Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Finished Halo 2.

Tl;dr quite possibly one of the worst shooters I've ever played, with no redeeming qualities whatsoever, and the non-ending actually made me snap.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
7JIjTmx.png

Beautiful area in the lake.

edit:
ArV3Hjg.png

And this is few days later. Half of food production is slowly submerging.

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I started (and finished) playing Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.
Pretty good WW2 shooter, though rather bland and run of the mill in some cases.
Last mission has you destroy Fort Schmerzen (AGAIN!) since it was rebuilt after being destroyed in the first Medal of Honor game.
Droves and friggin DROVES of Nazis rushing at you. Incredibly annoying.
Still, a decent shooter for what it's worth.
Will also do its expansions - Spearhead and Breakthrough.
They added more weapons, new locations, the ability to lean while in cover, improved running speed.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Sounds like someone doesn't want to finish the fight.

Good. For the love of God, don't go into Halo 3 with high moderate expectations.

I am NOT going to start Halo 3, nor any other mainline game in this series, because from what I know, they are all based on Halo 2 rather than 1. I'll check out ODST out of morbid curiosity that maybe if the consoletards who love 2 hate it, then it's actually OK, but I'm not keeping my hopes up.

Also, just two pages ago you were quoted praising the Halo 2 campaign.

im_watching_you_-_copia.jpg

Last edited:

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Decided to go with the emulator option for the original Halo: Combat Evolved instead of that fancy Master Chief collection
I feel like THE consoletard FPS should be experienced in a proper consoletard way, aka with Xbox gamepad.
xemusSLxU8Nhuv.jpg

Still can't get used to Warthog controls. Was experiencing some slowdown issues at first but nothing that switching a few settings couldn't fix.
It's fun.
Edit: Nah, i couldn't fix all of the weird slowdowns. There is still some during cutscenes and especially if you're trying to use the sniper rifle.
Will probably try that collection version.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
Finished Halo 2.

Tl;dr quite possibly one of the worst shooters I've ever played, with no redeeming qualities whatsoever, and the non-ending actually made me snap.
hey, you get to fight a quadriplegic in the finale, that must count for...something

Ivan

Arcane
Yoku's Island Express

A charming pinball platformer that doles with one huge contiguous map with shortcuts and secrets that can only be acquired with backtracking once you've acquired more movement abilities. Controls can get frustrating at times, since you're at the mercy of the game's physics when it comes to engaging with the pinball mechanic, but seldom is the game too cruel. It would have been nice to to be able to teleport at will, especially in the endgame if you're interested in 100%ing the game. If you do, like I do, you will have to do with the in-game traversal system. This is an easy recommend from me.
:3.5/5:

soutaiseiriron

Educated
Decided to go with the emulator option for the original Halo: Combat Evolved instead of that fancy Master Chief collection
xemu still kinda sucks. it looks like MCC is largely the same control-wise with classic controls enabled, but it has no bullet magnetism on human weapons like the AR or magnum. the original gearbox halo CE for PC has wonky bullet magnetism, where you need any sort of input on look stick to get the rotational assist to stick on the target which was not how it was on xbox. that version also has various broken graphical effects that were never fixed by anyone until MCC came out.

Ash

Arcane
I feel like THE consoletard FPS should be experienced in a proper consoletard way, aka with Xbox gamepad.
No such thing. A definitive console shooter is a good one from a legitimate console dev, such as Brahma Force, Turok, Doom 64 and many others, not a piece of shit sellout by PC devs. Speaking of definitive sellout games by shameless PC devs that ruined both PC and console gaming, now we've got people in here jerking off Bioshock. You people give legitimacy to eugenics and/or lobotomies.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Finished Halo 2.

hey, you get to fight a quadriplegic in the finale, that must count for...something
NO YOU DONT

THE FINAL BOSS IS A HP BLOATED GORILLA WITH A HAMMER

If the game actually ended midway after you punch the wheelchair guy in the face, I would only be slightly disappointed that the game is meh and short, but it is EXACTLY PAST THAT POINT when it becomes DISTILLED CANCER

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
I finished Judge Dredd: Dredd VS Death. Very mediocre from start to finish in pretty much every aspect. A few areas looked interesting, but it's so brief and quickly devolves into boring corridors for every level. Thankfully the game is pretty short.

Good. For the love of God, don't go into Halo 3 with high moderate expectations.

I'll check out ODST out of morbid curiosity that maybe if the consoletards who love 2 hate it, then it's actually OK, but I'm not keeping my hopes up.
Don't bother, if you didn't like 2 I highly doubt you'll like any of the others.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Just gave up on Command and Conquer's renegade campaign. It is a sterling example of how not to design a FPS.
Oh boy, I sure do love constantly spawning waves of enemies that one shot you and you have no ammo or health left because of the shitty enemy placement and constant enemy spawns. /s
I can see why people only care about the multiplayer, because the campaign is so poorly fucking designed that you wonder if Westwood actually played a bloody FPS before.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

I'll check out ODST out of morbid curiosity that maybe if the consoletards who love 2 hate it, then it's actually OK, but I'm not keeping my hopes up.
Don't bother, if you didn't like 2 I highly doubt you'll like any of the others.
All I can say is: you've got another thing coming :dance:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Playing HardWest 2. I played the beta for it when it came out, and there doesn't seem to be any drastic changes? I think weapon swapping might have been changed to be easier though, I vaguely remember it being clunky in the beta.
So far a pretty cool game, I like the art direction and your party is pretty cool. Gameplay wise its pretty easy though; even on hard it's not too much of a challenge, although the AI took me by surprise by using Trick shot on a wounded party member, which is something I don't remember happening in the demo.

Just gave up on Command and Conquer's renegade campaign. It is a sterling example of how not to design a FPS.
Oh boy, I sure do love constantly spawning waves of enemies that one shot you and you have no ammo or health left because of the shitty enemy placement and constant enemy spawns. /s
I can see why people only care about the multiplayer, because the campaign is so poorly fucking designed that you wonder if Westwood actually played a bloody FPS before.
I played it a few months ago. Gave up at the level where you break Mobius out of prison and have stealth black hand everywhere. It is pretty masochistic. I remember getting all 5 stars as a kid but I don't have that kind of time or patience anymore

Machocruz

Arcane
Playing Quasimorph, an extraction shooter roguelite with a Doom/Quake 2-esque vibe. I've been wanting a grungy, immersive, sci-fi, top down shooter, and while this uses turns like a more traditional roguelike, it hits that spot well enough. You are a space PMC going around doing missions for the various mega-corps competing for supremacy in the galaxy, one that is under threat from malevolent forces from beyond. I normally avoid early access but this game has been calling to me, so I tried a "demo" and was hooked. Quite a bit of jank, but a whole lot of potential. Has that 'just one more mission' hook, it's wrought havoc on my sleep schedule.

Also, Rain World. Fuckin-A man, indie is just straight mogging AAA these days. A visionary game crafted by what have to be brilliant programmers and graphic artists. Or maybe the bar has been so low for so long that they only seem brilliant by comparison. Either way, you're not going to get anything like this from the Industry. If you would like to know more, here's a link to another thread with a video talking about the game's ecosystem:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/rain-world-the-most-complex-ecosystem-in-any-game.145851/

- I find some of game's locales and animation absolutely stunning, reminding me of classic, high level feature animation like Fire and Ice and some of Disney's work, if Disney worked in Darwinian apocalyptia.
Now, I'm playing an early version I found while out sailing and some of the frustrations people had with the game then have since been resolved, so while I am experiencing some tedium and rage, I find the game utterly compelling, challenging, beautiful, and refreshing.

While I like figuring things out myself, I think both of these games err on the side of too little information for how easily you can die, and dying comes with substantial setbacks. Still preferable to mindless AAA consumeroid detritus, but I want to see games like these blow up and being too obtuse can stand in the way of that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom