Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Battlesector - Space Marines vs Tyranids turn-based strategy

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
So, I finished the campaign after 30 hours. Doubling upgrade point cost made late game army building at 1600 points kinda retarded, but the game was still fun.
The final mission was oddly anticlimatic, because it ends as soon as you fulfill the objective, which was on the third turn for me. Overall the campaign was fairly high quality, there were only three missions I disliked (first protect the Battle Sisters mission because saving them is impossible on max diff due to enemy spawns, the first genestealer mission because it is too slow and long and the helldiver mission where your secondary objective is to send 5 trash squads to their death). My favourite mission was the last protect the battle sisters mission, because it was both very difficult and very fair, and the missions where you protect a corpse of someone because those were epic amounts of nids.

I won't play much planetary supremacy because the AI generated maps are much worse than the campaign ones, but I still wanna jot down my thoughts about unit balance for company captain single player:

S tier:
Furioso Dreadnought with Heavy Flamer.
Below 200 points and they consistently clear 2 enemy stacks in a single turn. They can even turn those annoying flying stacks with 40hp per pop into dust. The only unit that I would consider as broken.

A tier:
Land Speeder and Land Speeder Typhoon with Flame Throwers.
Speeders are great. Fast, high vision range, decently tanky, and their main gun can take out one model from those 3 model elite units like warriors and the poison fags. Default speeders have a very good activatable ability that debuffs ranged armor and is great for melting targets with huge hp pools and mediocre armor, basically anything big that is not the tyrannofex. Tervigons get fucked after being marked by this skill. Flame throwers can delete 2 enemies per turn aswell, for 0 ap even, but they have cooldown every other turn making them much worse than
Intercessors.
These are very very good early game when you get their upgrades, they fall off hard however, because they excel in taking out small things with their full auto bolter, as one of the few upgrades worth its points on Company Captain. The grenade is good against gargoyles aswell. The problem is they struggle hard against decently armored targets, and can easily be killed by Exocrines and Air Strikes late. I didn't field a single one in the final mission, but rushing them will make the early game much smoother.
Librarians.
Weird unit, very expensive, but no upgrades is generally good in Company Captain. They are the second hardest unit to use well, but there is a lot you can do with them. Their sword has 3 hits and good splash damage, so getting behind the 3 unit elite models like warriors means you can annihilate them, sometimes for a single AP. As such I mostly used them as an elite hunter for 3 model stacks. They can also round up trash with their spells fairly well, but the flame throwers are better at that. What really makes them shine is that they can use surge really well, surging their aoe psy blast gives it ridiculous range and surging their jump spell turns it into a huge defensive steroid and makes it 0 AP. Late game you will surge very often, because 3 of your heroes get skills that buff surge accumulation.
Sanguinary Guard.
The hardest to use unit in the game. Super squishy, super mobile, super high point cost, super high damage and a chance for double turns. Jumping in, activating their killing spree ability, taking out 5 models from a spam or midrange enemy stack, and then attacking a huge high point model for 200-500 damage is pretty much the strongest thing any unit can do in its turn. Jumping in, failing to kill enough enemy models to get the extra turn and being stuck deep in enemy territory is a death sentence for the unit. Their axe upgrade is worth it lategame, as with their high crit rate the axe allows them to oneshot tyrannofexes with some luck.

B tier:
Aggressors.
The best tank you can get, because you can aoe heal them with the priests. Free 0 AP attacks every other turn with aoe damage. Good melee damage against heavies. They could be higher, but their mobility sucks and tanking is usually not the best idea in the first place.
Librarian Dreadnoughts.
Pretty good unit, expensive but 2AP and high melee damage. If you don't run Sanguinary Guard you will probably need them to take down enemy superheavies, because melee into the back is the best way to kill superheavies with 100% accuracy and +50% damage. I got more mileage out of Sanguinary Guard due to the insane mobility of the jumppack, Librarian Dreads usually need to eat an opportunity attack to get behind their enemy.
Techmarine and Sanguinary Priests.
Healers with 2AP and decent offensive output for their point cost. You don't really need more than one of each, and you get one of each for free in the heroes. Doubling up is not a bad idea if you like splitting your army or you run a mech only/infantry only army so you only need to double up one of them.
Battle Sister Squad.
Extremely cheap, good default weapon, good activatable abilities. Late game they will get oneshot by enemy bombardments, I fielded them in the last few missions anyway because it is so very easy to get more than 50points of value out of them.

C tier:
Inceptor Squad.
Hypermobile Infantry hunters. Why tho? Infantry gets the flamethrower. Turning them into anti midrange with the plasma pistols is a bad idea due to the doubled costs for upgrades on company captain. The upgrade where they can jump on top of enemies to deal damage for 0ap is very cute. Usable if you really dislike flamethrowers I guess.
Baal Predator.
I love this unit. You have no reason to field it. It is like 100 points more expensive than a flamethrower Furioso if you want it as a flamethrower wielder, and almost as expensive as a Librarian Dreadnought as a midrange hunter, but it has only 1AP. It will perform well as either, it is highly mobile and tanky as fuck if you want to BBQ nids, and the autogun can kill warrior stacks in a single volley if you crit well. A supercharged Baal Predator with a Flamecannon and like 3 different buffs active made me win the final mission on turn 3, because I killed all of the Hiveguards in a single turn through surging, but I could have done the same for cheaper with other units.
Assault Marines
Usable. Very squishy, but they don't cost requisition actions and melee attacks have such high accuracy you can just use them as cannon fodder. Have them jump in, krak grenade something, and then stab it in the back for high damage. Not my prefered playstile, but it gets the job done for the low point cost. The special attack from your hq unit that summons a free attacking assault marine squad is probably the best of the three special attacks, and they also use the assault marine upgrades. I prefer to not give them different weapons, because the chainsword is their best weapon anyway.

D tier:
Battle Sister Seraphim.
Bad default weapon, more expensive than the standard Battle Sister and not really better abilties either. They can wield better weapons with upgrades, but upgrades are gay and overpriced on Company Captain.
Hellblasters.
Ranged Anti Elite is a terrible idea, you kill enemy elite units by meleeing them into the back for the titanic damage boost and perfect accuracy. If you babysit a few throughout the entire game they become good due to the veteran system making them very accurate and crits synergise well with high damage weaponry. Their elite weapon also gets the company captain double tax.
Death Company.
More expensive and pretty much worse Assault Marines.

My final army was 2 Furioso Dreads with flamethrowers, 3 speeders 2 of them fitted with flamethrowers, one baal tank with a flame cannon, a librarian, a sanguinary squad and a battle sisters squad to fill the points. Maybe a second librarian or a sanguinary if that is not enough points, I forgot. The balance is overall very good, as you see from my musings, almost all of the bad units are bad because company captain makes their reliance on upgrades into a liability. I guess it was needed to punish flame thrower spam somewhat, but maybe just have it increase the flame thrower prices.

so this DLC came out, don't care all that much, have not played game for awhile, but I was looking at ithe screenshots and thinking there might be some hot space babes in it or something...... thought I remembered that from looking at previous art from this faction..but WTF? Its like all trannies, and eunuchs dressed up in fetish gear and other weird leather looking gay torture sex shit.... WTF happened to the bikini armor and hot commander babes? WTF is this crap?

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sisters Repentia (the ones in BDSM outfits and two-handed chainswords) have always been a thing. They are the Sisters who atone for some major failing.

Anyway, I might get this at some point, but I wanted a new campaign, not a selection of new units for skirmish...

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
WTF happened to the bikini armor and hot commander babes? WTF is this crap?
You must be thinking of another faction because SoB never were into bikini armor and their commanders tend to more trend towards looking grizzled then hot (with main exceptions being living saints), hot SoB were typically found amongst the rank and file sisters along with the seraphim supposed to be awe inspiringly beautiful (though sadly their models never seem to reflect this).

If you want to push it, you could point out the existence of the Sisters Repentia (sisters who are punished and throw away their lives by seeking death in glorious melee whilst wearing LESS then bikini armor) which GW has been making a clear effort to desexify by making them less feminine and giving them clothes such as pants (because we can't have nice things), as well as penitent engines now being manned by dudes in every modern depiction when before it was always chicks ,with their depiction in dawn of war in particular making all sorts of suggestive sounding noises due to the constant torture they were subjected to.

WTF happened to the bikini armor and hot commander babes? WTF is this crap?
You must be thinking of another faction because SoB never were into bikini armor and their commanders tend to more trend towards looking grizzled then hot (with main exceptions being living saints), hot SoB were typically found amongst the rank and file sisters along with the seraphim supposed to be awe inspiringly beautiful (though sadly their models never seem to reflect this).

If you want to push it, you could point out the existence of the Sisters Repentia (sisters who are punished and throw away their lives by seeking death in glorious melee whilst wearing LESS then bikini armor) which GW has been making a clear effort to desexify by making them less feminine and giving them clothes such as pants (because we can't have nice things), as well as penitent engines now being manned by dudes in every modern depiction when before it was always chicks ,with their depiction in dawn of war in particular making all sorts of suggestive sounding noises due to the constant torture they were subjected to.
I must be thinking of something else, although I guess I did not really mean technically bikini Armour, but more like I seem to remember girls in skimpy outfit type thing and then also maybe some hot commander chicks...but I certainly could be getting the factions mixed up because I don't know 40k lore at all, and maybe I am just remembering some hot commander women, and I embellished and imagined the rest in my head..

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Sisters Repentia (the ones in BDSM outfits and two-handed chainswords) have always been a thing. They are the Sisters who atone for some major failing.

Anyway, I might get this at some point, but I wanted a new campaign, not a selection of new units for skirmish...

For visual refernce:

19ZK8ew.png

EgZtkQa.png

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
A space babe
am7PFJw.jpeg

Reusing Fandomat's link from the RT thread.

Yup these gals are bog standard battle sisters.

After thinking, I reckon the bikini armor women you mentioned were dark eldar wyches, who can be VERY hot depending art but alas, GW has also made a noticeable effort to desexify them, current models and modern art of them don't even have bikini armor anymore.

After 11 pages, I still don't understand whether this game is good or not.
well I have played it for 21 hours and I am still not sure
How does it compare with Final Liberation or Sanctus Reach?
I never played Final Liberation, I did play Sanctus Reach for about 25-30 hours..both games start to feel repetitive after playing too long, I guess Battle Sector feels less so because it has a campaign and I have not even tried out the random campaigns yet which people seem to enjoy. The game would go from being like a B- to an A- if they somehow removed the design element where you have clearly won the current battle/scenario and secured every area and accomplished all goals but they still require you to chase a bunch tiny insignificant and/or spawning untis all over the map for another 30 minutes to an hour that have no ability to do any harm to you any more but just are an annoying busy work thing to do...if this were somehow eliminated I would actually have more than 20 hours in the game right now. Sometimes I think about playing but then I don't want to deal with chasing around little untis at the end of a scenario, and its too bad because most of the time its pretty fun...

But I do think its still slightly better than Sanctus Reach and maybe much better if you include both the single player campaign+random campaign element...like I give SR a 6.5 and BS an incomplete rating of 7.0 right now but possibly 7.5, maybe even 8.0 at high end but that would be pushing it..

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After 11 pages, I still don't understand whether this game is good or not.
well I have played it for 21 hours and I am still not sure
How does it compare with Final Liberation or Sanctus Reach?
Final Liberation campaign felt much better than the "planetary conquest" mode for Battle Sector in that it felt like taking and controlling territory did matter.
until you abuse the army scaling

Battle Sector has a good campaign, plagued by the need to clean up all maps after victory, and a very barebone planetary conquest map which is the only way to play Nids, Necrons or Sisters of Battle (with the new infernal mode I haven't tried).

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Sisters Repentia (the ones in BDSM outfits and two-handed chainswords) have always been a thing.
If I remember correctly those were added in Codex Ordo Hereticus for 4th edition WH40k .

They were in the 3rd Edition Codex: Witch Hunters. The Sisters never got a 4th Edition Codex and there was massive outrage about it. That was the time when GW promised plastic Sisters and we never got them.

Their next Codex was Adeptus Sororitas for 6th Edition.

Source

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Soooo, is this game worth playing now?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom