Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 2, Still looking pretty cool.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Why do people still complain about FC1's saving system? You could save anywhere, just bind a key to save game with the console.

Stupid people never played quake to understand how useful and powerful an ingame console is.
DefJam101 said:
Far Cry 1 was quite good until the mutated Quake-rejectees started running around
Yea. I was having fun killing mercs, specially since they coordinated their attacks quite efficiently. But then those quake Fiend's wannabes started popping up, the rest of the game went downhill from that point on.
and even then it was far better than Crysis or FC2.
True.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Major_Boobage said:
I remember Farcry 1 being extremely hard on the hardest difficulty setting. The opponents really used their senses.

For a 5 km distance rocket shot to hit its target, it better be superhuman senses.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
It's only a singleplayer game. It's not supposed to be "balanced". Such games are not made to maintain equal competition between different players.

It is just between you and the computer. The computer is just supposed to throw as much insanity at you without compromise, to see how long the player can last without breaking down. And the player is supposed to use as many exploits and as many sleights to outlast the game.

So what you essentially have here is a game where a large number of heavily armed people are placed both near up and far away from sight, and you are told that you have to be able to find and kill all of them in one stretch with only being able to reload from the very beginning.

There is no room for balance in a singleplayer game; a singleplayer game is supposed to knock you down, kick you in the teeth, and laugh at you saying "Haha you dumb piece of shit". Singleplayer games are about systematically building up your gold pile, and then being robbed off completely by a sneaky robber in the street. Singleplayer games are about walking into one room, and then findng you have been teleported onto a pit of snakes. Singleplayer games are about getting critically hit by a low-level ninja and having your uber fighter killed instantly.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Luzur said:
well simply put, Far Cry 2 was shit, i had to search and install a mod that made enemies die with one hit and that altered the respawn time to thrice the time before i had finished the third buddy mission.
Hey, that sounds like just what I've been looking for. Where can one find this mod? My compelling nature to finish games I start is overwhelming so I may as well do it in style.

Luzur

Good Sir
...cant remember, but look up some of the FarCry2 forums, i found a link in somewhere in one of them.

or google FarCry2 mods

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Just so you know: You suck. You think I haven't been googling? All I've found so far are some dumb maps, empty database sites that seem to have link spammed themselves up in google and a bunch of useless threads of people asking the same question I am with helpful answers along the lines of "uninstall, it greatly enhances the experience". I think removing respawn completely and dropping enemy health (or increasing weapon damage) would make the game much better. Oh and maybe some stealth or AI being added but I think that'd be too much to ask.

Herbert West

Arbiter
15$ ? This game is worth no more than the bandwidth it takes to torrent it. It's really disgraceful, and the very definition of shit in a pretty and shiny box. I hate the devs behind it, since after a bit of playing I felt cheated.

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
Man, I picked this turd up for $10 the other day thinking I was getting a good deal on it. I wasn't expecting it to be great, but it sucks so much worse than I expected. How could the devs fail so hard on this? You know a shooter is poorly designed when you are actually excited to find a bus stop, so you can avoid the gameplay.

Quilty

Magister
I tried playing it with a trainer that reduced the amount of bullets those shirtless niggers could take, but it fucked up the save game somehow. I'm just grateful I got the game bundled with my graphics card and didn't pay for that shit.

Divinity: Original Sin
Terrible game FC2 is. They tried to make it GTA style. but moving around is so boring, it's a burden.

And you'll move around a lot. They give you a mission in one corner of the map, and it's objectives are in the other corner. You'll have to get across a big map full of outposts with respawning AI, that reappear 30 seconds after you killed then. And if your car explodes in the middle of the jungle, you are on foot and have to walk that long distance until you find another vehicle.

And all fucking missions look the same. Go there, kill bandits, go back. It may have an objective like blowing stuff, but you get a lot of guardind AI to kill.

And even out of a mission, there's aways enemies and only enemies. There's no civilian AI. Everybody wants to kill you. Even when you are in place full of friends, if you go back there it'll be full of bad guys.

The worst thing is that you can do missions for both factions and they act like they don't know you're a double agent. You are destroying their resources and they keep hiring you to destroy each other.

So bad.

I don't know if I ever hated any other game as much as I did this one. And I was actually hyped by all the gameplay vids I've seen prior to release. I remember at the same time there was also Fallout 3 hype going on and not buying into it made me feel so smart. And then FarCry 2 turned out to be much bigger turd than Fallout 3, I couldn't believe how could they fuck it up so bad. Everything I've seen or heard about it prior to it's release indicated a much better game than FC1, but later on it only made me like that very same FC1 more.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Clockwork Knight said:
Game is nice. Could do without crazy respawn, though (one developers acknowledged this in an interview).
Yeah I don't get the blind hate for it. Only real problem I had with it was instability - it always crashed about an hour into the game but the graphics always went a little crazy just before that so I had time to quicksave. Respawning is overdone but it just encourages sneaking and RLH tactics instead of killing everyone all the time. Could've done with less respawning still.

Aside from that it's p. good. Some of the quests are entertaining, lots of exploration and tons of stuff hidden in out of the way places, completely non-linear within each act, even the MQ isn't strictly linear and you can do some parts of it in a different order. It's Far Cry without levels and without trigens and plays more like FC than Crysis anyway. It's got plenty of flaws but nowhere near "worst gaem evar!" that it gets slammed for.

Yeah I know, -9000 KKK.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Sceptic said:
Some of the quests are entertaining, lots of exploration and tons of stuff hidden in out of the way places, completely non-linear within each act, even the MQ isn't strictly linear and you can do some parts of it in a different order.
it's too arcade. weapon durability and accuracy sucks ass, the respawns are really annoying, and considering the game could easily feature some kind of territorial control system for factions also pretty unnecessary. the missions are for the most part rather simplistic, and all the side missions just plainly suck, the weapon convoys more so than anything else. then there's that thing with shirtless guys taking magazines to take down, and the artificial division into two acts that have you WTFWHYHAVEITODOALLTHESAMESHITALLOVERAGAIN.

the hate comes mostly from the discrepancy between what was deliverd, and what was expected, and while the game is not the worst shooter ever, as far as arcadeish and linear not-quite-so-open world shooters go, red faction guerilla is a much better game.

Darth Slaughter said:
And even out of a mission, there's aways enemies and only enemies. There's no civilian AI. Everybody wants to kill you. Even when you are in place full of friends, if you go back there it'll be full of bad guys.

The towns are neutral grounds, and there's the other mercenaries. The games states all the civilians evacuated and all that's left are the factions trying to take control of what's left. Yeah, excuses, but I didn't question it because it didn't seem so absurd (the place turned into a total shithole)

The worst thing is that you can do missions for both factions and they act like they don't know you're a double agent. You are destroying their resources and they keep hiring you to destroy each other.

Yeah, that was bad. Worst thingg is, the fatcions are barely distinguishable from each othe - I read the manual and the in game dialogs, but they still sound so alike I usually forget which one I'm working for (which doesn't matter, since you can do jobs for both). Though this may be on purpose - on your journal, your character states that both factions are full of idiots who are so similar they could be good allies if they weren't intent on killing each other. Which probably isn't too unrealistic.

SuicideBunny said:
t's too arcade. weapon durability and accuracy sucks ass,

fix: don't grab the rusty shit off the ground. Jackal sells those for a pittance for a reason. The ones you buy on the store are new, accurate and reliable.

Luzur

Good Sir
The towns are neutral grounds, and there's the other mercenaries. The games states all the civilians evacuated and all that's left are the factions trying to take control of what's left. Yeah, excuses, but I didn't question it because it didn't seem so absurd (the place turned into a total shithole)

but there are like 60 people walking along the road while you are driving into town, and the guy driving you says that the plane he pointed out to you is the last one out of the country for a long time, so exactly where did all those civilians go?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom