Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Witcher 1 remake from The Thaumaturge devs

Falksi

Arcane
A remake of W1 make no sense~

The systems of W1 has no problem whatsoever. Any attempt to fix it would ruin the old W1 feel.

The only thing that could do with a remake is graphic. But frankly W1 graphic dates well. If you have a good rig, you can run it beautifully. Even with current rig level.

Rebuilding in Unreal Engine just mean remaking the game. And they will not stay out of temptation to "make things better".

So yeah, this remake will be worse than the old game. Only reason is cashgrab.

ultra hd modded 4 years ago

Whilst I definitely agree about the graphics and vibe of the game, combat and game pacing need an overhaul.

That said I have absolutely 0 faith that this remake will do anything other than fuck the game up completely.

No, combat and game pacing do not need to be touched and they certainly don't need to be "modernized" and turned into another Dark Souls like shit.

I never said they needed to go the Dark Souls route, but the combat in 1 is boring as fuck. It needs extra dynamics adding to it big time.

And the pacing of the game sucks when you hit the swamp. Honestly, if you don't think that needs addressing you've got no life in you dude.

ArchAngel

Arcane
A remake of W1 make no sense~

The systems of W1 has no problem whatsoever. Any attempt to fix it would ruin the old W1 feel.

The only thing that could do with a remake is graphic. But frankly W1 graphic dates well. If you have a good rig, you can run it beautifully. Even with current rig level.

Rebuilding in Unreal Engine just mean remaking the game. And they will not stay out of temptation to "make things better".

So yeah, this remake will be worse than the old game. Only reason is cashgrab.

ultra hd modded 4 years ago

Whilst I definitely agree about the graphics and vibe of the game, combat and game pacing need an overhaul.

That said I have absolutely 0 faith that this remake will do anything other than fuck the game up completely.

No, combat and game pacing do not need to be touched and they certainly don't need to be "modernized" and turned into another Dark Souls like shit.

I never said they needed to go the Dark Souls route, but the combat in 1 is boring as fuck. It needs extra dynamics adding to it big time.

And the pacing of the game sucks when you hit the swamp. Honestly, if you don't think that needs addressing you've got no life in you dude.

I don't remember swamp being any worse than any other areas.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I fully expect combat in this remake to be completely changed, probably to some version of TW3. Mainly so it can play well with controllers. TW1 was fully playable with one hand on mouse and it was awesome.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Main prediction:
It will get axed.

Optimistic predictions:
They might iron out some "excited fanboy writing" present in TW1.
Okay-ish combat.

Pessimistic (realistic) predictions:
Itemization will be garbage.
Forget about shagging a random milkmaid.

"If you only knew how bad things really are" predictions:
Level scaling.
Black elves.

Last edited:

Peachcurl

Cipher
Main prediction:
It will get axed.

Optimistic predictions:
They might iron out some "excited fanboy writing" present in TW1.
Unremarkable, but not-terrible combat.

Pessimistic (realistic) predictions:
Itemization will be garbage.
Forget about shagging a random milkmaid.

"If you only knew how bad things really are" predictions:
Level scaling.
Black elves.
I'll put my bet on black dryad. :lol:

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Combat... Combat was superb, and the first thing that actually impressed me about it

If memory serves me right, all you had to do is sit and watch the witcher swriling his weapons around;
and maybe click LMB once in a while when a little sword icon lights up for Geralt to extend his combo animation.
Is this "QTE-light" shit the superb combat you were impressed by?
Indeed it is. The very first thing that hooked me to the game was Geralt's combat in the game. I would never have played through the game if not for the combat; combat that was lost in the sequels, and that's why I abandoned both of those games early on.

Geralt is a graduated Witcher; a competent combatant. The player only need click on his target to have him do his best to them. But Geralt has specialized combat behavior that weights his chances for fighting/handling groups, or focused upon single combat. That choice matters. Choice of potion(s) matters. The mini-game to click while the sword is lit is trivially simple, and yet the player cannot always succeed at it. It does give an effective reward—when you manage it; it never gets old because it's never guaranteed.

As mentioned above, in the Iso/3D view, Geralt can dodge (flip clean over an opponent); effected by a double-click to the destination.

In Witcher 2 and 3, the combat is simplified; degenerated into rolling on the ground, and blindly swinging at whatever is in front of him...including trees and walls. Geralt (a trained swordsman) would never behave like that in a fight; to thrash and flail about like that in a serious encounter. In Witcher 1 it's not even possible for the player to have him strike out at a non-target. Every absurd [out of character] action further damages the suspension of disbelief, and makes him out like an empty marionette instead of an experienced expert.

I was disappointed by the QTE's that replaced the bar fights in the sequel. Disappointed by the stripped down alchemy system, and the potion roulette that he played on his knees in the mud—hoping the ones he used might actually be of use in the near future, rather than having them within reach on a bandolier for use when the need became obvious.

Yes, I by far preferred the first game's mechanics to the sequels, especially the combat.

Last edited:

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Ah, Witcher. The only of the 3 that I have actually completed. Got sick during a long winter once and incredibly bored, which helped pushing through the not very appealing intro.
Once you get let loose in the city it was at its best. Agree on the music and atmosphere, that actually inspired me to pick up writing back then (not fan fiction).
Remake seems incredibly redundant even though I have to admit the game really seems to come apart at the seams at about mid act 3 with only very meager content in the last. I suppose a remake could touch up a bit there. There's no way that they can keep that initial spark alive though, even Witcher 3 already didn't have it anymore which is why I couldn't be bothered to play it for long.
Didn't care about the cards as such but as a completionist I wanted to "catch them all".

Combat doesn't really compare to Dark Souls in my opinion, it's apples and oranges.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Original music could be given a bigger budget, richer instrumentation and some extra tunes
W1 OST is already excellent
More money and a bigger orchestra wouldn't improve it
In the original real instruments were often replaced by synthesizers, likely for budget reasons.

Preferring cheap electronics to real instruments bc of brainless nostalgia and/or Kodex Kredits is retarded.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Original music could be given a bigger budget, richer instrumentation and some extra tunes
In the original real instruments were often replaced by synthesizers, likely for budget reasons.

Preferring cheap electronics to real instruments bc of brainless nostalgia and/or Kodex Kredits is retarded.
Deadfire proved that an orchestra can sound no better than the digitally mixed samples of the original PoE, when the music is badly orchestratred.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Hey, at the very least now you will be able to play it on Switch
honkhonk.png

Nah. I loved first Bitcher when it came out but playing on hard, without the crosshair fiery sword indicating you're supposed to click again, would probably make me drop the game.
On hard you still had the sound cue for when to click. In fact the sound queue was better placed/timed than the visual one actually making it easier to get the timing right. And the game's difficulty settings explained that on hard mode alchemy was actually required to survive contract fights -unlike for the easier settings where you just had to click at the right time and spam spells- and given that the alchemy/preparation was really the only involved part of the combat system you really gimped the experience by playing it on normal/easy.

This is probably more of a serious field test for UE5 than anything else. I imagine they don't want to fuck up the launch of TW4, cue this remake.
A smaller UE5 project before putting out the big W4/CP2099 would make sense to test out their processes/workflow with it, a lot of studios work that way. But this is being handled by an external studio. Whatever Fool's Theory learns and shares from the process with CDPR can't amount to much compared to having it developed in-house.

My money is on this being a Fallout situation where most modern gamers think Fallout 3 was Fallout 1. I don't think many people give a fuck about W2, let alone W1. Then again, I reaaaly don't understand the phenomenon of W3 either, so who knows.
The typical Witcher 3 fanboy doesn't give a shit about the older games, but will probably play a remake if it's anything like 3 (which it likely will be).
Which is why ideally this should've been made by a CDPR team in TW3's engine for a fraction of the cost by reusing most of TW3's assets and their existing familiarity with the processes/production ability when it was still fresh and aiming to be released late 2019/early 2020 to take advantage of the TV show's release (which was publicly announced in 2017 following TW3's success) - maybe even give CDPR some breathing room to delay/polish CP2077- and addressing the audience of hundreds of millions of customers on the PC/PS4/XBO/Switch platforms. Now on UE5 this is going to be inordinately more expensive to make, way more experimental, facing far higher expectations (as a PS5-gen game), addressing a far smaller market (PS5/XSX/RTX3080+) and handled by people CDPR presumably have little control over (Rise of the White Wolf?).

There is a very strong business case for a TW1 remake - there are over 39 million TW3 customers who'd never touch TW1 simply because of how it looks/feels but who might otherwise be interested in a TW1 remake if it smells anything like TW3. The TW1 concept of an amnesiac protag/Geralt re-learning the ropes of his profession and being re-introduced to the setting and the characters who actually make the setting was smart and should also make for a great starting point for the series and IP. However for it to be anywhere near as popular as TW3 (and TW1's main story is nowhere as good as the sequels') they need to make sure it at least ticks all the boxes/same scope as TW3 which customers expect.

Not having Roach/horseback riding could be the new not having a third person camera for instance. It might be tempting to cut it closer to the original by not having horse riding as it's easier/cheaper to make that way (even though a horse/roach was featured in some of the original's art - at least in the EE). But then things like how fast the player can move across a map is going to partly determine how big the map should be, the distances between "POI"s. If they make the maps for a pedestrian Geralt only to later have the feedback of a region/gameplay slice of the game come back negative for the lack of expected horsies it's going to be too late to go back and change the whole maps to accomodate the tacked on horse.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ah, Witcher. The only of the 3 that I have actually completed. Got sick during a long winter once and incredibly bored, which helped pushing through the not very appealing intro.
Once you get let loose in the city it was at its best. Agree on the music and atmosphere, that actually inspired me to pick up writing back then (not fan fiction).
Remake seems incredibly redundant even though I have to admit the game really seems to come apart at the seams at about mid act 3 with only very meager content in the last. I suppose a remake could touch up a bit there. There's no way that they can keep that initial spark alive though, even Witcher 3 already didn't have it anymore which is why I couldn't be bothered to play it for long.
Didn't care about the cards as such but as a completionist I wanted to "catch them all".

Combat doesn't really compare to Dark Souls in my opinion, it's apples and oranges.
Dark Souls as is you roll roll roll baby all day! And TW2 and TW3 picked that shit up and ruined it all. Switch between TW1 and TW2 was same shit like between Fallout 1/2 and Fallout 3.

FFTW

Educated
I beat The Witcher 1 ages ago and quite enjoyed it. Some aspects of it were quite rough though, so hopefully this remake will improve them. I also hope it comes to consoles this time, both 8th and 9th gen ones :).

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
What matters first and foremost is the harmony, not the tools used
Those synthesizers might be cheap in comparasion to richfag instruments you love wank so much about, but did their job perfectly and the music they produced is beautiful

I again point out to Demon's Souls as example
The original music was mostly made in a digital piano, and the remake was recorded by a professional orchestra
Yet the latter sounds like yet another derivative parody of what became of Soul's games soundtracks, while the original still has the same punch it had back in the day

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom