Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Visual Novel Recomendation Thread

The Jester

Cipher
Screenshot-356.png

Maggot baits

Nostaljaded

Savant
The 12 Legendary VNs [12神器]

It has been on the Chinese net for quite some years regarding Jap Adult VNs.

地狱深渊 Hell in Abyss - *Okinawa Slave Island
You play the role of a man who is shipped off to Okinawa by his boss and takes advantage of the remoteness of one of the islands of Okinawa and builds a slave island, capturing men and chaining them up for his pleasure.

堕落震荡 Degenerate Shock - Sister Training Diary / Imouto Choukyou Nikki ~Konna Tsundere ga Ore no Imouto na Wakenai!~
Protagonist is an otaku who likes to play 'training' adult games. One day, he was confessed to by his younger sister's friend. In order to prevent him from dating her friend, his tsundere sister proposes that he can train her if he doesn't date her friend.

And so the life of training his sister begins.

伪娘枷锁 Cross-dress Shackles - *Tomgirls of the Mountains / Josou Sanmyaku
Following a string of heartbreaks, Ikuto Watarai decides to go into the mountains to clear his head and dump women for good.
He loses his way and wakes up finding himself in a small, aging village that the world has all but forgotten. His saviors are three girls and they are calling him their destined "messenger" who is to revitalize their village by giving birth to a new generation.

There's just one catch – these girls have a secret under their skirts...

圣启示录 Sacred Revelation - *Wonderful Everyday / Subarashiki Hibi ~Furenzoku Sonzai~
The story follows a group of several Tokyo high school students mostly through July of 2012 and each chapter is told from the perspective of one of its five main characters.

Because of the same timeframe coverage, certain events are overlapping from chapter to chapter but at the core of it all is a mystery revolving around the prophecy about the end of the world on July the 20th as well as the events that are following before the said date.

血池轮回 Bloodbath Reincarnation - *3days ~Till Death Do Us Apart~ / 3days ~Michiteyuku Toki no Kanata de~
The game revolves around the main character's 3 days repeating over and over again, where he is constantly being killed in the third day of the story (in various ways) but magically being brought back to life in the first day to repeat his 3 days. Your goal here is to solve the mystery behind the death of your senpai and also to find the identity of the murderer.

末日伪装 Apocalyptic Pretense - TV no Kieta Hi / Terebi no Kieta Hi
A comet of unprecedented proportions appeared in our Solar System. As it drew closer to Earth, it interrupted radio waves worldwide. That day was nicknamed "The Day Television Disappeared".
The day the world lost its signal, our protagonist, Mimasaka Shingo, lost his parents. At the heart of this incident is his father's former boss, Hosaka Kenichi, on whom our protagonist has sworn revenge.

Twelve years later, Shingo meets Hosaka Nanami, a high-school student. Forlorn memories connect and bind, cementing the truth. Hosaka Nanami is... Hosaka Kenichi's daughter.
Shingo thus decided to make her life a living hell. Perhaps, when his loved ones are ripped and ground to pieces, that man might know the misery he once taught others.

绝望爱恋 Desperate Love - *The Song of Saya / Saya no Uta
Fuminori Sakisaka had life-threatening injuries in an accident. He was rescued by experimental brain surgery that coincidentally altered his perception of the world dramatically, composing of slimy intestines and gore to him.

His desire to live dwindles. While he contemplates suicide, Saya appears before him. Compared to the horrible surroundings, she looks completely normal, if not downright gorgeous. Fuminori soon falls in love with Saya, and she becomes his raison d'être. And so, he sets off to find Saya...

次元囚笼 The Other Dimension Cage - *YOU and ME and HER: A Love Story / Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi.
Shinichi wants nothing more than to lead a quiet life. Though he was once close friends with Miyuki, the most popular girl in school, his desire for normalcy now keeps them from being anything more than classmates.
However everything changes, when the class oddball, Aoi, intersects into their lives. With Shinichi wanting to help this friendless classmate, he enlists Miyuki's aid and, and thus, a trio is born.

Little by little, Aoi learns what it means to be friends. But at the same time, long-dormant feelings awaken in Miyuki's heart. As the distance between her and Shinichi shrinks, the hard-earned bonds the three share begin to fray.
Miyuki or Aoi-when the time comes, who will Shinichi choose?

百合猎杀 GirlxGirl Romance & Stalking - Who killed the Cock Robin? / Dare ga Koroshita Komadori o
Kotori is a reserved schoolgirl and is pretty much uninterested with anything around her. Weighed down by anxieties and insecurities caused by her home environment, she grows up unsociable, akin to being confined inside a shell.
Ran is an outgoing nurse-teacher; she lives her life like most other adults do. Kotori caught her attention and helps her in her own way.
Kakeru is Kotori's nerdy stalker who has tirelessly bore his unrequited love for a long time. He is persistent enough to approach her no matter how many times he is shot down.

This is their story, the story of these three individuals, the story of their intertwining fate told from each of their perspectives.

寝取舞会 NTR Dance Party - Biniku no Kaori ~Netori Netorare Yari Yarare~ / 媚肉の香り~ネトリネトラレヤリヤラレ~
Takuya is a university student. He plans to earn money so that he can go traveling with his girlfriend, Yuki. He starts working as a live-in home tutor at Otoha's house.
One day, he finds a hole in the wall. He looks into it and sees Kaori, Otoha's mother, doing her hair. It seems to be Otoha's parents' bedroom. Who made this hole? What for?

纯爱酷刑 Love Tribulation - Dark Blue
"I'll save you right away!" I try to open the door, but I can't.... I try again, but nothing happens....
"Do I need a key to open this door?" But I don't have enough time to look for it. I can't open it.... I can't open.... I can't....
"Noooooooooooooo!!" I hear your scream from inside.... I can do nothing.... You'll never come back... never....

虚拟终点 Fictitious End - *euphoria
When Takatou Keisuke came to, he found himself in a white room that he didn't recognize... He was locked in a white, closed room with six other women. All of them were confused by this abnormal situation when a "mysterious voice" suddenly announced to them:
"The game will now begin."
Keisuke must become an "Unlocker" and select one of the women as a "Keyhole," then perform a specified act with her to "open the lock" so that they can all escape from the white rooms.

Will Keisuke be able to escape unharmed and return to his everyday life? Or will his very desires consume him...?

-------
*English translation available (as indicated on VNDB).
The 4-char Chinese literal translations may not be representative for some VNs as I've only completed 1.

These VNs are more for those with niche/heavy taste in Adult VNs.
Only upon reaching their True End (if there is), can one (subjectively) determines whether a particular VN is worthy of such a label; skip text if some scenes are simply too overwhelming.

The list also has 'the 12 Demonic VNs' which cater to even more niche palates/ordeals.
Probably collated later to make an equal-number pairing (due to their very uneven quality and some are not Chinese-translated), the 12 Demonic VNs are intentionally wholly-omitted here.

Worth a mention that the 12 Legendary VNs are all pre-2014 works, so less likely to be blindsided by the fresh &/or shiny.
This could serve as a reference list for non-mainstream Jap Adult VNs.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
My biggest problem with VNs is the endless slice of life garbage they cram into them, or sex scenes added only because the publisher (correctly) reasoned that they would sell more that way.

I'm currently reading Higurashi and just began chapter 2. Just like Umineko (which is incredible) it has endless exposition and filler - but because of the unsettling mood and the way the writer drops hints about the mystery even in the most mundane scenes it's still engaging.

After that I'll give SubaHibi and Fata Morgana a try.

But I need to reiterate, I wish every VN was just Saya no Uta. Short, to the point, no wasted scenes. I'm too old to care about spending time with "cute girls" and experiencing "slice of life" scenes. I don't care about that. I just don't care.
wah wah vns too long, too much sex, i hate waifus just like i hate mai laifu!! how about instead being too old to care about your time being wasted, like me. you need reeducation (in the morenatsu rape shed)

Sarathiour

Cipher
I've finished full metal daemon murasama lately, and found it pretty edgy, especially the uncensored version.

Posting it on this page to admit how outflexed I am by the two first post.

My biggest problem with VNs is the endless slice of life garbage they cram into them, or sex scenes added only because the publisher (correctly) reasoned that they would sell more that way.

I'm currently reading Higurashi and just began chapter 2. Just like Umineko (which is incredible) it has endless exposition and filler - but because of the unsettling mood and the way the writer drops hints about the mystery even in the most mundane scenes it's still engaging.

But I need to reiterate, I wish every VN was just Saya no Uta. Short, to the point, no wasted scenes. I'm too old to care about spending time with "cute girls" and experiencing "slice of life" scenes. I don't care about that. I just don't care.
wah wah vns too long, too much sex, i hate waifus just like i hate mai laifu!! how about instead being too old to care about your time being wasted, like me. you need reeducation (in the morenatsu rape shed)
Brevity is the soul of wit. Also any elements of a story that only become interesting when the viewer projects his pathetic existence into one of the characters are cancer and should be rewritten so that they can stand on their own.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist

Brevity is the soul of wit. Also any elements of a story that only become interesting when the viewer projects his pathetic existence into one of the characters are cancer and should be rewritten so that they can stand on their own.
wit is the obsession of retarded gaijin. your writing standards don't apply to the azn mind. gou houmu howaito piggu

wit is the obsession of retarded gaijin. your writing standards don't apply to the azn mind. gou houmu howaito piggu
You'll understand when your older/not taking drugs.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist

You'll understand when your older/not taking drugs.
I'm the victim of a sex accident when I was young that gave me special eyes that show me which people are retarded on the internet and also make people look like monsters and monsters look like people because I secretly switched souls with a demon but forgot and also I have the power to turn my gay furry delusions into reality. dont fuck with meh and mai furreh hasubando raep harem

this poast was broaght to you by visuwul nowols

catfood

AGAIN
TodokanaiTL has released the final version of White Album 2. All the chapters, all the after stories, all the extra content, everything is translated.

I finished reading this masterpiece last year and now I'm going to read the extra content as well.

MurkrLurkr

Learned
I heard good things about it... Ogami Keichi, the director, was in Nitro+ from the early days, albeit in different roles. However, the only other notable VN he was at the helm of is Phenomeno, pretty bland and unimpressive kinetic horror novel, so there's that..

j2alg

Educated

You play the role of a man who is shipped off to Okinawa by his boss and takes advantage of the remoteness of one of the islands of Okinawa and builds a slave island, capturing men and chaining them up for his pleasure.

堕落震荡 Degenerate Shock - Sister Training Diary / Imouto Choukyou Nikki ~Konna Tsundere ga Ore no Imouto na Wakenai!~
Protagonist is an otaku who likes to play 'training' adult games. One day, he was confessed to by his younger sister's friend. In order to prevent him from dating her friend, his tsundere sister proposes that he can train her if he doesn't date her friend.

Following a string of heartbreaks, Ikuto Watarai decides to go into the mountains to clear his head and dump women for good.
He loses his way and wakes up finding himself in a small, aging village that the world has all but forgotten. His saviors are three girls and they are calling him their destined "messenger" who is to revitalize their village by giving birth to a new generation.

trap mountain is on the list lmao

Duraframe300

Arcane
Sonic was murdered.

I mean good on Tails (and SEGA) that he noticed it after over 25 years, but I'd say that case is pretty cold.

Last edited:

Elttharion

Learned
Finished reading Robotics;Notes Elite today. I am slowly making my way through the series and have already reread Steins;Gate and Steins;Gate Zero and read Chaos;Head Noah plus some of the spin offs. Pretty good VN all in all. Not as good as Steins;Gate but better than Zero and on the same level than Chaos;Head. The protagonist was better this time compared to Chaos;Head too since he is not a complete moron.

The tone was pretty different from the others too, much more lighthearted, even if there are some dark moments during the story. Its obviously inspired by mecha anime and the like and it reminded me of some of the series I watched as a young'un. There is a sense that everything will work out in the end and that the characters need to focus and move forward and things will be alright. Its a nice change of pace from the mostly depressing shit I have been playing lately tho. Also seeing grown up Nae was pretty cool as well as the references to the other characters from the series.

Its no masterpiece by any means but I would still recommend it :3.5/5:

Also dont forget to install the Committee of Zero patch if you want to read this one. The port and the translation are pretty messy without it.

Lucumo

Educated

圣启示录 Sacred Revelation - *Wonderful Everyday / Subarashiki Hibi ~Furenzoku Sonzai~
The story follows a group of several Tokyo high school students mostly through July of 2012 and each chapter is told from the perspective of one of its five main characters.

Because of the same timeframe coverage, certain events are overlapping from chapter to chapter but at the core of it all is a mystery revolving around the prophecy about the end of the world on July the 20th as well as the events that are following before the said date.

血池轮回 Bloodbath Reincarnation - *3days ~Till Death Do Us Apart~ / 3days ~Michiteyuku Toki no Kanata de~
The game revolves around the main character's 3 days repeating over and over again, where he is constantly being killed in the third day of the story (in various ways) but magically being brought back to life in the first day to repeat his 3 days. Your goal here is to solve the mystery behind the death of your senpai and also to find the identity of the murderer.

A comet of unprecedented proportions appeared in our Solar System. As it drew closer to Earth, it interrupted radio waves worldwide. That day was nicknamed "The Day Television Disappeared".
The day the world lost its signal, our protagonist, Mimasaka Shingo, lost his parents. At the heart of this incident is his father's former boss, Hosaka Kenichi, on whom our protagonist has sworn revenge.

Twelve years later, Shingo meets Hosaka Nanami, a high-school student. Forlorn memories connect and bind, cementing the truth. Hosaka Nanami is... Hosaka Kenichi's daughter.
Shingo thus decided to make her life a living hell. Perhaps, when his loved ones are ripped and ground to pieces, that man might know the misery he once taught others.

Fuminori Sakisaka had life-threatening injuries in an accident. He was rescued by experimental brain surgery that coincidentally altered his perception of the world dramatically, composing of slimy intestines and gore to him.

His desire to live dwindles. While he contemplates suicide, Saya appears before him. Compared to the horrible surroundings, she looks completely normal, if not downright gorgeous. Fuminori soon falls in love with Saya, and she becomes his raison d'être. And so, he sets off to find Saya...

次元囚笼 The Other Dimension Cage - *YOU and ME and HER: A Love Story / Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi.
Shinichi wants nothing more than to lead a quiet life. Though he was once close friends with Miyuki, the most popular girl in school, his desire for normalcy now keeps them from being anything more than classmates.
However everything changes, when the class oddball, Aoi, intersects into their lives. With Shinichi wanting to help this friendless classmate, he enlists Miyuki's aid and, and thus, a trio is born.

Little by little, Aoi learns what it means to be friends. But at the same time, long-dormant feelings awaken in Miyuki's heart. As the distance between her and Shinichi shrinks, the hard-earned bonds the three share begin to fray.

百合猎杀 GirlxGirl Romance & Stalking - Who killed the Cock Robin? / Dare ga Koroshita Komadori o
Kotori is a reserved schoolgirl and is pretty much uninterested with anything around her. Weighed down by anxieties and insecurities caused by her home environment, she grows up unsociable, akin to being confined inside a shell.
Ran is an outgoing nurse-teacher; she lives her life like most other adults do. Kotori caught her attention and helps her in her own way.
Kakeru is Kotori's nerdy stalker who has tirelessly bore his unrequited love for a long time. He is persistent enough to approach her no matter how many times he is shot down.

This is their story, the story of these three individuals, the story of their intertwining fate told from each of their perspectives.

寝取舞会 NTR Dance Party - Biniku no Kaori ~Netori Netorare Yari Yarare~ / 媚肉の香り~ネトリネトラレヤリヤラレ~
Takuya is a university student. He plans to earn money so that he can go traveling with his girlfriend, Yuki. He starts working as a live-in home tutor at Otoha's house.
One day, he finds a hole in the wall. He looks into it and sees Kaori, Otoha's mother, doing her hair. It seems to be Otoha's parents' bedroom. Who made this hole? What for?

"I'll save you right away!" I try to open the door, but I can't.... I try again, but nothing happens....
"Do I need a key to open this door?" But I don't have enough time to look for it. I can't open it.... I can't open.... I can't....
"Noooooooooooooo!!" I hear your scream from inside.... I can do nothing.... You'll never come back... never....

When Takatou Keisuke came to, he found himself in a white room that he didn't recognize... He was locked in a white, closed room with six other women. All of them were confused by this abnormal situation when a "mysterious voice" suddenly announced to them:
Keisuke must become an "Unlocker" and select one of the women as a "Keyhole," then perform a specified act with her to "open the lock" so that they can all escape from the white rooms.

Will Keisuke be able to escape unharmed and return to his everyday life? Or will his very desires consume him...?

-------
The 4-char Chinese literal translations may not be representative for some VNs as I've only completed 1.

Only upon reaching their True End (if there is), can one (subjectively) determines whether a particular VN is worthy of such a label; skip text if some scenes are simply too overwhelming.

The list also has 'the 12 Demonic VNs' which cater to even more niche palates/ordeals.
Probably collated later to make an equal-number pairing (due to their very uneven quality and some are not Chinese-translated), the 12 Demonic VNs are intentionally wholly-omitted here.

Worth a mention that the 12 Legendary VNs are all pre-2014 works, so less likely to be blindsided by the fresh &/or shiny.
"Legendary", lol. Nothing before 2000 and barely anything from the 00s.

The Jester

Cipher

-------

Okinawa Slave Island
Don't google it...

430am

Educated

You shouldn't skip the slice of life sappy shit in Higurashi or Umineko. They actually play into the plot and action parts when they come up eventually and even the stupidest moeshit details get acknowledged and used. They also set up the character relationships and dynamics in the current arc. If you get like three chapters in and it doesn't work for you, play something else.
Fatamoru is probably my favorite VN, definitely worth reading and there's no moe or fanservice "downtime" so good for you. They made spinoffs for people who wanted that.
If you just want evening-sized VNs like Saya you need to adjust your expectations going in, that's almost not a thing at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom