and that's about all I can take.

The shooting mechanics just don't feel satisfactory. You ignore weapons on enemies because they're crap so there's no point actually taking them out to gain anything. You can also carry fuck all ammunition where-as the gun on the back of the Jeep you're always driving has unlimited ammo... So that becomes the default weapon.

Combat consists of you sitting outside camp in the back of a Jeep offloading into the bushes whenever you see the flash of someone firing at you. Extra points for randomly hitting a barrel and starting a fire.

... and Africans must have bullet resistant skin. I don't know what's going on there but you pop a guy fifteen times in the chest and he's still walking. So you offload an entire clip of ammo (thus exacerbating the ammo problem) to put them down. AND THEN THEY RESPAWN. OH GOD THEY RESPAWN.

You drive back through the checkpoint you cleared earlier just to find yet more enemies driving after you in Jeeps. And by the way, what happened to stealth?

They must have bought the reviewers as per usual. Average review score = 85. Gamer reviews = 5.5.
Did you play Far Cry 1? If so what are your comparisons?

I played Far Cry 1 and enjoyed it except for the checkpoint-saving system, which made the game too hard. Far Cry 2 I torrented and only played though the first mission (rescue some guy). I'll admit I'm more impatient with games than I used to be. If it doesn't hook me quickly I stop playing.

With an rpg, though, that's not really a problem, because if I'm presented with dialogue options then that is an immediate hook. That makes me feel like I'm interacting with the game in a meaningful way.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:
I played Far Cry 1 and enjoyed it except for the checkpoint-saving system, which made the game too hard. Far Cry 2 I torrented and only played though the first mission (rescue some guy). I'll admit I'm more impatient with games than I used to be. If it doesn't hook me quickly I stop playing.
That's not impatience, that is good discretion.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
... and why does everyone talk so freaking fast? It's like they were made to record the dialogue with a gun to their heads and instructions to say these lines as fast as humanly possible or else they'd be shot.

Dicksmoker said:
Did you play Far Cry 1? If so what are your comparisons?
Far Cry 1 is enjoyable and well worth playing. If I recall, the weapons seemed to work well in that and the level design was brilliant (I love that jungle mission with the walkways through the tree-tops). Far Cry 2 is just utter rubbish by comparison. I can't say I recall checkpoint saving in Far Cry 1? If so, it means I didn't take an issue with it.

I also love Far Cry 2's constant reminders about "all I have to do is hunt down the Jackal -it's a simple mission" and yet... What exactly am I doing about it? Running around mindlessly with no point? How does that find me the Jackal?

Dicksmoker said:
With an rpg, though, that's not really a problem, because if I'm presented with dialogue options then that is an immediate hook. That makes me feel like I'm interacting with the game in a meaningful way.
I think that's Far Cry 2's problem. There's no hook. There's no interest in what you're doing. That and the game-play isn't that fun. It's just a five-minute "I'm bored, I want to kill some people" game and even then I'm struggling to play for more than 2 minutes before I quit and look to do something else at the moment.

Suchy

Arcane
What the fuck is wrong with you guys praising that piece of shit Far Cry 1 all the way? I got it because of good opinions here and it's a total waste. It's basically the same as Crysis, but worse. The story is just as retarded, the stealth is nonexisting, because everyone can hear your steps through brick walls. Why increasing difficulty level results in bulletproof t-shirts and enemies doing headshots from 500m, using a RPG? AI is so dumb that you can hide behind a door and just wait for everyone to show up, shooting them like practice targets.
Excellent level design? The same fake-freedom as in Crysis.
And the game is the worst case of terrible "tough-guys" voice acting. Just hearing the NPCs speak makes my teeth grind.
Seriously Crysis is a way better game than Far Cry 1 even if it shares many of the same faults.

JrK

Prophet
At least Crysis had some cool stealth elements, like the enemies being able to lose your position. In Far Cry everyone and their mother knew your position as soon as you moved 5 cm outside of that bush.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Why do you guys play "stealthily" in the first place? :D

It's a shooter. You flip out and massacre people before they do the same to you, and keep doing it as quickly as you can.

I never understood all those "nonlethal Deus Ex playthrough" fags. Deus Ex is not about crouching and near dark corners through the whole game. It's about setting paramilitary men on fire. It's about planting LAMs on walls before running away from augmented agents to blow them up. It's about surprising that giant robot which was painstakingly searching for you and blowing it up with your LAW. It's about turning on Speed and Strength augmentation to whip down everyone with your baton or sword.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Suchy said:
Seriously Crysis is a way better game than Far Cry 1 even if it shares many of the same faults.
Yes.
And Far Cry's "freedom" sounds laughable after OFP and ArmA.

Wyrmlord said:
Deus Ex is [...] about setting paramilitary men on fire.
1195970568513ij6.jpg

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I am sure you enjoy painstakingly tiptoeing with the Silent Stepping augmentation, whipping out your taser, walking steadily behind the bloke while your taser's aim locks down on his neck, and than just shocking the person.

Then quickly removing all items from him. And then moving his body before anyone notices.

And then starting the whole routine with another soldier all. over. again.

Obviously, that is far more viable than having a high Rifle skill, and then using Speed augmentation to accurately do rapid fire headshots on everybody while strafing.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I am sure you enjoy painstakingly tiptoeing in Thief, whipping out your club, walking steadily behind the bloke while your club's aim locks down on his neck, and then just shocking the person.

Then quickly removing all items from all around him. And then moving his body before anyone notices.

And then starting the whole routine with another soldier all. over. again.

Obviously, that is far more viable than having a God Mode cheat, and then run around while accurately doing rapid fire headshots with a bow on everybody while strafing.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Obviously, that is far more viable than having a high Rifle skill, and then using Speed augmentation to accurately do rapid fire headshots on everybody while strafing.

Well, let's have a look at the enormous number of games in the 'Blow the Shit out of Shit, 'cause it's Cool!' pile and then look at the 'Sneak about Exploring Different Routes, 'cause it's Tense!' pile. Why would you, when given the smallest smidgen of freedom to get away from that, pick the very same thing you've done over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over?

But yeah, that sneaking sure gets repetitive.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Wyrmlord just puts it like you must stun everyone.
I for one just avoided bunches of guys which was easier and much more viable than constantly looking for ammo and consuming health kits.
Somehow kids these days forget that stealth is not about stunning everyone which is just another form of combat. Stealth is about avoiding unwanted combat together with unneeded attention (considering that combat in DX is not that good I find the ability to avoid it to be a good thing).
That's why when they say that Alpha Protocol where stealth is about shooting everyone with a silenced pistol - is like Deus Ex makes me nerdrage

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Avoiding confrontation is a sensible approach for the Liberty Island mission where enemies are so sparse and their loot so useless that you are better off quietly climbing up to the top.

Same for Battery Park.

But all those delicious MiBs, MJ12 troopers, and MJ12 commandos that you start seeing after UNATCO captures you; how can you miss out on the wholesale destruction of the lower level base?

And the warehouse mission, where everyone is sniper fodder?

AND Paul's apartment, where MiBs start bursting en masse, and you stand ready to flame them as they come through the doorway? Would you rather let Paul die so you can be a pacifist?

MetalCraze

Arcane
So? The game gives you a choice which fits your taste and what you currently want to do. I for one don't crave for delicious blows and bangs everywhere. It is seeking cunning ways to do something that pleases me.

Luzur

Good Sir
well simply put, Far Cry 2 was shit, i had to search and install a mod that made enemies die with one hit and that altered the respawn time to thrice the time before i had finished the third buddy mission.

my god how could they have released something like this? and how come so many dupes defend ubisoft and FarCry 2 stating it is the most impressive game they ever played on their PS3's on various forums?

its shit.

DefJam101

Arcane
Far Cry 1 was quite good until the mutated Quake-rejectees started running around, and even then it was far better than Crysis or FC2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom