Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 2, Still looking pretty cool.

.Sigurd

Educated
Luzur said:
The towns are neutral grounds, and there's the other mercenaries. The games states all the civilians evacuated and all that's left are the factions trying to take control of what's left. Yeah, excuses, but I didn't question it because it didn't seem so absurd (the place turned into a total shithole)

but there are like 60 people walking along the road while you are driving into town, and the guy driving you says that the plane he pointed out to you is the last one out of the country for a long time, so exactly where did all those civilians go?
That country is not a island, you know. :roll:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Clockwork Knight said:
The ones you buy on the store are new, accurate and reliable.
for about ten to twenty minutes of average action tops. wohoo.

Luzur

Good Sir
so soon after you get out of the cab? all of them around the country-side? in Africa?

there is always lots civilians living everywhere in combat zones in Africa.

but anyway, its a shitty game, good for a one hour, relaxed, constant gunning down people session.

Gerrard

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
fix: don't grab the rusty shit off the ground. Jackal sells those for a pittance for a reason. The ones you buy on the store are new, accurate and reliable.
They still break fast as shit.

What's even more ridiculous, the durability is relative to the amount of ammo you can carry, so the pneumatic rifle EXPLODES IN YOUR HANDS after some 25 shots.

SuicideBunny said:
Clockwork Knight said:
The ones you buy on the store are new, accurate and reliable.
for about ten to twenty minutes of average action tops. wohoo.

They still break fast as shit.

What's even more ridiculous, the durability is relative to the amount of ammo you can carry, so the pneumatic rifle EXPLODES IN YOUR HANDS after some 25 shots.

lolwat

Never happened to me. Flat out lie. FFS

Then again, I go to the warehouses every now and then to recharge. Not a problem since I'm going there to buy stuff anyway.

Gerrard

Arcane
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
I'm honestly surprised there weren't a couple mods to tweak respawning.
There's no way to make them, because Ubisoft doesn't give a fuck about fanbases.

lolwat

Never happened to me. Flat out lie. FFS
:M

Last edited:

Luzur

Good Sir
only one that came close to it was that trainer i found somewhere.

it had the option of one-shot kills, less degrading and spawning.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS TOTAL CONSOLETARD POPAMOLE TRASH FIRST OF ALL YOU CANT JUST SAVE ANYWHERE SO THAT MAKES IT EASIER PLUS THE ENEMIES TAKE TO MANY BULLETS TO KILL AND PLUS THEY RESPAWN THIS MAKES THE GAME WAY TO EASY FOR CONSOLEFAG GAMEFAG FAGS

A REAL HARDCORE PC GAMER WOULDNT BE SUCH A CUNT ABOUT THING S BEING TOO HARD I THINK OOPS SORRY BROS

this was probably the most disappointing game i ever played.

i remember i spent a good amount of time sneaking into town (no killing zone or w.e) for an assassination mission, isolated my target, and killed him silently with my knife, and automatically all the guards went hostile even though i was completely stealthy. fucking bullshit.

the way your merc buddies would help you was lame since it was a cutscene-spawn event - in the previews they made it seem like it was all happening on the fly, like your buddy just happened to be nearby or was actually fighting with you. the hype was strong with this one.

gunplay wasn't very tight and could have been a lot better.

everyone bitches about the respawning outposts... and i dont think its enough to be honest. easily one of the worst design decisions ever.

same mistake as assassins creed - lots of missions but theyre all basically the same and of ultimately little interest. ai is so fucked up you really cant do anything except go in guns blazing.

i dont recall the weapon degrading to be a real issue except how lulzy it was to pick up a gun from an enemy and discover it was apparently manufactured 200 years ago and carefully stored in an outhouse and then sanblasted with shit.

my friend had a funny bug where any time he would try and grab a health kit from the boxes his computer would blue screen. probably provided more entertainment than the actual game, as he tried to figure out ways to get the health kit without actually viewing it (because apparently rendering the kit inside was what caused the crash).

lol diamond munchkining and arms dealer mission grinding to get better guns. :rage:

Divinity: Original Sin
Occasionally Fatal said:
everyone bitches about the respawning outposts... and i dont think its enough to be honest. easily one of the worst design decisions ever.

It was not only the outposts, all of the bases, mansions, stations had respawning enemies. It would be at least interesting if you were able to be on one side or another, or create a faction for yourself. After taking the outpost, you would populate them with your own soldiers, or the side you were would dominate. And sometimes, the other factions would try to take them from you. but nooooo...

I began the game and was rescued in the slaughter house, and after I left and completed the mission, it was all filled with enemy AI. Oh, and in the beginning of the game, you come to town in a cab, pass through outposts and they don't shoot first. they treat the driver in a civil way. Is my main character such a wanted person? If so, why don't the bosses of each faction don't kill me at first sight? I'm the most wanted person there, and nobody even mention the jackal guy.

same mistake as assassins creed - lots of missions but theyre all basically the same and of ultimately little interest. ai is so fucked up you really cant do anything except go in guns blazing.

Well, I liked AC, but indeed the missions were repetitive. But at least, in one town, the missions presented some variety and distinction. And gameplay was kind of fun and wouldn't get old too fast, and objectives were in close vicinity. And repetitiveness only happened from town to town, each town had the same set of missions.

This brings the GTA-clone factor in. I loved GTA-III series (VC and SA). I finished them with 100%. A lot of similar games came out, but I don't think they never nailed the feature that made GTA great. I didn't play GTA4 and I don't know if they managed to be like it's predecessors.

But in GTA 3 to SA, not one mission was like the previous. Even when you had some context mission (like firetruck, pizza delivery, paper-boy) and thy had the same mechanics, they would have some variation. For example: the paper boy mission in SA. Each of the cities would have that kind of mission, but they would vary in difficulty, duration. The races would differ in time, duration. Not on mission looked the same. Even the main plot missions were varied.

but take the clones. Godfather? side missions were take the rackets. no variety. Scarface? take out gangs. make drug deals. Just Cause? take cities. Godfather 2? at least the enemies could take back their racketts... you get the idea.

GTA (and some of its clones) have one more thing: respawning idiot NPCs population. You could kill dozens of civilian AI, they would respawn later, but it never felt like a game braeaking concept. If you remain on screen, civilian AI would even react to that. You don't get that in FC2 because every AI is bad AI.

FC2 tries to be a sandbox, but fails like every GTA clone. Don't know if there is some variety in AC2... and looks like I'll never know because of the DRM.

i dont recall the weapon degrading to be a real issue except how lulzy it was to pick up a gun from an enemy and discover it was apparently manufactured 200 years ago and carefully stored in an outhouse and then sanblasted with shit.

Never a issue to me. the only thing it would happen is the weapon jamming. press reload and you're good to go. I used fallen AI weapons, and it exploded only once or twice. In fact, I belive the devs were so worried about realism in the "phisical world" and gameplay, that they forgot to add a story, details. The fire phisics is nice, the weather, driving is ok, and gunplay, though repetitive, is well done. The healing system is a novelty, though not so realistic as they intended. But all of this for nothing.

my friend had a funny bug where any time he would try and grab a health kit from the boxes his computer would blue screen.

Console port retardness: In the PC, you could save anywhere. Yet, you still hae safe-houses with save points, which were represented by blue health-kit boxes. Other problem was assingnig control keys: you can only leave a mounted gun if the letter "e" key is assigned for that function. If you assign to "f" for example, you could mount the gun, but not unmount.

made for joysticks, i believe.

And besides all that: the AI IS easy and predictable. respawning doesn't make the game difficult. It's a burden, because sometimes you have to kill them just to progress, and it's not so fun after dozens of times.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Darth Slaughter said:
It was not only the outposts, all of the bases, mansions, stations had respawning enemies. It would be at least interesting if you were able to be on one side or another, or create a faction for yourself. After taking the outpost, you would populate them with your own soldiers, or the side you were would dominate. And sometimes, the other factions would try to take them from you. but nooooo...

It wasn't the respawning that was the problem for me, it was the way that as soon as you drove past they would all stream to the negromobile and use voodoo powers to drive faster than your top speed and catch up with you every single time, forcing you to get out and tediously shoot them when you really really just want to go to your next mission

Luzur

Good Sir
or you would slam head first into another nigger patrolcar coming the other wayand have 2 gangs on you.

Gerrard

Arcane
Not to mention when their cars started having grenade launchers on them.
Fuck that.

Maybe if this thing had coop you could at least find some sucker to man the gun.

I find it fun. you can approach the bases from different points and try different guns. Sometimes, I like to go to a high place and rain down destruction with the flare gun. While they're panicking, I pick them off with a rifle. But grenades are the most useful weapon. Lob one under the rubberbad cars mentioned by Jimbob and things will go much faster (luckily, their voodoo powers aren't strong enough to summon a car out of thin air)

Quilty

Magister
pipka said:
you know, after all this fail mentioned, Far Cry 2 does sound so much fun

We need a KKK LP focusing on the extermination of the negro.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Clockwork Knight said:
I find it fun. you can approach the bases from different points and try different guns. Sometimes, I like to go to a high place and rain down destruction with the flare gun. While they're panicking, I pick them off with a rifle. But grenades are the most useful weapon. Lob one under the rubberbad cars mentioned by Jimbob and things will go much faster (luckily, their voodoo powers aren't strong enough to summon a car out of thin air)

It's fun when you're in the mood to experiment, but sometimes you've already been through 3-4 and you're on a mission and you've been driving across the map for forty minutes of the last hour of gameplay and you just please please want them to leave you alone for the love of god

starfish

Novice
Darth Slaughter said:
I didn't play GTA4 and I don't know if they managed to be like it's predecessors.

But in GTA 3 to SA, not one mission was like the previous.

Every goddamn mission in GTA4 was identical. Rockstar killed any semblance of fun in the name of hyper-realism. Go here, kill stuff, outrun the cops. I was so fucking pissed there weren't any really memorable missions (besides the bank heist) like stealing F-16s or breaking into the Hoover Dam, and they got rid of the higher Wanted tiers (the army is no longer summoned).

I don't know about the expansions since I sold that piece of shit the minute I beat it. Haven't played it but a lot of people recommended Saints' Row 2 if you want more along the lines of GTA: San Andreas.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
starfish said:
Haven't played it but a lot of people recommended Saints' Row 2 if you want more along the lines of GTA: San Andreas.

Yes. Saint's Row 2 had lots of fun and unique missions during the mainquest, a completely over-the-top story, fun side-activities like spraying poo over buildings in order to cause damage or jumping into cars in order to get paid by the insurance. It also has really awesome character customization.

If you liked San Andreas, you'll like Saints Row 2. It also had a better PC port than GTA IV, at least on my PC it worked better (some people say otherwise). Awesome game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom