Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Playing Risen, Risen 2 and Gothic 3, and realizing how beautful they are. Not talking about the technical aspects only as the games are old now, but area design, composition, color choices, art style.
Honestly a visual treat, even though technically they're outdated.
Best of all, they work in Stereo 3D and look spectacular there, the 3D really compliments them.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Doing a shooter marathon - Doom and Quake mostly, then I might do Blood, Plutonia wad and other custom wads.
Playing Doom with the Chocolate port, one of my favorites due to its simplicity and ease of use. Retro Doom is another good port which I use mostly for Mega Wads and other custom wads.
Never been a big fan of GZ Doom.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Just gave up on Command and Conquer's renegade campaign. It is a sterling example of how not to design a FPS.
Oh boy, I sure do love constantly spawning waves of enemies that one shot you and you have no ammo or health left because of the shitty enemy placement and constant enemy spawns. /s
I can see why people only care about the multiplayer, because the campaign is so poorly fucking designed that you wonder if Westwood actually played a bloody FPS before.
I played it a few months ago. Gave up at the level where you break Mobius out of prison and have stealth black hand everywhere. It is pretty masochistic. I remember getting all 5 stars as a kid but I don't have that kind of time or patience anymore
I lucked out on that mission. Mobius bugged out and his health wouldn't drop below one.
The next mission was fucking bullshit though, and that's when I dropped it.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Never been a big fan of GZ Doom.
I was a big fan of the original ZDoom and preferred it over GZDoom, sadly it stopped development years ago.
There is plenty of alterantives to GZDoom.
But i luv' me gameplay mods too much to switch from it.
Heard people saying good things about Nugget Doom though.
Yeah, there are alternatives.
But I prefer Doom Retro.
And Chocolate Doom.
Never heard of Nugget Doom.
Is it good?

ferratilis

Magister
After hearing about the amazing progress made in GTA 4 modding within the last year (especially FusionFix), I decided to revisit the game. It took 15 years for the game to finally reach the state it should've always been in. An official remaster would never do the game justice the way these four mods would (plus DXVK for better performance):

Besides all the performance improvements and bug fixes, what I find most surprising are the alternative dialogues, it adds more flair to an already familiar game. GTA 4 has always been special for me because of its sardonic writing, it's Rockstar's most cynical approach ever. And it's hilarious hearing American actors trying to speak Serbo-Croatian.

Ash

Arcane
Playing Quasimorph

Oh damn, thanks for this. Looks badass. Added to wishlist, waiting for full release. I never go early access.

Rain World on the other hand looks somewhat interesting, aesthetically-appealing and novel, but the gameplay perhaps one-note? It seems it is perhaps in the vein of old school cinematic platformers like Another World, Flashback, Abe's Odyssey, Heart of Darkness etc, but slightly more advanced. So in other words charming games, somewhat challenging, but a puzzle-like and one-dimensional nature to the gameplay. Pretty simple. That's just my impression from brief browsing & reading. Is this correct?

GTA 4 has always been special for me because of its sardonic writing, it's Rockstar's most cynical approach ever.
More cynical than Manhunt? Surely not!

At this point (decided post-GTA4, V & RDR 1& 2, Max Payne 3 etc) I will never, ever touch a rockstar game again despite being somewhat of a reserved fan back in the day. Manhunt however is an exception and will have to get a replay one day. It's an experience like no other.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Finished Halo: ODST.

Pretty cool game!
RetardedDancingDonut.gif

I think I've only ever read bad things about this, and I don't at all understand the hate. It blows Halo 2 completely out of the water and is a good palate cleanser right after it.

PROS:
- Shit actually dies when you shoot it.
- You don't die instantly when glared at.
- Much less copypasta in level design.
- Some of the maps are pretty well designed actually, and while they are mostly linear sets of arenas, the said arenas are pretty big and with different ways of approach.
- NO DEEP LORE
- The spectacle is back and playing an airdropped commando blowing shit up is very satisfying. HOORAH. In this sense it reminded me a lot of Republic Commando.
- Vehicle sections actually feel like they have a purpose.
- Shit is simply FUN.

CONS:
- The hub between the missions is the same as all hub systems in every single other game - it's interesting as an idea but falls flat on its face in practice. If there were more enemies in the streets then maybe it would be fine, because the level design of the hub is pretty good, with a LOT of side routes and shit, but that's just not the case. Fortunately you can just get a buggy or a ghost and vroooooooom from mission to mission.
- I don't at all get the purpose of that weirdo backstory told through audiologs.
- Soppy romance shit at the end is soppy.
- I think it could do with one mission where you have your full squad assembled and blowing shit up.

Also I laffed my ass off at how you have regenshield + HP, except your regenshield isn't really a shield but 'stamina'. Meaning, you just shrug off plasma shots and missiles like it ain't no thing with your BALLS OF STEEL, while pansy-ass nigga master chief needs to hide behind fifty layers of energy shields and armour to not cry himself to death.

Machocruz

Arcane

Rain World on the other hand looks somewhat interesting, aesthetically-appealing and novel, but the gameplay perhaps one-note? It seems it is perhaps in the vein of old school cinematic platformers like Another World, Flashback, Abe's Odyssey, Heart of Darkness etc, but slightly more advanced. So in other words charming games, somewhat challenging, but a puzzle-like and one-dimensional nature to the gameplay. Pretty simple. That's just my impression from brief browsing & reading. Is this correct?

What it has in common with those is the screen-by-screen movement and fluid animation. But it's not built around set pieces with a specific solution like AW, and enemies, the ones capable of locomotion, aren't tied to a spot or small patrol area like in Flashback or most other sidescrollers. They roam around the levels and engage in interactions and behaviors of their own. So I'd say the mechanics and tools at your disposable are fairly simple, or constrained (e.g. there's no plethora of powers to be gained), but you have to be ready to adapt on the fly to the changing location, positions, and behavior of creatures, especially since you can't see a screen ahead or behind. I've had a few times when I enter a screen and a monster or monsters are right there and I'm either fast on my feet or I get chomped quickly. To the extent that there is a puzzle-like element, it usually involves some planning how you're going navigate through a screen depending on the prevailing conditions, and then throwing that plan in the trash if the conditions change, which happens frequently. There is often verticality to contend with or use to your advantage, tunnels/passages that you can use to hide and evade, you can exploit conflict between creatures to create openings, etc.

I'd also say the game is more than somewhat challenging, it's more like 'NES hard'. Some of that is due to how vulnerable/limited you are, the random enemy migration, lack of guidance, some is because of fiddly controls, and there is also just bad luck involved, like entering a screen and a monster's jaws are right there. Then there is the rain and hibernation mechanic, which I won't go into here. And I'm still early on, apparently platforming/traversal and enemies get trickier. Game is probably impossible to finish for the average AAA enjoyer.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I made the mistake of starting Halo 3 and decided to quit after the first mission. It's just impossible to get back to this shit after ODST. You eat five shots from grunts and your shield goes down and you die, fuck this, I've had my share of this kind of fuckery in 2 and I don't intend to ask for more.

They even lowered the grenade and ammo caps. It would be funny if it weren't so sad.

Also, the game doesn't even pick up from where Halo 2 left, FFS, how much of a faggot do you have to be to do something like that. At first I thought it was a retcon, but reading up on it revealed that the actual Halo 2 ending was done in some fucking tie-in comic book, I swear on me mom.

As far as I'm concerned Halo ended with Combat Evolved and then had two cool spinoffs (ODST and Halo Wars), and the rest of that series does not exist. Combat Evolved even had by far the greatest version of the main theme.

:mca:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Also, the game doesn't even pick up from where Halo 2 left, FFS, how much of a faggot do you have to be to do something like that. At first I thought it was a retcon, but reading up on it revealed that the actual Halo 2 ending was done in some fucking tie-in comic book, I swear on me mom.

What the fuck? :lol:

I didn't know that. Last I knew of Halo's story was from Halo 2 back on the XBox and figured I'd eventually play Halo 3 just to finish the stupid trilogy story. Thanks for saving me time, I guess.

I hate this industry sometimes.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
Fallout 2 - Wanting something similar to Shadowrun, game focused on turn based combat with a large focus on world building, I decided to reach into the depths of my Steam library and play Fallout 2. Not to draw out the Shadowrun comparison but I bought Fallout 2 well over a decade ago but let it rot in my Steam library until an unexpected urge to play the game hit me. It was then where I powered through the game in a couple sessions spanning two weeks. So to say this game hooked me in would be an understatement. Even though the game is less stable than its predecessor Fallout 2 is still a sequel done right. It does not forsake everything the first game did while still being novel. The world is bigger, quests are more involved, and you can see the consequences to your actions from the first game. Yet Fallout 2 lost something that made the first game great, concision. Fallout 1 does not offer hundreds of hours of content like some of its sequels would do but it is the lack of bloat that makes the game so enduring. Both games offer plenty of opportunities for choices and consequences but I would rather replay a 20 hour game to see what I could have done than do the same with a 50 hour game.

As for everything else in the game. Fallout 2 is more of the same from the first game albeit much less stable. Ghouls in Gecko turning hostile out of the blue, Highwayman trunk disappearing then reappearing, frames per second turning to frames per minute, and so many quest ruined by unexpected behavior were things I encountered. Turns out I did not successfully install the unofficial patch. Not wanting to restart the game twenty hours in I decided to power on through. Out of all the big name games I have played Fallout 2 ranks near the top in terms of instability. The only thing to surpass this game in those regards would be STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl.

Overall I enjoyed Fallout and want something similar. I might looking into replaying Fallout 1, total conversions for Fallout 2, or Fallout Tactics.

Did you not even install the official patches? I don't recall patched F2 being all that buggy. Crashes and slowdown could be a "running a 1998 game in 2024" thing but the quest and NPC bugs don't sound right. If you tried installing the unofficial patch and it failed it might have been because it expected you to have already patched with the latest official patch.

Spukrian

Savant
Unpatched (and unmodded?) Fallout 2 has the horrible Too Many Items bug, which (among other things) causes the trunk of the car to disappear...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom