Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper Why am I so autistic?

nikolokolus

Arcane
If evil in games was presented as less moutache twirling, "I like to kill baby kittens for fun" and made doing good more costly I'd have a helluva lot less incentive to play it good. Unfortunately evil usually equals drooling stupidity or maniacal psychopathy so its almost never interesting.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
I think Witcher would give OP a heart attack.

so many good intentions twisted or punished.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Postal 2 is actually a pretty great game for people with the can't-do-evil strain of autism. The game's at it's most fun when you're just trying to buy milk or go to the mall but end up having to run away from a city-wide firefight.

The point is that as the days pass, it becomes impossible to be the good guy and you're forced to mass slaughter everyone around.

god damn shitposters

Starting with you asshole

Cassidy

Arcane
My favorite evil game isn't a RPG, but Tropico, because it's the realistic, lining your pockets with taxpayer's money and crushing the people under jackboots as a tinpot dictator kind of evil.

Cliché evil overlords and edgy Elliot Rodger clones are overdone.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
I think Witcher would give OP a heart attack.

so many good intentions twisted or punished.

Care to enlighten us on which ones those were?

I can at least think of one. If you don't kill the arrogant entitled Lavallette heir in combat at the start, he will try finding and helping his young step sister later in the game. A captain goes down with his ship and sparing this prick goes against this righteous principle.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
Helping the Scoiatel only to find them acting more like Texas hells angels in some parts of the country, when they presented themselves as humanitarian freedomfighters, the kid that gets hanged in the arson quest if you try to appease both sides, in the first game Shani wont talk to me anymore because of some things i did, i assumed our relationship would let her gloss over a couple philosophical differences, it seems like every other quest in which i try to be a white knight it ends up causing at least as much harm as if id took no action, and sometimes when im trying to be an asshole it might be just what the doctor ordered.
the entire town that can be destroyed in the witcher 2.
the choices and consequences-of tend to be smaller dramas and not on the order of causing world-shaking events or upheavals, because Geralt just isnt important or Godlike enough to be a total Chosen One.
I often dont realize the results of actions in Witcher games because theyre often so well written and scripted in (as well as delayed from the actions that triggered them) unless I read about someone else's playthrough or reload from a MUUUCCCHH earlier game and try different choices. but most of the time its so smooth it can seem like no branches were written in at all.

but n/m. tl;dr im sure you know plenty about them so im probably not saying anything you dont know.

treborSux

Arcane
The only time I ever remember being emotionally involved in a video game was a platformer, Disney's Magical Quest on SNES. You had to rescue Pluto from a wizard and when you get game over, you have to look at an imprisoned dog. What kind of monster would stop playing?

The game overs in the Final Fight series also made you feel like a total jackass for not continuing, too.

I wonder if the criminal organization is being secretly led by Dick Dastardly. Where's the train tracks?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Any aspiring cRPG designers reading this, you should totally make it so that when a player casually loots a peasant's house, the next time they return they'll find the happy family hanging from a tree. Or the father selling his daughter to random passer-bys.

Papa Môlé

Arcane
In most generic rpgs, most random npcs are purposely written to be innocent victims who the hero is clearly intended to help. If you get off on ignoring that and deciding to murder poor, struggling farmers for no reason besides the giggles, well, I won't say I'm certain about it but if I had to wager on it I'd bet you are an asshole in real life as well. Moreso, since you are posting on RPGCodex.

Now if the game is either entirely for fucking around in like saints row or is shoving in your face what a nihilistic grimdark world it is where absolutely everyone is a degenerate shitbag then killing everyone for lulz or otherwise is just part of playing the game. If anything, it's combatfags who ignore everything else in the world other than what is maximally efficient as defined by the arbitrary game rules (instead of just, you know, cheating) that are behaving in an autistic manner.

Lemming42

Arcane
The point is that as the days pass, it becomes impossible to be the good guy and you're forced to mass slaughter everyone around.

It's possible, although increasingly challenging but you can do it:
Postal2-Jesus-Rank.png

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In most generic rpgs, most random npcs are purposely written to be innocent victims who the hero is clearly intended to help. If you get off on ignoring that and deciding to murder poor, struggling farmers for no reason besides the giggles, well, I won't say I'm certain about it but if I had to wager on it I'd bet you are an asshole in real life as well. Moreso, since you are posting on RPGCodex.

Now if the game is either entirely for fucking around in like saints row or is shoving in your face what a nihilistic grimdark world it is where absolutely everyone is a degenerate shitbag then killing everyone for lulz or otherwise is just part of playing the game. If anything, it's combatfags who ignore everything else in the world other than what is maximally efficient as defined by the arbitrary game rules (instead of just, you know, cheating) that are behaving in an autistic manner.
What about the games without player being portrayed as THE CHOSEN OF THE SAVIOUR OF THE WORLD, but some random dude in the midst of events who can't make ultimately good choices, let's say already mentioned Witchers where you get those "morally grey" C&C, or Gothic, where you often act against others, whom also have good intentions, or Pathologic, where it's extremely difficult to save a lot of people and putting them above yourself might yield worse (or better!) results, but you never know that beforehand and the consequences of your actions are delayed in time? Am I asshole for not sharing antibiotics in Pathologic to another person knowing I might need them myself later? Am I a dick for not siding with Scoiatel, believing more harm will come from an uprising than good? Or when choosing the New Camp that constantly robs the Old Camp, because it's not under a tyranny?

currently in a new vegas playthrough going the mr house route for the first time

reason im doing that is im a professional courier dammit and i see a job through to the end

if deeds are done that is considered 'evil' then so be it ive got a reputation to uphold that no bullet to the brain can stop

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I can not commit an evil action within an RPG without feeling like a horrible person. It all started when I sold Sulik from Fallout 2 into slavery for about 1200$ during the late 90's. I realized what I had done; I started crying uncontrollably. Mom took my Fallout 2 disc after this. I still played the fuck out of Fallout 2, but I never did anything evil.

I am still like this today; I won't cry if I do anything bad but if I do something that is "evil" 9/10 times I will restart the game, no matter where I am, even if I have put 100+ hours into the game. Is anyone else like this?

j8eh4m.jpg

Kalasanty11

Learned
Unfortunatelly, often it just doesn't pay off more to be evil rather then goody-two-shoes. Or just selfish. "So, you are saying that you don't need the money we offered you? What a great person you are, have this powerful artifact instead".

Papa Môlé

Arcane
Disturbing amount of people subscribe to the Bethfan "RPGs are about putting YOURSELF in the world of [game]" shit.

People have been making self-inserts in tabletop games before there were even CRPGs at all. It's just one style of playing. I personally think that gets boring but whatever.

This is the whole problem with the "what is RPG" thing, is that not only do you have storyfags, combatfags, explorefags and every other kind of lovely faggot imaginable you don't even have a basic agreement on how to even "roleplay" let alone what to do while you are "roleplaying". The label RPG mostly is an accidental thing that was generated in a certain nerd subculture but that subculture consisted of everyone who was interested in something "not mainstream" whether that was making spreadsheets of optimal stats for characters or pretending to be a good dark-skinned elf. Now that RPGs are more mainstream it's obvious there isn't any real coherent understanding of what they are. Something about leveling up and pretending basically.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
So i decided to do dirty work for Decker, i needed the cash. I didn't care as long the pay was decent.
I already robbed the merchant and his wife for the Thieves Cirlce and then decided to keep both, the loot and the cash. The boyscout wannabe thieves had to die. So i didn't even blink an eye, when my first assignment was to eliminate the merchant couple. I showed up at night and let them see it coming. She begged me for her life while her husband was bleeding out. I made it quick for her. I am not a savage. It's nothing personal, just business.

As i was counting the cash for an hour of honest work, Decker briefed me on my next target. Some cultist woman, interfering in local affairs. I skulked around the "church", asked questions, tried to blend in. The countless eyes of all the pilgrims made me do it the hard way. No witnesses, that's how you stay on top of the game in this world.

I started to really like it. I thought I was good at it. So when Decker did not have any more work for me, i switched sides. The sheriff questioned me warily, but i am smooth talker. He needed someone to get the things done and i was available. First, Decker lost his henchman in a bloody bar fight. Then i came for him. He was waiting, smiling in the shadows. It wasn't much of a fight, but i got a few scratches and the glory of a local hero. Good people of the Hub were buying me drinks. "Hero of the wastes", "last, best hope of humanity" they called me. I moved on, as always. There are more jobs out there. And i always make my cut...

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
People have been making self-inserts in tabletop games before there were even CRPGs at all. It's just one style of playing. I personally think that gets boring but whatever.
Self-inserts aren't always a bad thing in tabletop, if you're willing to roleplay not only who you are now / who you hope to be, but what you might do faced with hard choices that threaten that. And then when your choices and their consequences change your character, maybe it has an impact on you / your thinking afterwards.

I played an idealist / pro-democratic leader in a friend's campaign focusing on survival, ended up getting fucked by others (players and NPCs) not respecting group decisions. My character realized that democratic decisions need to be enforced so they're respected, and finally became a benevolent dictator doing bad things for the good of his people. Had to murder player characters for the good of the group. Nice turn.

But usually that's not possible in cRPGs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom