Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Top Secret Alpha Protocol Info

Aw fuck the damn spy theme bullshit...

Here are some snippets from the Game Informer article.

-Obsidian, or at least Chris Parker, believes the role-playing game is evolving into a mix of player skill and character skill and cites Mass Effect, Fallout 3, and Oblivion as inspirations for the "new" type of role-playing game. All the while he is talking about "doing something different".....by making an action RPG.

-You are Micheal Thorton no matter what. Appearance changing is in however.

-You've apparently been framed and have to go underground to uncover a conspiracy "for the good of the country".

-Many comparisons to Mass Effect and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune in reference to combat.

-"There is running and gunning, but I want to make absolutely clear that first and foremost, it's a role-playing game."

-Skills will go from trained agent level to "comic book style near-superhuman" as described in the magazine. They then reference Bond, Bauer and Bourne to make it seem less batshit crazy.

-Skill system is closest to Fallout, as it is classless and has ten skills with ten ranks each.

-Skill system supposedly "opens up new possibilities" with each rank instead of making you just marginally better.

-Hypothetical "multiple choice" scenario described like this:

#PC is in a hallway and hears a guard's footsteps.

*Use remote explosives
*Jack Bauer his ass with a pistol from behind cover
*Use those Dexterity points and snap his neck.

-Bullet time ability called "Chain Shot" is described where Micheal slows down time, pops out of cover, assesses the situation as the player "marks" targets, then returns time to normal and pops a cap in all the marked target's asses.

-Critical hit system requires skill in the weapon being used and for the player to target the enemy for a certain period of time to allow the reticule to display a critical threat indicator before shooting.

-Characters won't be able to be "maxed out" and will be slightly specialized. They believe maxing out would make for a boring, and game laking in unique playthroughs for different player types.

-Dialog trees are gone. It uses a "stance system" in order to maintain "cinematic flow". From the description, it seems as though players pick one of three stances, one for each J.B., a suave/smooth one, a cool professional one, and a brash/EXTREME collar-grabbing one. They say that someone who wants a Bond alike can just set it to suave and set the controller down. Apparently it can be changed midway through, but operates on a timer, "to maintain the flow of a real conversation".

-Obsidian is trying to not only reward one-track conversationalists, but those that swap in between as well.

-Game structure sets you off with names of informants across the globe. You go to an informant's locale, do preparatory missions, and then do a big mission that ties in with the overall story arc. If I may make a guess, seems like KOTOR/Mass Effect's hub style game.

-Sample mini-mission details getting crucial information from a contact. They say you can bribe, persuade, or Jack Bauer the informant for the information and each gives you a different reward. Bribery gives you access to the informant's network, diplomacy yeilds less information than bribery but looks more "agentlike", and killing him less info and more loot.

-They want mini-missions and how you solve them to tie in as much as possible with the whole of the operation. "We want to improve how the game reacts to your choices, how these consequences play out."

-Obsidian is trying to make players think about possible repercussions instead of trite good/evil morality.

-Obsidian wants all paths to be equally rewarding. They don't want players "missing out" or thinking they need to reload saves constantly to get the best end result.

-Variety of romance interests that may be introduced in the main storyline, but the actual romances themselves are said to be sidequests. "Nothing is preventing you from bagging all of the chicks."

-Game is emphatically stated as having strong third person shooter tones in addition to being an RPG. Just so you know...

-"By the end of it, your pants will be off." MCA

I've got to say a lot of it looks very promising, especially the parts about choice and consequence and trying to compensate against meta-gaming and maximizing. Though I can't help but feel the dialogue system is anything but stupid and I get the lingering feeling that this could easily end up Mass Effect without aliens and space. The character art shown looks rather silly and not in the good way. It could easily change however. And I really am not a huge fan of the serious emphasis on action, but I trust Obsidian will at least attempt to balance and pace things out well and not have us fighting hordes of Lieutenant Expendables in boring gunfights a la actionized orc caves.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Also cocks.

Andhaira

Arcane
Stop spamming.

Also, this is shaping up to be the buggiest obsidian game yet!

Starwars

Arcane
Can't say I'm thrilled with the overall direction of the game, especially not the whole "new RPG" rubbish. I certainly hope that Obsidian will keep developing more old school games along with these new types of games. Not thrilled by focus on action, and even less on a Mass Effect type of system.

I also fear that this may walk to closely to Mass Effect, except when it comes to the setting. If that happens, it will likely not do any good to the "Biowares little sibling" reputation. I also most certainly do not care for the whole "cinematic is better" thing. I want my good old dialogue choices.

But yeah, some of it is promising as well. Focus on choice&consequence is of course great as always, but I tend to be cautious on developers promising this.

Can't say I'm thrilled, but we'll see. Still waiting for an action-RPG that I actually find fun.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well, so far Obsidian has a nice trackrecord with their games. I'm more than willing to be cautiously optimistic about the game. Heck, when was the last time some developer tried something original like this?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Obsidian said:
fallout 3 fallout 3 fallout 3 fallout 3 fallout 3 mass effect mass effect mass effect mass effect oblivion oblivion oblivion oblivion

well, this gotta be that "each 2nd - shitty game" of Obsidian.
I do hope Alien RPG won't at least sound such retarded.

but making 2 "evolving" arpgs in a row...

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I am not sure if this dialogue system is a good idea. So all that happens is that you choose a stance and it all happens on its own?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Wyrmlord said:
I am not sure if this dialogue system is a good idea. So all that happens is that you choose a stance and it all happens on its own?

apparently so.

<line>
You choose either:
:cool:
:evil:
:twisted:

There u go. Cinematic

Anaglyph

Novice
You can always be assured of some quality game design when the word "cinematic" is used.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Sounds a bit like the dialogue system they used in Bladerunner. That system wasn't great, the game was though.

People can piss and moan all they want, but frankly I'm glad to see some originality. It remains to be seen wether the game will be any good, but at least it's something else than the same old tired fantasy crap. Sounds like it might offer quite a bit of replayablility as well.

There asre some things in there that might or might not work. Still, these guys made MOTB. Which easily was the best old school roleplaying I've seen in ages. So I've got some good hope.

BTW I just realised what game this one reminds me off. Damn, I'm getting old.

http://www.links.net/dox/warez/games/microprose/covertaction/

ricolikesrice

Arcane
also dont forget that the press info about MOTB sounded pretty retarded too.....

i remember that interview where they used the word "EPIC" almost every 2nd sentence and how crappy it felt / how much it lowered my expectations for MOTB.

same time now, all this "fallout 3", "oblivion" , "next gen" crap *might* be just PR talk, not their actual inspiration for the game.... least i hope so.

i hope its something along the lines of vampire:bloodlines in a not-so-serious spy theme.
(with not-so-serious i mean NOT having silly jokes all the time and villains with super powers.... i mean more "bond-like" )

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
yeah i'm hoping for that too. Should be quite fresh.
Bond-like would be terribly cliched. I'm leaning more towards serious espionage minus the romantic part. But there's no way they gonna leave it out eh? As long they don't go the path of Metal Gear Solid (No fucking way that game is espionage but they put it on the CD Case Cover title! WHY DO YOU LIE?) of random villains with tragic past and super powers, it shd be great.

MetalCraze

Arcane
RK47 said:
Wyrmlord said:

apparently so.

<line>
You choose either:
:cool:
:evil:
:twisted:

There u go. Cinematic

and where's the copyright?

mjorkerina

Scholar
They say that someone who wants a Bond alike can just set it to suave and set the controller down. Apparently it can be changed midway through, but operates on a timer, "to maintain the flow of a real conversation".

I am speechless. Obsidian is going into even more wrongs than Bethesda did. The dumbing down goes even to give the possibility for retards not to care about dialogues. Yay for next gen RPGs.

MetalCraze

Arcane
it can only mean that Obsidian got screwed with MotB sales.

I don't see another excuse for them making 2 shitty games - at the same time.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
skyway said:
it can only mean that Obsidian got screwed with MotB sales.

I don't see another excuse for them making 2 shitty games - at the same time.

Who told you they need an excuse. And has nothing to do with MotB sales. The company's course is mass console-orientated market. Just accept it and stop having illusions. And all the "this is an rpg" tag they're boasting about sounds very much like Beth's bullshitting about Fallout 3. They sound apologetic for no apparent reason. And I'm afraid the similarities to Beth don't stop here.

Zomg

Arbiter
Dialog trees are gone. It uses a "stance system" in order to maintain "cinematic flow". From the description, it seems as though players pick one of three stances, one for each J.B., a suave/smooth one, a cool professional one, and a brash/EXTREME collar-grabbing one. They say that someone who wants a Bond alike can just set it to suave and set the controller down. Apparently it can be changed midway through, but operates on a timer, "to maintain the flow of a real conversation.

Ugck.

Alex

Arcane
Edward_R_Murrow said:
(...snip)
-Dialog trees are gone. It uses a "stance system" in order to maintain "cinematic flow". From the description, it seems as though players pick one of three stances, one for each J.B., a suave/smooth one, a cool professional one, and a brash/EXTREME collar-grabbing one. They say that someone who wants a Bond alike can just set it to suave and set the controller down. Apparently it can be changed midway through, but operates on a timer, "to maintain the flow of a real conversation".

-Obsidian is trying to not only reward one-track conversationalists, but those that swap in between as well.
(snip...)

Even Return to Zork had 4 stances... And they were smat enogh to make sure you eventually had to use them all to solve the game.

Edward_R_Murrow said:
-They want mini-missions and how you solve them to tie in as much as possible with the whole of the operation. "We want to improve how the game reacts to your choices, how these consequences play out."

-Obsidian is trying to make players think about possible repercussions instead of trite good/evil morality.

This would be good news if not for:

Edward_R_Murrow said:
-Obsidian wants all paths to be equally rewarding. They don't want players "missing out" or thinking they need to reload saves constantly to get the best end result.

The Feral Kid

Prophet

YUCK!!!

It's official. Obsidian want to compete with Beth for the most dumb(ed) design decision ever.

Black

Arcane
<mjorkerina> "Dialog trees are gone. It uses a "stance system" in order to maintain "cinematic flow". From the description, it seems as though players pick one of three stances, one for each J.B., a suave/smooth one, a cool professional one, and a brash/EXTREME collar-grabbing one. They say that someone who wants a Bond alike can just set it to suave and set the controller down. Apparently it can be...
<mjorkerina> ...changed midway through, but operates on a timer, "to maintain the flow of a real conversation."
<SoundW> hm
<SoundW> nice description of dumbing down
<mjorkerina> it's even worse than oblivion
<mjorkerina> this is quite the amazing prowess

Zomg

Arbiter
I dunno about dumbing down, but I like dialog trees, and Obsidian was good at them - I was looking forward to that work, with Mitsoda's being a special interest after Bloodlines. Now it's all gonna be in a different idiom.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom