Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Battlesector - Space Marines vs Tyranids turn-based strategy

BATTLEMODE

Novice
I played 30 minutes of this, realised the skirmish map AI was completely braindead and put it away again.

I hear that it's still the same a year on from release so that's not good at all. I expect better from Slitherine.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

In this video roadmap for 2022 David Sharrock goes through everything that will come within the next six months of development for Warhammer 40,000: Battlesector.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war. Experience every bone-rattling explosion and soul-crushing charge in Warhammer 40,000: Battlesector, the definitive battle-scale game of turn-based strategy and fast-paced combat that takes you to the battlefields of the 41st Millenium.

Beowulf

Arcane
Am I the only one who's annoyed about current buzz phrase "turn-based & fast paced"?

I don't know, I've been playing the Deamonhunters and wouldn't mind the game having a little faster pace. That game wastes players time with so many useless animations that you have to sit through and watch even when on the fastest speed setting.
I think that in later missions I spent more time watching the animations than on the actual gameplay, i.e. ordering my tiny soldiers.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Am I the only one who's annoyed about current buzz phrase "turn-based & fast paced"?

I don't know, I've been playing the Deamonhunters and wouldn't mind the game having a little faster pace. That game wastes players time with so many useless animations that you have to sit through and watch even when on the fastest speed setting.
I think that in later missions I spent more time watching the animations than on the actual gameplay, i.e. ordering my tiny soldiers.
How else would you visualize casting?

Beowulf

Arcane

If by casting you mean this AI routine where the Plague Marines walk around and then stand in place while voicing their lines and only then, after a couple of seconds you can watch another animation of them setting an overwatch, than I'd just trim everything to them basically just pointing their weapons in your general direction.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

If by casting you mean this AI routine where the Plague Marines walk around and then stand in place while voicing their lines and only then, after a couple of seconds you can watch another animation of them setting an overwatch, than I'd just trim everything to them basically just pointing their weapons in your general direction.
Ok but there are many other types of animations e.g. plaguebearers casts

Hobo Elf

Arcane
How was the Necron DLC? Heard it was crap, but I'd like to get a second opinion here since Codexers can go more in-depth on things.

Depends. There are things that can be done to make turn-based gameplay have better pacing, such as being able to issue a command to a unit while another one is currently running to the location you sent them to. Watching your guys all run to their targets, individually, feels pointless when you're not engaged with the enemy. During engagement it's another matter, of course.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How was the Necron DLC? Heard it was crap, but I'd like to get a second opinion here since Codexers can go more in-depth on things.

Depends. There are things that can be done to make turn-based gameplay have better pacing, such as being able to issue a command to a unit while another one is currently running to the location you sent them to. Watching your guys all run to their targets, individually, feels pointless when you're not engaged with the enemy. During engagement it's another matter, of course.
I haven't got the Necron DLC myself, but from what I had read on the Steam and Slitherine forums, the Necron themselves were good. The issue was that the DLC didn't come with a single player campaign, and the new freeform campaign was an unfinished mess.

So basically, you could safely get it when/if they upgrade the campaign to something interesting.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah this is the big problem - it seems like the devs just want to focus on adding new army lists instead of providing SP content. I am not inclined to buy new DLCs for this unless there is a new campaign included.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah this is the big problem - it seems like the devs just want to focus on adding new army lists instead of providing SP content. I am not inclined to buy new DLCs for this unless there is a new campaign included.

And more interesting and difficult missions. The game's almost fun. I like the sound, music, etc. but it's too easy and always ends in the mop up of whatever straggler nids are kicking around the map.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I like the sound
There’s one thing that really fucking pisses me off: a huge dip in environment sound level when a unit’s voice is heard. Saying in a sound jargon: an ugly master channel side-chain compression driven by units’ sounds. Such a terrible sound design decision which totally breaks the flow.

is this game worth $24? Is there really no army building? I can't get a straight idea about this..seem to see different answers..like you might unlock units, but individual units don't carry over or something? no quite sure, but have seen some complaining about lack of connection to units (like you don't really care about them)...????

Acrux

Arcane
Units that survive a battle get a small bonus each battle - something like 1% to damage+1 accuracy and crit chance . This was a dev compromise, since the game initially wasn't built for individual unit levelling, but they got a lot of complaints. In the story campaign, new units open up as the story progresses. You have a traditional 40k point allowance each battle.

I haven't tried the new supremacy campaign yet. Waiting for new armies/features to try it out.

Last edited:

Regvard

Arcane
That 1% would probably add-up quickly. Admittedly, I played the campaign in normal difficulty which was piss easy so most of my units survived every battle.

Acrux

Arcane
I just checked again and it's +1 accuracy and crit chance per survived encounter.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
That 1% would probably add-up quickly. Admittedly, I played the campaign in normal difficulty which was piss easy so most of my units survived every battle.

I think I played on Hard (it's been a long time) and the game is still pretty easy and if you're even kind of careful, you can preserve most of your units into a curbstomping force.

I got this game on sale since I figured I would eventually get it anyway and I like it more than I thought I would so far, but man I can not understand the design decision to chase the final units around the battlefield after you accomplish the main goals..who thought that was a good idea? You don't even seem to get any experience for it or anything, its just a chore and not a fun one..I don't get it..

I am playing on the difficulty one level above 'normal' with hardest AI selected but am now wondering if I need to bump it up one notch--- usually this level is hard enough on these types of games for me..I really don't want to chase a bunch of units all over the map for hours though if that is what 'harder' means..

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I just wanna say that this game is good, really good.
It doesn't have the most fun mechanic from Warhammer 40k Sanctus Reach, the free overwatch, but everything else is better. The army building is miles better with an actual incentive to keep units alive, the combat is better with more activatable abilities and more assymetrical units leading to more mixed up play patters, the UI is miles ahead, the campaign is incomparably better with no padded out trash fights, hell even the cleanup phase where you need to kill remaining stragglers is more fun.
Given that I already liked Sanctus Reach this is a homerun, I consider this the best Wh40k squad tactics on steam at the moment.

Yeah it has some usual Games Workshop retardiation. There is only a space marine campaign, and the space marine faction is like a thousand times more interesting than the current other playable Tyrannid faction. The hardest difficulty has the moderatly retarded decision to double the price of weapon upgrades for your units, making everything that is not a flamethrower not worth the points. While the cleanup phase is less annoying than in Sanctus Reach because the enemies have no morale and will doomrush you even with a single unit alive, there really is no reason for a cleanup phase at all. But still, most of the other 40k games have way more annoying caveats, and the tacticool gameplay isn't half as good to make up for it. Play on max difficulty but disable the option that you have to pay double the point cost for better weapons, you can only do that before you start a campaign.

I feel sufficiently challenged at max difficulty, I lose at least some units every mission, which keeps the snowball effect down enough to make the combat shine.
Also do not get the Necron DLC, unless you want to play them in multiplayer. Horrible value. Spess marine elite DLC is ok, Sanguinary guard is very fun to play. Tyrannid Elite DLC is only good if you want to play nids in multiplayer or procedural campaign.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom