Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper Why am I so autistic?

I don't like playing as the bad guy too much either, I imagine it's mainly because games don't really give you decent reasons for it so it feels like being a dick for the sake of being a dick, which is funny but leads to detaching and disinterest. I'd say it makes me feel "un-immersed" but I don't want to look like a gigantic faggot, so I won't.

zwanzig_zwoelf

How do you act when you eat meat? Do you feel the pain of the animal whose flesh you're devouring atm?
Do you feel the pain of the tree when you're eating fruits?
DO YOU FEEL HOW YOUR IMAGINARY GIRLFRIEND FEELS WHEN SHE SUCKS YOUR COCK? HOW DO YOU LIKE IT?

Lhynn

Arcane
I let the werewolf eat the woman and just walked away. If i ever do a evil play-through ill save her.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
I mostly play with female characters and they're like 70-30 in favour of 'good'. Played plenty of 'evil women' and didn't have a problem with it. But I don't think I've ever played a male character that wasn't 'good'.:S

mondblut

Arcane
Posting in before retardo.

Also, summoning mondblut .

The OP is right, for all the wrong reasons. Everyone remotely genre-savvy will assert that acting "evil" in a CRPG (in terms of quest choices and/or maintaining "reputation" when applicable) is shooting yourself in the foot, you just end up with lesser rewards and fewer options. Can't help it when developers are indoctrinated that unpurged thoughts are ought to be punished. In this particular case, selling Sulik for pathetic 1000 caps means depriving oneself of one of the few actually useful combat dummies for the rest of the game. A dumb act indeed.

Now, killing the questgiver for xp and loot after doing his quest in the most paladinlike fashion is a smart move indeed, since a typical game would not tag you as "bad person, do not help" for something done outside the dialogue tree. Unless reputation is concerned, so make sure there is a plenty of beggars around to give coins or water bottles to :smug:

He's just pretending for some reason. I bet he will be the first one to call beers for a whole party, if we ever meet.

No, I am too much of a cheapskate to buy rounds. I do tend to be the first one to invite to crash at my place once the beers run out, though.

Lemming42

Arcane
It's not even the fact that I can't do outright evil things myself, but I must prevent ALL bad things from happening, so I could never let dogmeat die from the force fields, for example.

I have this too. I bet most of my reloading saves in games isn't as a result of dying, it's as a result of desperately trying to save inconsequential NPCs from death.

There's a stupid quest in New Vegas where you can save three people from Cottonwood Cove's slave cage and they run across the map to reach the Mormon Fort or whatever. In a playthrough ages ago, I went to the Mormon Fort long after doing the quest and found only two of them there, the third one having died on the journey. I hate getting to that part of the game on replays, because I'm compelled to bodyguard them across the entire frigging map in real-time just to avoid that happening again.

I've never played Deus Ex as a non-pacifist either, at least not since the first time I played it as a pacifist. Blowing people to pieces just feels weird and uncomfortable when you know that it was entirely your choice to do so and the game gave you an alternative. I did a pacifist run of Fo1, Fo2 and FNV recently too and going back to shooting everyone in the dick feels kind of uncomfortable after that.

I play NV with a "Sunny Smiles as a follower" mod. During the powder gangers siege on Goodsprings, her dog died. It took me a few minutes of deliberation before deciding not to reload the entire battle. At least it should be enough motivation to convince her into following me and destroying them all. :M

I mostly play with female characters and they're like 70-30 in favour of 'good'. Played plenty of 'evil women' and didn't have a problem with it. But I don't think I've ever played a male character that wasn't 'good'.:S

:updatedmytxt:

"Patient lets out his inner demons when acting on the role of a fraulein. Veddy interesding".

Last edited:

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Same reason we like to play these kind of games in the first place: the immersion. As in, feeling it's actually YOU who's doing the thing, and not your character.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I can never do evil stuff in games either. I just can't and when I accidentally do I need to reload because I feel so bad about it. It goes so far that in games where you play assholes I try to LARP them as if they have a good heart deep within :D

Lemming42

Arcane
Postal 2 is actually a pretty great game for people with the can't-do-evil strain of autism. The game's at it's most fun when you're just trying to buy milk or go to the mall but end up having to run away from a city-wide firefight.

Well, most RPGs which I played have really, really derpy "Bioware evil" path, sadly not limited to actual Bioware games. Even PST's evil path was random and nonsensical. Ironically, only game where evil path was derpy but fun, was the first KOTOR. Killing Carth alone was worth it, but it has some other fun moments too. Not much of an achievement tho', it's just their Jedi path was way worse, so Sith looked good in contrast.

But generally, while I am a completionist, I can't bring myself to bother with evil paths, they are too rude and stupid. Why do kwan devs so often seem to think that evil equals rude idiot robbing children from their candies I can't honestly comprehend.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
I can not commit an evil action within an RPG without feeling like a horrible person. It all started when I sold Sulik from Fallout 2 into slavery for about 1200$ during the late 90's. I realized what I had done; I started crying uncontrollably. Mom took my Fallout 2 disc after this. I still played the fuck out of Fallout 2, but I never did anything evil.

I am still like this today; I won't cry if I do anything bad but if I do something that is "evil" 9/10 times I will restart the game, no matter where I am, even if I have put 100+ hours into the game. Is anyone else like this?
why does this bother you?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I can never do evil stuff in games either. I just can't and when I accidentally do I need to reload because I feel so bad about it. It goes so far that in games where you play assholes I try to LARP them as if they have a good heart deep within :D
Reloading is ok, but the OP is having the need to RESTART the game from the beginning if he accidentally makes an "evil" choice, and that's... unhealthy.

This probably is a sort of OCD, which in turn is related to autism. In the past when I sometimes realised that something didn't go exactly as I wanted in the game, or that I had missed something, I would either reload a much earlier save --to get some shit that wasn't even crucial to the game-- or even ragequit. In the more recent years I've managed to not give many fucks about such things, and continue to play the game, if the actual gameplay is enjoyable. I've also trained myself to resist autism-driven gameplay aspects of games, which has helped a lot, since now I don't "have" to play for 50h a game that I don't actually like.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Empathy is something unknown to autistic people.
What you really are is a pussy.

pippin

Once again:

Both devs and (many) playws have this pipsqueak mentality which prevents from true morality differences in video games. Consider Mass Effect, where good vs evil was a gimmick. Many people complained about Renegade Shep getting more and more psycho as time and plot went by. Mass Effect trilogy's dev process was something of a trainwreck but it kinda illustrate my point: most people just want to live the heroic fantasy, despite the setting or story. Everyone wants to be a(n) hero.
This is why I like STALKER a lot. You just shoot everyone and nobody cares. Nobody should.

Perkel

Arcane
66HrJnp.jpg

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I have this too. I bet most of my reloading saves in games isn't as a result of dying, it's as a result of desperately trying to save inconsequential NPCs from death.

I play NV with a "Sunny Smiles as a follower" mod. During the powder gangers siege on Goodsprings, her dog died. It took me a few minutes of deliberation before deciding not to reload the entire battle. At least it should be enough motivation to convince her into following me and destroying them all. :M.

I have this disorder too, where I check the bodies after the fight to see if any named NPC died, after which I have to reload no matter how pointless the NPC in question is.

On my current playthrough of New Vegas though, I sided with the Gangers. After the battle, I collected all the bodies and threw them onto a cart, just for fun. For some reason the Powder Gangers have despawned, but the Goodsprings militia haven't.

KDBEeCf.jpg

One of Doc Mitchell's body parts wouldn't budge though, so I had to leave it in front of Chet's store. Every time I go to sell loot to Chet, it's there, like some macabre decoration. :lol:

BVM3SL3.jpg

Thanks for patching me up, Doc. Now YOU are the one in need of a hand!

Darkzone

Arcane
What the fuck is wrong with all the people here? ---"I kill millions of NPS and enemies in the game, but i cannot play to be evil". --
Killing living beings without the necessity to kill is in the definition of evil, end even if there is the necessity to kill, it can be evil. You are evil per default, and at least i know this.
Cunt's you should do some Kant p.28 and following: Grounding for the metaphysics of Morals
"So here is the practical imperative: Act in such a way as to treat humanity, whether in your own person or in that of anyone else, always as an end and never merely as a means." (Immanuel Kant: Grounding for the metaphysics of Morals. 1785)
For the lesser blessed: Your actions are not only the means to an goal, but are also a goal itself.
Sulic question what is worse? To be a slaver or to kill the slavers. Only retarded people answer "to be a slaver", because killing is per definition worse than to capture someone and sell him. You just treat a crime with a worse crime, if you kill the slavers.

I play whatever i think is best, or as the end result correspond to my perception of how the end goal should be. I kill without mercy, but mostly as an avenger and even those who regret their former deeds with the moto: Where is justice, where is punishment? I'm justice! I'm punishment! Because i know that in this games, i cannot fulfill the second presentation of the categorical imperative. I steal if it is necessary, and i would kill innocent people if it is necessary. In games the necessity justifies the means, and people die, like in the wastelands of fallout. And this are not real humans, just some objects with pixels representation and with some scripts behind them.
But the question is would i do this also in real life? Most probable yes, if i had the might and could not suffer any prosecution, like you ALL. Like any one who thinks that in some cases of crimes the death sentence is justified or some wars are justified or even self defence with deadly means.
People get real and be honest at least to yourself.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I also always try to do good things in RPGs, because I always try to help people in real life, so I try to help people in games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom