Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Discover The Fate Of Atlantis ! (Completed)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Since IMAGESUCK has put codex on the black list, in order to see some of the images you must do this : LINK

Let's play the best Indiana Jones video game !

george.png
The best Indiana Jones video game ? Ah, you mean Indiana Jones in Revenge of the Ancients ! That great text adventure that came out in 1987 !

Shadow_Narackamous.jpg
Nope.

george.png
Then you're talking about Indiana Jones and the temple of Doom. An incredible platformer that was based on one of the best Indy movies ever !

Shadow_Narackamous.jpg
:roll: nope.

george.png
Ok, then you must be thinking of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Action Game. That awesome game where you always died in stage 2 !

Shadow_Narackamous.jpg
No, goddammit ! (and yes I always died in stage 2... curse those evil giraffes !)

george.png
Seriously man, this only leaves Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine. A groundbreaking action-packed 3D platformer that was almost as good as Tomb Raider !

Shadow_Narackamous.jpg
:facepalm: No you retarded old Ewok ! I'm talking about INDIANA JONES AND THE FATE OF ATLANTIS™ !

So... let's play one of the best adventure games evar and certainly the best game based on the Indy franchise. This game holds a special place in my heart. It was about 13-14 years ago that I bought a Lucasarts package containing Day Of The Tentacle, Sam & Max and Fate of Atlantis. Even though I loved all 3 of them, this game was --and still is-- one of my favorites.

IndianaJonesandtheFateofAtlantis.jpg

Indiana Jones and the Fate Of Atlantis is special not only because it had a great Indy story (The best one after Raiders and Last Crusade) but also because it had some innovative features for adventure games like multiple solutions to some "puzzles" and 3 separate paths to follow throughout the game. Unfortunately, these features are still considered "innovative" today.

Anyway, since I decided to check out SCUMMVM, I thought of playing again this little gem. And since I decided to play this again, I said what the heck, why don't I start another LP, maybe it will have better luck than Bloodnet and Dark Earth :ahem:.

scummvm00000.png

From a time when "LucasArts" and "awesome" could be found in the same sentence.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
CHAPTERS

1. [*]The Perilous Quest For The Mysterious Statue.
    [*]Confrontations Of A Cerebral Nature.
    [*]Madame Sophia's Outrageous Orations.
    [*]Fire, Flood, Pestilence. The Usual Things.
    [*]Old Legends Die Hard.
    [*]Think Big, Like The Americans.
    [*]Forked Paths To Atlantis.
    [*]Squab-On-A-Stick. Only 20 Dinars.
    [*]Words Of Wisdom For Monsieur Trottier.
    [*]Somewhere Deep In The Atlas Mountains.
    [*]Digging Holes In The Sand.
    [*]Taking The Bull By The Horns.
    [*]Searching for Ariadne's Thread.
    [*]Another rotting corpse on the road to glory.
    [*]Das Boot.
    [*]Alternate History - FISTS : Just A Simple Professor... With Nerves Of Steel.
    [*]Alternate History - FISTS : Unauthorized Holes In The Desert.
    [*]Alternate History - FISTS : You there, Amerikanner ! Kommen zie.
    [*]Alternate History - FISTS : One Rude Archaeologist Is Quite Enough.
    [*]Alternate History - WITS : A Spit In The Face.
    [*]Alternate History - WITS : Nazi Agents On Our Trail.
    [*]Alternate History - WITS : Divine Retribution.
    [*]Alternate History - WITS : Like A Homing Torpedo.
    [*]Alternate History - WITS : Hitchhiker's guide to Atlantis.
    [*]Inside The Lost City.
    [*]In Search For Orichalcum And Female Psychics.
    [*]Sex and the Lost City
    [*]The King That Shall Ever Be.
    [*]The Heart Of The Colossus.
    [*]The Fate Of Atlantis.

Ah, before continuing with this, let me earn a prestigious explicit warning sign:

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THIS CRYSTAL SCULL SHIT, MR LUCAS ? WHERE DID YOU COME UP WITH THIS ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY CRAPPY STORY, MR LUCAS ? WHY ON EARTH DID YOU HAVE TO BRING THAT ANNOYING LITTLE FUCK IN THE CAST ? AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THAT STARWARS BULLSHIT !! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

ExplicitContent.png

Splendid ! Now we're ready to go.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

scummvm00003.png

As in all Indy stories, we start with him searching for some ancient artifact. Who said that the University's Collection Archives aren't as dangerous as some trapped dungeon in the Amazon ?

scummvm00005.png

scummvm00007.png

Indy sure knows how to make an entrance...

scummvm00008.png

scummvm00009.png

The Perilous Quest For The Mysterious Statue

This is the game intro, folks. We must search through the massive collection, find the statue and escape with our lives.

scummvm00012.png

We could check around the room if we wanted, and find a statue of Shiva, a cheap imitation of Horus, a funeral urn and some other junk, but I guess we'll check out that "peculiar" statue instead...

scummvm00019.png

WHOOPS !

scummvm00021.png

scummvm00027.png

This is a hazardous place indeed. Among the various relics, statues and movie props, one thing stands out... a rope ! Maybe we could use it to climb dow-

scummvm00043.png

scummvm00046.png

scummvm00049.png

Did I mention that this game has some of the best 2D animations I've seen ?

scummvm00050.png

Well, at least this room seems less dangerous. Since we're looking for a certain statue, I guess we should look in the "Statues" section of the library...

scummvm00060.png

scummvm00061.png

scummvm00062.png

scummvm00064.png

Seriously, this building needs to become condemned.

scummvm00068.png

This isn't Indy's best day. Maybe one of these cat figurines is the one we're looking for ?

scummvm00071.png

scummvm00075.png

Crap ! A live one !

scummvm00077.png

scummvm00080.png

scummvm00084.png

We managed to reach the basement. Let's search the lockers, maybe our luck will finally change...

scummvm00095.png

Indy01.png
...here's what I've been searching for !

scummvm00099.png

Indy01.png
I wonder where Marcus picked it up.

Where indeed... Time to head back to Marcus and kick his ass for sending us into that deathtrap.

scummvm00111.png

Klaus.png
You don't look at all well, Dr. Jones.

Indy01.png
Exploring our collections can be dangerous, Mr. uhh... What was your name again ?

Klaus.png
Smith.

Smith my ass. We all know that's Rutger Hauer.

Klaus.png
Tell me... did you find a lock to match my key ?

Indy01.png
You bet I did.

At first I thought this was some kind of indecent proposition, but it seems Mr.Smith has brought a relic that resembles a key and he was looking for something it can be used on.

scummvm00119.png

scummvm00120.png

Klaus.png
Let's open it.

Indy02.png
Why not? It's an obvious fake.

Klaus.png
You may think so, doctor... but I believe we're opening a new chapter in history !

Let's see.

scummvm00126.png

scummvm00128.png

Indy01.png
I still think it's a fake.

scummvm00133.png

Whoa ! Mr. Smith pulled out a smith and wesson !

Marcus.png
REALLY, Mr. Smith !

Klaus.png
Stand back, gentlemen !

Indy05.png
I hope you have a getaway car waiting... you'll need one.

^ X-TREME Indy at work

scummvm00138.png

NAO INDY !

scummvm00140.png

scummvm00144.png

scummvm00146.png

scummvm00148.png

scummvm00158.png

scummvm00160.png

scummvm00163.png

A keen observation by Marcus...

Indy01.png
But we got his coat, Marcus. Hey, what's this...

scummvm00167.png

Marcus.png
Good lord, Indy, the man's some sort of agent from the third Reich. What does a SPY want with a PHONY STATUE ?

*sigh*

Indy02.png
*sigh* ...I lied, Marcus-- I don't think it's phony. I can't place the style, but it's OLD.

Marcus.png
Look what else our friend was carrying...

scummvm00176.png

Marcus.png
And there you are... in Iceland.

Indy01.png
Yeah... field supervisor for the Jastro expedition. My first real job.

Marcus.png
Who's the woman ?

Indy01.png
Sophia Hapgood. She was my assistant... a spoiled rich kid from Boston rebelling against her family.

Marcus.png
Where is she now ?

Indy01.png
She gave up archaeology to become a PSYCHIC.

Marcus.png
How odd.

Indy02.png
You can say that again.

Indy steps into the other room to change clothes. It seems the poor guy lives in this dump.

scummvm00189.png

scummvm00192.png

Indy06.png
I want to know more about that statue.

Indy07.png
You know Marcus, the coldest year of my life...

scummvm00196.png

GOTDAM ! Ancient statues, strange keys, Nazi spies, old flames gone cold, psychics... Can Indy cope with all this crap ? We'll find out in the next chapter where we'll try to meet with our old "assistant", Sophia, in NY city.

scummvm00201.png

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
YEEEEHAAAAW!

whip.jpg

This is, indeed, a glorious game, which I never finished since the statue bug in Atlantis :( But I should take a look at that SCUMMVM and maybe try again.

lightbane

Arcane
I hope this lp it's rather more succesful than Bloodnet or Dark Earth...

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Nice one! I recall playing this on my dad's old PC when I was a wee lad. Good times!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
One of my first adventure game experiences. Awesome game. :salute:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
And here I thought you were being sarcastic with the thread title :D

Awesome adventure game. But... which path are you going to take? Do your prestigious fellow Codexers get to choose? I vote for Team because having Sophia tag along is fun (and kinda makes more sense story wise) but Fists is more XTREME and wits is actually the most interesting in terms of puzzles and locales you get to visit.

Oh and I hope you're playing the CD version. Though... I don't think you could display text with it, so I guess you're not. Shame, as the voices were for the most part excellent.

Silellak

Cipher
Sceptic said:
But... which path are you going to take? Do your prestigious fellow Codexers get to choose? I vote for Team because having Sophia tag along is fun (and kinda makes more sense story wise) but Fists is more XTREME and wits is actually the most interesting in terms of puzzles and locales you get to visit.
I vote for making him do ALL THREE in exchange for a custom title or something else as equally worthless.

:thumbsup:

Maybe if he does that, I'll actually finish my Ultima VII SNES LP...but let's not go crazy here.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
lightbane said:
I hope this lp it's rather more succesful than Bloodnet or Dark Earth...

You just had to rub salt into the wound, didn't you ?

Silellak said:
Sceptic said:
But... which path are you going to take? Do your prestigious fellow Codexers get to choose? I vote for Team because having Sophia tag along is fun (and kinda makes more sense story wise) but Fists is more XTREME and wits is actually the most interesting in terms of puzzles and locales you get to visit.
I vote for making him do ALL THREE in exchange for a custom title or something else as equally worthless.

:thumbsup:

Maybe if he does that, I'll actually finish my Ultima VII SNES LP...but let's not go crazy here.

Let's see some updates in that Ultima LP first, and we'll talk about multiple paths. Obviously, the sensible choice is the team path...

Silellak

Cipher
ghostdog said:
Let's see some updates in that Ultima LP first, and we'll talk about multiple paths. Obviously, the sensible choice is the team path...
:oops:

I wish I could lie and say I've been spending my valuable time playing good games instead...but the last game I played was Alpha Protocol. :/

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Terrific game. Only thing I didn't understand is why the Nazis have green uniforms.

Divinity: Original Sin
Sceptic said:
Oh and I hope you're playing the CD version. Though... I don't think you could display text with it, so I guess you're not. Shame, as the voices were for the most part excellent.

All cd voiced game from lucasarts could display voice and text together. I think even Loom, the first fully-voiced game from LA, had that option.

And by the way, using scummvm would give you this choice if not possible originally.

I somehow finished this on the Amiga even though it had 10 disks or so. Plenty of arm exercise.

It is a crying shame they never made these types of games for Raiders of the Lost Ark and Temple of Doom. Last Crusade adventure was very good.

KalosKagathos

Learned
One of LucasArts' finest games. Shame it gets overshadowed by MI and DotT because it lacks teh funnies.

Did I mention that this game has some of the best 2D animations I've seen ?
Play a fighting game. Any fighting game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom