Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Visual Novel Recomendation Thread

MurkrLurkr

Learned

Has anyone played this VN/dungeon crawler hybrid? It's remastered version of Japanese PS2 title from 2004 and it looks pretty interesting...

Derringer

Prophet

Has anyone played this VN/dungeon crawler hybrid? It's remastered version of Japanese PS2 title from 2004 and it looks pretty interesting...

The environment art kind of reminded me of Generation XTH except more fluid.

I was looking at the old VNs that Urobuchi worked on at Nitroplus, I didn't realize he wrote Saya.

Elttharion

Learned

Shiravune will release new versions of Kara no Shoujo on steam, including the third game that mangagamer never translated. Its a completely new localization too. Considering Steam banned the second game before it will be interesting to see if they will allow it now.

Arthandas

Prophet
Shiravune will release new versions of Kara no Shoujo on steam, including the third game that mangagamer never translated. Its a completely new localization too. Considering Steam banned the second game before it will be interesting to see if they will allow it now.
VNDB says the Steam version is butchered...

Tyrr

Liturgist
Of course. Why else would they "localize" it again? The old translation was perfectly fine.

catfood

AGAIN
Well it's Shirannigger, what did you expect? They are a blight upon this industry.

Arthandas

Prophet
I'd rather not buy from Johren but there's no info on any drm on this release, could it be drm free like in normal stores (Jast/MG)?

Elttharion

Learned
localization
I started to hate that word so much.
Yes, it disgusts me too but that is the world they used. If they were being accurate to the source material they would use translation but alas...

FWIW this is the director for the project:

Yep, looks like it:

FxdL9NjWcAEudey

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Steam version always butchered and you just download patch from their store

and KnS literally has and adult MC fucking school girls. And load of gore. No way its gonna be in Steam even if they don't butcher it.

Mangagamer KnS 2 was rejected in Steam for same reason. Honestly not publisher fault

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
https://www.johren.games/games/download/32+59/all-tags/all-soft/all-devs/all-pubs/newest/

This kinda reminds me of literature from Czech basin printed in year 1400. Then Czech kingdom got under Habsburg occupation, and Jesuits burned that down.

Cheap image printing, and lowering costs of paper by industrialization helped Czech books a lot.
(Surprisingly not literacy, literacy was at 40 percent fully gender equal, from what I gathered the only way how to survive crazy ideas of government was being able to read it with theirs own eyes.)
Nowadays we have internet and cute images are for free.

Tyrr

Liturgist
If they just cut the 18+ stuff to release it in a patch, why do they also "localize" everything new?
I doubt the patch will also restore the old translation.

Arthandas

Prophet
If they just cut the 18+ stuff to release it in a patch, why do they also "localize" everything new?
I doubt the patch will also restore the old translation.
Because obviously they don't have the rights to MG's script.

MurkrLurkr

Learned

Couple of years ago I obtained an unofficial freeware fan translation of this title for PS2 and emulated it on my school laptop. Had a really good time, considering I played it during the chaotic period of complete renovation of my apartment... Never finished it tho, since the translation was partial and my favorite girl's route, Asama Sakuya's, wasn't even touched.. Ran into couple of really entertaining bad and dead ends (27 of them in total). I think Akai Ito won't satisfy those who have a backlog of R-18 gaems, as low-key Yuri doesn't appeal to a large crowd, but branching supernatural mystery, with japanese folklore seasoning was pretty tasty, even if a bit mild... The branchy flowchart is by far the best aspect of the game, and I wish a lot more VN's would follow its example of tracking the MC's progress through the meandering narrative structure. Sequel Aoishiro I haven't played, but in fullness of time I plan to... I read that the official translation is pretty rough, so take my recommendation with a grain of sea salt ;)

Elttharion

Learned
Nukitashi released on Steam and Johren by Shiravune. I was really interested in reading it but was fearing the worse because of some leaks regarding the TL. And its even worse than what I expected.

Apparently the localizer and the editor decided that it was their God given right to butcher this VN. Jokes about Trump, twitch jokes, zoomer net slang, ranting about gamergate, etc. For the love of God avoid this shit like the plague.

I also finished Chaos;Child today. That was a pretty dense and dark VN but its also probably my second favorite in the series (the first one is Steins;Gate). I still have some reservations about the plot twists and how they are handled but overall I really liked the game. I still need to digest the last few chapters of the VN and some of the character endings before I could make a more accurate rating but for now it would be :4/5:. I also am curious about how much my view of the game would change if I reread it. Unfortunately I probably cant stomach reading it again so soon so that will have to wait.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Nukitashi released on Steam and Johren by Shiravune. I was really interested in reading it but was fearing the worse because of some leaks regarding the TL. And its even worse than what I expected.

Apparently the localizer and the editor decided that it was their God given right to butcher this VN. Jokes about Trump, twitch jokes, zoomer net slang, ranting about gamergate, etc. For the love of God avoid this shit like the plague.

I also finished Chaos;Child today. That was a pretty dense and dark VN but its also probably my second favorite in the series (the first one is Steins;Gate). I still have some reservations about the plot twists and how they are handled but overall I really liked the game. I still need to digest the last few chapters of the VN and some of the character endings before I could make a more accurate rating but for now it would be :4/5:. I also am curious about how much my view of the game would change if I reread it. Unfortunately I probably cant stomach reading it again so soon so that will have to wait.

The absolute state of 2020s JP - EN (((localization))) where Textractor + MTL (DeepL or Sugoi) is much better than the official release

Derringer

Prophet

Apparently the localizer and the editor decided that it was their God given right to butcher this VN. Jokes about Trump, twitch jokes, zoomer net slang, ranting about gamergate, etc. For the love of God avoid this trash like the plague.

The absolute state of 2020s JP - EN (((localization))) where Textractor + MTL (DeepL or Sugoi) is much better than the official release
The manipulation is probably on purpose to promote machine translations unironically, it's just another fork of marxism.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
I was looking for a kind of entertainment which is like videogames but doesn't require intensive intellectual and cerebrospinal activity from the player, and I thought visual novels might fit this category (plus it's anime, which is great). Is Baldr Sky any good? How gameplay-heavy is it?

merser

Literate

"Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo "​

It is strange, but somewhat fun.
The plot and the world of the novel are quite interesting, although in many ways absurd, but this is not annoying, but amusing.
Although I have a slight assumption that many funny and interesting things appeared during the Russian translation, but i think it is still fun in EN. Сan recommend.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom