Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

torpid

Liturgist
I have to admit that I've got lost more times than I'd like to admit, but the NPCs do give you correct directions to reach the quest objectives. And it's great, it makes it all more atmospheric and less game-y.
Honestly - I want to have a damn notebook beside me to write shit down. When is the last time I played a game like that?

I'm currently mapping it on a piece of paper: drawing little circles for the areas I'm going through, then lines between the circles, plus arcane notations. Shit's amazing

Check out Grid Cartographer. There is a thread on this site.

Where's the fun in that? I like my font-size-10-with-squiggly-arrows-for-non-euclidian-layout mapping!

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Is it me or crossbows suck a bag of dicks compared to every other option? AP costs are too high, special bolts got nothing on nades. And unlike other builds its actually gets worse the further you go.
Shock bolts are awesome. Also on lvl 8 you can get a feat that lets you start combat with a special bolt that costs 0 AP to use. Crossbow bolts don't make sounds, grenades bring in reinforcements.

I was kind of disappointed that the pneumatic loader lowers the AP cost, but not by enough to actually be of any use.
Other than that, stealth kills with snipe are pretty fun.

With a pneumatic loader enhanced xbow you can fire 2 special bolts a turn, without the marksman feat needed.
Special bolts cost 7 AP extra while that loader only saves you 4 AP per shot. You can fire one special bolt without that feat or you can use stim that gives you additional 20 AP and with this loader you will have enough AP left to fire once more in that turn.

21liez8.jpg

using this xbow (looted of bandits which took me n times to kill)

2uxye7l.jpg

ArchAngel

Arcane
Is it me or crossbows suck a bag of dicks compared to every other option? AP costs are too high, special bolts got nothing on nades. And unlike other builds its actually gets worse the further you go.
Shock bolts are awesome. Also on lvl 8 you can get a feat that lets you start combat with a special bolt that costs 0 AP to use. Crossbow bolts don't make sounds, grenades bring in reinforcements.

I was kind of disappointed that the pneumatic loader lowers the AP cost, but not by enough to actually be of any use.
Other than that, stealth kills with snipe are pretty fun.

With a pneumatic loader enhanced xbow you can fire 2 special bolts a turn, without the marksman feat needed.
Special bolts cost 7 AP extra while that loader only saves you 4 AP per shot. You can fire one special bolt without that feat or you can use stim that gives you additional 20 AP and with this loader you will have enough AP left to fire once more in that turn.

21liez8.jpg

using this xbow (looted of bandits which took me n times to kill)

2uxye7l.jpg
And your point is?

circ

Arcane
Are you supposed to be board this early on? I'm on my third test character, gun/melee guy, some rogueing. Not even close to as effective as sledgehammer but whatever. On a mission to find some chip for a driller, which I can't. Anyway. The pacing's pretty bad. All I get are quests from the head honcho, since I didn't go with psi, and they all play out the same. I raised up biology thinking I'd get a semi-regular supply of hypos going but nothing drops saliva, not even some kinda tough hp suck creature. Guns are pretty much all alike. Caliber barely matters, some have burst some don't, some have higher ap cost. Melee, same thing, only sometimes you get something with extra effects like stun or bleeding. Not a lot of difference in areas, not that it matters anyway. Combat's pretty much punch stuff, with the very rare skill use. No cover to speak of, no elevation, no flanking, no etc.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Are you supposed to be board this early on? I'm on my third test character, gun/melee guy, some rogueing. Not even close to as effective as sledgehammer but whatever. On a mission to find some chip for a driller, which I can't. Anyway. The pacing's pretty bad. All I get are quests from the head honcho, since I didn't go with psi, and they all play out the same. I raised up biology thinking I'd get a semi-regular supply of hypos going but nothing drops saliva, not even some kinda tough hp suck creature. Guns are pretty much all alike. Caliber barely matters, some have burst some don't, some have higher ap cost. Melee, same thing, only sometimes you get something with extra effects like stun or bleeding. Not a lot of difference in areas, not that it matters anyway. Combat's pretty much punch stuff, with the very rare skill use. No cover to speak of, no elevation, no flanking, no etc.

What a surprise, you joyless, board [sic] fuck.

LizardWizard

Cipher

10886.jpg

i gave it another try, maybe i had been too harsh judging the horrible fonts, i had to try some different resolutions, maybe i was in a bad mood or stuff like that.

it's even worse than i remembered.
no plans to use readable fonts means refund.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
i gave it another try, maybe i had been too harsh judging the horrible fonts, i had to try some different resolutions, maybe i was in a bad mood or stuff like that.

it's even worse than i remembered.
no plans to use readable fonts means refund.

HOW

THE

FUCK

CAN

YOU

NOT

READ

THIS:

2015_12_24_00004.jpg

2015_12_24_00001.jpg

2015_12_24_00002.jpg

2015_12_24_00003.jpg
]

???

the characters look all the same and there's very little space between each other. it's extremely tiring on the eye.
try "diseases" in the last screenshot, spaces inside the letters are so small not even your dick could fit.

but the worst offender is this other one:
C195606D20951C81F0B590982BD127F1EDB354B7

this is outright retarded and insulting.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
the characters look all the same and there's very little space between each other. it's extremely tiring on the eye.
try "diseases" in the last screenshot, spaces inside the letters are so small not even your dick could fit.

but the worst offender is this other one:
C195606D20951C81F0B590982BD127F1EDB354B7

this is outright retarded and insulting.
Only 2 genders... I feel for you.
Don't feel left out, I'm sure it wasn't intentional.
:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

Ent

Savant
Does burst fire count as a special attack for the damage boost from smart goggles?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Just finished an epic fight against Burrowers near Junkyard (there is quest with Cliff and his girlfriend). I had to use several tricks: mines, traps, caltrops, grenades, health hypos, sniper and assault rifles.

I was lvl 7 during the fight and it was really challenging: it took me several tries to get it right (lost one fight because my avatar missed a sniper aimshot with 83% chance !?). Anyway these fucks aggro like crazy.

So, was I under-leveled for this fight? And just for my curiosity: Has anyone with a stealth build fought these mobs?
Underleveled or no, I'm going to assume you fought them without shield emitters? If so you were under-equipped. Those mama Crawlers can rape you so hard with their stacking poisons and the smaller once have like 200 movement points to close the gap on you.

Yep. No shield. But somehow I had a Corsair Commando sniper rifle (200+ criticals). Also I got the impression that this is an end-game weapon.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Hit Depot A for the first time at level 7 (stealth/melee) and I am having a real time with acid. Going to have to get some resistant gear together before I can clear that out. LOVING this game.

Kill some mutated dogs and craft leather armor from their skins. They have acid protection (~7 DT !?).

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It was rough, but once I managed to get a mutant hide to craft acid resist armor it became much easier. Wiped doggies with nades and stunlocked mutants with kicks to the balls.

Wondering what stat to raise next. Any point going above 10 with Strength or Constitution? Or should I pump Agility, currently at 7, for more AP instead? I usually only get 2 hits off, 3 if I can weave in a Pummel.

I don't think you can pump AP - it's fixed to 50 and capped to 70. You can use Adrenaline shot to pump it from 50 to 70. Temporarily.

But you can enhanced your weapon with something like -20% AP. Also there are special belts for melee.

ST'Ranger

Augur

Crossbows still seem to be a more difficult option than some of the others, but it's not nearly as cut-and-dry as it was in the previous patch. Their difficulty this patch is more about needing to know/predict what enemies will do when you start a fight a particular way. They are simply incredible with the new noise system as you can pick off isolated enemies without being overcrowded next turn. I personally would not play a crossbow character without some expenditure in Traps as the combination allows for some intense battle planning.

Feats that seem mandatory are Aimed Shot, Snipe, Marksman, and Special Tactics. With these, you can open nearly every combat with Snipe (does enormous damage, generally a 1- or 2-shot kill) --> Aimed Shot (does less damage than Snipe, depending on your gear setup) --> special bolt. With good target selection, you can usually start and end smaller combats in this first turn. If you're looking at an extensive combat, Traps + the different CCs available through special bolts (immediate stun, delayed stun, incapacitate) allow you to formulate an in-depth plan to deal with troublesome leftovers.

One thing that remains true is that crafting your own weapon is absolutely mandatory. Super strings give 20% extra base damage - and this interacts with crits in an obnoxiously powerful way. Armor - whatever. Special bolts - you can buy most of them easily. But you must craft your weapon not only to get that 20% damage boost but also to optimize it for your build/initiation. An anatomically-aware Zephyr does 2.75x damage every time if you switch to it for Aimed Shot. I'm personally partial to the AAZephyr + Scoped or HR Tornado combination.

I'm absolutely in love with this character this patch. I love the extensive planning that can be done with CC chaining traps and special bolts. I love that there's a tangible silence benefit over other characters (that is extremely noticeable as soon as you hop onto those other characters). I love one-shotting those flak-wearing sniper pricks. The only thing I'm not loving is how absurd Molotovs still are, and how often my best course of action on my stealthy crossbow character is to start a bonfire.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom