Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 2, Still looking pretty cool.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Here's the latest video for it on Gametrailers. Talks about immersion, specifically, how Far Cry 2 doesn't just use graphics and audio, but also tons of animations for the player character, like actually getting into a vehicle instead of just poking it and then teleporting inside.

Sorry if I sound fanboyish but I'm a sucker for detail.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39278.html

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Yeah, and have you noticed the style of the game?

While most FPSes have this over-the-top orchestra music, Far Cry 2 uses more restrained and wierd-ish harmonica music and traditional African drumbeats.

And the whole setting: well, I thought I knew what to expect when I heard African savannah, but the locations in this game turn out to be still quite different from the usual fare. There are these rock caves, river canyons, vast rolling hills,.etc, and that makes up for a setting that we haven't usually seen in a game.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I'm pretty stoked about this game to be honest. Looks to be a rather fresh and I absolutely love the amount of polish they seem to apply.

Currently I'm busy replaying ARMA and even after a number of patches it's still marred by bugs and feels incredibly and often frustratingly unpolished. I do hope developers take note and will stop using their audiences as beta testers one day.

Haha that guy could be the father of Pete Hines. You could even swap out some of his words and place them on some Fallout 3 footage. However i`m looking forward to this game.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
The colour scheme in the jungle is a bit worrying sometimes, its all nextgen dark and brown. The AI in one of the vids was rather worrying, with people spotting you immediately after you fire from behind a tree/shrubbery 250 feet away, and then deciding to run around in circles. Still, it looks like a really fun game and I'm guessing it'll suck all of my time.

This vid I'm talking about: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54426

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah part of the videos start to look sepia toned there's so much brown in it. They certainly say the right things about the game, I hope it delivers. If there's any aliens/mutants in the endgame all the developers need to be strangled.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
This game has nothing to do with Far Cry at all. And yet it is called Far Cry 2. The setting, story, and characters have absolutely no connection (a good thing). Even the gameplay is in a different direction. Far Cry 2 is a freeroaming game while Far Cry was a game with very large levels. It's not even the same game.

And yet, I probably would not have paid attention to the game if it weren't called Far Cry 2. So it works out quite well. They got my attention by alluding to a game that I like, but are making another wholly different kind of game, that I still might like.

And even the Codex cynicism isn't getting in the way. Even the guys here are impressed and interested, and the worst I have seen here is cautious optimism. And all this despite the fact that these are the guys who made Asssassin's Creed, which was not well-liked here. If anything, it shows Ubisoft Montreal sure knows how to work its PR. :p

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well, them showing long gameplay vids that actually look cool is a mayor contribution to me being interested in this game. I dismissed it as just another fps untill I saw one of these.

ricolikesrice

Arcane

crytek went for mutants/aliens with the right idea in their mind - to keep the game from becomming too repeative.

for a stupid analogy its like pizza. after 5 days of eating pizza (in different variations of course), even pizza-fans are probably slowly getting tired off it. thats why you offer them something different .... maybe spaghetti ?

crytek got it. but they sucked hard at cooking spaghetti and they tasted like shit.
and even after 5 days of eating pizza..... most would still prefer another day of pizza over being fed shit. crytek got the right idea .... but failed hard in its execution.

ubisoft so far is advertising with pizza and guaranteeing NO spaghetti. fair enough, though i wouldnt mind spaghetti if they were proper cooked this time.

the question no preview, trailer or interview has answered yet is however if they plan to serve us pizza for 10 days (like they did with assassins creed - mind you i think the FC2 team is a different one though) or will actually do something to keep the game from becomming repeative very fast.

so i m cautiosly optimistic at best.

MisterStone

Arcane
That arm popping business looked a bit ridiculous. WTF, he just snaps his arm back in place like an ubermensch and everything is OK?

User was nabbed fit

MisterStone said:
That arm popping business looked a bit ridiculous. WTF, he just snaps his arm back in place like an ubermensch and everything is OK?

I guess I wasn't paying attention, since I thought he popped a dislocated shoulder back in. Either way, I thought it was cool... can't expect too much realism, I mean, you can get 'health' back by injecting yourself. Unfortunately bullet wounds and trauma don't work like that IRL either, but if it were realistic in-game it wouldn't be as fun.

Solohk

Scholar
I just hope all we fight is humans and that it doesn't have a late game of enemies taking a whole clip to take down. I'd much rather have the enemy's offensive capabilities increase rather than defensive. I stopped playing Far Cry when I got to the damn trigens. Stealth goes out the window and you've got to drain your assault rifle clip to kill one. *yawn*

DiverNB

Liturgist
Moral grey areas and consequences in my FPS?

Sounds great! Those explosion were purtty too.

A user named cat

Talk about hitting all the right buttons, now this is the kind of detail every FPS should contain. Watching this right after watching the Fallout 3 videos is like night and day. Better visuals, better gun sounds, better weapons, better animations, better pretty much everything.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Tell me about it. Farcry 2 was so far off my radar it might as well have been in another star system, but that trailer pulled it into the spotlight.

I'm not sure how the healing system actually works, but different treatment for smaller and larger wounds looks interesting, as do the injuries themselves. I wonder what happens if you can't trat an injury right away. I hope it'll be a proper handicap.

Shoelip

Arbiter
ViolentOpposition said:
Check this one out. Not a bad player wounds system...

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39274.html

Nice point on infamy/moral gray areas too.

Looks like this'll beat the shit out of Crysis, which was the 'real' sequel to Far Cry.

Oops. That's the video I meant to link to. :oops:

Anyway, yeah, it does have some things that seem a little silly, but like I said I'm a sucker for details. I'm curious to see how they handle the whole choices and consequences thing with the buddy NPCs. Originally you were supposed to be able to choose the character you played from the list of buddies and then the others would be NPCs. I wonder if they still have that. I think the thing about this game that's really great is that even though the game is being developed on consoles already they're still showing off all sorts of cool detailed gameplay. Even if it was dumbed down for the consoles the stuff they're showing still makes it seem like it'll be really enjoyable regardless. One thing I'm sort of worried about is the amount of time corpses stay around in the world, but I suppose it's not really a big deal.

Deacdo

Liturgist
All those features are nice, but what about the most obvious one that just about every FPS conveniently "forgets"?

Enemy model damage. If I see one more FPS where I unload a clip of ammo into an enemy and he looks completely untouched I will go ballistic. So much effort is put into *everything else*...but when it comes to make the things that you're shooting at look like they've been shot? Nothing. Idiotic.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Well, Fallout 3.... :?

I think the reason they might not want to do that in most games is that it would make it allot harder to get parents to buy it for their kids. Maybe. Just an idea.

Deacdo

Liturgist
Shoelip said:
I think the reason they might not want to do that in most games is that it would make it allot harder to get parents to buy it for their kids. Maybe. Just an idea.
Not a very good one, though, since it makes no sense.

Deacdo

Liturgist
lol. I'd say so. You'd have the publishers giving parents a lot of credit for being attentive and discerning, which also seems pretty unlikely.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom