Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Battlesector - Space Marines vs Tyranids turn-based strategy

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
A couple on here were convinced ahead of time this would happen, I was far more optimistic from how things had been presented. The sceptics were correct. Trying to imagine a price I'd pay for two models, or two sets of two, and coming up with pennies. The overall intent of them is clearly for multiplayer but that in itself is rather a problem, especially for the nids as the last set of nerfs for the nids mean their builds are only really competitive with the new models. It seems poorly thought as a set of microtransactions as they release on consoles and Game Pass.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=107557

New DLCs: Blood Angels Elites and Tyranids Elites

In the same update, we’ll also be including support for our first DLC’s. We’ll be releasing two small DLCs that will add units to the existing Blood Angels and Tyranid armies.

In the Blood Angels Elites Pack, you’ll get access to Assault Terminators and Sanguinary Guard. Assault Terminators bear the most highly prized artefacts within the Blood Angels Armoury. Each suit of Terminator armour is a masterfully crafted machine of war, with thousands of battles of wear and tear. Assault Terminators can be armed with Lightning Claws or a Thunderhammer/Storm Shield combination, and feature a game-changing Deep Strike ability.

df5fad42933125162c005cb18cd46cab4665e9a3.png

The Sanguinary Guard are the exemplars of the Blood Angels nobility and skill. Paying homage to the Great Angel Sanguinuis, they quickly traverse the battlefield using their Jump Pack and can be equipped with a variety of ranged and melee weapon options. The Heirs of Azkaellon ability looks to the first commander of the guard for guidance, providing powerful combat buffs - particularly when used near the HQ Command unit.

a3d2ca551b42170b86b4da284bedc6cc3b6a66c6.png

In the Tyranid Elites Pack, you’ll get access to the Broodlord and Hive Guard.

The Broodlord is a monster from which nightmares are made. They are superior melee warriors with a natural ability for disrupting the minds of nearby prey. Deployed adjacent to swarms, their Evolved Brood Telepathy ability makes the nearby units far more deadly in combat. The Paroxysm ability deploys the malevolent will of the Hive Mind to inflict terrible damage on an opponent, inflicting nerve-wracking agony and making them ineffective in combat.

7d9df8046f7d2aa1d241157041107638f2300a22.png

Hive Guard offers some deadly ranged attacks, wrapped in a heavy armour of lumbering carapace. Shockcannon Spines are especially deadly against vehicles, whilst the Impaler cannon can ignore cover penalties.

17334a5aa3e86810973989917792c6f3a88e0e89.png

These units will be available for in the campaign, and to add to your army lists in skirmish and multiplayer battles.

New Faction announced on December 14th

These DLCs will be a small taste of what’s in store for the future of Battlesector, with new armies, game modes and features all in the works. Keep an eye out for the Slitherine Home of the Wargamers event taking place on the 14th of December, during which you’ll get the first look at the new faction that we’ll be releasing early next year.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Will we get ranged terminators in another DLC? :argh:
If they price it the same as Gladius units DLC, it would be something like 4-6$, but the Gladius DLC had more units (1 per already released faction, so 4-6).

Parabalus

Arcane
Campaign is pretty fun. Would have liked a bit more RPG elements but it works.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Will we get ranged terminators in another DLC? :argh:
If they price it the same as Gladius units DLC, it would be something like 4-6$, but the Gladius DLC had more units (1 per already released faction, so 4-6).
Actually, it is less than I expected, but split in 2 DLC (1.59€ each), so 3.2 in total instead of 4-6 I expected.
But still, wheze are the assault cannon termies?!

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Actually, what they promise could be interesting:
The new campaign type will use an entirely new system. It is a “conquest-style” campaign, in which 3 factions - the Blood Angels, Tyranids and Necrons - battle to eliminate the two other factions from the map.
So a bit like in Final Liberation/Dawn of War: Dark Crusade, at last. And it should now be possible to lead the Tyranids in campaign.
It should be available regardless of whether you get the necrons DLC.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Now this is an interesting development, I was afraid they will just keep releasing the "here are two new units for 5 €" type of DLCs from now on. Hopefuly the Dark Crusade style campaign will have some deeper strategic map mechanics, ability to level up units would also be much appreciated.

Parabalus

Arcane
Campaign is great, they even added enemy DLC units to the last two missions.

Recommend the hardest difficulty.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Actually, what they promise could be interesting:
The new campaign type will use an entirely new system. It is a “conquest-style” campaign, in which 3 factions - the Blood Angels, Tyranids and Necrons - battle to eliminate the two other factions from the map.
So a bit like in Final Liberation/Dawn of War: Dark Crusade, at last. And it should now be possible to lead the Tyranids in campaign.
It should be available regardless of whether you get the necrons DLC.
Do we have any ETA for this new campaign?
I want to give this game a try, though not really interested in the current campaign style.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Old info is still the current one: 2022. The Beta for Necron DLC will start in March (Necron DLC and Campaign mode will be released at the same time from what I understand). So my best guess would be before the middle of this year.

razvedchiki

Erudite
the space marine campaign against the tyranids was really tiring, everytime and independent of the mission objectives you had to kill every unit on the map plus a new wave of units that spawned as you completed the mission. hope the new campaign will be like the one in dark crusade.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Finally tried it and must say it’s pretty good. Excited for the Dark Crusade style campaign. Lot of potential here.

Some things I can’t understand or that seem retarded:
— When a unit receives damage it makes a corresponding sound, but that sound seems to interfere with the sound of a weapon that deals said damage by silencing it. It sounds pretty weird and distracting.
— How do covers work? I’ve discovered no in-game info about them, but it seems that some obstacles may block line of fire (again in a very odd way).

Is there any comprehensive guide for in-game mechanics?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
the space marine campaign against the tyranids was really tiring, everytime and independent of the mission objectives you had to kill every unit on the map plus a new wave of units that spawned as you completed the mission. hope the new campaign will be like the one in dark crusade.
Indeed, the mopping up phase in every mission is pointless, and takes forever...

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Finally tried it and must say it’s pretty good. Excited for the Dark Crusade style campaign. Lot of potential here.

Some things I can’t understand or that seem retarded:
— When a unit receives damage it makes a corresponding sound, but that sound seems to interfere with the sound of a weapon that deals said damage by silencing it. It sounds pretty weird and distracting.
— How do covers work? I’ve discovered no in-game info about them, but it seems that some obstacles may block line of fire (again in a very odd way).

Is there any comprehensive guide for in-game mechanics?

I can't confirm this but I've read cover simply doesn't exist for marines.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I can't confirm this but I've read cover simply doesn't exist for marines.
Looks like. Standing in cover means that a unit’s line of fire will be blocked by said cover. Stupid.

There seem to be many combat mechanics according to this guide. I rarely use them though, because I find combat to be too easy and pretty straightforward. I rarely use tactical thinking, there’re no circumstances which could have forced me to make hard decisions. It’s pretty discouraging for a tactical game tbh.

Campaign in its current state is pretty uninspiring, there’s little motivation to go further. Story is convoluted with tons of boring narrative I stopped following a couple of missions ago. And the missions themselves got pretty repetitive.

Overall it could have been a good game, but the strategic layer which is next to absent and the absence of any formidable challenge spoil the party.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Old info is still the current one: 2022. The Beta for Necron DLC will start in March (Necron DLC and Campaign mode will be released at the same time from what I understand). So my best guess would be before the middle of this year.

They just announced the date: it's gonna be April 21st.

Necrons DLC - Release date & preview streams announced

It’s finally time for the news many of you have been waiting for.

First and foremost, we are glad to announce that Warhammer 40.000: Battlesector – Necrons will be released on April 21st.

The Necrons DLC will come with one new playable faction, fourteen new units, new abilities, new heroes and weapons. What’s not to like?

It will be accompanied by a free update, introducing a new campaign type called Planetary Supremacy. It is a single player focused procedural campaign in which you’ll fight other factions as well as minor factions. You can play it as the Blood Angels, the Tyranids or the Necrons (ownership of the Necrons DLC is only required if you mean to play as the Necrons).

In order to showcase what’s coming,we have scheduled two preview streams on our Twitch channel before the release.

The first one will take place on April 7th at 2 pm UTC. Slitherine’s Edmon (community manager) and David Sharrock (producer for the game) will play as the Necrons faction for the first time.

The second preview stream will happen on April 14th at 2:30 pm UTC, when Edmon and David will play the new Planetary Supremacy campaign type.

See you then!

ricolikesrice

Arcane
yesterday they streamed the new campaign system and ...... its total shit :negative:

basically you have a mobile-game-like looking planetary map where you conquer territory for more requisition points.... and thats it.

the battles are skirmish missions on terrible random maps (watch the vids, its hilariously bad). gone are skilltrees where you upgrade your HQ units/troops (the only redeeming quality of the first campaign).

10 months of development for a few necron models and this "new game mode". warhammer video gaming reached a new low here.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
i m seriously butthurt by this btw if you didnt notice. it took 13 months from winter assault to Dark Crusade and you got

-2 new factions
-new units for the 5 old factions
-a skirmish campaign that actually had a dozen rather well done scripted missions inbetween the random skirmishes
-wargear and honor guard collecting on the campaign map for all 7 factions
-an actual challenge on the higher difficulty levels
-better animations despite 15y older tech compared to battlesector
....and much more

yet it takes these incompetent dumbfucks 10 months for a handfull of necron models and a "campaign" that s even worse than the first ?

what the fuck is wrong with modern devs ? lazy incompetent pieces of shit. hopefully this shit flops hard.:argh:

ricolikesrice

Arcane
Warhammer 40K Battlesector Necrons and Procedural Campaign ~ 1 of 4 - YouTube

Warhammer 40K Battlesector Necrons and Procedural Campaign ~ 2 of 4 - YouTube

Warhammer 40K Battlesector Necrons and Procedural Campaign ~ 3 of 4 - YouTube

Warhammer 40K Battlesector Necrons and Procedural Campaign ~ 4 of 4 - YouTube

here it is in all its glory.

a minimap where the other major factions sit in their corners doing nothing while you clear map after map of procedual generated nothingness of hundreds of battle sisters. ( you basically spend dozens of hours fighting the same three units with a pretty bad AI that also has fewer points for units than you do )

and this is releasing in a couple of days along with the Necron DLC...... and is the only way to play necrons and tyranids in singleplayer.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

a minimap where the other major factions sit in their corners doing nothing while you clear map after map of procedual generated nothingness of hundreds of battle sisters. ( you basically spend dozens of hours fighting the same three units with a pretty bad AI that also has fewer points for units than you do )

and this is releasing in a couple of days along with the Necron DLC...... and is the only way to play necrons and tyranids in singleplayer.
Yeah, that looks shit.
Shame, I had hopes.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

Yeah, that looks shit.
Shame, I had hopes.
Steam Reviews are Mixed 42%.
Apparently, many shared your opinion of the campaign being bad.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I can’t comprehend though how the original game is 91% positive reviews. Judging by this number it’s a fantastic game, which is not true. It’s just ok.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I can’t comprehend though how the original game is 91% positive reviews. Judging by this number it’s a fantastic game, which is not true. It’s just ok.

It's easy to think that if you forget that the number is just a ratio of good/bad ratings. "Ok" would qualify as more good than bad for most people, so as a result, there's a high proportion of good ratings. Similarly, a niche game that really nails something could be your GOAT but only have something like 9% positive reviews or maybe all positive reviews, but only 5 people played it. Etc.

You'd need a way to quantify magnitude of the rating before being able to determine whether the reviews are fantastic or not, or just go ahead and read them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom