Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper Why am I so autistic?

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
:smug:

sser

Arcane
Developer
I killed a seven year old girl in Crusader Kings II. Her father had rebelled against me and we stole away with her when we took his keep. I let the man live, though.

That's not how hostages are supposed to work...

I don't like the fact that all necromancers, warlocks, and sorcerers in RPG's have to be evil aligned. Dialogue options and actions are all severely limited.

It depends on how the setting works. for example, if raising the dead just involves manipulating corpses like puppets on strings, it's not necessarily an evil (if distasteful) act. But if the bodies are animated by enslaved souls the necromancer forcibly shoved inside them, it's hard to come up with a convincing explanation for the good guy necromancer to exist. Sure, you could come up with more complicated situations, like a nice mage reluctantly zombifying dead soldiers during an orc siege to keep the entire city from being destroyed, but generally nice people don't meddle with dark magicks.

OP started the thread seeking help for being a bleeding heart pussy.

Codexers confess en masse to being bleeding heart pussies.

:kingcomrade:

The glittering gems of hatred have a soft marshmallow core.

Last edited:

A_Leftist_Pig?

Scholar
Possibly Retarded
I can not commit an evil action within an RPG without feeling like a horrible person. It all started when I sold Sulik from Fallout 2 into slavery for about 1200$ during the late 90's. I realized what I had done; I started crying uncontrollably. Mom took my Fallout 2 disc after this. I still played the fuck out of Fallout 2, but I never did anything evil.

I am still like this today; I won't cry if I do anything bad but if I do something that is "evil" 9/10 times I will restart the game, no matter where I am, even if I have put 100+ hours into the game. Is anyone else like this?

How the fuck is that autistic? I guess you just have a shitty ability to suspend your belief and go roleplaying in a fantasy world.

Sometimes I enjoy playing a character that's "me" and then I take some of the decisions a bit more seriously, it's actually quite fun.

I was a bit more like you when I was a kid. I didn't especially like to trick the AI into doing something really foolish and dumb nor would I play my character like a complete asshole.

(Also obvious hyperbole is obvious, but it's an interesting enough topic to take seriously).

I actually think that a lot of people actually do project their real selves when playing roleplaying games.
If you've ever played serious full-loot online MMORPGs with diplomacy and all of that you can really notice it.
Even "hard core roleplayers" tend to have certain roles that fit their profile most of the time.

Last edited:
I killed a seven year old girl in Crusader Kings II. Her father had rebelled against me and we stole away with her when we took his keep. I let the man live, though.
Well, Crusader Kings actually gives a player both freedom to be asshole sociopath your average medieval ruler and incentive to kill your political opponents. Moreover, if someone plays as a "nice" monarch, he'll play with severe handicaps. I must've killed dozens of people trying to eliminate claimants which weren't useful to me, to put on a throne those who are. Including children and elderly. But in the game they are little more than pictures with stats, player character often never had any interactions with them, so it's way simpler to view assassinations and all from gamist perspective.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I think this thread is as good as any to post this:

MotB evil path is WAY more interesting than the good path. Being evil is fun, OP is a pussy. :D

I can not commit an evil action within an RPG without feeling like a horrible person. It all started when I sold Sulik from Fallout 2 into slavery for about 1200$ during the late 90's. I realized what I had done; I started crying uncontrollably. Mom took my Fallout 2 disc after this. I still played the fuck out of Fallout 2, but I never did anything evil.

I am still like this today; I won't cry if I do anything bad but if I do something that is "evil" 9/10 times I will restart the game, no matter where I am, even if I have put 100+ hours into the game. Is anyone else like this?

Yeah, I have this shit. Which is annoying because I want to replay some games (that have a big replayability potential) differently, but can't, so every replay is almost exactly the same.

It's not even the fact that I can't do outright evil things myself, but I must prevent ALL bad things from happening, so I could never let dogmeat die from the force fields, for example. And not only that, I had some huge problems with dogmeat at the oil rig, because you can't go in there with anyone since it turns the whole base red. So after a lot of deliberation, I decided just for this playthrough I'd give dogmeat a quick and painless death by gibbing him with a bozar at point blank range. He soaked in 500 damage, let out a pitiful whine and didn't die. Dem feels I felt, holy shit. Reloaded the game super fast and didn't try that ever again. Eventually, restarted the game entirely and decided not to meet dogmeat at all. Yep, I'm autistic too.

I am autistic, too. And I have no problem doing evil actions in my video games.

I blame this on my parents, too. Just like everything else. Including breathing...

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Hey bro, I think you miss-typed "http://www.tumblr.com", up there in the address bar.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
The problem stems from proper context. Everybody is the hero of their own story. Good paths usually paint this Hero's Journey style story and people dying along the way in non-melodramatic fashion feels off and "breaks" the experience. Evil paths in rpgs are usually just random cruel acts strewn together to show that you are a bad person.

If you want to make a roleplaying from the perspective of a bad person you need an initial event to empathize or at least connect the player to him in the same way you need something to connect to the good guy (be it an event or just an interesting world). Think "The Count of Monte Cristo" where Edmond Dantès tale of relentless vengeance ends up hurting both the innocent and the guilty. You could make such an RPG where your character has singular goal for which he/she will do absolutely anything to achieve (and this would involve mostly "evil" choices).

I still don't think there is a proper "evil" protagonist RPG but the closest thing that comes to mind is the Legacy of Kain series, where both protagonists are willing to pretty much destroy anything in their path to achieve their goals (and killing humans doesn't even register on their radars as something morally troublesome most of the time).

sigma1932

Augur

haven't read the thread yet, but would just like to point out that nothing in the above post has anything to do with autism.... which, if anything, would INCREASE emotional detachment, not make you more of an oversensitive pussy that you've suggested being. Seriously, grow the fuck up... the world isn't all fucking queer-ass rainbows and cherry fucking pie.... helping people in real life in the way you're usually presented as helping people in a game is more likely to cause them to become/continue being co-dependant fuck-ups.

That aside, I have a hard time not playing the evil side in games because the "good" side is written from such a sickening hollywood liberal hippie bullshit standpoint that I just can't take it, and instead prefer the blunt honesty of the evil side-- even if that means I have to play the mindlessly psychotic thug who's only motivation for being evil is to be evil... then gain, while most people's favorite star wars characters are Han Solo or Luke Skywalker... or even that emo crybaby Vader... my favorite character has always been the Emperor... but I digress...

The most I'll do is reload due to my completionist OCD not allowing partial-success... like in Mass Effect 1 where all the fucking colonists were being mind-controlled by the giant ancient turnip... I HAD to save them all... not because it was morally the "right" thing to do... but because it was the best possible outcome alignment-point-wise, and I wanted the extra free persuasion point for my next playthrough.

Divinity: Original Sin 2
That depends on initial character design. But generally evil choices are more fun for me, they have more... unexpected outcomes. I tend to RP evil/opportunistic/brutal characters in most mainstream games. Just because I know they rarely allow that. And I can bash the game for not allowing me to roleplay properly.

After I make someone slave for ridiculous profit, rob some peasant, frame him in one of my many crimes or kill someone's child because that's fastest way to achieve X, I mwahahaha like a madman. If the game punishes me I don't really care - bonus if game tests me before so I can still get away. Min/max is not the reason why I play RPGs.

It's liberating, especially when most of mainstram stories force me into goody two-shoes, puke-worthy role of chosen one/wonder kid/righteous rebel/last hope.
In the other hand... I might be a sociopath.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
By accident, I recently found this one on the internet, and for some reason this thread came immediately to mind...

onp5wnq

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom