Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Witcher 1 remake from The Thaumaturge devs

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Absolutely. I have no patience to learn using the controller, and like Rusty says, I just don't find it fulfilling to master sequences of keypresses and memorize enemy animations so I can counter them on time.
Controllers aren't arcane tech
Even a nutless monkey could learn how to use a controller in 5 minutes
And the memorization argurment outside of pre-Bloodbone From games (DeS, DS1 and DS2) is bullshit as those game are flexible enough in their Character Progression system and Equipment options to allow Builds that don't require any sort of serious muscle memory
play a magic user and just spam magic missile...

And a controller isn't required to beat Dark Souls, I finished it for the first time earlier this year M+KB.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
All keys can even be easily binded to the keyboard - one hand in the ASDW area for movement, interactions and menus ; another hand in the NUM Pad for camera, attack/defense and weapon/magic switching

Gerrard

Arcane
  • Obligatory woke diversity injection
W1 was already diverse: Azar Javed was a Zerrikan :)
Bro
Ha ha oh wow, I don't even remember this. I'm pretty sure "He's directed by his instinct, he thinks with his huge, black cock!" is one line that is missing from the English version, or it would've caused much butthurt.
Wcnjnao.jpg

How's that for multicultural representation?
And this is for any retard who tihinks that "CDPR was always woke".

Lizard

Learned
W1 is a good game, W2&3 are even better.
Are they? (...better games, or just better graphics, or story depth?)
I lost interest in W2 sometime just after the Kraken fight; I stopped playing W3 before leaving the tutorial.
Another thing about W2 that was irksome, was that the new engine —forced— Geralt to enter and pass through any doorway he elected to open. Where opening the door at all, meant that he immediately marched through it. This was even once used as a trap; where it locked behind him, and he was then ambushed.
Yes! Someone else noticing the door shit. This among other things bothered me so much when playing it on release. What the fuck was that ui? W1's wasn't great, but it was way more functional for mkb. W2 had shit hit boxes: I would randomly take a ton of extra damage while fighting enemies, and it turned out that they were backstabbing me without being behind me because of how the hitboxes and animations worked. CDPR the no drm guys also released it on steam with securom while releasing it on GoG drm free. I've been telling myself I would replay W2 since they released the enhanced edition, but I still haven't yet. I only managed to get through the first area in W3 then do some quest stuff with Keira before getting bored. Every time I boot it up now I play if for like ten seconds then think to myself "nah" and play something else. I haven't played W1 in so long that I kinda feel like replaying it, it wasn't amazing but I liked it enough at the time and there were interesting things in it.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
I don't like the idea of a game purposely chopped up so that you're encouraged to play through it multiple times.
How exactly do you mean? The quote mentioned skippable encounters; do you mean optionally missing out, or opting out of one path for having chosen another? Or do you mean being unable to meander through all paths during one play through? :?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Why the fuck are people shilling for the combat in Witcher 1? It was trash.
Because combat in the first Witcher game, though not in the same class as the combat systems of Demon's/Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma, was nonetheless greatly superior to the combat found in the sequels, and people who enjoyed the original are justifiably concerned that the combat system in the remake will be based on that found in the second or third Witcher game.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I don't like the idea of a game purposely chopped up so that you're encouraged to play through it multiple times.
How exactly do you mean? The quote mentioned skippable encounters; do you mean optionally missing out, or opting out of one path for having chosen another? Or do you mean being unable to meander through all paths during one play through? :?
rusty just hates C&C and RPGs and has been trolling us all along.

That he loves Bethesda games where you can rise to the top of every faction, while at the same time ranting against "CYOAs" and "visual gamebooks" should've clued us in.

:positive:

Codex Year of the Donut
rusty just hates C&C and RPGs and has been trolling us all along.

That he loves Bethesda games where you can rise to the top of every faction, while at the same time ranting against "CYOAs" and "visual gamebooks" should've clued us in.

:positive:
It's not C&C, it's railroading.

Wunderbar

Arcane
The way TW2 did c&c was kinda impressive, but at the same time suboptimal.

It would've been alright if both versions of chapter 2 took place in the same location, but with a different cast of characters. Or if the Chapter 2's story elements weren't so crucial for understanding the plot of the game. Or if the whole game consisted of mutually exclusive missable areas. What's the point of C&C if you'll have to replay the whole game to see one single big chapter that you were forced to miss? May as well put a chapter select option, or an autosave that explicitly says "load this to check out on missed content".

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Because combat in the first Witcher game, though not in the same class as the combat systems of Demon's/Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma, was nonetheless greatly superior to the combat found in the sequels, and people who enjoyed the original are justifiably concerned that the combat system in the remake will be based on that found in the second or third Witcher game.
There is no concern, let alone justifiable. This game is most definitely going to be based on second/third entry, and there is no justification since people who enjoyed the original are free to replay the existing game, if they are not satisfied with already experiencing it in the past.

For those that remember, this kind of remake was already in the plan for PS3/X360, but it got canceled eventually. More info on https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/The_Witcher:_Rise_of_the_White_Wolf

While it would feature the same story as The Witcher, based on The Witcher series of the same name by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski, it would use a new engine, created in cooperation with Widescreen Games, and a new action-based combat system.

The game used an entirely new engine and would have featured a new action-based combat system that took full advantage of the console controller. As in the PC game, the player would have been able to make use of alchemy to create potions (used for a variety of effects), oils (to enhance swords), and bombs.

CGI trailer, so no gameplay unfortunately.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
It's not C&C, it's railroading.
If asked ( ;) ), I would say that a proper RPG should have more content than is possible to experience by a single PC. Such that their choices (even their starting PC choices) will open up and lock away the available outcomes, and opportunities based upon the character they are playing; honestly I would include the element of chance in that as well.

The Lawful Paladin is not going be befriended by the thieves guild, and then invited to come along with them on several high stake robberies, nor is the PC who turned them all in to the police before... so these should never show up again (or at all) in the PC's life, not unless it suits their current character's ability and lifestyle; they should be locked out, and never hinted at.
eg. a bit like this image depicts:
RPG-1.gif
Where the absence of black shows what one PC might see in the game, and where it overlaps with what another might see, but leaving plenty that neither ever see—might never be seen, unless they play a suitable PC that can manage it, and that one would have their own limits.

It goes the same for undiscovered secret doors and other areas... they simply never find them —unless they do. No guarantee that an NPC will show it to them via an alternative quest either.

Now of course this doesn't have to mean that the paladin will never see the inside of the thieves guild. Other quests may overlap the area (as with the sewers in Baldur's Gate), but not every area needs to (or should be) accessible to every PC.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
What's the point of C&C if you'll have to replay the whole game to see one single big chapter that you were forced to miss?
The point is exactly replayability
I mean the entire purpose of C&C is forcing the player to make decisions that will lead to distinct outcomes of gameplay and content
This a design element that is a natural fit to include in either narrative heavy or open-ended RPG's - as in the former you get to examine the narrative from multiple angles ; and in the latter, depth of interactivty and reactivity are king - besides, it's also a good way to break the law of diminishing returns
Yet most games that market C&C as a significant gameplay feature, do it in a such inconsequential manner that it's laughable. What's even the point of trying C&C, if when it actually matters you won't say "No" to players out of fear?
Witcher 2 is not perfect, but at least it has the balls to truly make use of C&C
Besides, unlike W1 and specially W3, each of W2 playtroughs don't overstay their welcome

Creative bankruptcy. First KotOR and now TW1? I swear, it's like they're running through a list of my favorites just to fuck with me.

Like others have said, there is room for improvement gameplay-wise. A lot of posts mention how great the alchemy system was for good reason, however, when playing on normal you hardly even had a reason to use it. I think I may have quaffed a handful of swallow and tawny owl potions on bosses and pretty much nothing else for the whole duration of the game. That's the main flaw of TW1, the game is deceptively easy on normal, and even hard mode doesn't remedy this much. I think I said this before but the difficulty of the Witcher crescendos in the fight with the Beast at the end of Act 1. Once you get the silver sword, the challenge takes a severe nose dive, regardless of difficulty setting. This is a shame because I happen to like the combat system, it just needs some minor tweaking. I think the addition of an active parry (similar to the active block in in fist fighting) would have done wonders for the melee combat.

Another thing that could be improved is the flow of dialogue. This isn't an issue with the actors themselves, most are excellent, rather it's the lack of direction that shows in some conversations with NPCs. It's like the actors had only received their own lines for the conversation and weren't told whether the mood supposed to be melancholic, serious or humorous. This doesn't happen all the time, but often enough to notice. Seemed to mostly happen with Geralt's dialogue and I wonder if it wasn't due to changes in the Enhanced Edition. I suspect they probably got Doug Cockle on the horn, tossed him some extra lines to clean up some scenes, but neglected to refresh him on the context of the dialogue, which resulted in some abrupt non sequiturs and other random disjointedness.

Lambach

Arcane
Who... who asked for this? What's the target audience here?

:neveraskedforthis:

Are there really that many Twitcher 1 fans who were howling for that game to get remade? Are there really that many normies who only played Twitcher 3 and got so invested into the franchise that they expressed the desire for a remake of a (let's be honest) janky-as-fuck-looking RPG from 2007 instead of just watching the Netflix adaptation crap to scratch that itch?

Or maybe the idea is to release it just in time to remind people of the franchise and raise hype for the rumored (Geralt-free) Twitcher 4?

Glop_dweller

Prophet
A lot of posts mention how great the alchemy system was for good reason
The reason to most (I assume; it is for me) is not the option of alchemy itself, but the mechanic that allows for greatly improved potions by carefully selecting the base and specific choices among suitable ingredients... where both substances will work, but one will work better than the other.
It is absent from Witcher 2.

Who... who asked for this?
Is it something they have to renegotiate licensing for? Is it not basically a reissue with technological improvements?
If so, then perhaps they are the one's who want it made; want to be able to sell it all over again, with minimal fuss.

BruceVC

Magister
Who... who asked for this? What's the target audience here?

:neveraskedforthis:

Are there really that many Twitcher 1 fans who were howling for that game to get remade? Are there really that many normies who only played Twitcher 3 and got so invested into the franchise that they expressed the desire for a remake of a (let's be honest) janky-as-fuck-looking RPG from 2007 instead of just watching the Netflix adaptation crap to scratch that itch?

Or maybe the idea is to release it just in time to remind people of the franchise and raise hype for the rumored (Geralt-free) Twitcher 4?
Hi Lambach

Great question and I think you have answered it. With the success of the Netflix series this is a good time for a remake for an older game like W1

New fans dont necessarily understand the fun and nostalgia of older mechanics so sometimes updates are required, are you worried they going tp drop the Romance card system?

But it will also be a good investment for the millions of established fans, I will definitely buy it. I have only played W1 once so it makes sense

Lambach

Arcane
are you worried they going tp drop the Romance card system?

I'm not worried about anything, I was just wondering what the business strategy is here.

With the success of the Netflix series this is a good time for a remake for an older game like W1

Can you name one example of when a successful TV Show massively raised its audience's interest in a video-game based on the same setting?

But it will also be a good investment for the millions of established fans, I will definitely buy it. I have only played W1 once so it makes sense

Yeah, "millions of established fans" is a bit of a stretch. Out of something like 15-ish people I know who are fans of the show, only two have played the game, and I say "game" in singular on purpose because it was only the third one. It would take Cyberpunk-levels of marketing and hype to get them interested in a remake of a game from 2007.

BruceVC

Magister
are you worried they going tp drop the Romance card system?

I'm not worried about anything, I was just wondering what the business strategy is here.

With the success of the Netflix series this is a good time for a remake for an older game like W1

Can you name one example of when a successful TV Show massively raised its audience's interest in a video-game based on the same setting?

Yeah, "millions of established fans" is a bit of a stretch. Out of something like 15-ish people I know who are fans of the show, only two have played the game, and I say "game" in singular on purpose because it was only the third one. It would take Cyberpunk-levels of marketing and hype to get them interested in a remake of a game from 2007.
During the GoT TV series there were several GoT games launched?

https://www.pcgamer.com/every-game-of-thrones-game-you-can-play-on-pc/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom